Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/360441831

84 odd miles back from London.

image.jpg

BrynCP

Über Member
Had a day off work today so decided to try do about 70 miles to catch up on last year's mileage which I have slipped behind. I picked another seaside location, Cleethorpes; I have picked a number of these being near the coast and remember as a child they always used to feel so far away when going in car.

Headed over the Humber Bridge and onto the quiet roads of North Lincolnshire and Lincolnshire. Unfortunately, due to a lack of attention on my part when creating the route, I ended up on the A18 dual carriageway for about 4 miles. It wasn't that bad, but I was considering turning around until I saw another cyclist go in that direction (and according to Strava 330 others have too).

Sat on the the promenade at Cleethorpes for a short while then turned around, but went back home via the back roads to the west of Grimsby and up through Immingham and Barrow.

Did 69 miles in total at an average of 15.3mph. I was impressed with the cycling infrastructure around this area: the cycle lanes were wide and continous and lots of routes marked up.

upload_2015-8-3_19-52-12.png

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just a short after work ride on the Hybrid for me tonight and I thought I'd try a bit of variety....

Up Wood Lane to Scholes, but then left and along to Rakehill Road, the green lane that heads up to Barwick-in-Elmet. Passed a group of 3 lads on MTBs in jeans and t-shirts, just before the no vehicles sign and started a quick descent down the rocky road. Blimey, it doesn't get any smoother and it could shake the fillings from your teeth.
Now, parts of Rakehill Road area bit of a sponge and turn to mud very easily, but I thought I'd be alright today.
I was wrong. :thumbsdown:
Since my last foray this way the section where it first crosses Rake Beck had become a tyre sucking morass and I ground to a halt and very nearly fell off.
Just as the lads on MTBs passed, having seen the pigs ear I'd made of trying to power through they tucked right in to the side and got through unscathed with a few cheery words of encouragement. :laugh:
Back on track and gaining a bit of speed I started to catch them, but where the surface returns to tarmac the front tyre started shedding the not inconsiderable amount of mud it had picked up and flicked a good chunk right in my eye. Given that I wear specs it was quite impressive how the mud got round them and got me...:B)
Another stop to sort that out and then a brief blast on the flat before the steep slog up The Boyle into Barwick itself.
A quick left / right around the Maypole, then a pause while a bloke in a Focus decided if he was coming or going, then up through the village on Main St and a turn onto Long Lane at the New Inn.
Got the hammer down here, before the climb up past the farm, then the quick descent down past Garforth Golf Club and a right onto Ellis Lane and the bridleway across the golf course to Barnbow Lane.
Up to Manston Lane and into a headwind down to the old tank factory before climbing up and through Pendas Fields and on to home.

You might remember how I cleaned and lubed the bike after yesterdays ride. You can guess what needs doing again now, can't you..?:scratch:

Anyhow, 8.77 miles in just under 45 minutes at an average speed of 11.8 mph and a new PB on the Long Lane Mile, so not a bad effort and it put a smile on my face which isn't bad for a Monday.

Simontm

Veteran
20 Image limit, so will post different parts...

So the bike arrived and was a Specialized Diverge A1, chosen as I had seen the roads on Streetview, and a pure roadbike would have fallen to bits quite frankly!

First time with disc brakes and 30c tyres. And reflectors. Many, many reflectors.

BrborEIl.jpg

S.
How did you find the Diverge? Had one since November and it has served me really well (degraded wheels aside)

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I was going to put that I did my longest ride of the year so far but suddenly remembered the 97k, rain and mudfest first leg through Brittany we did on the Velodyssey and various other longer days. So it was about the third longest ride this year so far, but the longest in the UK.

