Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I ditched work early today, it’s been horrible. Once home the weather looked ok ish so I went out on my mountain bike.

I decided to risk running into farmer Phil as it was early in the day, but he couldn’t be seen through the mist and fog. But I only did the first half of the Warren, then the mizzle thickened up, so I joined the road.

IMG_5874.jpeg

IMG_5875.jpeg

IMG_5876.jpeg

IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5876.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/9756522401

IMG_5878.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This morning saw a little utilty run on the Fuji, once I'd finally fixed the front end puncture (binned the tube after three unsuccessful attempts to patch a pretty nasty pinch puncture of my own making). The ride was short and productive; taking in such heady attractions as the bottle bank, eggmonger and Post Office.

It wasn't particularly fun as it was warmer / more humid than anticipated and as usual some knobheads were encountered on the roads; while my legs felt wrung out - probably due to the hangover from Wednesday's hard effort on the way to work.

Having resigned to stay in and rot for the rest of the day I was buoyed by the glorious afternoon sun and set out once more for provisions. Had a really pleasant ride to the town that shall not be named, minced around Sainsburys for a bit then made my way back.. all the time accompanied by a couple of fantastic, recently rediscovered psychedelic trance / ambient mixes on the MP3 player :smile:

Nowt special but it felt great just to be out; a reminder of how much I love this time of year; even if it's a prelude to the cold, dark chasm of misery to come.

About 18 miles at a nice sedate speed with a few stops along the way :smile:

IMG_20230901_181110.jpg

IMG_20230901_184153.jpg

The view from the hill.. doesn't look like a lot but the gravel track to this point tops out at about 13%. Managed it seated with full panniers on 36/34 gearing; which wasn't too uncomfortable and felt like progress..

IMG_20230901_185200.jpg

:smile:

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It's that time of year again. Big tides, crowds out to watch the natural spectacle that is the Severn Bore. I have the timing down to a fine art these days, knowing exactly how long it takes me to get myself down to Epney to watch the wave ... so it came as a bit of a shock this morning to have to ride through a couple of "Road closed" signs and along a couple of miles of fresh new road dressing. It felt like a gravel ride, and I had to keep the speed down and stay off the brakes in the corners as the bike was wobbling a bit. I got to Epney with ten minutes to spare, so I carried on to Framilode Church, where I parked up and waited for my first sight of the bore.
DSCF1561.JPG

Once I saw it coming, I didn't hang around, but leapt back into the saddle and belted it back to the waterfront viewing point in Epney to watch the surfers.
DSCF1573.JPG

DSCF1577.JPG

DSCF1578.JPG

DSCF1581.JPG

The tide timetables for the River Severn predicts the size of bores using a star grading system, 1* being a small one and 5* being a once a year phenomenal one. Today's was forecast as a 3*, though you can never tell for sure how a bore will develop, as various factors such as river levels, wind speed and direction, atmospheric pressure etc all come into play. In the end, it was a decent wave today, living up to its billing, with a continuous wave right across the river at Epney, though by all accounts it had been something of a non event at Arlingham. Once it passed, I sped off back towards Stonebench just to the South of Gloucester, skidding my way through the same newly laid gravel surface dressing. Made it with about ten minutes to spare, which I spent chatting to a couple of locals. A speed boat signalled the approach of the bore, so I retreated to the opposite side of the road to avoid the inevitable splash. Those with kids stayed where they were to get the full wet and wild experience. (Kids love it).
DSCF1588.JPG

At Stonebench the river is much narrower, and the bore often presents itself as a mere sudden swell instead of a defined surfing wave, followed by a lot of splashing on the banks and a sudden torrent going the wrong way. You only get a few seconds of drama, unlike at Epney, where you get to watch it for a few minutes as it comes around a large bend in the river with clear lines of sight.
DSCF1589.JPG

I left before the road flooded. Just the 14.7 miles today, but a great little outing. A nice way of combining my hobbies of bore watching and cycling.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Lovely summer day, why did it have to wait until September? Planned a tour de Lune, following the river north through Kirby Lonsdale then continuing toward Sedbergh. Couldn’t resist an extension up Barbondale, over the crest and down Gawthrop into Dentdale. I chose the quieter of the two quiet roads to Sedbergh. Barbondale was stunning as usual, I normally go down it but todays uphill foray gave a totally different perspective. The only blemish was a close encounter with a grouse shoot which wasn’t at all pleasant. More friendly were Kendal cycling club heading towards me. From Sedbergh it was up into the Howgills, the distinctive deforested hills you see from the M6. Crossing the Lune gorge involved some 20% slopes and I winched my way west towards Kendal. Home via some classic Cycle.Travel vegetated roads through the drumlin field and more hills. Overall 105 km with 1546m of climbing.

Pictures of Barbondale, bike at foot of Dentdale and crossing the Lune near Howgills.

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

IMG_0227.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@geocycle those pictures are splendid!

Just an average 15 and a half miles for me today on my road bike. Absolutely nothing to report apart from something I’m not sure I’ve ever posted on here….

The Kitley estate is in Yealmpton and old mother Hubbard was in their employ.

This is her cottage. It used to be a fine dining place, but now it’s a Chinese takeaway.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9768733172

IMG_5918.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
The rarity this year of a fine Saturday with no stupidly strong winds. The Defy headed out on the east to Knaresborough, north to Farnham, east to Arkendale route from where I turned north west in order to head north on the A6055 to Minskip.

A scarecrow festival was on.
Of the non specific person ones a mermaid was probably the best, some others were weird and I am unconvinced a face on a hay bale would fool a bird no matter how dumb.
mermaid-miskip.jpg

Pinocchio was good possibly rivalled by Mary Poppins who located under a tree with its shade and the black dressed figure made for a difficult photo needing much lightening to become anyway near visible
pinnochio - minskipjpg.jpg

?hash=d98155fcf018624a5d036599816893b9.jpg

Back to Farnham via Staveley and then Scotton and pass Brearton to Ripley and the Nidderdale Greenway. Still the roadworks on the stretch of the A59 I use so I continued on the Greenway towards the town centre. Rediscovered why I dislike that section as its curved route at some point means the sun is dead ahead and today it was a case of I can hear a bike approaching but cannot see it – we missed each other.
Came out further than I was expecting and another 50km near miss - 31.01 miles 1496ft climbed 13.6 mph avg
1693681191367.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
1st September 2023.
I’d hoped to get this ride done in August but with one thing and another, and uncertain weather, it didn’t happen.

As I set off in the September sunshine from my back gate there was an undercurrent of cold. I had on a light fleece, usual black trousers and general purpose shoes. Black cap, shades and track mitts.

The object of the exercise was to largely retrace my route of a couple of months ago on the Linear which took me through Northwich locks and along a riverside path then along a bridleway to get a more or less direct comparison between it and the Spirit in the same conditions.

So, through the lanes to Swanlow Lane, right at the uphill traffic lights, over a hump then downhill to the turn off to the town centre. A free ride down the hill until a hesitant driver held up traffic while waiting for uphill traffic to pass some parked cars. Come on mate, you could get a bus through there! Fortunately he and his train of following vehicles got going before I had to stop and put my feet down. Onwards to the A54 lights where I waited with the traffic for the green, then over the steep camber and into Grange Lane. It didn’t take long to reach the point where it turned right. Two cars came in the opposite direction, one passed then I turned right before the other came. I got a gratuitous beep so I gave a cheery wave and pressed on.

I passed a group of teenagers while passing through the built up part of Grange Lane. One of them shouted, “Hey! Do a wheelie!” No need. In my mind I’m doing a permanent wheelie while riding a recumbent.

Down, down until I reached a broken surfaced dip and even though I chose the smoothest line I was grateful for the suspension. Up the other side then squelching through the mud by the entrance barrier to the Whitegate Way.

Up a gravelly ramp to the rail trail. I could feel my face burning, and I was certainly warming up. Masses of encroaching undergrowth, the sun dappling the trail. The trend was uphill but despite that I got enough speed up to create a small breeze. A few dog walkers and cyclists about, but generally pretty quiet.
P1020856.JPG

The shrubbery rolled by, I reached the bridge over Dalefords Lane then the trail levelled out and I came to Whitegate station car park. I stopped to briefly inspect the plumbing, took my fleece off and stuffed it in my bag, then got under way again. I heard a horse whinny behind the screening foliage but by the time I got on to the trail again there was no sign of it. I rolled past the old platform and heard the clink of cups and the clatter of cutlery from the cafe. Tempting to stop but I carried on, and before I knew it I was beyond the platform end and through the station bridge.

As I pressed on the surface became muddy in places. I soon realised that a lightly loaded small front wheel and a muddy surface don’t make the best of bedfellows. I need more time with this bike to get confident with slippery situations.

