Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
It is no longer a dinglespeed (D-ouble s-INGLESPEED) since I got tired of dismounting and getting my hands oily changing the chain over to the climbing gear!

My attempt to make it a 2-speed with a good chainline but using a derailleur failed so I had to add some extra sprockets to make it work properly. It is now what I call a 6-er!

I did do most of the ride in my 42/15 gear (which was hard work at times!) but used the 42/29 to get up that nasty 15-20% ramp on the Old Roman Rd and a couple of the other ratios at other times.

Basically, I try to ride the bike as if it is still a singlespeed and only use lower gears if I have to. (I also used a higher gear for the fast run down into Todmorden when I was spinning out.)

I enjoy riding that bike that way. I especially like carrying my stuff in one of the panniers that I recently bought off @Vantage. Having a backpack on in very warm conditions is not nice. I will definitely use my CAAD5 for our next, very hilly ride though - I will make full use of its triple chainset for that one!

I still prefer the name "Dinglespeed", even if it's not technically accurate. ^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up early this morning as had to be back home before 8 am .
As I readied my Cougar I noticed a loose flap of rubber on the front tyre that when I gave it a quick pull it revealed a hole.
IMG_20230708_164743725.jpg

I didn't feel happy doing some miles on that so swapped to my Ian May road bike and set off.
Headed Wollaston way via town centre then up to Grendon , Earls Barton, Sywell,Ecton and around Overstone park and back home via Wilby .
A nice 32 miles and back home 30 minutes to spare.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After morning dog walking I got out on my mountain bike for a ride of just over 20 miles.

I headed down through the lanes to the bridleway that takes you through Flete. A quick spell along the A379 and a left onto the ridge road. I kept pushing a buzzard from tree to tree. Down the hill and up the nasty steep road to Penquit, I’d forgotten how much of a little test it is.

Back down to Ermington and then along the estate drive at Flete. I was naughty and stayed on it until the very private bits at Pamflete.

Home via Bull and Bear.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9412507358

IMG_4563.jpeg

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

How d feic did we stay dry!

We skirted round torrential showers to the Cafe and once under cover it really started to become biblical. So much so, we were forced indoors. Once it had passed over we actually managed to get to the pub and two dry outside pints in the pub when it started again. I thought our luck had ran out there as we were still we were going to be soaked but a mate and I actually out sprinted it!

7a5b4adf3af5746b3e0ec7668ae55830b705184b.png

8d4444f52ca0a1a24c2d43266214e68b571a2a77.jpg

c99491231fb4c0c5ccfe8782214a6eb9bbdf61c5.jpg

My ride home from work on Friday differed from usual. First part of the commute is going through some staggered barriers that immediately come onto an uphill shared path.There was a pedestrian making their way through the barrier as I got there so I stopped and gave way to them.at the point I typically change down on the front in preparation for the hill.

I set off, still in the wrong gear and, once through the barrier began the climb. A short distance later I flicked the left lever to change down. Disaster! For some reason the chain jammed, locking up the crank which would not go forward or backwards. I obviously then slowed to a stop and began falling to my left. With the left f still at the top of travel I wasn’t able to unclip in time and landed in a heap, my left hip and hand stopping me falling further.

After cancelling the crash alert on the Edge 1030, and refitting the chain, I remounted the bike and continued home, a usual combination of shared paths and quiet roads, some cobbled.

Thought nothing more of it till early yesterday when I woke with pain in my hand and wrist which was a little swollen. Attended a local minor injury clinic ( MIC) and was diagnosed with a scaphoid fracture 😒

I must say though I found the NHS experience excellent. Phoned 111 at 07:41 and was on the phone to them for a total of 23 minutes. At 8:21 I got a call from the local coordinating centre who booked me in at the MIC for 9am. Was taken in for consultation at the MIC at 9:01 and was xrayed, treated and out by 9:28.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up early again for what ever miles I could get done .
No route in mind as unsure how far to aim for so out of town and heading towards Earls Barton which gives me at least 3 options of routes .
Ended up heading towards Olney, Turvey, Carlton, Oakley, Pavenham, Bozeat, Grendon and home to include a lap of the town centre to bring me up to 50.05 miles on the Dawes Galaxy
IMG_20230709_055056825_HDR.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I was due to ride the Wye Valley Greenway early this morning with my friend Simon. Got up early and was changed, ready to go when I spotted the thunderstorm warning for the Chepstow area. Abort! Went out for a local ride instead. Another variation of my local routes to Frampton-on-Severn and Arlingham, but with a few detours thrown in. No wildlife this morning, but I had to zig-zag my way carefully through a gang of naughty escaped piglets near Arlingham. They eventually scattered in a squealy rabble in the general direction of their own farm. I threw in just enough extra mileage on the way home to bring up a metric half century, finishing on 51.5km/32 miles. No rain yet.

gavgav

Guru
Another very short ride, this morning, to continue the ankle rehab in the warm sunshine.

Repeated the first part of my route from Friday, but extended it to head down Longden Road, to Nobold and back through Meole Estate.

The foot was aching a bit today, so I don’t think there are many more miles in it yet, but still nice to do a bit.

7.33 miles at 11.9mph avg.

Out to Elton to meet a mate with the plan of meeting another mate who was doing the sign on at a local race. We were probably a little bit late to the 2nd meet area partly because we went a route more suitable to a skilled mtb rider, my mate is but I'm not :laugh: But mainly because somebody hadn't closed the gates and a lot of cows were trapped in a narrowish bridleway. After about a km they finally squeezed into a narrow gap which allowed us to go by.
1688911581192.png

9faW21XacYgNnjUXQiwOrDycIqthKQz8vEB1B7K8-1536x2048.jpg

EpP_f223jzIdfXbzUFm7aDEW2cu2iNb7f3rbyd6w-1536x2048.jpg

Quite impressed with this Squirt drip wax lube. I haven't even started to clean the bike yet and its like this :becool:

esrGl666zqI6emviOUZEFY38LQb6Wnw__VeP_Jcw-1536x2048.jpg

Mburton1993

Über Member
Misty early morning ride to Blackpool.
B5.png
5th Blackpool ride, 1st time on the mountain bike
IMG_20230709_062454.jpg
Pleased with the rucksack handlebar setup, the saddle bottle holder was a bit disappointing, the duct tape was not an aesthetic choice.
IMG_20230709_065249.jpg
Blackpool at it's best: empty
IMG_20230709_082124.jpg
You beauty! 😅
BR5.png
Not the fastest but surprisingly not the slowest, 4:08 there 5:07 back. Good test.

Oh and on the way back at around 10 o'clock near West Houghton there was a couple hundred cyclists going the other way, if you were in that event well done.

EDIT: Those couple hundred cyclists were doing the Christie Manchester to Blackpool ride.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I went to Aish Tor today to see high brown Fritillary butterfly, which I did fleetingly.

I’d also put the bike in the van to go for a short spin.

So the first half a mile was up a long grassy slope starting at 15%, so I was knackered!

The views down into the Dart gorge, over Dartmoor and across the South Hams.

I did have to walk a couple of times in the first mile due to steep inclines and loose rocks.

I passed a family of Dartmoor ponies.

Along under Sharp Tor, but then I doubled back on myself as I was going down a steep road, presumably to a farm.

So I went up to Corndon Down. More dismounts for rocks.

I stopped at the Cave-Penney cross.

Then up to the top of the Tor.

I sat out of the wind for 5 minutes. Then I got up and looked to see a curtain of rain coming!

Off I went. At one point I got my front wheel stuck and I had a slow motion off! The nearby sheep giggled.

Back down through Poundsgate and the van.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9419058424

7 fun miles.

IMG_4589.jpeg

IMG_4590.jpeg

IMG_4592.jpeg

IMG_4594.jpeg

IMG_4595.jpeg

IMG_4601.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg

IMG_4603.jpeg

IMG_4599.jpeg

IMG_4595.jpeg

a.twiddler

Veteran
Your Ride Today
7/7/23

The forecast was fine for today so last night I had it in mind to have another go at getting to Bridge 74 on the Montgomery Canal and cycling the bit of towpath I’d had to miss last year. At my rate of progress I’d need to start early to cover the 84 or so miles by evening.
However, it was not to be as I found some jobs needed doing this morning.

Instead, I got going at 11 on a local mystery ride instead. I’ve been evaluating the HP velotechnik Spirit recumbent which I bought recently so I’ve not ridden the Linear since my 63 mile trip about a month ago. With the Spirit, I’ve been gradually tweaking the adjustments every time I went out so it was nice to drag the Linear out and just sit on it, and everything just fitted.

In fact it is just unbelievably comfortable with its fairly upright seat and underseat steering.

Out though the gate with a pair of tan chinos, a blue tee shirt, black nondescript shoes, grey cap and shades. I’m using a set of cheapo Aldi track mitts at the moment as one of my ancient crocheted ones has gone AWOL. If the other one turns up, they’ll be pressed into service.

A couple of minutes adjusting mirrors etc then a downhill launch. A slight wobble at first then I get into the familiar rhythm. I find my knees rising and falling more than I’m used to then realise that this bike has 170mm cranks while the Spirit has 160mm ones. Despite the shortness of my legs it’s not a problem, and soon feels familiar again. In no time I’m settled in and rolling comfortably.
I follow a van downhill to the lights at Darnhall bridge and hang back a bit hoping they’ll change for him and let me get a bit of momentum up to attack the other side. They stubbornly remain red and I come to a stop. Finally they change and I twirl my way up the other side, surprisingly easily. There seems to be no wind as I usually find in my face here so I make the most of it. So far I’m going quite well. Up over the summit then level with mild undulations towards Wettenhall. Down a dip, up the other side then right into Long Lane. Not too familiar with this area so I just press on.

After a bit of a zig zag it is indeed a long straight lane. I can hear vehicles coming from far behind but they give me plenty of room. I pass a turning on the right signposted for Eaton so I make a note of it for later. From time to time an immense tractor and trailer goes past.I pass a few impressive old farmhouses but mostly everything is wide open and green.

I pass a turning on the left for Calveley but continue. Soon I hear the traffic on the A51, then I see it flashing past in both directions, so I turn back before reaching it, heading for the junction for Calveley.
P1020823.JPG

I turn right into Calveley Hall Lane. There are several large old houses along here, one of them must have been Calveley Hall but it was secluded behind a high hedge so I only caught a glimpse in passing. I hear another huge tractor and trailer coming up behind so I pull over into a field entrance to give him room. The driver looks down from his lofty cab and raises a hand in acknowledgement. It must be like being king of the world up there. Almost immediately another equally large tractor appears from the other direction. This is going to be interesting. The lane looks too narrow for them to pass. Somehow they both drive on to the extremes of the verge, one pushing into the hedge, and they squeak past each other. They must know their width to the last millimetre.

I continue along this lane. I was going to try to do today’s trip without looking at the map, but when I reach a junction on the left signposted “Calveley School” I’m a bit conflicted. I turn up the lane and come to the school on the left. I’d planned to take a picture of the building but it must have been break time as there were kids in the playground. A sign of the times, maybe, but it’s not a good idea to be seen lurking outside school gates with a camera in this day and age. So I move on up the lane and get the map out to see where this lane goes, and maybe go back to the turning to continue in the direction I was going. I wonder from my brief view of the school building whether it’s a Victorian one sandblasted and restored or a newer one in an older style. On balance I lean towards the former. I doubt that councils have the money to be building schools, and with the population ageing, more likely to be centralising pupils and closing small village ones.

As I look at the map, I see that the lane I’m on leads to Wettenhall with no turnings off, and the lane I’d left leads to the A51. It is tempting to go to the A51 as within about half a mile of the junction the Middlewich branch of the Trent and Mersey meets the Shropshire Union canal at Barbridge Junction with a picturesque bridge then there is a lane back to Wettenhall. Then again, I can’t recall coming this way before so I decide to carry on out of curiosity.

I put my map away and as I’m zipping my bag I hear a tractor and trailer coming my way past the school. Before I know it, it’s blasted past in a cloud of dust and grass stalks. The peak of my cap flutters and as I grab at it, it flips back over my head and lands somewhere behind me. I retrieve it from a patch of nettles and cram it back on. I see the tractor and trailer turn into a field way ahead on the right. I get aboard and am ready to launch when another tractor and trailer emerge from the field so I sit tight and hold on to my hat. Another cloud of dust and grass stalks then I’m under way.
From the way they’re tearing about there must be some pressure on to get the hay in.

