Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Rickshaw Phil I know that area very well and the Lyth valley is one of my Sunday routes, as is Staveley. The shop in Levens is a good stop and you get 20p off if you use one of their mugs! I love cycling the LD perimeter but find the central routes a bit busy and often unreasonably steep. Kendal is a bit of a nightmare with its one way system, if you you get lost head for the brewery arts who do a good coffee.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
13th of May: I was back in Shropshire for a long weekend and left to my own devices for the day so I got the Galaxy out for its first ride of the year. I thought a long route orbiting Shrewsbury would be good so headed on familiar ground to Condover then Atcham, Upton Magna, Rodington Heath and Astley. I was getting along well, which may have encouraged me to push on a bit faster than I usually would, helped by the fact that this bike is so great to ride.

Hadnall, Plex and Harmer Hill were up next. I came across an unexpected road closure (surface dressing) which I was able to get past easily, unlike the guy in the Golf who got to it just ahead of me. The closure meant that the lane to Myddle was busier than usual but the main road to Baschurch was quieter. I thought I'd take to the lanes again through Fenemere, which was really enjoyable. Reaching Baschurch, another rider on a much lighter bike caught me up at the junction. I thought he'd overtake me with ease as I built up speed along the main road through the village but when I looked back he was trailing quite a long way behind.

A lunch stop was taken near Little Ness and afterwards the effort I'd been putting in made itself felt, so I wasn't as quick as earlier on. I'd expected a tailwind through Pentre and past The Royal Hill but the wind was so light it was hard to tell if it was helping or not. I did think it was against me from Crew Green to Prince's Oak but it probably didn't make any difference. The climb here seemed easier than usual and after the initial steep bit I managed to maintain a steady 11mph along the rest, which I was fairly pleased with.

On the long straight from Westbury to Nox I got along reasonably well but started to run out of puff through Lea Cross, Exford's Green and on the last stretch from Condover.

58 miles at 14.9 mph average. Happy with that but I wonder if I should have done the extra to make a metric century.

20230513_102755.jpg

20230513_103809.jpg

20230513_114839.jpg

20230513_121941.jpg

20230513_135716.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
@Rickshaw Phil I know that area very well and the Lyth valley is one of my Sunday routes, as is Staveley. The shop in Levens is a good stop and you get 20p off if you use one of their mugs! I love cycling the LD perimeter but find the central routes a bit busy and often unreasonably steep. Kendal is a bit of a nightmare with its one way system, if you you get lost head for the brewery arts who do a good coffee.

Thanks for the tips. We passed the shop in Levens earlier today and I thought it might be worth a look some time (about to write that one up). It's possible we might pass one another. I'll be the one that doesn't look like a proper cyclist.;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today: Doug and I decided to head towards Arnside. It's somewhere we have never been and were curious about as one of the properties that came up in our searches while looking for somewhere to stay was there. We got out of Kendal using the old canal path and my aim was to simply follow the signed cycle route, which went wrong quite quickly at Natland when I followed the wrong signs and up a hill we didn't need to climb. It was put right fairly easily and got back on track after Barrows Green to follow undulating lanes towards Milnthorpe.

We lost the signs shortly after joining the road to Sandside until the junctions by Dallam Tower where there were cycle route signs pointing in every direction so a pause was needed to check the map. It was straightforward - just stay on the main road to Arnside, which was fairly flat but was into the wind, which slowed us down a bit.

After a short stop in Arnside we started climbing again on the way to Silverdale. We were following the blue signs again but this time I checked the map first to have a good idea of where I was expecting to go. There is some good riding round here and the roads are mostly narrower and more rural than I'd imagined. I could have enjoyed the cycling if we had ended up here, but it's just that bit too far from the places we wanted to be.

After a loop around the peninsular we ended up at Beetham and almost ended up on the A6 after missing a sign that was hidden behind a tree. The correct road took us to Dallam Tower again, this time passing through the estate - very nice. After crossing the River Bela we paused for a bite of lunch before continuing on some flat roads with a tailwind on the marked route to Levens. I got hooted at at for having the temerity to use the road, then turned one junction too early and had to backtrack. We haven't been to Levens from this direction before so found the shop, which looked appealing for another time.

Doug needed low range for the climb out of the village, then overshot the junction we needed on the descent despite me shouting out to take a left. With a helping tailwind we got on fairly well through Sedgwick, Natland and back to the old canal path through Kendal. I'd suggested a pub stop and we had hoped to take that at the Bowness Bay Barrel House, but we were too early and they weren't open yet. We settled for an alternative where a pint of Bowfell Bitter was enjoyed by me and a Stowford Press cider for Doug.

33.4 miles at 11.6 mph average. Strava thinks we went further and did it substantially slower (it has almost 11 minutes more on the moving time than my speedometer does) so I think it's not auto-pausing as it should.

20230518_105418.jpg

20230518_111523.jpg

20230518_112853.jpg

20230518_114101.jpg

20230518_115532.jpg

20230518_122247.jpg

20230518_123435.jpg

20230518_124324.jpg

20230518_124335.jpg

20230518_141259.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Today: Doug and I decided to head towards Arnside today. It's somewhere we have never been and were curious about as one of the properties that came up in our searches while looking for somewhere to stay was there. We got out of Kendal using the old canal path and my aim was to simply follow the signed cycle route, which went wrong quite quickly at Natland when I followed the wrong signs and up a hill we didn't need to climb. It was put right fairly easily and got back on track after Barrows Green to follow undulating lanes towards Milnthorpe.

We lost the signs shortly after joining the road to Sandside until the junctions by Dallam Tower where there were cycle route signs pointing in every direction so a pause was needed to check the map. It was straightforward - just stay on the main road to Arnside, which was fairly flat but was into the wind, which slowed us down a bit.

After a short stop in Arnside we started climbing again on the way to Silverdale. We were following the blue signs again but this time I checked the map first to have a good idea of where I was expecting to go. There is some good riding round here and the roads are mostly narrower and more rural than I'd imagined. I could have enjoyed the cycling if we had ended up here, but it's just that bit too far from the places we wanted to be.

After a loop around the peninsular we ended up at Beetham and almost ended up on the A6 after missing a sign that was hidden behind a tree. The correct road took us to Dallam Tower again, this time passing through the estate - very nice. After crossing the River Bela we paused for a bite of lunch before continuing on some flat roads with a tailwind on the marked route to Levens. I got hooted at at for having the temerity to use the road, then turned one junction too early and had to backtrack. We haven't been to Levens from this direction before so found the shop, which looked appealing for another time.

Doug needed low range for the climb out of the village, then overshot the junction we needed on the descent despite me shouting out to take a left. With a helping tailwind we got on fairly well through Sedgwick, Natland and back to the old canal path through Kendal. I'd suggested a pub stop and we had hoped to take that at the Bowness Bay Barrel House, but we were too early and they weren't open yet. We settled for an alternative where a pint of Bowfell Bitter was enjoyed by me and a Stowford Press cider for Doug.

33.4 miles at 11.6 mph average. Strava thinks we went further and did it substantially slower (it has almost 11 minutes more on the moving time than my speedometer does) so I think it's not auto-pausing as it should.

View attachment 690234

View attachment 690236

View attachment 690237

View attachment 690238

View attachment 690239

View attachment 690240

View attachment 690241

View attachment 690242

View attachment 690243

View attachment 690244
I think the large house in the penultimate photo is a bit on the large size for just 2 off you 😄

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Needed to go to the shops. The Fuji had no front tyre since removing the ridiculously undersized new Conti for return, but I once more banged on the wreck-salvage-cheapo-hybrid tyre that had previously stepped in to get me to a mate's BBQ a while ago.

Having spent seemingly the entire morning packing up all of four parcels (including the bloody tyre return) I was ready to get out. The outside was very muggy, full of flies and scumbags. All day the traffic's been slowly trundling northbound past the house; following this column of needless consumptive misery for a while on the way to the supermarket revealed no magical reason it was this congested and slow.. other than, it seems, sheer volume of dickheads. Maybe it's due to the same reason that's caused my morning commute to be 2-3 times longer this week than it should :sad:

The shop had about 50% of what I wanted, so I came away with all of four products. The ride lacked the usual inflection point where I actually start to enjoy myself and I only started to feel a bit better once I'd got home, had a shower and done a few more productive things.

At least the Fuji remains serviceable while I wait for yet more tyres and hopefully I'll make more effort to get out as I clearly need it.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Back in north Norfolk and just a quick 12 miler after work to the coast at Burnham Overy.

80F7F276-7681-4C69-9EF3-AE5EE13E7962.jpeg

Enjoyed watching the tide rush in with avocets, godwits, a very handsome grey plover all on the disappearing mudflats, to the sounds of calling redshank, piping oyster catchers and a distant booming bittern.
Back on the home patch in Cambridgeshire tomorrow hoping for a few fair weather rides over the weekend.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An evening bimble around the Warren. I shared the coast path with some cows and the lanes at Worswell with a hare.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9102180226

3FBC9ED5-17A9-428A-8325-CFE440122D75.jpeg

F6BB9383-8E14-4B35-8FE9-DDF1086E4518.jpeg

F0266A7D-C38B-4DA8-9B98-D89FEC45FC9A.jpeg

7E9DA6FD-8E1E-4094-9368-6906A01C3A58.jpeg

E435C28E-B3FE-4F20-A3A0-8A2E1E506465.jpeg

2EA277B8-D242-4BFD-BDC1-B6B237314BAD.jpeg

C564BB55-8005-4597-9E6A-FAD8171358BD.jpeg

166F3A9B-AC6A-49E8-AF6A-C551ABF5D64A.jpeg

C53BA502-021C-4D23-8351-71694B895902.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
13th of May: I was back in Shropshire for a long weekend and left to my own devices for the day so I got the Galaxy out for its first ride of the year. I thought a long route orbiting Shrewsbury would be good so headed on familiar ground to Condover then Atcham, Upton Magna, Rodington Heath and Astley. I was getting along well, which may have encouraged me to push on a bit faster than I usually would, helped by the fact that this bike is so great to ride.

Hadnall, Plex and Harmer Hill were up next. I came across an unexpected road closure (surface dressing) which I was able to get past easily, unlike the guy in the Golf who got to it just ahead of me. The closure meant that the lane to Myddle was busier than usual but the main road to Baschurch was quieter. I thought I'd take to the lanes again through Fenemere, which was really enjoyable. Reaching Baschurch, another rider on a much lighter bike caught me up at the junction. I thought he'd overtake me with ease as I built up speed along the main road through the village but when I looked back he was trailing quite a long way behind.

A lunch stop was taken near Little Ness and afterwards the effort I'd been putting in made itself felt, so I wasn't as quick as earlier on. I'd expected a tailwind through Pentre and past The Royal Hill but the wind was so light it was hard to tell if it was helping or not. I did think it was against me from Crew Green to Prince's Oak but it probably didn't make any difference. The climb here seemed easier than usual and after the initial steep bit I managed to maintain a steady 11mph along the rest, which I was fairly pleased with.

On the long straight from Westbury to Nox I got along reasonably well but started to run out of puff through Lea Cross, Exford's Green and on the last stretch from Condover.

58 miles at 14.9 mph average. Happy with that but I wonder if I should have done the extra to make a metric century.

View attachment 690208

View attachment 690209

View attachment 690210

View attachment 690211

View attachment 690212

You rode past my house (2nd pic) why didn't you pop in kettles always on...!🤣🤣

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Went out for a little "anything's got to be better than staying in" ride on the Fuji. Slow, but significantly more pleasant than yesterday after the lunchtime thunder had cleared the air. Fewer knobheads, still a lot of flies. Found myself near the supermarket so popped in, got my slim pickings to the checkout and remembered I'd not got my wallet... saved by the emergency cash in the bike bag.

About 25ish miles in some very pleasant evening weather, feel better for it than I did after yesterday's ride :smile:

Cavalol

Guru
5th attempt at the brilliant Montgomery Canal triathlon today.

We (my mate and I) were the first two out, and 2nd and 3rd to finish the cycling leg, which I'm extremely happy about as old (nearly 60) unfit (fat), asthmatic and no real training beforehand. Probably started off a little too quick (marathon, not a sprint) which meant having to ease up a bit here and there, but it worked...

nc_ohc=bHN1UZg1rnwAX9aRABM&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

Now, as per last year we dodged the canoeing and biked that section instead. It meant we could ease off the pace a bit and just enjoy the scenery more. The weather was amazing the whole ride, something that seems to bless this event. I'd like to praise a fella who was absolutely smashing the rowing, but he shut a gate as my mate was behind him on the cycling, which was poor form, imho. We weren't going to catch him up so it was petty and pointless, really. ...

nc_ohc=oJAt5FHmkb4AX_dhvQU&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

Finally the walking bit. Now, whilst we'd clearly had a huge advantage by cycling the rowing part, we were doing so well that probably only around 15-20 people ran past us as we walked. They'd extended the end this year, back to the point from a few years ago, so a bit of extra effort was needed. It went superbly, chatting to a mate really helps and we were soon munching the miles up and enjoying the scenery even more, as befits the slower pace of walking to biking....

nc_ohc=VkBeOcQ5gmAAX_5heUE&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

I've banged on about this event before, but if you haven't ever done it I just can't recommend it highly enough. When you're out doing it, it's like you just can't think of anywhere nicer to be. The views/scenery are amazing, the event organisers and volunteers have made it a pleasure, and it doesn't seem like an effort to finish it. People of all ages seem to do it and it's a great way to spend the day. Too many highlights, but the wildlife alone is enough to make it worthwhile. Ducks, geese, swans, cygnets, rabbits, what my mate thinks was a red kite, dragon flies, fish you name it.

In no particular order...

nc_ohc=HZiaVmfhJEgAX8seb9i&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

nc_ohc=cTq7WVNOCR4AX9V3RWe&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

nc_ohc=uI6WJsO91b0AX9bM-mZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

nc_ohc=Syn7VCfUBi4AX8-Z-Qg&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

nc_ohc=GzS38CVe6T0AX9VX_Hb&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

nc_ohc=AmT59jlqRHQAX8K5Pc_&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

nc_ohc=j_9HmxBriqMAX8tdFUB&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

nc_ohc=uaVLRGt8vfYAX9qT21v&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

nc_ohc=Ww9ON8kpjZwAX9SEWQo&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

nc_ohc=f6lEHZQYTgwAX8C5GDk&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

IvEw1fPaQ_1S10Eu2Yf-ZJtSPM&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

nc_ohc=_AJDi8nj9SUAX-pgZWO&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi folks. :hello: It's been a while since I've posted anything in this thread, which has been due to my brother and I taking up seasonal jobs and moving to the Lake District.:hyper: We have been getting out on our days off and we are slowly getting used to every ride being a hilly ride.

Here are the most recent rides I've done:

7th of May: Doug and I had done a walk on the day of the Coronation and the weather for the following day was great for a ride. We headed out from Kendal in the direction of Staveley then used the cycle path to Windermere town, enjoying that classic first view down to the lake on the approach. After a tour of the residential roads in the town we climbed up Lickbarrow Road, which is steeper than I remembered and headed towards Winster. I put in a detour to stay off the main road, which wasn't really necessary as it was pretty quiet and added in a steep climb that Doug didn't really enjoy - oops.:shy: He did enjoy the lanes to Bowland Bridge though, which were through some great scenery and had plenty of nice descents between the short climbs.

The road to Witherslack was quite lumpy which slowed Doug down a bit - even more so when his chain jammed when he attempted to drop down to the small ring on one short but sharp climb. After Witherslack there is some very flat riding using the old A590. We got along quite nicely on this section and, before Levens, decided to keep going on the flat a bit longer by heading up the Lyth Valley to Brigsteer where a pub stop was taken at The Wheatsheaf. A pint went down nicely and we chatted with a couple whose dogs decided we were their new best friends.

Following the pub stop we headed straight into a steep climb to get back to Kendal - it may not be the highest or steepest around but is unrelenting, so wasn't easy straight after a pub stop. A good one for training I think. I still haven't entirely got my head round the best way of getting through the Kendal one way system on a bike - there are cycle paths but as we found this time, they aren't always laid out in the most helpful way.

31.2 miles at 11.3 mph average. Strava tells us that we did 2,293 feet of climbing on this one.

View attachment 690197

View attachment 690198

View attachment 690199

View attachment 690200

View attachment 690201

View attachment 690202

View attachment 690203
Have fun in the Lakes!

Have you bought a new camera or phone? Your latest pictures look a lot clearer than your old ones!

Top Bottom