The muddy patches soon cleared and I was able to get rolling at a decent rate again. I came to the ramp for Kennel Lane bridge and tried to rush it. I stalled near the top. Needed to change down sooner! I turned onto the bridge. The first part of the lane was rutted and muddy which made for exciting going but after crossing another lane the surface was drier which made for better progress. In fact I was quite pleased with the ride here. Before long I had a decent downhill stretch on to tarmac then uphill towards the A 556.

Here I turned right in Sandiway towards Northwich, after waiting for a gap in the traffic. There’s a good long downhill on the dual carriageway towards Northwich before turning off. Out of Sandiway and down the hill I went, then starting to go uphill again before turning left and climbing to the junction with the old Chester Road. From here it was a steady freewheel to Hartford and Castle.

Right into Darwin St, then under a railway bridge into an estate at the end and out on to the River Weaver at Northwich Locks.
P1020858.JPG

A boy and his mum passed by as I was taking some photos and the boy said, “Look Mum, that’s a really really nice bike”.
P1020859.JPG

All the footbridges over the locks were open today so it was easy to get across with the bike. Certainly there was a steady stream of cyclists pedalling across despite signs prohibiting cycling.
Through a barrier, across a footbridge then right along the riverside path. A couple of barriers by the Rowing Club, then a clear route to the A556 bridge over the Weaver.
A view of the swing footbridge back to the locks seen from the rowing club.
P1020860.JPG

The surface is good, mainly crushed gravel. I passed by a stretch with several boatyards on the other side and many boats and small ships tied up nearby.
P1020861.JPG

Beyond this were a couple of benches so I stopped and took a break.
P1020862.JPG

A Chinese family cycled by on a variety of mountain bikes and folders, all chatting away in Mandarin or Cantonese, I have no way of knowing which.

A group of young mountain bikers rode by, one of them said, “That’s a cool bike”. “Thank you”, I replied. This bike attracts a lot of attention, more than the Linear, if that’s possible. Maybe it’s because it’s bright yellow. Gonna have to get myself a humungous chain lock, I think.

I got under way again and was soon under the A556 bridge. I stopped for a photo since I took one here with the Linear last time.
P1020863.JPG

I noticed that the kissing gate to the Weaver Parkway had its gate pinned open. Last time, I went up the steep incline to Davenham as though it is possible to get the Linear through each gate on its back wheel, it’s a bit of a faff. They certainly weren’t pinned open last time.

So I continued my riverside ride. The surface on this stretch wasn’t so good as the Northwich side of the A556 bridge but the suspension certainly helped. All the gates were wide open so it was straightforward getting through them.
It was a pleasant ride with the occasional dog walker but I didn't see any cyclists.
P1020865.JPG

I passed under the tall viaduct where the West Coast main Line crosses the Weaver downstream of Vale Royal locks. The path has railings between it and the river here, though when I originally used to cycle this route years ago with the kids there were none. Perhaps we were all a bit bolder then.
Shortly afterwards the locks came into view. I crossed over to take a picture in front of the sluice before continuing along the riverside trail.
P1020866.JPG

Finally, approaching Meadowbank bridge there was the last gate. This had its swinging gate in place, and it was a pedestrian sized one, too short to get a standard bike through. The Spirit is slightly shorter than my tourer, but still wouldn’t go through on its wheels. Up on its back wheel it went, the front wheel turned through 90 degrees, the gate swung beneath it, and down on its wheels again on the other side.

A short trundle among some trees, a couple of muddy patches then a right turn on to the Meadowbank bridge and then left on to Bradford road. An uphill, gradually easing and letting me click up through the gears past the salt mine, level, then a cooling downhill to turn right at a dropped pavement and get on the lower end of the Whitegate Way. Cool, shady and gradually uphill, I passed a couple with a dog then another couple jogging downhill and looking a bit grim faced.

I came to the old Catsclough crossing with rails set into the roadway. Here I turned left on to a rather bumpy track which gave the suspension a good work out. I came across a fallen ivy covered tree which just left me a little space to squeeze through between it and the hedge bank. Downhill, then a steep and rough climb up to Grange Lane to turn left to the sports complex. Through the playing fields following the tarmacked path to the exit barrier. I paddled through with the Humpert bars just clearing it on either side. Just as I was getting going again a mountain biker with all the gear zoomed down the steep lane and squeezed through, going the other way, He said “Hi”, I said “Hi” and we both continued our separate ways. I pedalled on up the steep lane to a T junction.

