Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I have now managed 2 rides using the new pedals without any problems!
It was still a bit blustery here this morning and I decided on one of my regular routes as there was no group ride today.
Set off to Horton and into Loppington before turning off to Nonely and Myddle. A bit of a moment when one of the farm dogs which likes chasing cyclists was on the lane, it only made a halfhearted effort at chasing me luckily and I escaped before it’s friend came to join in. Carried on up the hill and down Lower Road to Merrington, Old Woods then across to Eyton and Baschurch where the road is still closed. I went the opposite way to Stanwardine, Bagley carrying on to Hordley and down a newly resurfaced lane to Tetchill and past the marina into Ellesmere. The usual quiet way to Welshampton before taking a detour to Bettisfield back to Northwood then home. 35.5 miles in the sunshine.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Having spent the afternoon dilligently trying to improve an item that I value and succeeding in facking it right up, I couldn't remain stewing inside the house.

Out down the bridleway by the house again and to the tow path, but this time heading north instead of south. This new route proved "varied"; with terrain ranging from wonderfully curated wide, flat, open hard pack mud to areas that were horribly overgrown with plenty of hidden hazards in the form of jagged bricks, roots and worse sections where the bank had collapsed leaving gaping holes in the path surrounded by wet, slippery mud :rolleyes:

I had a few close calls and tbh am surprised I didn't come off given how grotty it was in some places and how unaccomplished my bike handling skills are.. At least I can be confident that my "shitthebedunclip!" reflex is alive and well..

I was very impressed by how the Conti Sport Contact II's handled the nasty terrain as I lost track of the times I felt that sickening feeling of the rim bottoming out through the tyre onto something hard / pointy, but thankfully I got away puncture-free - perhaps partially as I've been running more pressure than usual.

Persistent fear of injury / drowning notwithstanding I really appreciated the tow path's timeless charm and the escape it allowed from a world that increasingly feels like it's in the death-throes of an epoch.

The natural end of the tow path excursion was my local town, which was always a hole when I was growing up. I do my best to avoid it now, but much as I hate it on paper, it acquitted itself well tonight as I rode through one of the larger parks with groups of yoofs chilling in the glow of the setting sun. Aesthetically the place looks a lot less grotty than I remember, although the hallmarks of small-town decay remain there for all to see and I know from folks who live there that all's not as idyllic as it might seem.

On my way back I became increasingly peckish, however all of the chippies I passed were closed so there was no fish to be had tonight and I made do with an apple before making my way home along some more rural routes joined up by some fairly quiet roads.

All in all I managed just over 23 miles and a meagre 500-odd ft of climbing at around 11.7mph; scored by 2 solid hours of Joy Division :biggrin:

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did a quick ride up the local pass today. The altitude gain was...not massive, as the village is at nearly 1200m. Still, 5k at 3.4% isn't too shabby for a pre-dinner spin.

Attachments

• 20220612_182319.jpg
    20220612_182319.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 6

13 rider

Guru
I'm up in the Peak District this week near Buxton . A few weeks ago @roubaixtuesday (I think ) posted about Longhill out of Buxton was closed to motor traffic so that was today's route . Off from Earl Sterndale drop into Buxton to climb out on Longhill . The first section of the climb 2 cars past me then after the turning for Goyt valley I never saw another person of any description for 4 miles to where the road is completely closed to everything just past the Shady Oak in Fernilee . So about turn and backup and down back to Buxton .

20220613_075817.jpg

20220613_080151.jpg

Absolute isolation .If your in the area I would certain recommend the ride to nowhere .I would image when traffic is allowed it would be an unpleasant ride to the narrowness and a lot of bends with double white lines .
Today's Stats 22 miles ,2300ft of uppness

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Planned to do 60 miles today and ended up doing nearly 80 as my mate insisted the grub at Flamborough head was worth it which I'm pleased to say it was.
Doing C2C camping trip next month so decided to use the MTB to see how it faired on a longer run than I'm used to, no adverse reports except I want some bar end grips as my wrists are in bits.
Managed some off road riding too which was incredibly fun.
Some teething issues with the new grouspet but now I know can sort it in time.

Friendly sheep
20220613_115304.jpg

Bit of grass tracking.

