Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I had to take my car to the garage today so as I would need to take the bike and ride home I decided to go a long way home around some villages that I hadn’t been through on a bike before. As I haven’t got the patience to plot the route on Garmin I looked at a real map and wrote a few directions down for the bits I had never been to and hoped that there might be some signposts!
Dropped the car off in Clive and headed off down the hill to Yorton, past the tiny station and turned to Grinshill. It’s a pretty village with some very nice ( and expensive) houses along the bottom of the hill. Next was a short stretch on the A49 before turning off again to Acton Reynald and onto Moreton Corbett. The helicopters from Shawbury were practicing low flying while carrying loads under the helicopter which was a bit off putting as it flew over.
Onto new territory now I followed the lane to Stanton upon Hine Heath and had a quick check of my directions before deciding which lane I wanted next, a bit of a long drag up to Booley which was worth it for the view. A bit more climbing through the woods past the shooting ground to Kenstone where I was back on roads I recognised. Turned towards Weston Under Redcastle, which is another pretty village, passing Hawkstone Park Follies and the golf course before heading back to cross the A49 and head to Wem.
Had a long wait in a long queue at the railway crossing before heading up the Whitchurch road to Creamore, Ryebank, Edstaston and a wander around Whixall before heading home. 26.5 miles in the sunshine around some lovely parts of Shropshire.
It was still sunny when I set off again this evening to collect the car although it was a bit windy. Took the slightly longer way back to Clive via Nonely, Myddle, Balderton and Yorton because I don’t like the road out of Wem to Clive.8.7 miles.

65DA5BAE-32A6-49D4-A89E-B0644A2908F8.jpeg

EB9767E4-E42E-426B-A1E9-037798BD31C0.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A rare saturday morning free so i went on a club ride .There must have been over 20 turn up for 3 groups today unlike my usual sunday when im billy no mates !
Struggled from the start even though the pace would what i would have called reasonable in days gone by , getting dropped on every incline and hanging on at the back on the flat ,It just goes to show how much fitness i have lost due to injury and lack of group rides .
Shoulder still sore by the end

1653134777095.png

1653134722968.png

1653134623004.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Out the door just after 05:30 this morning, through Stamford by 07:45, into Boston for breakfast by 9:45 and landed in Skegness around 12:00, there was a train at 12:15, so straight to the station and onto the train, didn't even see the sea. I'd told our lass I was planning on getting the 14:15 train and I would be home by six. Walked through the door just after 15:30 with 8 cans of cider ^_^

108 miles, 6 hours riding time. 3 hours on the blooming train.

1653149717716.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/7178049071

cyberknight

Out the door just after 05:30 this morning, through Stamford by 07:45, into Boston for breakfast by 9:45 and landed in Skegness around 12:00, there was a train at 12:15, so straight to the station and onto the train, didn't even see the sea. I'd told our lass I was planning on getting the 14:15 train and I would be home by six. Walked through the door just after 15:30 with 8 cans of cider ^_^

108 miles, 6 hours riding time. 3 hours on the blooming train.

View attachment 645654

https://www.strava.com/activities/7178049071

saw it on strava earlier , well done

Alex321

Veteran
Finally back on the bike, 9 weeks after my smash. Got it back from the LBS yesterday, and just went for a quick round the block (unrecorded) then.

Just went out for a nice gentle 9.5 mile ride tonight, with no intention of pushing hard, trying to see how my shoulder reacted - the broken wrist is now healed better than the shoulder (rotator cuff) is.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7180573581

All went nicely, and surprisingly quick considering not pushing and 9 weeks off.

13 rider

Guru
Finally back on the bike, 9 weeks after my smash. Got it back from the LBS yesterday, and just went for a quick round the block (unrecorded) then.

Just went out for a nice gentle 9.5 mile ride tonight, with no intention of pushing hard, trying to see how my shoulder reacted - the broken wrist is now healed better than the shoulder (rotator cuff) is.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7180573581

All went nicely, and surprisingly quick considering not pushing and 9 weeks off.
Good to hear your back on the bike

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A recovery ride after last weekend's Bryan Chapman 600 (I did ride 40k to the pub & back on Wednesday). Our club social ride was advertised as 68k, but I doubled that by riding from home and back again. Only five of us at the start, and a fairly hilly ride via Bickleigh, Cadleigh, Crediton, and Tedburn.
Weirdly enough, I started feeling quite tired but got progressively stronger and faster as the ride went on. Feeling rather enervated now though.
social.JPG

cyberknight

A rare saturday morning free so i went on a club ride .There must have been over 20 turn up for 3 groups today unlike my usual sunday when im billy no mates !
Struggled from the start even though the pace would what i would have called reasonable in days gone by , getting dropped on every incline and hanging on at the back on the flat ,It just goes to show how much fitness i have lost due to injury and lack of group rides .
Shoulder still sore by the end

View attachment 645612

View attachment 645611

View attachment 645610
Note to self .......
dont try taking mini ck 2 swimming afterwards ! leg cramping up as soon as i tried to kick

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Relatively nice day today, though there was a cold bite to the air and a stiff Westerly breeze. I headed out North and up to the Glider school. It seems to be idle flying conditions because the place is a hive of activity as folk get the planes ready.

