Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Big cycling bucket list check for me today, my first ever imperial century. Weather had been crap all week and wondered if we'd get out but 19° beautiful sunny weather made it so.
Broke it down into 4 lots of 25 miles with a cafe/pub stop at each. First 25 took it steady, next 25 felt good so settled in well, next 25 it all went wrong and I felt empty at times but the last 25 were completed on pure adrenaline and joy 😊

Not something I'd want to do every week but the sense of achievement is amazing. Lots of cyclists out today enjoying the bank holiday which was amazing to see.

IMG_20220602_191547_e.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Big cycling bucket list check for me today, my first ever imperial century. Weather had been crap all week and wondered if we'd get out but 19° beautiful sunny weather made it so.
Broke it down into 4 lots of 25 miles with a cafe/pub stop at each. First 25 took it steady, next 25 felt good so settled in well, next 25 it all went wrong and I felt empty at times but the last 25 were completed on pure adrenaline and joy 😊

Not something I'd want to do every week but the sense of achievement is amazing. Lots of cyclists out today enjoying the bank holiday which was amazing to see.

View attachment 647366

Well done

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd planned to do a "proper" ride today but circumstances were somewhat against me..

By early evening irritation at being stuck inside on such a (now) splendid day pushed me past the malaise and out onto an off-road route near the house that I usually walk; since the roads really didn't appeal. That's usually only about 6 miles and inevitably got extended with some tow path action out to some more southerly villages then back home via a few quite roads and more tracks through farmland.

A very sedate ride of around 16 miles at 10mph but over less comfortable terrain than usual; the mindset throughout being only to sit on this glorious machine and put in as little effort as necessary for it to perambulate me around the countryside :smile:

Last edited:
As predicted, four laps on the Scott. Front gearing was, and is, crap. Lost count of the hours I've spent on this. May just reduce it to a double and only have 39-30 on the front. At least I might be able to make it work without it trying to grind the front cage off...

Surprising amount of upness considering I'm riding around a lake, but then this is Devon.

Very busy today, as expected. Weather fabulous. Sunburn! Great apart from one complete nobber, and the usual selection of dummies who seem to forget they are walking along a road, not a footpath.

Nobber: At the north end of the resevoir is Norsworthy bridge. It's wide enough for a large van, tops. As I'm starting the descent to it, I am passed by a, you guessed it, BMW. As I get onto the bridge, he is turning in the space beyond the road, by those parked cars. He then drives to come back across the bridge, arrogantly waving me aside. I get across, but have to dive off to one side, to the left of the X, to avoid a sideswipe. Grrr... Having observed few people around as I approached, because there can be lots of pedestrians about, I uttered choice words at considerable volume. A*sehole.
The bridge...
Screenshot (15).png

There will hopefully be yet more miles tomorrow, but I'll be leaving the damned Scott at home.

Screenshot (14).png

Set out on a long overdue planned route up to Newark and heading back through Southwell and Nottingham. Wall to wall sunshine, great cake game, little to no wind, relaxed pace……just one of those nice days really!

Leaving at 0730 I made the 40 mile trip up to Newark and was quite surprised to arrive there in just over 2 and a quarter hours, and about 5 minutes before the Harbour Master cafe opened up. Using that time to take a few photos of the Castle Barge and the Castle right on the River Trent, I was perched outside the cafe in the warm sunshine albeit slightly shaded and before long my coffee and cake was served up. Today’s offering was a salted caramel Victoria sponge style cake topped with a giant chocolate button and chunk of Cadbury’s caramel. Melt in the mouth, strong cake game today 11/10! 👍🥰

Heading back through the lanes towards Southwell, a long but steady drag out of there before descending into Oxton and Calverton where I had another go at George’s Hill. Not the most brutal climb I’ve ever done but taxing enough to get the HR up to beyond 200bpm! Definitely lost a yard or two of pace since last year!

From there I dropped down the other side into Arnold and onto the Nottingham ring road. As always when riding through towns and cities average speed always tanks due to cycle lanes, traffic and junctions but then I wasn’t in a hurry in any case!

Weaving through Long Eaton and Castle Donington, dehydration set in with about 7 miles left to go and I literally had to stop to alleviate the leg cramps I was getting! Looking down at my jersey that was covered in salt from my constant sweating and hovering over the button on my phone ready to contact Wife’s taxi for a local pickup, I composed myself and instead cracked on the last stages of the ride. Temptation to push on to get the 100 miler was quickly dissipated and I got home having done 12 miles short of target, in 5 and a half hours ish. Still a great ride all the same!

View: https://youtu.be/mJ9foAed-tI

B787594B-7DB7-4CB3-B34C-0761B712E93D.jpeg

D017CD3D-8266-42D5-B9E8-FE80DAA8AFC9.jpeg

BE966A38-D2E4-4116-ABFC-A86FA008CA68.jpeg

8D040FD4-640B-488E-9E46-57F6E31AE73A.jpeg

334784D3-0041-4AFB-888C-812AD55F4E35.jpeg

B0D790C8-42A4-44C9-8D7C-BA811202795D.jpeg

13 rider

Guru

View attachment 647366
Well done

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

View attachment 647366

First one is the hardest, well done :bravo:

gavgav

Guru
Took advantage of the Bank Holiday, to get my first June Half Century Challenge entry in. With the forecast of rain from mid afternoon, I set out just after 10, with an Easterly breeze blowing, but still pleasantly warm.

