Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Drove down to Dover on Friday morning, parked the car then took bikes over on the ferry, Cross to Dunkirk rode up to Brugge, found our hotel then out for a meal, Saturday morning back on the bikes to Ghent for lunch then a nice ride back to Brugge, had a shower then out on the town, Sunday morning back to dunkirk, managed to jump on an earlier ferry which was nice back home at 8pm Sunday, great weekend with friends,180 miles over the weekend,
There are a lot of older people on E bikes in Belgium, so good to see.

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-08 at 21.36.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-08 at 21.36.27.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-08 at 21.33.00 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-09 at 22.59.16.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A Warren ride this evening. There was a south westerly wind blowing on my back, choppy sea and a dull sky.

Lots of kestrels and buzzards out, plus a female Cirl Bunting.

15 miles. I had a wild thyme….

https://www.strava.com/activities/9439663193

IMG_4684.jpeg

IMG_4685.jpeg

IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4688.jpeg

IMG_4693.jpeg

IMG_4694.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4690.jpeg

gavgav

Guru
A couple of further short rides, to get the ankle building up again, last 2 evenings.

8.69 miles on Tuesday, which was a spur of the moment ride, after tea on a nice dry evening, following another afternoon of monsoon storms. Just meandering around local suburbs of Reabrook, Meole, Nobold and Radbrook. Nothing much to report other than quiet roads and ankle felt much better than it did on Sunday.

10.49 miles tonight, straight after getting back from work. Very blustery, but the sun was out. I was more confident with the ankle and so decided to do a loop around town, further afield from home. I followed the cycle paths to Heathgates, then dropped down through Castlefields, along the river towpath, where they’ve painted a white line about a foot from the edge. Well that will really stop the inebriated from falling into the river after a night out won’t it 🤷‍♂️🙄.

I then entered the Quarry, to find the main thoroughfare fenced off for the construction of the stage and tents.etc. for the Let’s Rock music festival that takes place this weekend. Apparently Soft Cell, The Undertones and Boomtown Rats are playing this time, a better line up than previous years. So I had to head up the paths and around past the swimming baths, which included a section across the grass as they’ve bizarrely fenced off a path that isn’t near any construction!

I then crossed Porthill bridge and up to Copthorne, then down Crowmeole Lane, where I encountered a runner and a chap walking, both coming towards me in the road, looking down at phones and oblivious to anyone around them, jumping out of their skin as I passed them 🙄.

I finished off by heading down Mousecroft Lane, to Nuffield and through Meole.

The ankle felt pretty good, so it’s coming along.

Jameshow

Veteran
A ride last night of 10 miles. I went in and out of the hamlet of Luson, then back home along the coast road

https://www.strava.com/activities/9339524694
View attachment 696682

And tonight I did a dozen miles up around Burraton. You can feel the rain coming…

The highlight was a common spotted orchid coming to the end of its glory
View attachment 696683

View attachment 696684

View attachment 696685

View attachment 696686
https://www.strava.com/activities/9346418576

Lovely part of Devon by the looks if it!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on my friends undersized mountain bike last Monday from Schladming in Austria. Not really sure how many miles I did as something went wrong with my Garmin & recorded only 6.5.
Anyway here are some pics of the most stunning country I have ever visited!
View attachment 698588

View attachment 698590

View attachment 698589

View attachment 698591

View attachment 698592

View attachment 698593

View attachment 698594

View attachment 698596

View attachment 698595

Wow, that looks amazing! I drove to Slovenia once via Austria. I can remember trundling along the motorway getting glimpses up valleys like that and wondering what was up there… now I know!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Was planning a ride this weekend and despairing at the wind and rain forecast so re-arranged things and got out today instead. Up over Jubilee Tower, then out toward the trough of Bowland avoiding more than the usual number of sheep. Skirted Dunsop Bridge and took the road over the Wild Boar park to Chipping. Had an early lunch then off up Beacon Fell before plotting a flattish route home. 90 Km with 1150 m of climbing felt enough today. Pictures of Jubilee Tower, Trough of Bowland and looking back to the mountain rescue hut.

69D3DF81-4FFA-4D8A-A3A6-A25BACD31DD5.jpeg

A708FA5F-8155-4A4F-B559-17AB46377222.jpeg

60FCCAB7-A566-4B62-A410-E6B6D9030518.jpeg

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Was planning a ride this weekend and despairing at the wind and rain forecast so re-arranged things and got out today instead. Up over Jubilee Tower, then out toward the trough of Bowland avoiding more than the usual number of sheep. Skirted Dunsop Bridge and took the road over the Wild Boar park to Chipping. Had an early lunch then off up Beacon Fell before plotting a flattish route home. 90 Km with 1150 m of climbing felt enough today. Pictures of Jubilee Tower, Trough of Bowland and looking back to the mountain rescue hut.

View attachment 698645

View attachment 698646

View attachment 698647

Looks like a great route. Forest of Bowland is on my to do list! Interesting saddlebag - very handy. Mind if I ask what make it is? And does it get in the way?

geocycle

Legendary Member
Looks like a great route. Forest of Bowland is on my to do list! Interesting saddlebag - very handy. Mind if I ask what make it is? And does it get in the way?
Yes the FoB is small but perfectly formed. There are several great routes across the main passes of Bowland Knotts, Cross o Greet and the Trough itself. Slaidburn and Chipping are good village locations with cafes.

The saddle bag is Carradice Barley. Loads of room for day rides, especially where you want to adjust clothing layers as the weather changes and carry food. I also have a smaller Carradice zipped role which is ok for tools, lock and small waterproof but not much else. Mounted in the traditional way you can feel the Barley against your legs although it is not really irritating to me. Using a bagman support or a simple T bar on the seat post would hold it more upright and away from you.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Usual pubrun yesterday evening. I decided to meet the others at Cranbrook, so 20k over the big hill to start. Then, after discussion, we set off to ride via Killerton & lanes to the pub. I went ahead on the hill past Killerton - there's a minimum practical speed up a hill on fixed. I was going to wait at the top but heard bikes & greetings, and I was joined by the club social ride. Rode for a while chatting to Matt, with a peloton behind, then thought I should say goodbye and rejoin my companions. I waited for a bit, realised that they had taken a right turn, so retraced and followed them, but took a wrong turn & ended up not far from where I started. Retrace again and find the right road, over the level crossing, under the motorway to the old main road. I turned left and hammered up the road to the pub, only to find the my companions hadn't arrived. Others who'd ridden direct were there. S & J turned up ten minutes later. They'd gone over the main road & taken the lanes route. More arrived until we numbered eight. An expensive round with the chips order.

We departed in darkness. T off ahead as usual. Four of us going in the same direction chugged back via Clyst H and the old village.

I could see E silhouetted in the top window as I arrived home. She watched me go past the house to do a short loop and raise the distance to 58km (I had to explain when I got in).

https://www.strava.com/activities/9440237282

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
Wednesday's ride. Cycling fitness is gradually returning after my knee operation. Quite windy, but I was sheltered by the hedges for most of the way. Maize harvesting has just begun and I had to squeeze past a couple of tractors. The drivers were well-behaved and stopped while I managed to edge past the wheels. The same can't be said for the plonker who almost knocked me off! 27km with 217 metres of climbing.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-07-14-14h46m24s061.png
    vlcsnap-2023-07-14-14h46m24s061.png
    467.4 KB · Views: 4
  • vlcsnap-2023-07-14-14h40m10s705.png
    vlcsnap-2023-07-14-14h40m10s705.png
    401.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 12_07_23 - A bike ride in Dodcott cum Wilkesley, England.png
    12_07_23 - A bike ride in Dodcott cum Wilkesley, England.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 4
  • vlcsnap-2023-07-14-14h29m42s620.png
    vlcsnap-2023-07-14-14h29m42s620.png