20220613_133105.jpg

Flamborough lighthouse, didn't get a pic in front of it for the thread unfortunately

20220613_142702.jpg

Good food, would recommend

20220613_144853.jpg

Hornsea rail trail which never gets boring

20220613_190134.jpg

IMG_20220613_210513_e.png

Last edited:
A short ride on the Scott, to check gearing as much as anything.
It's good at the rear, OK-ish at the front, certainly nothing like the grinding mess it was.
The trails were not busy so average not too bad. Weather fabulous, although still cold at midday along the NCN270 Viaduct Walk.
Enjoyed the ride, the Scott gets the nod for the next one too.
Screenshot (17).png

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Planned to do 60 miles today and ended up doing nearly 80 as my mate insisted the grub at Flamborough head was worth it which I'm pleased to say it was.
Doing C2C camping trip next month so decided to use the MTB to see how it faired on a longer run than I'm used to, no adverse reports except I want some bar end grips as my wrists are in bits.
Managed some off road riding too which was incredibly fun.
Some teething issues with the new grouspet but now I know can sort it in time.

Friendly sheep
View attachment 648873 :rolleyes:
Where are you starting from? I am doing it too next month, starting from Whitehaven, over 3 days.

Bit of grass tracking.

View attachment 648874

Flamborough lighthouse, didn't get a pic in front of it for the thread unfortunately

View attachment 648875

Good food, would recommend

View attachment 648876

Hornsea rail trail which never gets boring

View attachment 648877

View attachment 648879

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@gavroche We are doing St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay 160miles, think it's a GCN inspired route and takes us through the lower lakes which we've fancied for a while. Also aiming to complete in 3 days including another 60 miles back home to Hull.
First time riding with proper loaded bikes though and know Hardknott and Wrynose are gonna be killers so have allowed 4 in case, plus we want to enjoy it ^_^.
Good luck to you!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Not posted on this thread for quite a while. 11 1/2 miles today on my usual short loop. Not much traffic thank God. Quite warm as well.

Attachments

• 20220615_110758.jpg
    20220615_110758.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220615_105620.jpg
    20220615_105620.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220615_104450.jpg
    20220615_104450.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220615_104814.jpg
    20220615_104814.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220615_104701.jpg
    20220615_104701.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 9

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

With some lovely weather in the forecast it looked good for getting in the challenge ride for June. My usual early alarm was set and I got out on the road just after seven using the Galaxy.

I'd enjoyed my ride up to Lake Vyrnwy so much last time that I decided to do it again using mostly the same route but with a few minor variations thrown in just to make a change. The roads were quiet but I stuck to the cyclepaths along the old bypass as far as Shelton then took the road to Bicton and Montford Bridge before turning off for Little Ness, Great Ness then Pentre.

Last time I came this way I needed to take a diversion past The Royal Hill due to a road closure - this time I chose to go the same way as it would allow me to stay on quiet roads for longer. I made for Crosslanes then turned before reaching Maesbrook along the lanes past Llwyntidmon Hall and Waen Wen to get to Llynclys where I paused for my first snack stop.

The day was warming up nicely so I took off the fleece I'd started in before carrying on up the Tanat Valley. The first couple of miles of this road was fairly busy this time then quietened down a bit as the bulk of the traffic takes the Llansantffraid turning.

I seemed to be getting along unusually well as I headed along the valley - partly due to the better bike and partly due to a gentle tailwind. Cruising speeds were often around the 16/17mph mark whenever the road was flat enough as I passed Llangedwyn and headed for Pedairffordd. The first bit of real climbing starts here, and again seemed easier on this bike. The road into Penybontfawr has been surface dressed since last time, which looks good but now all the surface defects are hidden (lumpy patches mostly) so it's difficult to avoid them. :thumbsdown:After a pause for a drink stop in the village it was onwards up the bigger climbs of Cwm Hirnant and down into Llanwddyn, greeting a couple of riders coming up the hill. As I climbed up towards the dam one of those riders caught me up again, overtook and rapidly disappeared into the distance as she headed off to do a lap of the lake.

I had my next snack stop by the dam with the great view down the lake. When I got going again it was great riding along the flat road with hardly any wind about and this was reflected in some decent cruising speeds as I headed round. There were a handful of other riders about including the one who had overtaken earlier coming past in the other direction again.