No pictures this time, the weather really wasn't that fantastic, dry but threatening all the time. Mrs D was convinced that I was going to get drenched out there at some stage when I started off but I managed to keep either ahead or behind the rainy bits. The 20kph wind was in my face as I headed through the villages out towards the coast at Budleigh and Exmouth but as I came up the Exe estuary it was helping me along nicely. It wasn't a beach day so I cut through the seaside towns directly rather than tootle along the fronts. The sun did break through once as I was heading up the estuary path so I sat outside the Lympstone Commando camp on a bench overlooking the river mouth for a biscuit and a break (Mrs D didn't do any fresh baking this weekend!) while, behind me in the training camp, young Marine recruits were getting barked at on the assault course.

Although there were no 'major' climbs of any length my route provided plenty of accumulative pain through constant sharp rises and falls, by the time I finished my thighs were sore and I had a cramp in the last few km's. 75k, 920 metres.
trip-5947740-map-full.png
elevation_profile 3-8.jpg

ScotiaLass

Guru
Out today with the intention of exploring some back roads in Fife but the farm road to the bridge was being resurfaced.

Farm road
View attachment 98775
After a stretch on some unfamiliar roads I ended up doing the route I did last time out. Missed a junction to get into Stenhousemuir and had to backtrack, dunno how I missed it as there's a big castle at the crossroads.

Castle.
View attachment 98776

Nice day out, I will ignore the episode with the dummy that practically stopped his bike in the middle of the road nearly causing a smash (couldn't work his gears).

https://www.strava.com/activities/360334434
I hate that incline by the castle -mind you, I was on the MTB the last time I tried it lol

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Apologies for the tardiness of the report, I've been busy.

Sunday’s Ride London-Surrey 100.

After Friday’s 67 mile bike ride from home to Stratford, we had Saturday off the bike and got DLR to Excel to pick up our rider packs for the RLS100 ride. Then had a mooch about the expo which was rubbish, then we went to Green Park to check out the Freecycle festival, which was nice, thousands of people there on bicycles of all shapes and sizes.

The big day on Sunday I had quite a late start compared to 2013/14 and had a 1 mile ride to the start chute from my hotel, and then the inevitable slow moving queue to the start line, which took about 40 minutes and then we were off to the song of the Laughing Policeman.

1-IMG_2116.JPG

A long way to go yet.

The first 25 miles through London seemed flash by, through the City of London, down The Strand, through Charing Cross, Knightsbridge, Earls Court, Hammersmith, (I stopped off just before the Hammersmith Flyover for a comfort break at a petrol station), then on to Chiswick, on the bridge I saw my first crash victim, then just after that the second crash as we turned left towards the Upper Richmond Road that looked nasty too, on to very windy Richmond Park with quite a few spectators here, Kingston where all the charity volunteers are cheering and whooping over Kingston bridge to Hampton Court.

One of the dull bits of the ride is from Hampton Court to Walton on Thames, but there were lots of folks cheering us on and as we approached Walton it became more interesting and fun, then down Oatlands Drive I saw a third crash and the ride was stopped for a short while.

2-IMG_2118.JPG

The dull bit just before Walton on Thames.

Through Weybridge there was a small festival with bands outside the Ship Hotel and local radio and folks were outside the cafes enjoying the sunshine, at Brooklands a cycled alongside a chap riding a lovely old Claude Butler road bike, he told me he had owned for over 40 years, and recently had it restored, it looked FAB. Onwards to Byfleet, Pyrford, Ripley, where I stopped outside a community hall and bought a cup of tea and a bacon bap, and watched the cyclists go by, I saw the two blokes in bright yellow one piece suits on a tandem, a bloke on a Cargo bike with a small music system on it playing some music, and couple of Brompton’s, and a Boris bike.

Bacon bap and tea consumed and back on the bike onward to West Horsley and East Clandon (a very dull bit of road here), then up the first proper hill of the ride to Newlands Corner. There were quite a few people walking up this, frankly it’s not that hard a hill and it’s over before you know it, no stopping for me at the hub, there’s a great downhill on a wide bit of A25 and we are fast approaching the half way mark, once passed we are on our way to Abinger Hammer and a sharp right to the rolling road Holmbury St Mary and Forest Green then the left turn to Leith Hill.

Just as we all turned left for the approach to the hill we came to an almost abrupt stop, dismounted our bikes and a 40- 50 minute wait for what we thought was a crash but turned out to be the unfortunate events that have been reported elsewhere. Someone eventually came down and told us that the police were letting us go through in waves, and we (a few thousand of us) started to walk up the hill then after a few hundred yards the sound of feet clipping to into pedals, and those that had the legs cycled up the rest of the hill (loads just walked up) and down to Abinger Common, Wotton, Westcott and to Dorking.

3-IMG_2119.JPG

Looking towards the bottom of Leith Hill.

4-IMG_2121.JPG

Starting to move now, looking towards the top of Leith Hill.

What the fuggery buck the organisers thought they were doing in Dorking I do not know, they narrowed the road by about a third all along the High Street with barriers, thus causing congestion. Twats, it was perfect fine last year and the year before without the barriers.

After Dorking along the A24 to Box Hill (should be called Box Slope really), I saw one chap on the first bend fall off and he went down the grass slope, he was fine but it did make me laugh. At the top the beautiful views whizzed by as I carried on and my eventual first stop at a hub in Leatherhead where I bought cake and a cup of tea and filled my water bottles from the WI hall next to the official hub. From Leatherhead (where we stalled again by another serious looking crash under the railway bridge) is the mind numbingly dull route through Oxshott to Esher, where it livens up again towards Kingston. Along the Portsmouth road between the Dittons, where last year we had to ride through a foot deep lake under the bridge, we ride past The Angel pub, which used to be a famous meeting place for cyclists about two thousand years ago.
The Angel 1.jpg

The Angel of Yesteryear.
The Angel 2.jpg

The Angel on Sunday.

Riding through Kingston High Street/Market Square was great fun and thousands of people to cheer us on and all the way to Raynes Park and Wimbledon there well-wishers and volunteers to whoop and cheer. Then another stop for some reason for about 5 minutes before we could get up Wimbledon Hill, a hill I dread, but for some reason it didn't seem that bad this year, maybe I'm fitter than I think.

My favourite part of whole the ride is from Tibbets Corner (A3 Jct) down the hill through Putney and over Putney Bridge, it’s really fast and fun and you know you have less than ten miles to go, it was FAB, unfortunately though after the right turn onto the New Kings Road in Fulham and all the way along the Chelsea Embankment to Westminster there was a headwind (and my Garmin battery went flat), a wind tunnel that made the last few miles a bit of a slog. Once past the Palace of Westminster though and a long birdcage walk the wind was forgotten and all you can here are the cheers and the banging and the music then your over the line, to collect a medal, and goody bag and a feeling of emotional relief. I saw quite a few grown men in tears on the way to the medal collection, I think this ride meant a great deal to people. I caught up with the fragrant Mrs P, who though started after me, finished an hour ahead, but she didn’t get stopped at Leith Hill, she had to by-pass it. We stopped at “catering village” and sat under a tree in the shade had a portion of hot fish & chips, very nice it was too.

Then we had the ride back to the hotel another 8.21 miles from Green Park to Stratford, a shower and out for a steak meal and beer, very nice it was too.

Another great day out, on the ride I consumed a whole bag of Jelly Babies, four small sausage rolls, a bacon bap, cake, and two cups of tea and four bottles water. A mostly very well run event and I will be doing it again next year.

About 110 miles in all, my first 100 miler of the year, not bad really.
Untitled.jpg

1-IMG_2132.JPG

Apologies for the long post, I didn't set out to write so much, it just happened.

Last edited:
Couple of rides to report;

First off Saturdays club ride was pretty good with a nice sized group and a brisk pace plus a nice espresso at the river tea rooms in St Ives;

https://www.strava.com/activities/358603959

Yesterdays commute was pretty mundane but today I decided to leave a bit earlier and do a longer run in on the Helium;well not a good start as I went to go off and the chain dropped off so time lost freeing the chain up and putting it back on the ring and back indoors to clean my hands up.

Finally set off and felt a bit dead in the legs but managed to get some sort of pace up;made it ok to Willingham and then the busway until Westwick and then off over the A14 via Dry Drayton and then heading to Madingly and then on the way to Coton the chain dropped again as I changed down on the rings.Had to stop and took a while to free the chain and then clean my hands on some grass before heading off again stuck in the bottom chainring.

Meant to go via Trumpington but the road was still closed so headed back in to Cambridge via Barton Rd and through the city to work.

Got the mech working again but think it needs a proper fettle;still another 50k on to the years total;

https://www.strava.com/activities/360826998/

jnrmczip

So I'm getting ever closer to doing the 100 mile mark. To be honest I felt good enough to continue but had other things on so had to stop when I did. Feel amazing g for it though and the scenery was brilliant Glasgow to Troon 82 miles and the best fish and chips I have ever had
Screenshot_2015-08-03-20-34-58.png

Apologies for the tardiness of the report, I've been busy.

Sunday’s Ride London-Surrey 100.

After Friday’s 67 mile from home to Stratford, we had Saturday off the bike and got DLR to Excel to pick up our rider packs for the RLS100 ride. Then had a mooch about the expo which was rubbish, then we went to Green Park to check out the Freecycle festival, which was nice, thousands of people there on bicycles of all shapes and sizes.

The big day on Sunday I had quite a late start compared to 2013/14 and had a 1 mile ride to the start chute from my hotel, and then the inevitable slow moving queue to the start line, which took about 40 minutes and then we were off to the song of the Laughing Policeman.

View attachment 98879
A long way to go yet.

The first 25 miles through London seemed flash by, through the City of London, down The Strand, through Charing Cross, Knightsbridge, Earls Court, Hammersmith, (I stopped off just before the Hammersmith Flyover for a comfort break at a petrol station), then on to Chiswick, on the bridge I saw my first crash victim, then just after that the second crash as we turned left towards the Upper Richmond Road that looked nasty too, on to very windy Richmond Park with quite a few spectators here, Kingston where all the charity volunteers are cheering and whooping over Kingston bridge to Hampton Court.

One of the dull bits of the ride is from Hampton Court to Walton on Thames, but there were lots of folks cheering us on and as we approached Walton it became more interesting and fun, then down Oatlands Drive I saw a third crash and the ride was stopped for a short while.

View attachment 98880
The dull bit just before Walton on Thames.

Through Weybridge there was a small festival with bands outside the Ship Hotel and local radio and folks were outside the cafes enjoying the sunshine, at Brooklands a cycled alongside a chap riding a lovely old Claude Butler road bike, he told me he had owned for over 40 years, and recently had it restored, it looked FAB. Onwards to Byfleet, Pyrford, Ripley, where I stopped outside a community hall and bought a cup of tea and a bacon bap, and watched the cyclists go by, I saw the two blokes in bright yellow one piece suits on a tandem, a bloke on a Cargo bike with a small music system on it playing some music, and couple of Brompton’s, and a Boris bike.

Bacon bap and tea consumed and back on the bike onward to West Horsley and East Clandon (a very dull bit of road here), then up the first proper hill of the ride to Newlands Corner. There were quite a few people walking up this, frankly it’s not that hard a hill and it’s over before you know it, no stopping for me at the hub, there’s a great downhill on a wide bit of A25 and we are fast approaching the half way mark, once passed we are on our way to Abinger Hammer and a sharp right to the rolling road Holmbury St Mary and Forest Green then the left turn to Leith Hill.

Just as we all turned left for the approach to the hill we came to an almost abrupt stop, dismounted our bikes and a 40- 50 minute wait for what we thought was a crash but turned out to be the unfortunate events that have been reported elsewhere. Someone eventually came down and told us that the police were letting us go through in waves, and we (a few thousand of us) started to walk up the hill then after a few hundred yards the sound of feet clipping to into pedals, and those that had the legs cycled up the rest of the hill (loads just walked up) and down to Abinger Common, Wotton, Westcott and to Dorking.

View attachment 98881
Looking towards the bottom of Leith Hill.

View attachment 98882
Starting to move now, looking towards the top of Leith Hill.

What the fuggery buck the organisers thought they were doing in Dorking I do not know, they narrowed the road by about a third all along the High Street with barriers, thus causing congestion. Twats, it was perfect fine last year and the year before without the barriers.

After Dorking along the A24 to Box Hill (should be called Box Slope really), I saw one chap on the first bend fall off and he went down the grass slope, he was fine but it did make me laugh. At the top the beautiful views whizzed by as I carried on and my eventual first stop at a hub in Leatherhead where I bought cake and a cup of tea and filled my water bottles from the WI hall next to the official hub. From Leatherhead (where we stalled again by another serious looking crash under the railway bridge) is the mind numbingly dull route through Oxshott to Esher, where it livens up again towards Kingston. Along the Portsmouth road between the Dittons, where last year we had to ride through a foot deep lake under the bridge, we ride past The Angel pub, which used to be a famous meeting place for cyclists about two thousand years ago.
View attachment 98883

The Angel of Yesteryear.
View attachment 98884
The Angel on Sunday.

Riding through Kingston High Street/Market Square was great fun and thousands of people to cheer us on and all the way to Raynes Park and Wimbledon there well-wishers and volunteers to whoop and cheer. Then another stop for some reason for about 5 minutes before we could get up Wimbledon Hill, a hill I dread, but for some reason it didn't seem that bad this year, maybe I'm fitter than I think.

My favourite part of whole the ride is from Tibbets Corner (A3 Jct) down the hill through Putney and over Putney Bridge, it’s really fast and fun and you know you have less than ten miles to go, it was FAB, unfortunately though after the right turn onto the New Kings Road in Fulham and all the way along the Chelsea Embankment to Westminster there was a headwind (and my Garmin battery went flat), a wind tunnel that made the last few miles a bit of a slog. Once past the Palace of Westminster though and a long birdcage walk the wind was forgotten and all you can here are the cheers and the banging and the music then your over the line, to collect a medal, and goody bag and a feeling of emotional relief. I saw quite a few grown men in tears on the way to the medal collection, I think this ride meant a great deal to people. I caught up with the fragrant Mrs P, who though started after me, finished an hour ahead, but she didn’t get stopped at Leith Hill, she had to by-pass it. We stopped at “catering village” and sat under a tree in the shade had a portion of hot fish & chips, very nice it was too.

Then we had the ride back to the hotel another 8.21 miles from Green Park to Stratford, a shower and out for a steak meal and beer, very nice it was too.

Another great day out, on the ride I consumed a whole bag of Jelly Babies, four small sausage rolls, a bacon bap, cake, and two cups of tea and four bottles water. A mostly very well run event and I will be doing it again next year.

About 110 miles in all, my first 100 miler of the year, not bad really.
View attachment 98885

View attachment 98886

Apologies for the long post, I didn't set out to write so much, it just happened.

Interesting read. Congrats on the ride.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yesterdays Ride.

Stratford City to Home.

As soon as we left the foyer of the hotel Mrs P had a puncture, so we feck'd about sorting that out.

Then we set off via Mrs P's office in Bank to drop of our luggage for collection another day, where I saw a sandwich delivery bike and trailer, the trailer probably cost more than the bike. Then a quick stop at the Viaduct Tavern where the land lady kindly let me use the facilities then along some of the route we did on Sunday, a quick stop at Evans bike shop, High Holborn to check the tyre pressures on Mrs P's bike on through the West End along Oxford Street, and more or less following the A4 A4020 / A4 to Reading visiting Notting Hill, Acton, where I use to go to school, Ealing for a quick coffee and cake, a stop off at a Maccy D in Southall to use the loo again, then a short hop onto the Grand Union canal for some reason (Garmin directions) , Hayes, Slough, stopped off for lunch at a Frankie & Benny's in Taplow, Maidenhead, then along the awful road A4 to Reading via the Kennet & Avon canal for a short detour, a posh ice cream from the vendor there. By which time because of Sundays ride and the strenuous relentless feckin' head wind all the way so far I had had enough and was all for getting the train back the rest of the way. There was little point in doing that with only 14 miles to go so we Man'd up and got on our way again, after putting my chain back on, and into the headwind through Purley on Thames, Pangbourne and Streatley, by which time the sun was out, we were hot and out of water. With only six miles left I popped in The Bear, Streatley and the nice lady there filled up our water bottles with fresh water and ice, and that got us back up the few little hills that you can see on the profile below.

I did not enjoy this ride one little bit, the route was noisy, busy, and boring but worst of all the thing I hate the most is riding in the wind, especially the kind that does not let up which ever way you turn. I was very pleased to be back home.

65 point something miles, a little shorter than the outward journey on Friday.

Untitled.jpg

The long and windy road, that lead me to my door...eventually.

1-IMG_2123.JPG

They should get the guy a decent bike to go with the trailer.

2-IMG_2125.JPG

This "Observation Wheel" at Marble arch. WTF!

3-IMG_2127.JPG

This was probably a nice pub back in the day, its got a quite posh loo.

4-IMG_2128.JPG

The Krypton factor gate along the Grand Union canal
5-IMG_2130.JPG

Funny what you see in Southall.
6-IMG_2131.JPG

The track was not really suitable for a road bike.

Simontm

Veteran
So Sunday was a blast and I loved the sheer mundanity of Strava labelling it: "Morning Ride with 93 other participants" ^_^ I wrote about this elsewhere but here it is again:

The day started with an amazing scene. The stewards allowed us to cut through the route to join the Bow Road and there it was like a scene from Quadrophenia or Dave Gibbon's Originals when rivers of cyclists starts merging onto the road coming from all directions- certainly turned a few heads. A cabbie was non-too plussed when I told him this basically went on all day ^_^
image.jpg
Had some friendly chat with some folks waiting for the start and then we were off.

So much for a measured start, sometimes hitting 28mph through to Chiswick. Couldn't see much difference to an ordinary weekend in Richmond Park and said so to some hilarity from obvious locals ^_^

Newlands was surprisingly good - indeed a PB according to Strava.

Then the walk past that poor man on Leith Hill before saddling up again - thoughts to the rider's family :sad:

Was fairly sedate (for me) down to Westcott only hitting 45mph on a fairly empty road then into Dorking with the nice fillip from the MS Society crew stationed there.

Box Hill the usual spin and got asked by a few riders what the hill was like. At the top had an ice lolly at the water station. Thank you to the lady who shouted that they had shut the right hand lane on that sharp left at Headley. Remembered to change down for that sharp rise as well.

Apparently my dad did see me at the Scilly Isles... Or someone else. Anyway whoever it was got a big roar of encouragement :laugh:

Cramp hit at Norbiton so had to nurse my way through Coombe Road till it stopped. No beer at the Alex, gonna have me some words with me mates and the staff :angry:;) and the hill was fine. Good run through to the embankment, nice positioning of the MS Society to keep me going, bit emotional when I realised that just over a year ago I had started cycling again but another cramp attack sorted that one out :laugh:

Over the line, another cramp, pick up medal and meet the family.
image.jpg

Overall, amazing organisation and well behaved from most, very friendly cyclists.

83 PBs apparently, 6:01:38 according to Strava. 6:24:15 official. Considering I thought 7:30 was fairly good estimate for me, am very pleased.

Had yesterday off and did a 20 mile recovery ride today - Kingston/Richmond/Kew/Hampton/Bushy Park/ Hampton Court/ Home and legs feel pretty good. ^_^

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
How did you find the Diverge? Had one since November and it has served me really well (degraded wheels aside)

I really liked it actually, I was riding on roads that became gravel tracks and it seemed to take everything in its stride, although the back end was a little adventurous at times. That said, my road bike would have just gone NAH! down most of those roads. The SORA groupset seemed perfectly adequate. If I'm being truthful I'd say I noticed not a jot of difference in smoothness of shifting to my 105 groupset, I guess the only advantage is weight?

I understand now why people buy CX bikes, it definitely opens up new routes that are normally no go routes for road bikes.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Registered on Saturday afternoon for the Sunday event, found out Wiggle had only brought enough official jerseys for the number of participants, and had apparently sold out on Friday...

gA2HZbhl.jpg

Ended up buying a Gran Fondo New York jersey a) to quell my need to buy something, and b) it had 2 very useful pockets at the side making 5 in total - useful!

Set up the stickers and chip to outfit and bike and settled down for the night.

OsYcnhUl.jpg

Had a 7.39am start so woke up around 5am and watched some early riders making their way to their pens...

VVFEUcih.jpg

T2u6KiHl.jpg

Then making my way down to the entry point for Orange and Blue waves where the trucks were waiting for bag drop offs.

DlnoCd4l.jpg

And continued towards where my start would be.

J7JL8Qsl.jpg

I somehow ended up going 20 yards to the right here for some reason, until I realised I was surrounded by blues...it's not like the sign was big enough...

wqskLGal.jpg

Still can't believe West Ham will be playing here soon..

IBzvVQGl.jpg

Still walking and waiting for the waves to go thru...

g4G0Kxhl.jpg

fekux85l.jpg

oCEB71pl.jpg

We got a nice celebratory flyover...

4Ax4EjRl.jpg

And the songs that kept changing suddenly switched to Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline, which was strange as I'd been humming that tune for no reason whatsoever all day Saturday in the car. Kinda freaked me out to the point I forgot how iphone video cameras work...

Nearly there....

YKa9NNvl.jpg

And off we went. My target was a sub 6 hour time. Last time in 2013 I had done it in an official time of 6hrs 35 mins, with 6hrs 05mins cycling time. I thought I could knock a big chunk of that off with more efficient choices in where to stop.

Started really well, an average of around 20mph or so hiding behind the wheels of two Wheelers and a RideLondon official jersey cyclist (gritted my teeth at Wiggle).

Saw first incident at the top of a bridge where a girl was being treated with a fellow female cyclist with her, looked just like a scrape, nothing too serious.

Richmond Park was lovely and sunny, Sawyers Hill was its usual windy self.

xehI31Vl.jpg

Kingston was noisy and fun, and then thru to Hampton Court and the first HUB which in 2013 was a nice and easy get in/get out situation. This time it was in a field, requiring you to walk with the bike the whole length to get out. Topped up bottle, did my business and a slow walk out still took 13 minutes. D'oh.

The dull section to Walton seemed to pass by quite quick, and I used to roads all the way to Pyrford to eat as much as possible. So 2 bananas, 3 Nakd bars and lots of water intake and then it was the hills!

Newlands passed by with no issue, wasn't particularly fast, wasn't slow, then the downhill I took slower than I usually do as I had some clearly nervous riders to the front and side of me, so the nice flowing downhill was a bit wasted, but safely navigated by all.

Gave it some between Abinger and Forest Green where I stopped at the water break, which again took longer than I expected as bike stands were limited and it all seemed a little crazy, certainly all the stops seemed less spread out as they had been in 2013. Another 7 minutes lost here. :sad:

I got a little confused where we actually were here, and hit the big ramp prior to Leith Hill thinking it was the ramp up to the Forest Green turn off, so when we took a sharp left and went onto Leith Hill I was a little surprised.

Then I saw people indicating slow down, and cyclists dismounting, which I did too, then heard people shouting for any medics to come, and saw a pair of legs on the ground, the gentleman on his back. I took the bike a good way around the group there and carried on. Of course later you find the tragic news about the person (a Mr Stephen Green) who died of a cardiac arrest while cycling for a children's charity 'Action for A-T' Stephen's Charity Page. So so sad, on a day of celebration and fun.

Took a breather at the top of Leith Hill (where I heard the sad news from a marshall)

RTtBSs5l.jpg

20 IMG limit so split into two...

Last edited:
Top Bottom