Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel

Dave 123

Legendary Member
That selfie would make for a great profile picture!

I think the slug is better looking!

Bristolian

A dull, wet, overcast day in Bristol today but I felt the urge to get off the turbo trainer and put some real miles beneath my wheels and into the legs. I planned to ride one of my favourite routes (about 33km) that has a nice mix of urban and rural streets/roads but it was colder than I had thought before I left home and by the time I'd ridden about 6 miles my feet were freezing. Note to self; wear the overshoes you've just bought, stupid :ohmy:

Fortunately, there was a short cut that I have used in the past so I took that. I didn't just head for home though, and did a circuit of the MoD complex at Abbey Wood so that I could climb the hill by the reception gate. I hate it but it gives me a good gauge of how I'm feeling as I near the end of the ride so I tend to add it to my rides.

Nothing interesting to photograph, I'm afraid :sad:
20231216.jpg

My ride was actually yesterday but I was in a wee bit of a rush to get a ride in before a party so I’m only posting now.

It was out over Haddon Hill to Elton Furze for a potential meet. I hung around there for about 15 mins (didn’t help I was early as normal, so I only gave 5mins after the meet time) but nobody turned up. I should have gave about 8 mins though as one of my mates did but I had gone. I had a rough route in my head that I reckoned would take me about 2hours and give me enough time to walk 4.3 miles to town for the train. Down to Polebrook and up Chicken Farm Hill, round Barnwell and home kept that at what I felt was a tempo pace. Lol with the route to the meet and a more direct route back (not entirely circular) it was circa 2/3 head wind and only 1/3 tail wind. I was barely 15.5mph out for the 23miles to Barnwell and 18.7mph for the 11miles home. That earned me 5 beers but I might have exceeded that ;-)

Lol I think I need to tighten my HR strap or get a new one. It looks like it read flawlessly until I got the tailwind.

Today's ride never happened, I might muster a walk round the block ;-)

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well the snow is a distant memory unfortunately and the rain continues to fall on what has been officially the wettest year in 15 years. Today though, whilst grey was at least dry and relatively warm at 9 degrees.

Riding by the river was not an option due to the floodplain being mostly underwater, so I headed North and into the forest there.

IMG_20231217_104512785.jpg

It was surprisingly dry under my wheels for the first few kilometers and there's not a soul to be seen as usual.

IMG_20231217_110201575_HDR.jpg

The trail is the usual mix of mud, grass and gravel roads. I make good time up to the Wildecker Teiche and pause awhile on the shore eating a flapjack and enjoying the solitude.

IMG_20231217_112623960_HDR.jpg

I turn East now onto good gravel roads for a short while as the puddles start to turn larger and more frequent.

IMG_20231217_113358782_HDR.jpg

It all goes well for a while until at one particularly large puddle, I manage to reach halfway before my senses tell me that something is amiss and jumping ship would be a wise move. I manage to get to safety without getting my feet wet and look back at the bike, yep that's deep.

IMG_20231217_113939477_HDR.jpg

I manage to heave and haul the bike to dry land and we continue on our way. The next kilometers are muddy and wet through the deep forest, at one point I can clearly see Deer and Wild Boar tracks in the soft ground.

IMG_20231217_115855979_HDR.jpg

After a while the forest mud gives way to unsurfaced roads as I enter the final kilometres of the ride. It's finally dry under my wheels and my speed picks up despite the stiff headwind.

IMG_20231217_122626089_HDR.jpg

The last kilometers are on a mix of gravel and quiet tarmacked roads, I start to wish for my gravel bike and the dropped handlebars as the wind really picks up. It's hard work on the more upright flat bars, but I finally ride into my back garden covered in mud and looking forward to a warm shower.

36 kilometers today in mixed conditions, but the warmer weather was pleasant.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
club ride to the CTC mince pie run in Belton village hall
Very steady pace even for me as i hadn't done a club ride in a month but the mixed group was very steady , averaging 14 mph .
Got to the village hall early thankfully as by the time we left it was heaving and the bikes were buried 3-4 deep .2 of us won in the tombola and luckily i took some cash as i had a feeling it was a cash only affair.
My club gilet zip was missing so i had to grab another gilet at the last minute !. On the way back i had a puncture on a glass shard and it turned out the pump i had which had never been used since i bought it had seized so i had to borrow another one to inflate the new tube, that's the next job stripping the pump to see why as it feels like suction is stopping the handle moving properly but no air comes out .
EDIT stripped the pump and the plunger inside is wet so i have left it dismantled to dry
After we got back to the meeting point i chanced it and did another 16 miles solo to get my metric century ride in for the month and pumped my avg closer to 15 .
Phew !!! that felt good :smile:

Attachments

• 2ocjFKx3EeyTK7LBM47Q2rBDP22dumfmh30d3uiG0YA-2048x1536.jpg
    2ocjFKx3EeyTK7LBM47Q2rBDP22dumfmh30d3uiG0YA-2048x1536.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 13
  • YS9wOMrVqffzkosipYQvFSC-yVZa4v29HQ0dRcRUpK4-2048x1536.jpg
    YS9wOMrVqffzkosipYQvFSC-yVZa4v29HQ0dRcRUpK4-2048x1536.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 12
  • tJEV2ApaDVBZWnqMkmHPTUxJjf2HkWYssRwPeaE_mRc-2048x1536.jpg
    tJEV2ApaDVBZWnqMkmHPTUxJjf2HkWYssRwPeaE_mRc-2048x1536.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I nearly headed for Dartmoor this afternoon, but I didn’t!

