Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A warm one today and tired legs but still managed a 40 miler with an average of 15.9mph.
24CFB657-1B44-4C04-8A50-9E14FAC8EF8C.jpeg

56B75646-2A59-4D12-9FF1-714CB1295B06.jpeg

BF722749-2BCB-4914-B781-3465A8C2CFF5.jpeg

B378DE63-1110-4F5C-B3CA-26B7EF74E149.jpeg

C R

Guru
Whoop whoop a whole half a mile tonight completed ^_^
Hopefully will be doing another ride tomorrow

Great to hear.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My exotic new toy took me out for an evening ride today. Just 31 miles but including a section I have always regarded as forbidden territory. The confidence to tackle such inclines was one of the reasons for getting the machine, naturally.

The steepest hill is called Stallion Hill which I find quite amusing. I'm extremely unfit but I sailed up OK. Well out of breath at the top.

The light was lovely once I had the sun behind me!

Upleadon.jpg

And here is the route:

Upleadonmap.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Postscript to yesterday's ride.
For lunch, I grabbed Pasty #7 The Fixed Gear again, got some fish and chips, and headed down to The Waterfront in Ipswich to eat them. Just after finishing, I was called over by a woman to see if I could help some poor, old chap who'd fallen into the marina and just couldn't make it back onto the quay. I hauled him over the edge, whereupon he promptly collapsed. Did the Frist Aid I'm trained to do and summoned the boys and girls in green to get him to A&E.
I then went home and had a sherry.
Now, for obvious reasons, I don't have a photo, but I do have one of the stag beetle I found on its back in the afternoon and also rescued.
IMG_3046.jpg

Today's ride? A quick spin over to the hospital on Patsy #3 The Hybrid for some emergency attention for myself: a reoccurring eye problem that needs dealing with quickly. Phew! It's been an 'interesting' twenty-four hours!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Postscript to yesterday's ride.
For lunch, I grabbed Pasty #7 The Fixed Gear again, got some fish and chips, and headed down to The Waterfront in Ipswich to eat them. Just after finishing, I was called over by a woman to see if I could help some poor, old chap who'd fallen into the marina and just couldn't make it back onto the quay. I hauled him over the edge, whereupon he promptly collapsed. Did the Frist Aid I'm trained to do and summoned the boys and girls in green to get him to A&E.
I then went home and had a sherry.
Now, for obvious reasons, I don't have a photo, but I do have one of the stag beetle I found on its back in the afternoon and also rescued.
View attachment 649222

Today's ride? A quick spin over to the hospital on Patsy #3 The Hybrid for some emergency attention for myself: a reoccurring eye problem that needs dealing with quickly. Phew! It's been an 'interesting' twenty-four hours!

Crikey - I think you're winning! :laugh:

The first half of today was concerned primarily with both tidying and drinking in approximately equal measure. By lunchtime the mid-day sun had driven us off the thankfully-now-more-ordered patio and the last beer had been consumed. The Routier remained defiantly propped in the dining room following the last utility run, and so was pressed once more into service.

Inevitably the sheer "this is bloody great"-ness of it all took hold as soon as I was out, so the sub-mile ride to the co-op was extended to include the next village for some eggs then back along a bit of gravel track and some bits owned by someone who evidently doesn't like cyclists.. although my ongoing defiance is yet to be challenged!

Beer and salad were had from the shop and the faithful old Raleigh propped back in the corner of the dining room (the Genesis permanently occupying the other corner :tongue:).

Probably all of about four miles on something that's worth less than half a tank of fuel, but immensely pleasant regardless :becool:

theloafer

Legendary Member
yesterdays ride .. my usual route over to Reeth and to the Dales bike centre not far from the start of the swale trail. Piercebridge through Aldbrough ST John over the A66 to Richmond and along the Swale valley to Reeth. had to start with a bacon+egg sarnie and coffee . looks like they have been doing lots of work on the trail paths more defined new gates looks loads better than when i was over last time .
once you reach Gunnerside the trail crosses to the other side and heads to Keld and my next refuelling stop, then up to Tan hill no time for a pint though ,headed down the rough track to Bowes into Barny then the lanes to get back to Shldon and the cycle path home . 78 miles and was 72 f almost all the day

https://www.strava.com/activities/7321896496
20220616_115857.jpg

20220616_121056.jpg

20220616_123553.jpg

20220616_125233.jpg

20220616_131216.jpg

20220616_142259.jpg

20210819_132448.jpg

20210819_140553.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Upon waking this morning it was immediately clear that remaining trapped inside the house / my own head was not an acceptable option, so after a bit of mincing I was out on the CdF with the singular goal of just getting out.