With that lap done I headed to Artisans for a coffee - they were doing a good trade so that there weren't any spare seats outside. A couple kindly invited me to share their table and we chatted for a while (they were over from Essex on holiday). After they left I noticed another cyclist admiring my bike and ended up chatting wih him too (he was on an ICE trike so I took as much of an interest).

My second lap of the lake was more stop-start than the first as I paused in various places for photos. Initially I was getting along pretty well when cruising but as I got round the lake I found the gentle headwind taking the edge off the speed and by the time I got to the dam again I was feeling really hungry so it was just as well I'd intended to stop here anyway to eat my lunch.

With a metric century already under my belt I generally take the second climb over the hills gently. On the steepest section my legs were warning me that I may have pushed on a bit too hard earlier in the ride (especially as I'd only done a couple of shopping rides since the trip to the coast a week ago). Almost at the top of this climb there was a tractor with a flail cutter coming down the hill doing the grass verges - just as I was passing it there was a loud bang and the cutter stopped abruptly. Looking back I could see the cutter had a cable snagged in it and the way it was stretched taut suggested it was firmly anchored somewhere beneath the undergrowth. The cable looked pretty thick to me - more so than the cables of the lines strung overhead - so my thought was that it may have been an armoured power line.:ohmy:

As has become habit of late, I carried on climbing to take the alternative way back to Penybontfawr via Cwm Fedw. With the legs having given a warning on the earlier climb I knew I needed to take it very easy on the climb over to Pedairffordd - I've cramped up on this climb before and I think it's because it looks gentler than it is, lulling me into trying to ride it a little too fast.

Once past that climb I knew I'd be able to get on fairly well back down the Tanat Valley. I avoided pushing much on the climbs and made the most of the general downhill trend so made fairly good time back to Llynclys. Another snack stop was called for and as well as finishing the flapjack and crisps I opened the bag of sweets I'd brought to be sure of having plenty of energy for the last 20 miles or so (wine gums this time as my local shop had run out of jelly babies).

Heading back past Waen Wen was not only light on traffic but is mostly slightly downhill in this direction so made for nice riding. I did take the B4398 into Maesbrook as it was quiet, then retraced my tyre tracks from the morning on the lanes to Crosslanes, The Royal Hill and Pentre. I hadn't been looking forward to the climb over to Great Ness so took the alternative route through Shrawardine and Montford to Montford Bridge. It's more undulating this way but I found it easier on the legs than 150' of climbing in one go.

Unfortunately I couldn't avoid the climb over to Bicton so had to plod at it - a couple of warning twinges got me dropping into a lower gear but I got up it alright. This road wasn't overly busy but today I didn't feel like mixing it with the traffic any more than I had to so got off it and took the longer but flatter way past Gain's Park, through the new estate at Bowbrook (they've finally got round to fully surfacing the road so it's nice and smooth), and headed through Nobold and Meole Brace with the legs feeling surprisingly fresh all of a sudden.

107.23 miles on the clock at 14.1 mph moving average. Really pleased with that. It was a great ride overall and I was pleased at how friendly everyone on the road was this time - I got waved past by drivers several times and didn't have any overly close passes. If only I hadn't bumped the handlebar and put a tear in the bartape when I got home.:rolleyes:

20220614_080739.jpg

On my way between The Royal Hill and Crosslanes with the Breidden as the backdrop.

20220614_093632_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A quick drink stop at Pedairffordd.

20220614_100442_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Heading along Cwm Hirnant.

20220614_101741_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Looking back down Hirnant Bank. This was the first Queen Of The Mountains climb in last Thursday's Womens' Tour of Britain stage.

20220614_103519.jpg

The classic first view of the dam......

20220614_103622.jpg

........ and the view up the lake.

20220614_115301.jpg

I've done my first lap of the lake and had my coffee. The view of the boating centre as I start the return lap.

20220614_120449.jpg

There are bluebells still in bloom much later than at home.

20220614_121236.jpg

At the other end of the lake; the view from Pont Eunant.

20220614_123755_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Nearly back to the dam again - the view from Pont Cynon.

Top Bottom