Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Saturday: As @gavgav has reported the two of us have been over to the mid-Wales coast for the weekend and bikes came too. This is the first time I've taken the Raleigh there so I was looking forward to getting out on it.

With a hot and sunny weekend forecast it seemed like everyone had descended on the coast either for holidays or a day trip. The main road was busy but it was as nothing compared to when we got to Barmouth where the car parks close to the town were already almost full and there were streams of traffic arriving. Last time I was here Barmouth Bridge was heaving with people but this time it was surprisingly quiet with most people being in town or already on the beach. We did encounter some errant motorbikes on the path again.:headshake:

The Mawddach Trail was fabulous as ever for the scenery but a bit slower going than usual due to the headwind. Like a lot of places it's pretty dry and dusty at the moment so the bottom half of the bikes slowly changed colour to grey as the miles racked up. Before reaching Dolgellau we turned off the path and doubled back on the other side of the river heading towards Coed Y Brenin. We knew this would be hilly but hoped that would be offset by there being more shade under the trees. We'd not long got onto the quieter lanes when we encountered the BMW that Gav mentions - the driver was quite chatty and wanted to tell us about the lane being so narrow and his wife holding on out of fear, before asking if they were going the right way for Barmouth. Strictly speaking they were, but having managed to get onto this lane rather than the very obvious main road that runs just the other side of the valley it did make Gav and I wonder if they managed to find their way. We parted with Gav having warned them that they'd probably struggle to find anywhere to park.

It was lovely riding under the trees and in one little valley a blast of cool air sprang up unexpectly which was very refreshing. We did feel the heat on the climbs though and on one steep bit in particular the trees have been felled so we had no protection from the heat of the day. Having reached Capel Hermon there was a nice long descent alongside Afon Wen which was very enjoyable before a bit more climbing took us to the Forest Garden where we had a break for lunch.

Even in the shade it was pretty warm by now which meant that continuing the climbing after our stop was quite hard going. We did make it to the top (where the Precipice Walk is signposted just off the road) and started the descent back to Dolgellau. This road is pretty well surfaced and has some good straight bits where you can let the bike go - I hit 42.5 mph on the way down which is a new maximum cycling speed for me.:hyper:

Back at Dolgellau we had a bit of a meander round town then headed back onto the Mawddach Trail but not before having a look at the cricket match that was taking place. We had a tailwind but still weren't very fast as tiredness had kicked in. The trail had a steady flow of cyclists, as it had earlier, and we recognised many of the people as ones we'd seen on the way out. Barmouth Bridge was a little busier, but not much, however the town was manic. Every on-street parking space was taken, drivers were queueing fruitlessly for spaces in the car parks and some had just left their cars any old place, including in the turning circle at the end of the promenade.:wacko:

Traffic wasn't too bad on the way back but we still took to the shared-use path as soon as we could since it's just easier when not being hassled. Something we hadn't seen on the way out was feed stations for an ultra marathon that was taking place - we didn't spot any of the runners though. One of my cousins was supposed to have been taking part but decided to drop out. He won't have been the only one I'm sure.

My speedometer recorded 43.5 miles at 10.1 mph average.

20220813_103254_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The usual shot of Barmouth Bridge as we join the path.

20220813_110425.jpg

Headed along the Mawddach Trail.

20220813_112245.jpg

The toll bridge at Penmaenpool.

20220813_120312_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Headed into Coed Y Brenin. This road was great - we saw just one car in about six miles.

20220813_123733_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the road alongside Afon Wen.

20220813_124319.jpg

A nice spot for our lunch stop.

20220813_131004.jpg

The view from the last big climb before descending back to Dolgellau.

20220813_133008.jpg

A bit of cricketing action.

20220813_140347.jpg

The view to the bridge as we head back to Morfa Mawddach.

20220813_144747.jpg

Looking back towards Barmouth before we rejoin the coast road.

buzz22

With a busy 24 hr shift behind me and a beautiful warm sunny day in front of me I was feeling like a cruisy relaxing ride.
First stop was Taren Point, a scenic bike path follows the shore of the bay and calms the mind.
20220818_122714.jpg

In the middle of the photo above is a timber viewing platform for bird watchers, the area is an aquatic reserve and a popular destination for migratory birds.
20220818_123123.jpg

I followed the path along to Kurnell, a small community on a peninsula and the location that British settlers landed a couple of hundred years ago.
20220818_133649.jpg

I grabbed a table and had some lunch while taking in the view, worries slipping away.
20220818_133345.jpg

Not far from where I sat was this sculpture that I love, it looks different to me every time depending on the tide, light and weather.
20220818_133450.jpg

20220818_135839.jpg

Further along again is another favourite, a whale and calf sculpture that draws me in every time.

20220818_135300.jpg

The netting is also a sculpture done by a local Aboriginal artist, the detail impressive.
All too soon it was time to head home, 45km in total over a few hours and a much clearer head.
20220814_190012.jpg

My choice of ride for the day was my 80's Repco Monaco, a lanky, dopey Labrador of a bike with the aerodynamics of a house brick that makes me smile and relax every time I ride it.
My average speeds on it could be measured with a sun dial as it encourages me to shift my brain into cruise and just enjoy getting out. A wise choice.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Spent all day sorting the rear wheel on the Routier, then needed butter so embarked on the freshly-sorted-but-still-not-complete Fuji's inaugural utility run :smile:

Did the local Sainsburys, scenic route out was about 9.4 miles then the boring A-road direct trip back about 5.7. My lack of load-carrying capacity was confirmed by the two packs of butter, two apples and packet of reduced sausages that filled my little Osprey bag to capacity (on top of the usual other stuff).

I locked the bike with the U-lock and steel cable, parking it next to a spanky looking Trek hard tail that the owner had left the head unit attached to :ohmy:

Smashed all the carbs and some caffeine before I left so the journey was fairly swift - relatively speaking - and I set a few Strava PBs along the way.

Definitely feeling better about the Fuji now; just want to iron out the remaining niggles, source / fit the necessary bits and get on with using it before the cold kills my enthusiasm..

gavgav

Guru
A short ride yesterday evening, up to a friends house for a meal.

Took the slightly longer loop, due to reports of a lorry having jackknifed not far away and ensuing chaos on the roads, but when I reached said area, from the other direction, it had all cleared. It was uphill most of the way to her house and into the wind!

Had an enjoyable evening and then a nice downhill return journey home, via the direct route, with the only point of note being having to carefully avoid a drunk pedestrian, near home, who was wobbling from side to side along the pavement 😆

6.72 miles

PaulB

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday on my way back from work (LGI). On my way over in the morning, I noticed the aftermath of a car crash - no-one was hurt as they were all standing about exchanging details. Several hours later on the finish of this ride, the woman who'd crashed into the vehicle in front (it had to be her because the front of her mini was crumpled - but I reckon it was still drivable) was still standing near her car talking on the phone waiting for some help from who knows? Ahh, the joys of driving eh?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9434918296

Mike_P

Guru
the front of her mini was crumpled - but I reckon it was still drivable)
Having once rear ended an Audi that did an emergency stop in front me, with ABS that was unheard of in a 205, there are a number of issues that could have arisen. In my case at least the engine mounting broke and that was with a 954cc engine that you nearly needed a magnifying glass to spot.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Late reports just for a change :shy::

Tuesday: I thought I'd take the Raleigh out on my loop to Melverley and back. It was a fairly nice day and I thought that doing the ride clockwise would make the most of a tailwind towards the end.

Not too much traffic on the way to Condover and I got a good cruising speed going with the wind behind me. At Hunger Hill the A49 wasn't too bad so I was able to cross easily to head for Exford's Green then Plealey and Pontesbury. I took the cycle path to Minsterley as usual (it's not an enjoyable bit of road as a cyclist) then turned towards Horsebridge and Westbury. The road closure at Westbury is still there so I took the detour towards Vennington then Halfway House, meeting a handful of vehicles doing the same thing from the other direction.

I had a fairly quiet run to Prince's Oak and Crew Green then crossed the bridge to Melverley. I thought I'd add a bit of mileage by going to Melverley Green then doubling back along the lane towards The Royal Hill - this was a bit of an effort into the wind then a nice run with it behind me on an empty lane.

I went over the climb at Wilcott (more of an effort than it looks) and to Little Ness where I hoped to pick up a good tailwind - it helped but not as much as I thought it might. After Nib Heath I spotted a group of people walking in the road ahead which turned out to be the unusual sight of about ten or a dozen young men in very traditional Jewish outfits. I said hello but they were too busy chatting.

Following the climb at Bicton I thought I'd take the longer but flatter way through Gains Park and the new estate at Bowbrook. A ding of the bell at a youngster who looked as though he might ride into the road without looking got a beaming smile in return.^_^

I finished off by heading to Nobold and through Meole Brace.

41.1 miles at 14.5 mph average. I had been enjoying putting a bit of effort in so was slightly disappointed the average speed wasn't higher - the lack of frequent riding is showing a bit.

No photos from this one.

-------------------------------------------

Yesterday: I haven't been to Cardington for a while so thought I'd head there. The Raleigh came out again and I headed for Condover as usual but into a blustery headwind so progress wasn't as swift or easy as the start of the previous ride.

Plodding on through Longnor towards the Folly Bank climb was fairly uneventful, which I liked. The climb itself felt good this time and the descent to Cardington was fast and fun. I expected to have the wind helping on the way towards Longville and Church Preen School but it never really felt like it was. At Kenley I carried straight on to Broomcroft then round to Harnage Grange, Harnage and Cound (the Shropshire flag flying today). I did think about going to Berrington but with it being a Friday afternoon expected the traffic to be busy so headed for Pitchford, Cantlop and Condover instead.

The wind that had been slowing me down on the way out was slowing me down on the way back to the A49 as well :rolleyes:. Reaching the main road I found it completely clear in both directions and had to do a double-take as I'm not used to that at this junction.

32 miles at 13.9 mph average. A good ride but would have been even nicer without battling the "againsterly" wind.

20220819_140150_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the Roman road near Leebotwood. Although we've had a bit of rain over the last few days it isn't enough to alleviate the drought locally.

20220819_140855_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A favourite view to Caer Caradoc.

20220819_141949.jpg

Just over the top of the Folly Bank climb.

20220819_142423_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At Cardington. A pub stop was tempting but it's not the same when I'm on my own.

2022_08_20_Airport_Loop_01.jpg

Went for a ride with Middle Son; He's been on a federal voluntary placement for a year so it was the first one in a while.

Of course it rained:

2022_08_20_Airport_Loop_02.jpg

But we stayed dry by hiding under a tree, and eventually it laid off long enough to get back...

2022_08_20_Airport_Loop_03.jpg

Whereupon Beautiful Daughter asked if we could go and visit the rabbits on the farm a couple of kilometres from the village...

2022_08_20_Airport_Loop_04.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A fairly productive day wasn't enough to elevate the mood in the face of a pretty terrible diet of late, while I didn't appreciate the thought of staying in since I'd rather be out at a mate's techno night in Oxford but the public transport's terrible so that's off the menu.

Of course the only answer was a distractionary ride, so off I pootled on the Fuji for an unusual loop of the usual places. The weather was pretty perfect tbh; a cool temperature with gentle westerly breeze and clear skies.. dare I say somewhat autumnal.

I aimed to stay out for an hour but that turned into two as I wafted aimlessly around the lanes until well past sunset; appreciating the ability of my basic lights to at least identify me to other road users but highlighting the need for better illumination as the nights draw in.

I saw quite a lot of wildlife - a muntjac casually wondering around in the road, a hare in a field, a couple of big raptors having a chat (buzzards or more likely kites) and best of all a load of bats - one or more of which repeatedly flew alongside / just in front of me for quite a while along the dusky lanes; which felt pretty special ^_^

Back in the village I got very slowly cut up by an indicisive and self-important prick in a Tesla and came home for a shower and more bingy food.

A bit over 24 miles and 1300ft at 12.3mph for just under 1100kcal burned, and my fourth consecutive ride of the week :smile:

GetFatty

Über Member
I got a spaniel in April 2021 so today was my first ride out since then. A solo trip to Biggin Hill airport which is a moderately (for the south) hilly route. Pleased to have managed a 15mph average even after so long off the bike. I think being a couple of stone lighter from walking 6 miles a day helped.

Merlot the dog didn’t recon me in cycling kit and so was a tad upset when I got home, cue much barking, growling and then hiding upstairs 😂

D310E2F9-1CBC-424C-B113-78E3D3AE54A3.jpeg

Top Bottom