Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I drove my son home to Cambridge on Wednesday, then stayed with my mate Will out in the fens. After my drive home this morning I was straight out the door on my bike (ordered from on high!)

As soon as I went down to Bridgend a heavy shower came through.

I only did the Battisborough loop but the lanes were noticeably busy with cars.

On the way home I had a little bit more of a shower to contend with.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10456739925

IMG_8279.jpeg

IMG_8280.jpeg

IMG_8281.jpeg

galaxy

Veteran
Good Morning everyone. Hope everyone has a good Xmas and is looking forward to the new year.
Due to various life challenges and general
Lack
Of time , September was my last bike ride. Reading this excellent Firum gave me renewed vigour for cycling. Having a little extra time over Xmas me and the wife managed to get out on the bikes yesterday. Only 8 Miles from Ludlow out to Bromfield and returning same way. But wow. Absolutely loved our ride.

IMG_3866.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Club social ride for new years eve, legs still aching from the rapha challange so i was glad the pace was easy . 45 miles from the meeting point around the flooded lanes of south derbyshire to mercia marina in willington . The forecast was no rain till dinner time but you know what ? yup showers off and on for the whole ride certainly made it a well earned coffe stop.After we got back i only needed another 10 miles for a metric century so i took a little detour to get the miles in .
Clipboard01.jpg

KWW0IGKRuasfy3Qo3E-WRNml3zDg4akFHU2DwC-LRSE-2048x1536.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
I went Round the Forth today and it was out with the old and in with the new before I even started as I needed a new tube!
I took the coastal route to Kincardine (where I was warned of ice; I doubt there was any, it was +3.6deg C, but I decided to make it a recovery ride after that. I crossed over the Clackmannanshire Bridge into the Falkirk council area. I was going to take the track through it but it was right grotty so I went back on to the main road. I stopped in at the Kelpies for a pic and possibly a cafe stop. There was no chance of the latter, the cafe was rammed and I didn’t fancy leaving the bike locked up with a ZipLock whilst I queued. After that I went back on the main road however, when I got passed Grangemouth (now an Ineos plant) I cut up to county lanes through to Linlithgow and from there I took the B9080 through Kingscavil, Threemiletown, Winchburgh to Kirkliston where I turned north to South Queensferry and the Forth Road Bridge. It was totally rammed with folk out for their New Years Day walk so it was literally walking pace
:joy:
Once I got through the crowds it was up through Inverkeithing and into Dunfermline by the back road.

image1920×810 115 KB

image1920×1440 255 KB

image1920×1440 180 KB

image1920×1440 300 KB

image1920×1440 172 KB

image1920×1440 263 KB

image1632×1224 178 KB

image1920×1440 149 KB

image1224×1632 174 KB

image1920×1440 305 KB

image1920×1440 132 KB

image1920×1440 120 KB

image1920×1440 172 KB

image1920×1440 305 KB

image1920×1440 167 KB

image1920×1440 317 KB

image1920×1440 287 KB

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got my New Year’s Day ride done and dusted.
It was later than planned as I had put my saddlebag down somewhere safe. It took ages and ages to find it, not helped by all the packing up to move in a couple of weeks. I finally found it perched on top of a black coloured box, hiding in a corner.
I have a nice little 11 mile loop past Sheringham, left to Upper Sheringham and up the hill to cross the main road and off to West Beckham and Gresham, onwards to Aylmerton and down the hill to West Runton and then home. I rode around the block at the end to make the 11 miles as 10.7 is just rude.
Saddlebag still on bike, where it normally lives when the bike is not being cleaned. I will put it somewhere more obvious next time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
well done everyone who managed to ride today , i wanted to but family plans and the legs being tight and heavy from the rapha 500 meant i decided to have a day off .

cwskas

Über Member
Forgive me CycleChat, it had been 71 days since my last ride!

Last year was the least ridden since I started riding again. It was a great start! By the end of April I had ridden almost everyday and 2469 miles. I closed out the year yesterday with a wonderful ride and a total of 3036 miles. I only rode 89 days!!!

Well back to yesterday!

I have gained 25 pounds since going inactive and my balance has deteriorated significantly. I wasn't even sure I could get up off the trike. So I went into the garage and sat down into the trike, figuring if I couldn't at least I wouldn't be far from help! ^_^ I am being serious, I was nervous. As it turned out, no problem. So I set about getting ready to ride.

I determined to make the last ride of the year with the Waco Bicycle Club which was at noon and about an hour from home by car. It had been so long since I had ridden (and I have been working to make some reasonable organization of my garage) it took me 2 hours to find my gear, get dressed and loaded into the car!!!! I was going to be 30 minutes late and they are a faster group than me. So I decided to go to one of my favorite areas, very pretty and mostly flat.

20231231-Patton-10.jpeg

It was a fantastic day for a ride here, about 60° F and light westerly wind. The first 3 miles were pretty rough with a couple of short 2% grades which made my legs scream. But I was determined to do at least 10 miles. To my satisfaction my body kicked right into gear and I was averaging a very nice speed without any issues. At 10 miles out, I considered turning back the way I had come, but was feeling so energized and satisfied that I decided to press on.

20231231-Patton-1.jpeg

I turned onto a road I had not ridden before and was very pleased with the view. I stopped and got off the trike, had a snack, some water and took a picture of this nice looking, young Texas Longhorn and his friends.

20231231-Patton-4.jpeg

20231231-Patton-3.jpeg

A little bit further along I was pleasantly surprised to have the chance to cross the creek which had been on my right most of the way.

20231231-Patton-5.jpeg

20231231-Patton-6.jpeg

Since I was in unridden territory and had not been watching a map or anything I decided I needed to evaluate. I was about 20+ miles in now and didnt want to get too far from the start/finish. By now I was getting a little tired, but nothing really significant. I pulled over for another rest time off the trike.

20231231-Patton-9.jpeg

20231231-Patton-7.jpeg

After a nice break and deciding on a reasonable return route I continued on for about 31 miles total and an average of 11.1 mph. I was pretty tired but so happy to be on the road again ... and last night I slept 8 hours straight for the first time in months!

20231231-Patton-8.jpeg

20231231-map.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Just managed to beat the rain today. Went out about 10:45, for a ride of 26 miles, including a coffee stop at Café Velo in Llantwit Major.

A couple of places I had to ride through floodwater, in the second case coming almost up to the hubs of my wheels, but it didn't actually rain until it started spiting about half a mile from home. By the time I'd got changed after arriving home, it was tipping down, and continued to rain steadily for the rest of the day.

Fairly chilly, at 6C for most of the ride, but virtually no wind so not a bad morning.

Didn't bother stopping for photos, though I could have got loads for the "water" thread :smile:

a.twiddler

Veteran
1/1/24
New Year’s day Ride

After days of rain and wind I wake up this morning to sunshine. An antidote to the greyness of the post Crimbo limbo, feeling as flaccid and deflated as the woebegone Grinch half heartedly sagging on my neighbour’s porch roof. Looking forward to the first bike ride of 2024.

A few things to get done this morning so by the time I’ve had something to eat some of the gloss of the sunshine has faded, with clouds slowly appearing. Still, it isn’t actually windy or raining, so I wheel out the Linear, check the tyres and make sure the pump and tools are still aboard from last time.

Out through the gate, lean it on the fence while I close the gate, then on to the road.

Once launched, the familiar feeling of flying at low level returns, and mundane thoughts disappear.

Arriving at Darnhall bridge the lights are green, then change just as I reach them. I brake, then they go green again. I don’t lose all my momentum and find I can carry on up the other side in a higher gear than usual. A couple of rather glum looking women pass in the other direction on what I assume are ebikes. They are certainly very upright, one even seems to be leaning backwards slightly.