It’s getting warm now and I’m grateful for the self generated breeze. The lane gently undulates, makes a few turns then I pass another, smaller red tractor cutting the grass on the verge on the right, outside a large house. The breeze blows a cloud of grass dust over me as I pass by. I’m making the acquaintance of a lot of grass today. I’m fortunate not to suffer from hay fever. I come to the staggered crossroads at Wettenhall. I go left and still enjoy some easy pedalling. Summertime, and the living is easy.

I come to the junction with Long Lane and decide to explore that turn off to Eaton further along it. I continue, wondering if it will come out on the A51 itself, or on to another lane beforehand with the option of turning off. I come to the signposted turnoff and turn right. It really is a minor lane, badly surfaced and gently undulating as it winds aimlessly about. There is no breeze, nothing about. I dawdle, freewheeling here, pedalling slowly in ridiculously high gear there. Will I get over this tiny summit without pedalling...yes, no, maybe, yeees, then rolling at 0.001mph and gathering some speed to get up the other side then over the top, one twirl of the pedals then downhill. Sometimes it’s just nice to indulge in cycling silliness, release the inner child. Oh well, got that spasm of whimsicality out of the system, better press on. The surface improves and unexpectedly I reach a T junction. There is a sign post opposite. Well, a post. Either someone has pinched the direction signs or they’ve fallen off. I look about, but just see anonymous Cheshire farmland. I don’t recognise anything. Ha! Says the universe. You’ve had your go at silliness. Now it’s my turn. I grit my teeth. Must. Not. Look. At. The. Map. Supposed to get lost, that’s the point, and anyway I’ve already cheated and had my illicit cartographic fix for today. I mentally toss a coin and turn right. I pass Oulton Grange. Several farms. I’m hoping for a turning to the left towards Oulton Park but it seems increasingly likely that I should have turned left.

Unexpectedly quickly, I come to the T junction on Wettenhall road and turn left. Steady progress to Darnhall village Hall where the Kit Kat in my bag beckons. I stop there on a handy bench for a short rest.
P1020824.JPG

Next comes the drop down to Darnhall bridge where the traffic lights stand like impassive sentinels. A car goes by and I follow it slowly to the lights expecting them to change to green within seconds. I roll so slowly it’s like a solo slow bicycle race and end up stopping behind the car. Naturally the lights change at that point.

I don’t find the climb out of the dip at Darnhall bridge too taxing and soon get up to speed again. I’m beginning to feel the heat by now and the hot breeze as I trundle along isn’t helping much. I feel my face burning.
After I hear voices behind me I expect a bunch of roadies to come flying past but they follow me into the teeming metropolis where I live, at my slothful 13mph. I signal right to get onto the pavement for the last few yards to my back gate. As they go past I see they’re a man and a woman on bikes and though they are wearing lycra I don’t think they are particularly sporty; maybe curious about me and the bike.
As I get going again on the pavement a group of youths on mountain bikes turn right from a road on the left, maybe following NCN 551. They are chattering amongst themselves then go quiet until one says, “Hooarr, sick bike!”. Another says, “Gissa ride!”. I ding my bell, wave, and laugh and they go on their way.

I get through the gate, go inside and cool off under the fan. Just a short one today. Not enjoying this heat.

Distance 16.66 miles. Max speed 22.5 mph. Average speed 8.5 mph. According to Garmin.
Altitude gained 304ft. According to Bikehike.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I went to Aish Tor today to see high brown Fritillary butterfly, which I did fleetingly.

I’d also put the bike in the van to go for a short spin.

So the first half a mile was up a long grassy slope starting at 15%, so I was knackered!

The views down into the Dart gorge, over Dartmoor and across the South Hams.

I did have to walk a couple of times in the first mile due to steep inclines and loose rocks.

I passed a family of Dartmoor ponies.

Along under Sharp Tor, but then I doubled back on myself as I was going down a steep road, presumably to a farm.

So I went up to Corndon Down. More dismounts for rocks.

I stopped at the Cave-Penney cross.

Then up to the top of the Tor.

I sat out of the wind for 5 minutes. Then I got up and looked to see a curtain of rain coming!

Off I went. At one point I got my front wheel stuck and I had a slow motion off! The nearby sheep giggled.

Back down through Poundsgate and the van.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9419058424

7 fun miles.

View attachment 698241

View attachment 698242

View attachment 698243

View attachment 698244

View attachment 698245

View attachment 698246

View attachment 698247

View attachment 698248

View attachment 698249

View attachment 698250