So I headed down Widey Hill and up the valley. I dropped down at Preston and went to see the alpacas.

From there I went along the bridleway, but I didn’t get far….. I was feeling a bit deflated. In inspection I found that I was indeed deflated.

Twas a massive thorn.

Once I was set to go I had a WhatsApp from Lisa- “are you anywhere near mums?’

20 minutes later I was stood on a chair fixing her conservatory blinds.

A mince pie and a coffee later and I went through Ford to come home via Bull and Bear.

Eleven and a half miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10395874403
IMG_8042.jpeg

IMG_8044.jpeg

IMG_8045.jpeg

IMG_8048.jpeg

IMG_8049.jpeg

IMG_8050.jpeg

IMG_8051.jpeg

IMG_8052.jpeg

a.twiddler

Veteran
16/12/23

On the HP Velo Spirit today. First reasonable ride since fitting a Big Apple to the front and taking a hacksaw to the vertical stem to lower the bars by a couple of inches.

I turned left out through the back gate into an immediate headwind. Oh well. Should be a following wind on the way back. I’d adjusted the seat forward after reducing the height of the stem, but it probably wanted to go back a little. I needed to try it for a few miles.

The lights were in my favour at the dip at Darnhall bridge which was a bonus towards getting up the other side. I trundled philosophically uphill into the wind. My legs were feeling a little cramped so I stopped to adjust the seat back a little. Better, but not quite there yet. I continued in the direction of Wettenhall, sheltered a little by the hedges as the road wound about. I came to a dip and powered down it, making it most of the way up the other side before having to drop down through the gears and having to grind up the last bit. Shortly afterwards I turned right into Long Lane, steaming down another dip and grinding up the other side. I remembered from previous rides during the summer that the two dips led to bridges over the same stream, Bankside Brook. On the right I passed St David’s church. A random bit of information floated across my mind, that St David was a 6th century monk who became patron saint of Wales. His mother was St Non, his father, no idea. What’s the connection with this isolated church in Cheshire? Have to look into it. Soon I came to a turning on the right, signposted Eaton, which I took. The initial part had a terrible surface but improved further on. The lane wound about, rose and fell gently past the occasional farmhouse and barn conversion. One or two local cars passed by.

In the distance I saw two dogs outside a field entrance. Unusually they were unaccompanied. One was a young black and white whippet type thing, the other was a small wiry haired terrier of some sort. The whippet trotted towards me, more curious than anything, so I spoke to it. It went behind me and I kept a wary eye on it in the mirror. It then trotted alongside me seeming to enjoy the company until we were near the terrier which just ran away ahead of me. The whippet shot off after it then both stopped as if to wait for me. They didn’t move as I went past but followed me for a while before losing interest.

Soon after that canine interlude I came to a T junction with a post but no signs on it. Last time I came this way, during the summer, I turned right, so today I turned left. This was Hickhurst Lane and soon I passed a junction on the left to Tilstone Fearnall then a junction to the right into King’s Lane which I followed. My bladder was clamouring for attention by now and I knew there was a series of field gates along here, one or two of which were often left open. No such luck today, however, so I carried on to where the wall to Oulton Park met the lane. Here I stopped to tweak the seat a bit further back. It was much better after this. The reduction in bar height was an improvement, too as even with the lowest adjustment of it at standard length previously I'd felt that I was peering over the bars.

Just before I came to the junction with Rushton Lane a builder’s pick up truck came the other way, followed by a large SUV. The SUV was easily as wide as the truck, and I had to ride on the edge of the road for both to pass.

Turning right along Rushton Lane I enjoyed a long downhill. There was racing going on, on the other side of the wall, and I kept an eye on the mirror for anything coming up behind me, drowned out by the noise. Up the other side of a dip, grinding up the last few yards to the summit then level-ish to a T junction with Beech Road where I turned right. Some easy rolling past the entrance to Oulton Park before a gradual climb through the trees then a left turn into Park Road. A few cars about, exiting the race circuit, some with rorty exhausts, but none coming my way.

Park Road has a long downhill stretch into a dip then a climb back out of it. It’s deceptive, as what looks like the road going straight on uphill beyond the bottom of the dip is actually a long driveway and the road turns sharp right, hidden by a high hedge bank. You wouldn’t want to meet a car coming the other way at that point. This knowledge deters you from going for it so you can get a run up at the other side. There was nothing coming so I got most of the way up then had to slog up the rest. Once over the top the road undulates a bit and it’s easier going.

On the left I spotted a signpost for a restricted bridleway so I desperately dived in there to take a leak. As I turned in a car went by shortly followed by a chap on an ebike. I hoped that he was not the helpful type thinking that I might need help with the bike. This was definitely a one man job. I got what I hoped was a decent distance from the road and did the deed. The torrent seemed to go on interminably. I was expecting someone to turn up any second, or coachload of nuns from the convent of St Ursula the Easily Offended to drive slowly past the bridleway entrance. Finally the flood abated and I made my escape.

Steady pedalling brought me to the A54. As I was preparing to turn right a cyclist came up on the left and said “Hi” before turning left himself. I carried on right along the A54 which was mostly downhill from here. As on the last occasion when I used this stretch of road, despite the difference in speed between myself and motor traffic, I was given plenty of space by overtakers. Before long I came to a roundabout and turned left off the main drag. Up a short hill, then along Chester road. Traffic was building up. A crunch of gears then an ebiker passed me, mid drive by the look of it. On to Delamere St, across the A54 roundabout while it was clear then on to Swanlow Lane. In no time at all I was at my back gate.

Distance 14.21 miles. Max speed 24.2 mph. Average 8.1 mph.
Ascent 324 ft.

Last edited:

Windle

Über Member
A steady 22 miler from Sunday gone, themes: mud & wind! I set off from Langton with a view to heading down the W2W cycle route then over to Shildon & return the same way, with a bit of exploring as took my fancy. Hulam lane between Langton & Staindrop, it's always like this in the winter.

GOPR0610.JPG
I recall one evening training ride from about fifteen years ago I came round this way in reverse, in the dark and climbing up the hill (behind the photo) through the tree lined bit the road in my light beam went from winter grey to a very gloopy brown, coupled with rapidly reducing traction, I just got over the top before the mud betwixt wheel and mudguard stopped progress. I didn't go that way again! Hummerbeck Lane on the 715 W2W. National Cycle Route you say?
GOPR0611.JPG
The bridge over the Hummerbeck at er, Hummerbeck, looking a bit different to when I was last here in the summer.
GOPR0612.JPG
I rode alongside the Tindale bypass as far as I could for a look at the seemingly never to be finished Fielden Bridge retail park, the new bit of the cycle path is excellent, but despite going all the way to the Shildon bypass to join up with another cycle path, is blocked off at the site entrance. I headed back across the swampy Gaunless floodplain and over the bridge before re-joining 715 W2W.
GOPR0625.JPG
After this it was up the Shildon bypass cycle path until I spotted a path heading off towards the industrial estate which doubled back on itself and through an underpass which I didn't know existed before.
GOPR0630.JPG
This lead across to the historic Brusselton Incline which I had a mooch about before heading back towards Shildon. (I think The Loafer of this forum did a ride up this way a while back).
GOPR0633.JPG
Passing behind the vehicle dismantler / scrapyard concrete wall. This bit of path had a very pungent aroma of spilled, used engine oil, which I suppose to a motor vehicle must be the smell of death!
GOPR0636.JPG
Talking of which, near to the Timothy Hackworth museum..... Yorick, is that you? (Spookily he'd gone by the time I came back)!
GOPR0637.JPG
I got to a busy Locomotion museum for a pie stop. Some old kettle seemed very popular, there was a massive queue the other side for cab visits.
GOPR0639.JPG
I briefly ventured further, crossing the railway via the road bridge and then up to and over the footbridge before, conscious of the time and the suspected headwind on the way back turned round and headed back via much the same route I had come down.
GOPR0654.JPG
The headwind did turn up, and it was raging on any exposed bits of path! Nevertheless an enjoyable run out, 22.4 miles completed with 1,454 feet of climbing.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A blustery Friday afternoon ride that was in glorious focus!

I did 2 jobs this morning then went to Ivybridge to get a new left lens fitted in my glasses as it’s gone a bit wrong!

While waiting I took some pictures of the river Erme with my big camera
_DSC5012.jpeg

Then I went and sorted my mother in law and her gas bottle, then went home….. this is where the faffing nearly went too far, but I was mindful of what I can be like!

Just after 2 I was up, up and away!

Over to Noss and then up the ropey back lanes, then at Revelstoke I dropped onto the coast path for a mile to the tea house. The sun even came out!

Around the lanes to Battisborough, overtaken by a roadie whose saddle was way too low, but maybe that’s why he was quicker than me!

Just before Bull and Bear a car pulled along side me and I asked my wife if I could put my bike in the car.

Off she drove!

11 or so nice miles .
IMG_8126.jpeg

IMG_8128.jpeg

IMG_8131.jpeg

IMG_8133.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/10420269056

IMG_8118.jpeg

IMG_8122.jpeg

IMG_8123.jpeg

IMG_8125.jpeg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that's year 13 all done and dusted of the Imperial Century a Month Cycle Challenge.
100 miles on the dot today. A nice wind assisted for the way down to Ashford for a full English brekkie. A naughty, punishing headwind for the return. Not too cold and even the sun made a brief appearance.

Imperial Century #334
Imperial Century Month #157 in a row.
2024 and year #14 is only 10 days away.

Anyone else want to join in the fun for 2024?. C'mon, sign up for challenge.

23-12-23.jpg

Daybreak over the Weald
20231223_075320.jpg

Marden
20231223_082849.jpg

Hadlow
20231223_080718.jpg

Top Bottom