Uphill through an estate, changing up then left on to Delamere St. As usual it was slow going to start with but the road gently undulated and I built up speed. Adjusting my speed as I approached the A54 roundabout I slowed as a batch of cars went past then dived into the gap behind them trying to build up speed to get over the deceptive rise at my turn off. Pedalling steadily, the patient traffic gave me plenty of room when they passed until I came to a stop behind a queue at Townfields road lights.

Speeding up easily downhill here on green I was able to carry some of that speed through my uphill turn off without having to struggle for too long in lower gears. Then followed a leisurely freewheel through the lanes to my back gate.

Distance 18.7 miles. Max speed 29.9 mph. Average 7.0mph. According to Garmin.

Ascent 598 ft according to Bikehike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Weather has been a bit hit and miss this last week whilst at the caravan, but managed a quick 20 miler yesterday after taking MrsF to Llanberis for a swim. This morning was a short trip with family to Prestatyn sea front for a sausage butty.

The Herety caught the attention of Ruthin Cycling club - one of the 'members' caught having a gawp on a club photo

nova.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a long dog walk I decided my best use of time was to ride up the puffing Billy track.

Just through the gate onto the moor and I heard a jingle jangle from the rear wheel. A broken spoke. I tethered it to its nearest neighbour and set off.

The views over the South Hams were as good as ever. A flock of linnets exploded in front of me.

There were more sheep than cattle on the way up, the Belted Galloway conspicuous in their absence.

Nearing the Redlake volcano I opted to ride through the big puddle…. It was deeper than the pedal stroke!

I had a snooze in the warm sun to help shoes and socks dry out a little.

Back down I went. I took a slight detour to a Tor that overlooked Cornwood and beyond.

On my way back I felt the rear wheel bottom out on a rock. Hooray, a puncture!

I was just up from the pool where the white horses live, and every Belted Galloway from miles around had come for a drink and a bath.

Meanwhile, my Lezyne bike pump was malfunctioning, just not pumping air. So I rode the last 2.5 miles on a completely flat back tyre. Not a good day for my rear end!

https://www.strava.com/activities/9776851173

IMG_5945.jpeg

IMG_5953.jpeg

IMG_5955.jpeg

IMG_5957.jpeg

8F368599-5B5C-48AD-BFF3-4E54191F9E1D.jpeg

IMG_5965.jpeg

IMG_5966.jpeg

IMG_5963.jpeg

IMG_5969.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Outdoor thermometers said 26 and 30 so I decided on a route of largely limited gradient degrees that would be accomplished on one water bottle. Even so, the initial 3 ¼ miles were at 100ft/mile.
The wind was more noticeable today but only the upper part of the long drag west from Beckwithshaw was hampered by it.
Paused at the summit; long range views were hazy but down in the valley Scargill reservoir was prominent.
scargill res.jpg

North west to Bland Hill and then north on the B6451 – wary moment crossing the A59 as a car in the opposite direction started to turn right without any indication.
Signs said road closed as turned east onto Menwith Hill Road; it was a complete closure – so I retraced my route back across the A59 and east on Penny Pot Lane.
21.23 miles 1247ft climbed 13.5mph avg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What a beautiful sunny day in Gloucestershire today. Perfect for the latest edition of our old colleagues' "cyclocrawl" series. The last few times we have headed out to the Anchor at Epney, the Ship at Framilode, the Red Lion at Arlingham and the Pilot at Hardwicke, all to the South of Gloucester. This time we crossed the Severn and headed Northwards towards Tewkesbury - a nice flat ride across the Hams, apart from a brisk little climb up onto the Woolridge in each direction.

DSCF1590.JPG

DSCF1594.JPG

Great quiet lanes made for a nice bit of chat-as-you-go cycling. First pit stop was the Lower Lode Inn at Forthampton, on the banks of the Severn within sight of the spire of Tewkesbury Abbey. Nice cider.
DSCF1595.JPG

DSCF1597.JPG

After that, we headed back South, stopping off at another lovely riverside pub, the Yew Tree at Chaceley Stock. Put the world to rights, had a great laugh and more nice cider.
DSCF1599.JPG

Headed back home having been out for about 7 hours, covering just 33.3 miles! A most successful day out. I have a feeling we might be repeating this route on future rides. Great to catch up with old work colleagues, but I don't miss the office at all. Happily retired for 4 1/2 years now.

Top Bottom