I carry on, and that little bit of momentum motivates me to make the effort to keep my average speed (according to Garmin) above 10mph. There isn’t much wind compared with what I usually find myself facing when I ride this way, and it seems so easy. Hardly any traffic, either.

I gather myself together and zoom down a dip and up the other side, going more slowly towards Wettenhall village. The sun has gone now and everywhere there is grey cloud. No sign of rain yet.

I turn right towards Calveley. Everywhere the fields are oozing water after the recent days of rain. I carefully navigate between all the mud and puddles in the lane. All this water reminds me of the impending need to take a leak.

Nowhere to stop, field entrances are a mess of squelching mud. I roll on, making good progress. Almost a shame to stop. So I carry on a bit longer. Right at a T junction into Calveley Hall Lane, passing between some large houses. Finally I find a large field entrance and do the necessary.

Soon after I get going again I spot a distant light in my mirror and a roadie making progress comes past. I say “hi”, he says “hi” as he whirrs by. It’s pleasant in this lane and I just freewheel for a while, average speed aspirations forgotten. Soon I come to another T junction with Long Lane and turn right. After a short climb there is a downhill. On the left is a flooded field where the soil has been cut through to let it drain. A constant rippling flow of water accompanies me at the edge of the road as I roll downhill. I pass a man walking a dog. The lack of traffic certainly seems to be bringing people out. It’s reminiscent of lockdown today.

Eventually the road rises again and the water flows away somewhere. I turn left following a signpost for Eaton on to Eaton Road which is mostly a single track lane. This is a quiet lane but today I come across a couple of groups of walkers who wish me a happy New Year. I catch up with a female jogger in a fluorescent pink top. I ting my bell and she wishes me a happy New Year too. I assume they’re all local. What a pleasant bunch they are. Just before I come to the end of the lane I come across a family group with a pushchair. The man says, “Nice bike! That’s pretty cool!” I wave in acknowledgement.

I turn left for Eaton following Hickhurst Lane at the next T junction. Ignoring the turn offs to left and to right I head straight on towards Eaton. Soon I come to the entrance to Dogmore Lane on the right. Should I expect it to be full of dog walkers? I see neither hide nor hair of hound. This takes me to Rushton where I hear a loud grating sound as if someone is grinding a piece of metal. It turns out to be a large raucous bird sitting on a gate by a house. It looks too big for a guinea fowl and has a long neck which it stretches out while making this din. Fortunately I soon leave the discordant bird behind and am in Rushton Lane with a long downhill past the wall to Oulton Park, then uphill again.

Right into Beech Road through the woods, past the entrance to Oulton Park then left to Park Road. Down a long dip and up the other side then following some undulations I freewheel then start to pedal and the transmission jams. I coast to a halt and see that the chain has overshifted past the small cog, wedging itself against the frame. I lay the bike down and am in the process of winkling it back on when a cyclist stops to ask if I need any help. He obligingly lifts the back end while I finish the job. I thank him then we go our separate ways. I will fine tune the derailleur stop screws when I get home.

I come to a junction with the A54 and turn right as it’s mostly downhill in the direction of home from here. This part of the usually busy A54 is Chester Lane. When does a lane become a road? It doesn’t seem to be related to traffic volume or width.

Not much traffic today, all giving me a wide berth. I reach a roundabout and turn off up a short climb into Chester Road, then Delamere St. I come across the A54 again which I cross at a large roundabout. Onwards down Swanlow Lane, through the familiar traffic lights at Townfields Road and carry on in the direction of Nantwich as I want to stretch out the ride for first 20 then 21 miles. I turn off and find myself at my back gate via a circuituous route. As I put the bike away the first drizzly drops of rain start, later becoming a steady and dismal precipitation which is still falling as I type this up the next day.

Lucky to get out when I did for a New Year’s day ride.

Distance 21.09 miles. Max 23.9. Average 8.5 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 487 ft. According to Bikehike.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was going to work today, but the beauty of being self employed is that you can declare that you’re rained off! Also, my van needed a service so I rang the garage in Ivybridge- 2pm today. The forecast was better* for the afternoon….. so my bike went in the van.

From the garage I rode along the river path. The river Erme was stonking!

Then it’s up a boring sloped road towards Bittaford before climbing up to the moor gate at the start of the Puffing Billy. 23% toward the top, how nice.

Then it was head first into a fierce wind. The sea at Mothecombe is a good 6 miles away and I could see the waves!

There were points where my front wheel was blown sideways, and the track was a flowing river in parts.

A couple of showers came through, but I was in places I could get out of it, hiding under banks.

Only a couple of miles and then a drop down to Harford moor gate. Hut circles and a handful of sheep.

I then had to cross Butter Brook. My bike went first across the 4’ ravine…

The front wheel hit the springy turf and the bike rebounded straight into the water!

The force of it swept the bike along… I had visions of a comedic calamity unfolding, but it snagged on a rock above a 2’ drop. The bike was submerged bar a bit of tyre and wheel rim within easy reach, mercifully.

I dragged it out, Garmin still attached!.

I then chucked it across again, this time it stayed on terra firma.

Then I had to leap like a gazelle over the raging torrent. I was also filming it to send to Lisa, I was laughing my head off! Luckily I don’t know how to post it here….

Then as I was riding to the moor gate along a flat, stoned semi track my bike squirmed and slithered and I was like a baby giraffe! Luckily I unclipped on my right foot, but it was definitely an off. Only the sheep saw my slow speed mishap.

Down the lane back to Ivybridge after a quick visit to Harford church. Thankfully uneventful!

A top 10 miles!

https://www.strava.com/activities/10480236211

IMG_8357.jpeg

IMG_8360.jpeg

IMG_8367.jpeg

IMG_8369.jpeg

IMG_8373.jpeg

IMG_8374.jpeg

IMG_8378.jpeg

IMG_8380.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg

IMG_8385.jpeg

Last edited:
Well that was a bit driech. The rain was off and on for the first 45miles but not heavy or long. For the last 25miles it just got heavier and heavier. The Garmin screen decided to rotate to a near useless screen and refused to swipe back such was the saturation.

I went out again along the West Fife coast (Through Cairneyhill, Low Valleyfield, Toryburn and Culross to Kincardine), before cutting in land a bit to Clackmannan, Alloa, Tullibody, Stirling and Bridge of Allan and the rural area behind it. I was going to explore more but annoyingly I p’tured there and thought I wouldn’t have time to, that resulted in me having to dash through the M9/A9 roundabout. I came back through Bridge of Allan and circled the Wallace Monument and came back along the Hillfoots (through Menstrie, Alva, Tillicoultry and Dollar). Somewhere around there the heavens opened. I then cut down to Crook of Devon and Cleish. Where I briefly thought about going over it but decided instead to go round by Kelty, Cowdenbeath and Crossgates back to Dunfermline.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Up bright and early this morning and off to Braithwaite for a short circular ride before the family stir ... Love this quiet time of day ....
12 "burnout" patches on the route posted. footpads and ner'do'wells from Doncaster steal cars, drive to this area and set fire to them .... leaving burnt patches on the tarmac .... the locals, and the car owners must be very riled by now.
Cold but not flooded ... well the roads aren't but the fields and gullies are well up to the top. This area has extensive drainage and flood diversion earth works in place .... it used to be the sea .....

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.58.27.png

International Man Of Mystery ... Sykehouses early doors to-day .... I've been told i need to learn how to do selfies ... !!!
20240105_092624.jpeg

This block of marble with the inscription shown is new at the garden opposite the church in Sykehouses .. on another face it has an inscription to mark the coronation of the King … so that leaves 3 more faces ………..

20240105_093235.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom