Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
yesterdays ride ..was for a change of direction we headed south on fairly quiet roads towards Yarm . then out by the rear of the prison and through Hutton Rudby .then through east+west rountons. at Appleton Wiske we had a break as it was a tad bit warm. roughly 29c so Mr Garmin said .
then on to Hornby and the the nice quiet road back into Neasham ,though once we got to Hurworth Eddie needed more drinks so a stop was made . and just as the school's seemed empty there was wall to wall traffic so was decided we chill under a tree and let the traffic clear .
once cleared we dropped into Croft-on-tees then the longer route via Cleasby- Manfield to pick up the road to Piecebridge then back our usual Walworth Heighington and back to Aycliffe . 58 miles in excellent weather with good mates :okay:
https://www.komoot.com/tour/818236804
Appleto Wiske
GOPR0048.JPG

IMG-20220623-WA0004.jpg

school run mayhem
GOPR0052.JPG

IMG-20220623-WA0007.jpg

Hurwoth and nice bit of shade
GOPR0054.JPG

GOPR0055 (2).JPG

Nice Wicken pootle with the better half this morning; first time we have actually managed to get out this year together:ohmy:

Nice sunny-ish but not too warm and reasonably quiet.

Stop at the NT cafe on the way back for a flat white and cappuccino.

Stayer in front of thatch;

IMG_2881.jpeg

Big fen sky;

IMG_2872.jpeg

Burwell that way,,;

D1BDD27C-EDC4-435E-A1F7-55D0B63E1278.jpg

NT sign

106968CE-AED9-4E05-87ED-514034F07A86.jpg

Monk's Lode;

6EA4F69F-DA4C-4D8E-B787-A7FC1B9D7CB2.jpg

Stayer and Kona taking a break;

806158DE-2580-47BD-83A8-92F949A427E6.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/7360330084

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Yesterday's...
I dont cycle much anymore but finishing work, home, bikes coming out,come what may.
My son was u expectedly home, c'mon, i will, show you this brickpit lake about 3 miles away (we'd recently been discussing if it had fish,its massive,unless its polluted, it must have)
So we both set off across the brick pit trails on ebikes....errr, my back tyres going flat.
3 pump ups to get there,we relaxed and surveyed the massive lake, 3 pump ups to get back.
No mileage to speak of, just a chance to chat and be outdoors....and a puncture to fix later that evening ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: The week has been a bit of a disappointment as I'd hoped to get a few rides in but it just didn't work out, so I took the chance when it came yesterday afternoon. I was out a bit later than hoped so it was just one of my regular routes on the knockabout bike (since that is easiest to get out).

I headed south to start with, into quite a brisk wind through Condover, Longnor and Hollyhurst. Using the A49 right at the start it was a bit busy and I did dive for a side road at one point on hearing something big coming up behind me at a point when there were streams of traffic coming the other way - a toot of the horn and a wave showed that it had been appreciated. After that it was all fairly uneventful for a few miles despite it coming up to school kicking out time on a Friday. The next crossing of the A49 was also quite busy so I had to wait my turn, then I headed for Dudgeley and some quiet lanes. I had the wind behind me now which made the hills seem a bit easier on this undulating section and it was also pretty good when the climbing started in earnest just after Leebotwood.

I wound my way up to Smethcott and did briefly consider heading for Picklescott like last time I was here, but was conscious of having limited time so stuck to the more direct way to Wilderley. From the viewpoints I could see what appeared to be showers rolling across the countryside - I wasn't too worried about this until I checked and realised that I'd left my waterproofs in the other set of panniers.:shy:

Reaching Pulverbatch I took the main road route to Longden. This road is mostly downhill and with a good tailwind this time I was looking forward to it. As I left Pulverbatch I thought the bike seemed sluggish and I was sure I ought to have been going faster...... until I looked down at my speedo which showed 24 mph and rising. ^_^ It was a good run through Longden Common to Longden itself then I decided to carry on to Annscroft and climb Lyth Hill from that side. After taking in the view at the top I used the rough track which the bike was a lot quieter on after doing some work to the front mudguard recently.

