Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
After having two rides scuppered over the bank holiday, one because the alarm didn't wake me up, the other by the weather, I took advantage of my birthday holiday for a spin before going out to lunch with the delicious Mrs C R.

I faffed about too much setting off, so was limited to about an hour and a half of riding time. Local loop via Pershore was the solution. A bit over 27 miles for the first ride of my fifth decade, quite enjoyable, though a couple of drivers got a bit too close.

The map
View attachment 647931

Happy Birthday 👍🏻

Day 2 of cycling in Wales and despite there still being thick cloud, it was dry and a little milder than yesterday, so we started out in t-shirts, but still not shorts weather.

More hills were the order of the day, on another new route for @Rickshaw Phil, one I’ve only done once before. We set off down the main road to Llanbedr, which was quiet and then climbed up through Pentre Gwynfryn, to join some of yesterdays route, for a short while, before we turned off in the direction of Harlech and began the more serious climbing. We’d not long been climbing, when we met the dustbin lorry, which filled the narrow road and so we had to drop back to a gateway to let them through. There are a couple of gradient arrows up that road, but great views over the coast.
View attachment 647929

View attachment 647930
We reached the crossroads and then continued up over the mountain pass, with stunning views either side, of mountains, including Rhinog Fawr, Rhinog Fach and Snowdon in the distance, plus the Llyn Peninsula coast. Lunch was taken at the summit and we both gazed at the view whilst munching away.
View attachment 647932

View attachment 647933

View attachment 647934

View attachment 647935

View attachment 647936
Next is the exhilarating descent down to Eisengrugg, with multiple single and double gradient arrows. Phil was a bit more daring with the speed than me, so got away a bit, before I caught him up at the gate and then a 1 in 4 drop down to the main road was highlighted by the burning smell coming from my brakes 😬 We’d dropped just over 900ft in about 2 miles.

The main road from there, up towards Harlech, was nice to cruise along on the flat for a while, with very little traffic, before we wound our way up the climb, into the Town Centre. It’s a pull up there, but that’s the least hilly route there is to get there! We had a plan to stop for homemade ice cream, at the best shop there is in the area, for me, just up from the castle. I enjoyed a very nice Salted Caramel waffle cone 😍
View attachment 647938

View attachment 647939

View attachment 647940

We then looped around to the facilities, for a comfort stop and then get another gradient arrow climb up out of Harlech, along Ffordd Uchaf, then the descent down to Llanfair. There is a short section along the cycle way that runs parallel to the very busy A470, as far as Pensarn, where we were following the NCN route 8 on lanes again through Pant Goleu, back to Llanbedr.

I chose to take the main road back from there, as the other routes were back along gradient arrow roads and my legs were complaining by now, of 2 days of hills. That wasn’t a pleasant few miles, as we had at least 3 morons providing us a with very close passes, plus 2 of them straight into the path of oncoming traffic. That road really does attract idiots.

Back in Dyffryn I turned us off 1 junction sooner than intended, but no harm done as it ended up on the road we wanted, via a couple of residential streets.

The sun had started to come out during the last few miles, which warmed things up again and we’d had a good ride of 20.74 miles and 1858 ft of climbing.
Looks like a great trip in a lovely part of the world! Nothing changes with the weather, looks similar to my Snowdonia ride a couple of months back, warm bright sunshine when I left Chester, cloudy and freezing west of Bala.

theloafer

Legendary Member
ride out to the coast . started off well wrapped up (June and still in leggings ) went via NCN1 at Wynyard and the castle Eden cycleway but once we arrived the sun made an appearance ^_^ . the return route was for speed the A179 past Hart and picked up the the cycle way we came in on . then on to Grindon over the A177 to stillington- great stainton then on to aycliffe 55 miles

https://www.komoot.com/tour/798519295
IMG-20220607-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220607-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220607-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220607-WA0004.jpg

C R

Guru
Happy Birthday @cr 🎂
If I've read that correct slightly disappointed you didn't do 50km for your 50th

Not half as disappointed as I was, I wasted too much time getting ready and I just couldn't fit the distance in the remaining time.