P1010233.JPG

Before long I'm into the first section of forest and solitude. The going is a little tougher because the current drought has turned the soil to sandy dust and the wheels are all over the place. I do love being out here, so close to civilisation, but there is a real feeling of solitude.

P1010234.JPG

Over the next kilometres the trail changes from gravel to sand and back again, one or two folk are around though, it's all older folk on their E-bikes, I'm always amazed given the quality of the trails that I I'm not seeing more gravel bikers. After 20 kilometres or so I arrive at the Lake and sit down for a break.

P1010236.JPG

I take a small off-road detour here and head up through the sandy trails of the Heide and onto the top of the "hill" where a large boulder commemorates the Wild Fire disaster in the seventies. A poignant reminder from history given how dry everything is from the last weeks without any significant rain.

P1010240.JPG

From here, the trail turns once again to gravel and an arrow straight Wald Autobahn leads on for several kilometres through the forest, I pick up a fair bit of speed and fly along listening to the sounds of spring that fill the air. There's not a soul to be seen on this stretch at all and after several fun kilometres I turn of onto a connecting track. During the winter this was a complete mud bath here, but the current weather has seen it dry out completely and turn into a fun roller coaster ride section. A few kilometre later and it's back to gravel as a break in the trees brings me to a small heather clad clearing.

P1010245.JPG

Heading on I reach Reberllah and then onto the gravel section beyond. The forest again closes in and the kilometres roll on by.

P1010249.JPG

Before long I'm back at onto the last trails and then the last kilometers lie ahead on smooth tarmac. I roll back into the garden after 44 kilometres, covered in dust and happy, a nice mornings ride in the spring sunshine.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Opened the curtains to rain so delayed start. Headed off over the Trough of Bowland, through Dunsop Bridge to Gisburn Forest. Ventured into the woods to find the cafe favoured by the large number of mountain bikers. Then up to Bowland Knotts with views across Ingleborough and Penyghent. White knuckle descent through Keasden, Wray and home. Good wildlife day with Curlew, Oyster Catcher, Lapwing, Deer and a stoat. Overall 91 km or 57 miles with 1400 m of climbing.

Pictures of Trough of Bowland (just seen I’ve caught someone walking up), Bowland Knotts and views across to the Dales.

6B960538-4CED-4B94-B8C8-21A4D815A47C.jpeg

A29866EB-3AA3-4A32-A3EE-2B60B58A0871.jpeg

E2DE5966-6B3D-41BD-A4DB-C77065BAC3AE.jpeg

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I planned a route going out into Herefordshire for a bit of lumpiness, which I have neglected as of late.

Out just after six, somewhat overcast, and a bit fresh, but I soon warmed up going round St Peters and into town. The first destination is the climb to Clifton, so out of Worcester towards Martley for the most direct route.

The roads were quiet, and I was feeling good, so made it to the Teme in good time. The climb to Clifton from the river is about 1.5 miles, with an average of 6.5%, and no let up to the very top. I managed the whole climb in one go for the first time, and didn't even need to stop at the top.

The village was still very quiet except for a dog walker who greeted me with a very friendly good morning. My plan was to continue on the main road until I reached the Bromyard Rd and then turn for Bromyard. Unfortunately, I was daydreaming and I went straight through towards Tenbury. I didn't realise my mistake for quite a while, I was half way to Tenbury before I thought that I should have hit the Bromyard Rd by now 😅. Sure enough, a check on google maps showed that I was way off course. I didn't fancy carrying on an having to climb out again, so decided to double back, scrap Bromyard and return via Tedstone and Whitbourne back to Knightwick.

The lanes down to Whitbourne are quite narrow and VERY steep in places, but I made it in one piece, though rather slowly considering I was going down the hill.

From Whitbourne I headed out to the A44, which was still quiet at this time of the morning, and this last bit was quite easy and quick.

Finished the ride with 44.4 miles and some 800m of up. The map
Screenshot_20220522-173035_Connect.jpg

Top Bottom