25.7 miles at 12.9 mph average - fairly good for this bike on this route.

20220624_150417.jpg

Looking to the Stretton hills from near Ryton. Quite threatening cloud about but I managed to stay dry the whole ride.

20220624_152335.jpg

Only a trickle at the one ford on the old Roman road. It's been quite dry in Shropshire for the last few weeks. Even when there has been rain it hasn't amounted to much locally.

20220624_153408.jpg

A view of Caer Caradoc just after Hollyhurst.

20220624_160108.jpg

Near the top of the climb after Smethcott and it does appear to be raining in the distance.

20220624_163928.jpg

From the top of Lyth Hill looking back in the direction of Pulverbatch.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Bright and breezy after a summer like few days. Rode up to Malham Tarn via Austwick and Stainforth. Quite blowy on the tops and clouds were gathering so didn’t linger. Descended the steep way to Langcliffe. Lunch at the naked man in Settle then the usual routes home via Keasden and Wray. All well about from two very Heavy thunder showers. 65 miles or 104 km with nearly 1500m of climbing.

pictures of Ingleborough, Malham Tarn, bike resting before descent and lovely cut through on Langcliffe road.

726C892F-46AE-44EE-8AF1-BB0351608A3C.jpeg

B0F7D0F2-D380-45AE-BE24-23C2A0581AB7.jpeg

30406A12-4242-4F87-B137-AD1EB8665F02.jpeg

048F9AAF-DA25-40AA-A779-5AC1A74587E7.jpeg

iandg

Legendary Member
Steady ride out, the first in 6 weeks - 14km at an average speed of 20kph. 2 weeks on prednisolone following diagnosis of PMR and feeling "much" better but still struggling with fatigue and my arms constantly feel like I've been doing too many press ups. Haven't got the full range of movement back in my shoulders and arms yet either - for example, I can't reach behind my back and into my jersey pocket with my left hand without getting shooting pains in my upper arm. It's going to be a long haul.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/94519272

IMG_20220625_132201_899.jpg

IMG_20220625_132853_214.jpg

IMG_20220625_132953_394.jpg

IMG_20220625_134504_053.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Splendid gentle 25 miles through Tatton Park with Mrs T in breezy sunshine.

The deer nicely framed by the tandem:

20220626_160325.jpg

20220626_160047.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Back to fun riding after Audax imperatives. I rode into town for the Exeter Wheelers' Saturday social (a 40ish miles no-drop ride at average 14mph or more). It takes me just over an hour to get to the start (28km). It was raining heavily when I set off but the Met Office insisted there were only showers forecast, and it did stop before I arrived. Anja turned up immediately after, then Jon. The County Hall bell struck 9 and we set off. Just three of us – some were away and others were saving themselves for the Nello the following day.

This weekend's route was an eastwards circuit through Cranbrook, Tipton, Woodbury and Topsham. There was one shower, long enough that stopping to don rain-capes was discussed, but not quite long enough to actually stop.

Then a final lurch from proper roads on to cycle-tracks and alongside the Exe to the quay and finish. The other groups were there already.

After food, drink and conversation, we set off on our separate ways. I decided on an indirect route home via Talaton. Made a short diversion to check a notice I'd seen attached to a bridleway sign (it was an application from local trail-riders to convert it to a by-way open to all traffic – I'm wondering whether I should object). And finally home with 113km total in time for a late lunch.