I had grand plans for two imperial halves over the long weekend, but on Thursday my alarm didn't go off, and Sunday was a wash out, so lucky to get those 27 miles in yesterday. At least I got a park run PB in my last run in the 45 to 49 age group.

gavgav

Guru
Day 3 of cycling in Wales with @Rickshaw Phil and his last day up here, so we took to a tried and tested route that has a bit of everything, including finally some sunshine and pleasant warmth, out of the breeze, so shorts were donned.

We set off down the main road to Barmouth, not too bad considering how busy it was and then dropped down to the promenade. We got held up for a short while, by temporary traffic lights, before climbing up out of the town and crossing Barmouth bridge, which was busy with walkers. They’ve also replaced some of the rotting planks, since I last crossed it and unfortunately they seem to have made it even rougher!
AA97056E-99FD-4AD4-B0E7-832C2FA83FE8.jpeg

We paused for a comfort stop, at Morfa Mawddach and unfortunately my bike decided to spontaneously slide down against the wall and scraped paint off the frame 🤬🤬 I wasn’t in the best of moods after that, for a few miles up the estuary, but the beautiful scenery helped me get back to enjoying myself again.
5AE92F43-7B3D-4143-9672-ADADEE1A811B.jpeg

281E65DA-D2E0-4C89-A87F-0B1706864437.jpeg

The Mawddach Trail was busy with cyclists, the majority of whom were in a cheery mood and some walkers who seemed to all be miserable! We arrived at Dolgellau and decided to stop for lunch, on the opposite side of the cricket pitch, for a change and found a stone circle. It didn’t look particularly ancient and a quick google tells me that it was built in 1948, ready for the National Eisteddfod of Wales which was held there the following year.
3AF36893-9AB8-4CBB-9C0C-637BF42C55EF.jpeg

We set back off through the Town Centre and then began the steep climb up Ffordd Bodlondeb, into the foothills of Cader Idris. It’s a tough climb, not helped by 40 very hilly miles over the past 2 days, but we wound our way up, arriving eventually at Cregennan Lakes, my favourites spot in Wales. There were a few cows around where I normally stop and so we continued to the car park area and took some photos from a different angle for a change.
A96E7BC0-937A-405B-8B67-2C10B9E48DB2.jpeg

C81FAE54-5EF0-475B-A560-977B03FBC58A.jpeg

4FD8FDF3-91B8-4FCA-84C7-8CCD0666E7B9.jpeg

We then climbed away from the lake, enjoying the stunning view back over Barmouth, before enjoying the descent of around 800ft in just over a mile.
13460F5F-23D1-47D1-9380-4E80AFD81555.jpeg

We had a short section on the main road to Arthog and then rejoined the Mawddach Trail, to retrace our steps over the bridge, which was a bit quieter now, other than a bottleneck near the Troll (no not a typo!!) House. We then had the misfortune to have to pull over, due to the sound of motorbikes crossing behind us. 3 German plated bikes had driven over the bridge!! I couldn’t believe their nerve and shouted at them to point out they shouldn’t be crossing the bridge, but they either didn’t care or didn’t speak any English, probably the former 😡

I’d had a text message off Dad, just as we’d crossed the bridge, to say he was in Barmouth, on the prom, having enjoyed an ice cream, which was where we were also heading. So we dropped back down and along the front, with me spotting Dad as we did. He joined us at the ice cream shop and looked after the bikes whilst we made our purchase. A White Chocolate Mountain cone for me today, very nice sat in the sun it was as well.

We then climbed back up to the main road and headed back up to Dyffryn, busy along there again but only 1 fairly close pass from an Audiot who was about to then overtake a car that was slowing down in front of them to turn right, but he luckily thought better of it.

A very enjoyable 33.32 miles and 1454ft of climbing. A great 3 days, with weather of all sorts but good fun.

buzz22

Über Member
I had plans to start increasing my distance today but 13 degrees with a strong icy wind (cold for Sydney) kept me off the more exposed highway.
Instead I dipped into the more protected environment of the Royal National Park and did some hill work on my 80's Shimano tricolor equipped "Throwback".
The recent addition of my 'BB' sticker on the head tube (intended to stand for "Buzz's bike", my sons say it stands for "Big Bastard") made unsurprisingly no difference to the torture this particular hill smacks me with every time, and I cursed the designers and their descendants once again as I ground my way up.
All was forgiven when I reached the top and headed for home, the brutal headwind on the way out now a very welcome tailwind.
40km total at around a 23km/h average was a little slower than I hoped but I'll blame the wind. Or the cold. Or the hill.

20220608_123223.jpg

20220608_123232.jpg

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Just about wiped out by some daffodil coming home from work today. Indicating to turn right, overtaken on my right as I make my manoeuvre. Bounced off his front wing, ribs are very sore after his wing mirror clipped me. Driver didn’t stop, but I should have their registration thanks to the driver behind having a dashcam fitted.

Luckily this driver was one of our local GPs doing his rounds, so after a quick assessment suggested a chest x-ray. Sitting in A&E at the moment. He said he will send the footage over tonight, as well as call me to see how I am.

The bike appeared fine, as I walked the 200 odd meters home from the incident. I will check it out thoroughly when time allows.

ianbarton

Veteran
Luckily this driver was one of our local GPs doing his rounds, so after a quick assessment suggested a chest x-ray. Sitting in A&E at the moment. He said he will send the footage over tonight, as well as call me to see how I am.

The bike appeared fine, as I walked the 200 odd meters home from the incident. I will check it out thoroughly when time allows.
At least the bike was OK :becool:I hope you didn't have to wait too long in A&E. A friend of mine came off his motorbike a couple of weeks ago. The next morning his ribs were sore, so he went to A&E. He had to wait 17 hours before he was seen by the doctor who had been working on his own. Two broken ribs, but needed no further treatment.

ianbarton

Veteran
The first sunny day for a while where the wind wasn't blowing. I set off for Wem on my usual route through Prees. I turned left by the church and lost all the height I had just gained crossing the A49 for the second time. Passing Wem industrial estate and the level crossing I pulled up at the library cafe for lunch. The sandwich was its usual high quality and after a second Americano I was sorting out my bike outside the cafe. The phone rang and it was Her Indoors who had been out to see a relative. "Where are you", in an angry tone. "I told you not to lock the door because I couldn't find the car keys with the back door key on them". The fact that three other keys hung up in the kitchen she could have taken didn't impress her.

I said it would be about an hour before I got back. This was a lie because it would take about 90 minutes ^_^ I set off for home and my pulse rate was in the red almost all the way back. She had gone to the supermarket and arrived back a few minutes after I got home. Another tongue lashing!

Despite the "Unfortunate event" I really enjoyed the ride. Almost no wind and sunny all the way round. A total of 56km and 400 metres of climbing.

Wem library cafe on the right.
vlcsnap-2022-06-08-15h23m16s952.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
Lessons to be learnt.
1) Turn your phone off. Why spoil your day by worrying in advance about the shoot sandwich that will probably await you anyway.
2) The Husband is always wrong, especially for turning his phone off. "I could be dead!" Obviously isn't, judging by the sound level.
3) The Husband is always wrong even if he has not got psychic powers. Just because he hasn't, doesn't mean he isn't wrong.
4) The Husband is always wrong even when he knows he's irrefutably right. Just not often wise to say so. This is a land beyond logic.
5) The Husband is always wrong.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I have finally decided to try clipless pedals and today was my first attempt with them. I have managed thousands of miles perfectly well on flat pedals but have been persuaded that clipless will be better/easier/faster!
I did the usual practice by a wall so that you can’t fall before venturing into the garden ( for the soft landing on the grass😂) , managed to fall twice ☹️ before deciding it would probably be easier on the quiet lanes.
I headed off towards Northwood and turned off to Bettisfield through to Hanmer, Breadon Heath and Welshampton. Stuck to the quiet way down the lanes to Brown Heath and Loppington, across to Horton, Ryebank, Edstaston and remembering that the lane home was shut at one end headed back towards Northwood and home. 26 miles and only one bad moment on a hill.
I’m sure it would be better/easier/faster if you didn’t fall off🤣 although it was definitely better on the road than in the garden. More practice planned before any group rides!

C R

Guru
I have finally decided to try clipless pedals and today was my first attempt with them. I have managed thousands of miles perfectly well on flat pedals but have been persuaded that clipless will be better/easier/faster!
I did the usual practice by a wall so that you can’t fall before venturing into the garden ( for the soft landing on the grass😂) , managed to fall twice ☹️ before deciding it would probably be easier on the quiet lanes.
I headed off towards Northwood and turned off to Bettisfield through to Hanmer, Breadon Heath and Welshampton. Stuck to the quiet way down the lanes to Brown Heath and Loppington, across to Horton, Ryebank, Edstaston and remembering that the lane home was shut at one end headed back towards Northwood and home. 26 miles and only one bad moment on a hill.
I’m sure it would be better/easier/faster if you didn’t fall off🤣 although it was definitely better on the road than in the garden. More practice planned before any group rides!

I started using clipless about a year and a half ago, mostly because my feet tended to fly off the pedals during fast descending. However, over time, my pedalling technique has definitely changed without me noticing, because now when riding my commuter with flat pedals I need to make a conscious effort to not pull off the pedals.

In summary, I didn't think it would make a lot of difference, but it definitely does.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just a 7 miler today, but something a bit different for me, as the Women's Tour of Britain came to town with a stage finish in Gloucester. I set off for the docks via our local canal bridge and a public footpath that I had never known was there ..... running parallel to the canal and meeting up with Rea Lane near the banks of the Severn at Hempsted. I wasn't completely convinced bikes were allowed, so I did this bit a little furtively. A nice little patch of woodland where I was accompanied by the sound of a cuckoo.
DSCF1223.JPG

I'd set off in a hailstorm and then ridden in gloriously sunny weather, only to arrive in Gloucester docks to find a monsoonal downpour sweeping waves of water across the pavements. I ducked into a hospitality tent with a bunch of sliltwalking cyclists until the worst had passed
DSCF1225.JPG

I picked my way to a nice spot right on the finishing line, where I was able to keep an eye on my bike, and my mate Simon turned up on foot to join me. Got there just in time to see the finish of the stage.
DSCF1229.JPG

DSCF1236.JPG

We stuck around to watch the presentations ....
DSCF1240.JPG

... and then wandered around behind the scenes chatting to some of the police outriders and watching the team buses leave.
DSCF1242.JPG

DSCF1245.JPG

I was under orders to get myself home on time as we were off out to a gig in Bristol later on, so we made tracks across the docks to fit in a swift pint at Tank before going home. On the way, we caught a bit of the BMX exhibition that was going on in the docks.
DSCF1248.JPG

All in all, I have to say I was quite impressed with the slick operation being put on for the stage finish. The men's tour has a finish in the same place in September, but I reckon I'll probably ride over to a good hillside location instead to watch that one going through the county. I've always been on holiday in France when the Tour of Britain comes nearby, so I have some catching up to do. Just the 7 miles today, but I think I'll get out for a proper ride on Thursday.
EDIT: I've just watched the stage on TV, and it shows like an A-Z of Mark Rigby's Tewkesbury audaxes ..... like an amalgam of the best bits of my favourite three 100km audaxes, with other very familiar parts of our Kingsway CC club rides thrown in. Showed part of my home patch in a very good light. I have suffered up those two Cat 2 climbs up Worrall Hill and Speech House several times. I just can't believe the climb up St White's Rd in Cinderford wasn't categorised!

Last edited:
Top Bottom