I'd kind of hoped to get out and back during the earlier, cooler part of the day but ended up going out at about 11 - nicely maximising exposure of my pasty skin to the mid-day sun :rolleyes:

I headed out west on the road this time, having resolved to leave the tow paths alone on account of the various obstacles encountered previously and the desire for an undemanding ride today. A few villages passed and I headed off down a bridleway and through some farmland I'd not visited since last year:

IMG_20220617_112723.jpg

Most of the track is hard packed mud but some has been resurfaced with large / coarse rock; which was responsible for many pinch-punctures last year. This time a lot of it appeared to have been moved / broken down and I thought I'd got away with it..

Coming up the other side of the valley the track tops out at around 15%; which on the loose dirt and gravel called for the lowest gear while still in the saddle to keep some mass over the back wheel. Looking back at where I'd come from:

IMG_20220617_114017.jpg

Following the bridleway took me across a stretch of fast rural road, down another track with a significant downward gradient and through a local estate. It wasn't all like this, but this is my ideal of "gravel" and if I had many uninterrupted miles of this at my disposal I'd be very happy :smile:

IMG_20220617_114728.jpg

I stopped in the shade to take another pic and noticed that the steering had become particuarly defiant; thanks to a now totally flat front tyre :sad:

IMG_20220617_115600.jpg

I walked the bike to the junction above where there was some more grass, flipped it over and began the familar routine. While patching the tube I was passed by a number of people - most of whom it seemed had no manners; ignoring me when I said hello out of common courtesy.

The experience was further "enhanced" by the presence of many horse flies - this becoming apparant when one bit my leg; although I crushed it apparently before it could do any more damage and I think I've avoided the usual nasty outcome of such bites. I had two of it's mates afterwards too - unlike other flies they seem pretty pre-occupied with sucking one's blood and less concerned for their own safety.

The puncture turned out to be the result of a single pointy thing (rather than a pinch) and doubless yet another that would have been a non-issue were I running a tubeless setup.

Once rolling again I followed another assortment of roads and off-road tracks; the details of which I won't bore anyone with. I'm lucky to have found some decent bridleways and while a totally off road ride is never going to happen, I reckon I can do 30-40% on tracks, with most of the rest on quieter roads.

Another shortish off-road section that I discovered last year:

IMG_20220617_123507.jpg

Unsurprisingly by this point (maybe 15 miles in) the water in my solitary bottle was looking increasingly scarce but I wanted to do a few more miles.. I stopped by a church en-route on the off-chance that they had an outside tap - which thankfully they did and my bottle was replenished! Time will tell if I live to regret this..

Whilst at the church I also spent a bit of time at the grave of my grandparents; something I never usually manage otherwise - perhaps because I'm a terrible person.

Onward down some more deserted tracks and past a farm that apparently has a lot of bees. On a previous ride I'd seen a lot of folks in bee suits evidently learning about bees, while I personally love bees. Upon passing was thrilled to learn the bees apparently share my geo-political leanings, so couldn't resist a photo.

IMG_20220617_132909.jpg

On through a few more villages and one final crap phone pic with wonky colour balance:

IMG_20220617_140950.jpg

While bearable when I left, the sun was really starting to cook me by this point and I'd begun periodically removing my cycling cap; worn to protect my growing expanse of forehead but also making my head sweat significantly.

In all I managed a little under 35 miles and 1900ft of elevation at an average of about 12mph for a little less than 1800kcal burnt.

Thanks to some weights yesterday and hanging on for grim death over some of the rougher terrain my upper body felt decidely tight (while I'd pulled a muscle in my back trying to get the hat back in my rucksack pocket) so I've hung off some stuff for a bit, done a few stretches and popped a few bits of my neck that don't usually oblige - finger's crossed I manage to avoid the usual tension headaches later / tomorrow..

While pretty knackered I certainly feel better for the ride now :smile:

*EDIT* - Appears that I've not escaped unscathed as my forearms are turning a deep shade of lobster with a clear demarcation line where my sleeves ended. I'm off to sit in the cold shed and think about what I've done..

Last edited:
There are few things worse than waking up with a start at 4:30 in the morning; one is waking up with a start at 4:30 in the morning realising you forgot to set the alarm.

After extensive experimentation, I can now say with some authority that swearing doesn't slow time down. Fortunately I managed to catch the tram to central Stuttgart.

2022_06_Holiday_01a.jpg

...and caught the train. Then I remembered that Stuttgart has a period in the morning when bike carriage on trains requires a ticket.

2022_06_Holiday_02.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't remember when that was, or when I would reach the edge of the Official Stuttgart Metropolitan area. I solved this by not saying anything when the ticket collector came by.

With the 9€ ticket causing a lot more people to use trains I don't think he cared...

2022_06_Holiday_03.jpg

As we approached Freiburg, passenger numbers increased and I suspected I was approaching peak hours again. I bailed at Lahr im Schwarzwald. The sign said my town was about 30km away. It's not that long ago that I'd have thought of 30k as a fairly long ride. As it was, it was a sort of "Utility Tour"; I was touring, but also schlepping all manner of stuff for being with the family...

2022_06_Holiday_07.jpg

Out of Lahr, and there was the road...

2022_06_Holiday_05.jpg

And villages, which I didn't get lost in, honestly.

On arrival I swapped to the Xtracycle to go shopping.

2022_06_Holiday_08.jpg

Longtail bikes are obviously heavier than tourers, especially since I added that great slab of hardwood on the back, but my goodness they're comfortable to ride and stable when loaded; I'd still be hard pressed to decide which one to ride if I went on a multi day tour...

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Out the door at 5:30 this morning to take advantage of the cool air, and did a local loop keeping to the flat so I could just cover some easy miles quickly, before the roads got busy.

Cycled into Leatherhead then did a loop of Cobham > Ripley > Send > Guildford (High Street cobbles, the wrong way!) > Albury > Dorking > Leatherhead > home. Stopped off in a few places - a tea cake overlooking the River Wey (or Wey Navigation), and the Silent Pool, which is where a spring emerges from the chalk below Newlands Corner and fills a beautifully clear pond (well, it looks clear when not chocked with weed). Did a frantic sprint down a hill but was too cautious on the half-way bend; damn, nearly 44mph.

The A24 was lovely and quiet still, so I ignored the cycle track and pretended I was doing a TT on the carriageway. Until my lungs tried to jump out of my body. Finished at a slightly slower pace...

43 miles done.

Cloud reflections in the River Wey
1655548479624.jpeg

MBIFO water/bridge/boathouse/boat/etc , take your pick
1655543725428.png

Funky chimneys
1655543742700.png

Queue at the vet
1655548259605.png

1655548279226.png

The geezer at Abinger Hammer, needs a bit o' paint.
1655548323872.png

Wootton church with Ranmore behind
1655548375455.png

Attachments

• 1655543697282.jpeg
    1655543697282.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2

13 rider

Guru
A bit of a catch up , I've been up in the peaks near Buxton for a week's holiday . As Buxton is a metric century ride from home I had persuaded big sister to drive up leaving me free to ride up .After much debating about which bike to take my TCR disc brake equipped with comfy 28mm tyres but with high gearing (53/39 to 11/30) or my trusty Defy rim brakes with 23mm tyres pumped hard but lower gearing (50/34 to 11/28). The decision was the Defy a,I need the gears . Out the door at 9.45 into a crosshead wind I would have all day . Over familiar hills leaving Leicestershire into Derbyshire then dropped into the Trent valley and over the river at Repton . After a bit of flat the roads start to head upwards as the peaks district comes into view .Rolled into the planned cafe stop at Darley Moor on 40 miles done with not quite half the climbing done with 25 miles to go so up it is . Much to my disappointment I found the cafe closed :sad:. Next place was Ashbourne so I should find something there . Couldn't find anywhere suitable in the centre as I had only bought my light cafe lock . Found a little sandwich shop just leaving the town pulled over to be told we closed at 12 and it's now 12.15 :sad:. Press on and the proper climbing starts . I plotted a route round Tissington over Tissington hill a gated rd just as the gradient kicked up got to the first gate . I opened the gate closed it and got on the bike and literally could not start again on the 15% slope so a short walk to the next gate 150yds away before I'm riding again It's now constant up or down no flat bits at all . Beginning to feel the effort now . Due to not stopping for food I was ahead of schedule so I knew there was a cafe in the village before our accommodation so I headed there for some much needed refuelling. I had just sat down when my phone rang it was big Sis she had been following me on our tracking app "were 5 mins away see you soon" was the conversation so I was soon joined my big Sis and my brother in law for lunch .After lunch and a wander round the village checking out the local pubs it was time for one last climb up to the accommodation. Made it 66 miles 4993 ft of upness of which 3000ft of it was in the last 25 miles .

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Day 1
After yesterday's ride I was out the door at 8.00 for around an hour exploring the local roads .
Left Earl Sterndale on the quiet lanes to Hurdlow across the A515 to Moneyash looping back to Flagg and Brielow bar before the climb past the quarry followed by a super fast descent to home for the week ,16.32 miles ,1660ft of uppness ( that was my flat route !)
Day 2
I have posted about this ride before up the closed road of Longhill (it's long and a hill :laugh:) out of Buxton and back ,22 miles ,2333ft of uppness
Day 3
The legs are in bits today on Monday we walked around Ladybower reservoir and on Tuesday it was site seeing and shopping in Buxton ,so let's go for a really hilly ride !
Out the door at 15.00 straight downhill to Longnor then the climbing starts on lanes upto Flash bar . Constant 10% hills then down and repeat did a short 20% ramp which made my legs ache I was just about still moving but the wahoo kept pausing I was that slow . After reaching the high point of Flash bar quite a bit of fast descent following by more climbing from Glutton bridge to Earl Sterndale .14.3 miles with 2064ft of uppnessat 11.9 mph I think my slowest ever road bike ride
To be continued

Last edited:
Top Bottom