The bridleway sign is hidden behind the village sign.
IMG_20220625_140408551_HDR.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Had no plan of a route this morning other than "hills". Took a fairly southerly route that took me straight over the North Downs and bits of the Greensand Ridge to Forest Green, then turned up the steep monster that is Tanhurst Lane. It still has a stripe of mud and grass in the middle, but at least it was no longer a stream, unlike last year.
Wound my way up past a vineyard and a rhododendron garden to the top of Leith Hill.
1656290738825.png

Love these sunken lanes. As a kid 45 years ago, I'd have my nose pressed to the car window looking out at these sandy/sandstone banks; it somehow felt like we were driving in a dried-up riverbed.
1656290775711.png

Steep road back to the A25 (bike is facing the wrong way)
1656290839555.png

Skipped the A25 and headed eastwards on NCN22.
1656290920073.png

Milton Court millpond; far nicer scenery on NCN22 than on the adjacent A25.
1656290984645.png

Approaching Dorking you see Martin's church Dorking, the slopes of Box Hill (left hand side), and Reigate Hill in the distance.
1656291116247.png

One final climb up Ranmore, then dropped down into the Thames Bowl, stopping to take a photo towards Central London (one of these is the Shard, 22 miles away). Hoped for a clearer picture, as the air had been really clear the night before/
1656291285216.png

23 miles and 2,224 feet of climbing.

buzz22

Über Member
A couple of free hours after morning school drop off so time to hit the bike paths. From home down to the Georges River inlet, a quick drink stop and taking in the view.
20220627_100842.jpg

Along the back streets to meet up with the path and past a local community garden.
20220627_102739.jpg

A bit further along and a nice view of the inlet of the Cooks River, right beside the airport.
20220627_103127.jpg

Not too far along the path and I'm sitting on the shore at Brighton Le Sands with the water of Botany Bay lapping at the sand.
20220627_103828.jpg

A bit further along I stopped for a drink and reflected on my choice of bike for the ride, my 1997 Raleigh 2500RS.
Despite the components being fairly low end Shimano and the frame seemingly made from bridge girders (it weighs a ton) it's a great ride. I've upgraded the wheels and tyres, the seat and added a rack which makes it a great commuter and perfect for the paths I take it on.
20220627_105410.jpg

Over the Captain Cook Bridge and on to Taren Point, with wetlands perfect for those who like bird watching.
20220627_110949.jpg

Further along and I reached the famous Cronulla Beach, time for a quick snack and then the home stretch.
20220627_112719.jpg

20220627_113444.jpg

Total distance was 42km, some beautiful scenery and some lunch.

A big one today, for me that is. Time to give the Scott a thorough workout, and it's still running sweet. Hooray!
Today's target was 25 miles, in order to get a ton for the month. Cracked that handily. The next couple of rides will be on the Trek Navigator, once I've replaced the internally routed gear cables and re-indexed it. The second of those rides, scheduled for next Tuesday, will be while wearing a 24hr portable ECG, as the new GP thinks I've got a dicky ticker, or at least an unusual one. Humouring them for the moment. What they think is a problem I've known about since 1988...
Weather today surprisingly cold out of the sun, so much so that I thought about a jacket, but decided against in the end. Otherwise all good, trails not very busy. Roads very busy.
Only one minor 'eek' moment: I went to pass a bin lorry, and the guy dumped a bin in the truck, then just spun around and walked right in front of me. Some Spidey sense had kicked in, I was somehow ready for it, and all was well.
The map:
Screenshot (19).png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A steady 30 miler in lovely mild weather tonight, down incredibly quiet lanes (1 vehicle per mile) to Arlingham and back with a couple of local loops thrown in. Thought I'd avoid all the usual pictures of the River Severn and just take a few different snaps with the low sun behind me.
A nice little lane I take in occasionally on a local loop around Arlingham:
61.JPG

At the canal bridge at the bottom end of Frampton on Severn:
62.JPG

The view across the duck pond on the green in Frampton:
63.JPG

That's got me just over the 500 mile mark for the year. I'd normally have done 1,000 miles more than that by the end of June, but at least I'm starting to feel a bit stronger now. Onwards and upwards.

Top Bottom