I went out through Meole Village, where a street party was being set up on one of the suburbian roads, before joining the main road to Hook a Gate and Annscroft. I turned into the breeze there, but it wasn’t too strong, through Exfords Green, where it started to rain! That wasn’t forecast, but only light stuff. I called in at Dad’s for half an hour and whilst there it rained a bit heavier for a few minutes, but soon stopped and thankfully that was the last of it on the ride.

I left Dad and went to Gonsal, having to wait a while to cross the very busy A49, then came across a road blockage, due to some pothole repairs taking place. The chaps had filled the road with their truck, but asked if I had enough room to squeeze past, which I just about did by walking the bike through.

Next was Ryton and the lane to Longnor, where I didn’t meet a single car, which was nice, did meet 6 cyclists out though and all enjoying the nice sunshine that had now made it out. I met more cyclists on the lane towards Leebotwood and I then began the long climb up Comley and Shootrough, gears were annoyingly playing up again, trying to move from 1st to 2nd gear on their own…When almost at the top, I met a couple cycling down and had a friendly “keep it going” bit of encouragement from the chap, which was nice 👍🏻.

The descent into Cardington village is always good fun, then it was onto Gretton and turning towards Church Preen and Kenley. The wind really picked up along there, being funnelled along the valley and of course it was a headwind!

From Kenley I descended to Evenwood and then turned along the Roman Rd at CoundMoor, before taking the lane that winds around to Cound. There is a good downhill section there, but the surface isn’t great. Had a bit of moment along there, as I approached an elderly lady with walking stick, from behind, who was walking out of danger on the RH side….but when I rang my bell to warn her of my presence, decided to just cross over into my path without even turning her head to look 🤦‍♂️. I managed to avoid her by swerving onto the other side that she’d come from!

The lanes to Eaton Mascott and Berrington were car free, then it was onto Betton Abbots and home via a surprisingly quiet A458. I was really surprised at how little traffic there was on the roads today, considering it was a Bank Holiday, perhaps everyone is either at the coast (where I’m heading tomorrow) or at a street party.

33.27 miles at 12.4mph avg. Really enjoyed that.

A couple of shots across the lush green land.
2820C9AA-BEE3-4214-9DC2-7D3AF5C315FE.jpeg

C02B98FC-4AB5-4328-B96F-32AB384066C9.jpeg

ianbarton

Veteran
That's useful to know. Any alternative (ie less strenuous) routes from that direction?

There are a couple of possibilities. You can ride into Whitchurch and take Chester Road out to the A41. This is a busy road and you need to cross a roundabout. A short downhill section takes you to Grindley Brook where you can turn left into the Old Malpas Road, which is generally quiet and has a gentle incline up to Malpas.
Alternatively, before crossing the main road to No Mans Heath you can take a left turn along Flag Lane. After crossing the A41 cycle along Bradley Lane, which joins up with the old Malpas Road. A few more quiet lanes from Bell O'the Hill take you to the Old Malpas Road.

13 rider

Guru
A ride with company today since Covid Leicester cycle chatters rides have been a rarity due to a variety of reasons but when @tallliman posted in our thread he was headed to Nice Pie today did anyone want to tag along I rearranged my weekly food shop and was in , unfortunately no one else could make it at short notice . Out the door at 0930 straight back in for arm warmers and rain jacket finally off to the meet point at Cossington. I had literally just stepped off my bike when @tallliman rolled in . A quick chat and a very rough route agreed were off . Up Humble lane out to Gaddesby across the A607 on to the rolling terrain and up the big climb of the day Ashby Foeville drop . To Great Dalby the Little Dalby ,I'm sure the last time I went this way I hit the tarmac due to ice no issues today . A couple of is it left or right here at junctions and we navigated our way along the lanes through Stapleton to Waltham on the wolds . The climb out of the village puts on the ridge of the vale of Belvoir and here we were treated to a tailwind to the cafe . Made Nice Pie still my favourite cafe but it's now alot busier than when we first started visiting and getting a bit more expensive . A very relaxed stop before more tailwind to Paudy lane which is a steady 4 mile descent but the tailwind turned to more of a cross wind . At the bottom we parted company I went left home via Mountsorrel and Rothley were I came across a road closed due to street party . I polited asked if I could wheel my bike through which everyone was happy with, a couple of hundred yard walk and I'm back riding in a car free road .Back home with 55 miles in the bag , @tallliman clocked 56 . A lovely ride chatting away it had been to long planning a future ride were hopefully we can get the whole gang back together

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Though I had ridden at least one each of 200, 300, & 600, I still needed a 400 for this year's Super Randonneur series. So Friday morning I set off for Exeter to start my Exeter-London at the recommended 12 noon.

The weather was kind and there was a stonking tail wind for the first part. I stopped quite early for lunch, and generally tried not to go too hammer & tongs at it - the reason being that I had accidentally booked the return train for after 5pm and I didn't want to hang around for too long.

In fact I finished before 12 on Friday, but found a good little Italian restaurant which occupied me for a while.

I had one puncture somewhere in the crappy gravelly lanes, but it sealed without losing much pressure.

Wells Cathedral
IMG_20220602_165741147_HDR.jpg

Riding in the dark
IMG_20220602_225646133.jpg

The route
Exeer-london.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom