Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Last week got progressively hotter and hotter here – the temperature peaked at 37C on Friday. I managed a ride every day but it was hard work. I haven’t missed a day on the bike since 11 March and I was determined to keep going – even if it meant my first ride of the day wasn’t until 9pm when all I really wanted was a shower and some dinner.

We’re back to normal ‘Atlantic’ weather this week thankfully – and a chance to recover some lost mileage. A ride of two parts today – a 34km meander around the local countryside, including a loop around Brignac – followed by a quick sandwich and a refill of the bidon. Then I put the road bike in the van and drove to Mauron. A 36km ride down the V3 Voie Verte to the start of the ‘circuit des hortensias’ at Grancastel/Ploërmel and then back to the van. After offloading the bike when I got home, I went out on the mountain bike for a short cool down ride. 74 enjoyable kilometres today and some distance clawed back. Some of June’s biking targets are looking a bit more achievable again this evening.

Blue hydrangeas at Grancastel

Circuit des Hortensias pic 5.JPG

A ‘full zoom’ view of the chateau at Bois de la Roche. It’s apparently only one-twentieth of its original size, ie pre-Revolution .. and I’ve often wondered where some beautifully dressed stones inside my house came from..

Bois de la Roche chateau pic 1.JPG

Hay bales near Bois de la Roche

Bois de la Roche hay bales pic 1.JPG

The quiet Voie Verte near St Guinel

V3 at St Guinel pic 2.JPG

Another quick bimble on the Scott today. Not going to get much more in this week, trip to Southmead Hospital for various scans and spinal injections on Wednesday, unable to travel back for 24 hours afterward. Still, I might break a ton for the month if the weather plays ball.
The Scott is still playing ball, long may it last. I love this bike when it works well, it just seems to have spells...
Parts of the trail are very overgrown now, had to stop to let others past at the south end of 270, and then, near Crowndale road, the school fence had collapsed onto the track due to the overgrowth of dog roses.
20220620_134021.jpg

20220620_134057.jpg

Pics don't really do it justice. It couldn't be ridden around, and walkers were single file dodging it.
Otherwise, not too busy, and the3weather great if a tad breezier than I like, but then I'm a wimp, remember?
Screenshot (18).png

theloafer

Legendary Member
had a little jaunt to Durham today with Eddie Young and tony mostly off road route out to Stillington then pick up the Wynyard cycle path then up NCN1 up to Haswell . turned west heading for Durham which we entered a long the riverside path right into the centre. we sailed through the traffic crossed over the A167 to Broompark to head home a long the old railway line into Bishop then Tindale Shildon and the cycle path back to Aycliffe . great day out and no mishap's
1f923.png
1f923.png
52 miles

https://www.komoot.com/tour/816202472

GOPR0043.JPG

GOPR0042.JPG

GOPR0044.JPG

GOPR0045.JPG

IMG-20220621-WA0000.jpg

GOPR0046.JPG

Mike_P

Guru
Since last post the ebike has clambered up a further 5750ft in just 85 miles; its return route invariably following a very dodgy cycle route due to the lack of markings on a shared pavement round a bend to come alongside the A61 smack at a petrol station exit that equally has no signs to indicate the presence of a cycle route. Needless to say a low speed, one hand on a brake lever and a foot ready to hit the ground are essential but tonights hazard for a change was a cat dawdling across the A61 on a collision course. I stopped; the cat stopped. Come On I said waving my hand as I would pedestrian and the cat obeyed; plodding across in front of me in no great haste to disappear into the shrubbery to the side.
A61 cat.jpg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
A lovely warm and sunny evening, so I got out for my first ride in exactly 2 weeks. Other plans, coupled with a skin reaction on my hands has put pay to rides recently, but steroid cream seems to be working, therefore much more comfortable now, gloveless though going forwards.

There was a fairly gentle northerly breeze, to begin with, and would be behind me for the 1st half of the ride, as I headed out onto the A458, which was heaving with traffic and notable for a moronic overtake from a Morris’ truck, into the path of someone turning out of the A5 slip road. To this moment I still don’t know how they missed each other and I was waiting for the sound of metal on metal, down the sides of both cars, but somehow they avoided it. Idiocy of the highest order and an E mail has been sent to the company.

I then turned onto the road to Betton Abbots, climbing up to Cantlop, through Pitchford, Acton Burnell and Frodesley, before pausing at Longnor for a much needed drink. It was warm out there now. There was quite a lot of farm traffic about, which had necessitated a few pull ins to let them through, but the lane to Ryton was completely free of traffic and indeed anyone else on foot or bicycle, so I cruised along quite nicely, despite now riding into the breeze which had strengthened a little, but not too bad really.

I then turned down to Gonsal and had 3 cars on the narrow lane leading to the A49, where when climbing the steep bank I had a bad chain jump in bottom gear, standing on the pedals, which almost fetched me off. I need to get that sorted, as it’s not been right for a while…

I stopped at dads for 45 minutes and enjoyed a nice cold drink and a chat, before setting off back towards home. I followed the busy lane to Exfords Green and Annscroft, where the Union Jack flag confirmed I would be cycling directly into the wind for the rest of the trip and it had become quite strong and gusty by now.

The main road to Hook a Gate wasn’t too busy, which was nice and I then went through Meole Village and home via the cycle paths.

21.03 miles at 13.2mph avg speed

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
We have a client in the city fairly close to the office with whom a visit was scheduled yesterday; and I elected to forfeit the £1.90 fuel allowance and mental health degradation of taking the car by slinging the beater bike in the back of the car before work.

As usual I got to work half an hour early (necessary to beat the utterly horrific traffic and subsequent doubling of my journey time) and it was such a beautiful morning that I took the bike out for a spin around east Oxford. Turned out that the meeting got postponed, but I made the most of the situation by slipping in another, longer ride around the city after work before the usual Tuesday evening pub trip.

The bike remained at the office pending the rescheduled meeting next week (and I think it'll stay here for the forseeable as I have little use for it at home) and again I went out for a little spin before work this morning.

It felt great to get out around the city again on the bike, however it's a very bitter-sweet experience since I'm so desperate to move back here and it reminds me of how pleasant life could be, however all I can do is watch from the sidelines as property prices continue to rocket; chasing a dream that seems constantly just out of reach :sad:

No idea of mileage as the trip computer's broken, but probably about 20-25 over the two days and very welcome to fend of the black dog that's constantly snapping at my heels..

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Two days commuting with extended rides home to report on.
Mondays morning commute was the usual 6.7 miles with an average of 18mph followed by a 27.7 mile ride home via Naburn with an average of 16.3 mph.
A beautiful day on Tuesday, so little traffic considering there was a rail strike. 6.7 miles to work with another average of 18mph.
Back on the bike at 4.30pm for a longer ride home via the Sustrans cycle route to Selby. 44.7 miles with an average of 16mph.
A lovely early evening with a few stops to take photo’s.
14EFC2C9-16EE-49AE-9779-5D0F2E014985.jpeg

5FFA9580-1876-498A-84A4-B66D4E023BBB.jpeg

3DBC7963-A9C3-4B2E-A2C8-C9E61D55A7AC.jpeg

7E1A8D0B-980B-4E33-853D-0AB5B08F11C9.jpeg

D4290794-9964-4F36-BA2E-DE7BDB60CDA4.jpeg

C807DC87-4F35-43A4-9627-845A4D060CC2.jpeg

741F0593-34D7-478F-BDDD-915DA03E4DE9.jpeg

8E1B2C13-5915-4EAD-AB4D-D701EB3BAB3D.jpeg

5D7A4290-C8BC-4460-A75A-29D8D23DD5F6.jpeg

Attachments

• 849B4BAE-FBFD-4A69-B05A-C03A8D4BDD51.jpeg
    849B4BAE-FBFD-4A69-B05A-C03A8D4BDD51.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Getting back on it, Had a nice solo in the sun today, roads were quiet, was just nice to be on my own, no waiting for any body,
https://www.strava.com/activities/7350351444
Normal service resumes Thursday evening, will have to slow down for that one.:laugh:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Another beautiful warm day in North Yorkshire. Two rides again today, my morning commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 20.6 mph.
A 4.30 finish and an extended ride home. Stopped at Naburn and watched the youngsters jumping into The Ouse!
I followed the Sustrans Cycle path to Riccall again, my new favourite route now much of it has been resurfaced. Tired and hot when I got home, far too warm riding with a backpack. 33.6 miles with an average of 16.5 mph.

D06522C3-EB91-44C5-BF10-06A8CACF7844.jpeg

BC301F59-47E6-43BC-B8AD-D8F8BA2D0790.jpeg

1070D366-58B1-4941-83B4-E980CAFDA65C.jpeg

A8BCD4BE-EE5B-4A45-B513-94DA728BF055.jpeg

C5BBE027-B666-47E4-912B-DDE1ACD2C898.jpeg

89DA96FA-698C-4EF5-9E0A-D1B950703D25.jpeg

4A3AE7CC-679B-45EC-A921-7454206DB2E3.jpeg

Last edited:

buzz22

Über Member
Today wasn't about setting any records, just a nice easy ride after shift to get some sweet winter sun and fresh air.
First stop was at the inlet to the Georges River under Captain Cook Bridge.
20220623_110641.jpg

A shared path follows the edge of the river and around to Botany Bay, following the shore and some beautiful scenery.

20220623_114552.jpg

20220623_115035.jpg

In the middle of suburbia some Chinese market gardens that have been there for many years and resisted change, passing through generations of the same families.
20220623_115531.jpg

My choice of bike for the day was my 1987 Repco Monaco with a conversion to bullmoose bars.
I recently popped on a set of 27 inch wheels with 1 1/4 gumwall tyres and a 6 speed 28-14 freewheel to replace the more modern 700c wheels with 32mm tyres and 24-13 cassette I had put on there.
The 27 inch wheels are the original sizing for the bike and the lower gearing suits the character of the bike better. It had a tendency to squirm in the rear with the 700 wheels as the tyres, wheels and frame didn't seem to be a good combination.
It was a great day out with 40km covered in total at an average speed that could be calculated with a sun dial but just what was needed.

20220623_114557.jpg

20220623_115620.jpg

20220623_112213.jpg

Attachments

• 20220623_112213.jpg
    20220623_112213.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220623_115617.jpg
    20220623_115617.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Been off work all week but spent most of it gardening. Absolute rock and roll lifestyle I lead.

Decided to get out today round the Lanarkshire area. Spent most of the time on roads and have to say not one close pass or nearly close pass. All drivers that passed me today where fantastic.

Back after to trim hedges and clean decking. Burst!!!!
Screenshot_20220623-170756_Strava.jpg

gavgav

Guru
A day off for me and so I got out for a longer ride in the muggy morning sunshine. Tweaked the gears a bit before heading out, to try and sort this jumping issue in 1st. Hardly a breath of wind to begin with, as I meandered out of Shrewsbury and along Calcot Lane, to Bicton.

Arrived at the T-Junction to find a road closed sign to the right, but luckily I was turning left, however the reason was large scale surface dressing. It needed doing, as that road had become so rough, but cycling on new chippings is never great fun. Thankfully it appeared they’d done my carriageway yesterday, so it was better than the one coming the other way that had very fresh tar down.

I descended to Montford Bridge, where I was glad to turn off and out of the chippings, towards Forton. The lanes to Great Ness were quiet and very enjoyable in the warm sunshine, before I crossed the A5 and climbed up then dropped down to Pentre. Too early for the pub to be open, which was probably for the best in that heat.

Next was Melverley and around to Crew Green, briefly crossing the border into Wales, before joining the main road to Coedway and Alberbury. One set of temporary traffic lights along there, that didn’t give me enough time to pass through and I wasn’t hanging about.

The climb up from Princes Oak was a hard pull in the heat and I’d also turned into the breeze, which whilst not strong was enough to feel a bit of resistance. I didn’t have to wait long to cross the A458 at Halfway House, but the road to Westbury had also been surface dressed recently, so more chippings to deal with.

I paused in Westbury for a drink and was starting to feel the heat a bit by now, in the midday sun. The main road from there, to Stoney Stretton, Yockleton and Nox was quiet, another set of temporary lights to contend with, but these changed just as I got to them, in my favour and gave me enough time.

At Nox I turned onto the lane to Lea Cross, where I paused in the gateway of Worthen Juniors Football Club, for a bite to eat. Wasn’t overly hungry, with the heat, but needed a bit of energy replenishment.

I crossed the A488 with ease and then climbed up to Arscott, past the golf club, down to Annscroft. The flag confirmed I had a direct easterly headwind to deal with now and it was quite hard work against it to Exfords Green and Stapleton, where I stopped at Dad’s for a cold drink and a chat. Whilst there I checked the rain radar, with the forecast of possible thunderstorms coming in and it had clouded over quite a bit, with a few black clouds in the distance. Sure enough, there was rain over Bridgnorth way and so decided to set back out about 1:45pm, to hopefully get home in time to stay dry.

I took my usual route home, via Gonsal, Condover, along Lyons Lane where I had a very friendly policeman, in his truck, flash me through on a narrow section, with a big smile and thumbs up from him as well and Betton Abbots.

That was hot work, but I really enjoyed it and the roads were pretty quiet, with all traffic well behaved as well. The gears were better at the lower end, not jumping, but now at the top end they were a bit scratchy! Somewhere in between must be a sweet spot.

39.89 miles at 13.4mph avg speed

buzz22

Über Member
After my gentle ride yesterday I stepped up the pace today and took outmy 1987 Clamont for a ride from my place along the main highway heading south to Helensburgh and back, 48km return.
It's mainly 100 and 110 km/h so only the one photo as it's not that safe to stop, but a pleasant view over the Royal National Park.
20220624_104004.jpg

I'm swapping parts around at the moment to reduce my fleet slightly so had swapped my Fulcrum Racing Zero's onto the Clamont to see if they suited it.
They definitely do, with a nicer feel and less rolling resistance.
Top speed on the way home was 72km/h where I usually max out at 64km/h in the same spot. It's amazing how much difference good wheels and tyres make.

Top Bottom