Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Continued...

Got some photos of friends at the park, all suffering a terrible day in the heat.

JICSc67l.jpg

SjpUTkal.jpg

It was touch and go on the target time, so I left and really tried to put the hammer down, down through Headley to Leatherhead, through to Esher and then Kingston and Raynes Park all done in 32 minutes. There @themosquitoking was waiting to jump in for a few select miles and give me some much needed encouragement up Wimbledon Hill.

My legs were shot at this stage, but I kept spinning and we rode down the fun section through to Putney where he veered off to civvy traffic while I gritted and rode with a few fellow Cannondale riders.

As we approached Parliament Square I went for a last gasp sprint, enjoying the noise around me of barriers being beaten, and cheers from various charity volunteers, rounded the last corner under the arch where my wife just about managed to catch me on a photo at the back, although the grinning chap in the foreground seemed quite happy to be finishing too!

uQRpGHrl.jpg

And done!

tY0Evnel.jpg

FrrXXTKl.jpg

xrXPxsGl.jpg

1wXxUTwl.jpg

A long wait for the medal and to get bags back, but chuffed it's a different colour to 2013, and same high quality medal. Very relieved to have finished.

Then some treats.

ZdV2xqPl.jpg

dL1Ne3Ul.jpg

The wife seemed very happy with her medal...

bimzH2il.jpg

Then it was a matter of riding the 1 mile to drop the bike of with the trucks, head back to QEOP and pick it back up to take back to hotel.

STILL cant believe this is West Ham's ground...

xrydidsl.jpg

Then a meal and quite a lot of 2for1 cocktails! Salute.

Rv75r2ol.jpg

My cycling time was 5hrs 42mins, my official time came in at 6hrs 12mins. So I still have that 6hr official time to beat, but 190 Strava achievements and a sub 6 hour moving time still left me happy with the effort.

h4gFB9Wl.jpg

My Garmin only recorded 99.6 miles. Which was annoying!

https://www.strava.com/activities/359939786

Norry1

Legendary Member
Mt Garmin said 99.7 as did many others - strange!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think this ride meant a great deal to people. [...] We stopped at “catering village” and sat under a tree in the shade had a portion of hot fish & chips, very nice it was too.
Yup - it meant quite a lot to me. In the photos we had taken at the end I'm grinning like a loon, and I rarely show emotion. You can look it up by following the clues if you really want to...

I presume that you were the couple sitting in amongst the crew from Ilkley cycling club? If I'd known I would have said hello.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yup - it meant quite a lot to me. In the photos we had taken at the end I'm grinning like a loon, and I rarely show emotion. You can look it up by following the clues if you really want to...

I presume that you were the couple sitting in amongst the crew from Ilkley cycling club? If I'd known I would have said hello.

I didn't notice the cycling club, just you taking the photo of the medal.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
img_20150801_124016-jpg.98612.jpg

That appears to be Red Brand Fencing, from Keystone Steel and Wire, galvanized. My father could tell you the gauge of that wire and all about its manufacture. Thank you for saving the Ram, by the way.
I couldn't just leave it there and I would not know how to extricate it on my own...
BTW, If you want, I'll take a close up photo of the fence (minus ram, hopefully!) so you can identify it.:smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I couldn't just leave it there and I would not know how to extricate it on my own...
BTW, If you want, I'll take a close up photo of the fence (minus ram, hopefully!) so you can identify it.:smile:
I don't know if I could, anymore. My father passed in 1997, but he drew the wire for the fence and galvanized it. http://www.redbrand.com/Products/SheepGoatFence/SquareDealKnot.aspx
Phillip Jose Farmer, the science fiction author of Riverworld and The Dark Design, also worked for a while at Keystone, among a lot of other interesting people. Caterpillar Tractors are also made in the area. We also had a local area steakhouse, now razed to make more student apartments, which had a very large display of the many many barbed wire types, as well as many patent models from their extensive collection.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
As with last week, the reasons for posting yesterday's ride today is the same. :smile:

Did a 60 mile pub crawl with a good friend: Ipswich - Orford - Aldeburgh - Woodbridge - Ipswich. (Once again, twelve hours in total - 4.25 hours cycling). Had some fantastic beer and food and had a darmed fine time eating up the miles. (One moton screamed 'single file!' at us as she whizzed by going the other way, but everyone else seemed at ease with the world.)

This at Orford.

Ride with Dan - Day 2 001.JPG

And what do you know? We had some gin again ...

Ride with Dan - Day 2 002.JPG

Biscuit

Legendary Member
After a bit of time fitting new mudguards and a few other choice items, the Galaxy ebay purchase is finally sorted.
Nice quiet ride into work. No rattles, tings, or rubbing noises. Just silence. Gotta love the old skool gear levers.

This will be the only bike I have with mudguards, so this afternoons inclement weather will be in interesting test.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
First of all, I need to get a couple of bits out of the way or I'll forget to type them down.
1st. Did anyone know that that railway bridge at Wymondham is closed and that there is a bloody great diversion. Plus the bloke there is a snotty sort who says that cyclists are NOT pedestrians if they are pushing their bike.
2nd. I got a QOM on Strava today for the first time ever. Not bad for a fat old bird. I didn't know it was a strava segment or I might have made more of an effort. I'll go and do it again in a day or so, with warm legs and make a bit more of an effort at it :okay:
3rd. 14.3mph average for 30 miles! Result!

Today's Strava map is here

I went off to Slimming World, all 0.65 miles from home. Downhill. Weighed in 8 whole ounces lost in 2 weeks. Heigh ho. I am smaller though. The tape measure says so so I reckon that I'm losing squidge and gaining muscle with the extra exercise in the gym and longer bike rides.

From Slimming World I rode back up the hill, the gentle way via Rockingham Road and got my first ever QOM :dance::girldance::wahhey: and headed off to Bowthorpe and Bawburgh and then, as I was crossing the B1108 Watton Road, there was a nice chap on a roadie (very sexy looking Matt Black Canyon with Di2s - not sure what he looked like). I told him about CC and said that the only thing he needed to join was to have ridden a bike at some point but we were very strict on needing to drink tea, have a love of cake and to be able to provide photos of bikes. He thinks we sound a fine bunch :laugh:

I went straight on at Wymondham while he headed off to Hingham. I got over the lights and discovered that I couldn't go under the bridge at Wymondham Sation so took the diversion. It was made clear that I was not a pedestrian so couldn't push my bike along the path to Silfield Road. More than his job's worth to let me. What a numpty. I did consider going over the pedestrian railway bridge at the station but I had road cleats on my shoes and I had forgotten my 'hats' so they would be slippery. I followed the diversion and then the signs vanished. Good job that I know the area.
I followed the road to the river (Tiffey in case you were wondering) then to the roundabout and then headed left to Spooner Row and up that long old drag of a road, muttering a bit about bloody workmen and that I was knackered.
Finally at Spooner Row and a quick left to Wattlefield and left again and eventually out on the Silfield Road, which is where I wanted to be in the first place. I stopped for a moment and send Hubster a text saying 'go home, I'm still in Silfield and will be ages' and then carried on. I rode through Wreningham and turned for Hethel to find more 'road closed' signs.
Feeling that I was just having a joyous time of life (I was not heading down the busy road and the long way for anyone at this point) I then spotted another cyclist (Cannondale Synapse in a matt grey ish colour) chatting with the workmen who said that bikes could go down. Good oh. Off we went. This chap was probably 20 years younger than me and half a stone lighter (as well as being 4" taller). Looked like a skinny club cyclist to me, I had to work a bit to keep up. Probably did me a world of good. We chatted through Hethel, along the bike path and then on towards East Carleton, where he turned left to head back to Melton and I went right into East Carleton and on to Intwood.

Couple of hills there proved problematic, I was getting very tired and muttering darkly about my next door neighbour, who I went to the gym with last night. Planks! Stupid things. The fact that I can plank for longer than her and for a lot longer than I used to be able to is not the point. I ache today. Finally the hill to Cringleford arrived and then I found myself waiting for an age at the bridge while the most polite Merc driver on the planet, let every single car through for hours and hours and hours. Maybe not hours but nearly all of Sweet Home Alabama. I was about to yell "what are you waiting for, a written invite" when he decided that nothing had been in sight for 15 seconds and found first gear.

Bluebell Lane was hard work but I got along it, with a couple of PBs, which surprised me. I had to go past my home twice as I wasn't stopping at 29.78 for anyone.
30 dead with a 14.3mph average. 30.65 for the day. Out riding for 2:09:01 in its entirety including the spin down to Slimming World. Happy with that as I won't get a ride in tomorrow unless a miracle happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom