Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterday I was undecided about going out today.
After a lie in and breakfast at the cafe, I thought sod it, I'll just have a pootle round on the hybrid...

13.65 miles later, I was back home with a big grin on my face.

Usual route out to Garforth via Scholes and cross country from there. Then back to Thorpe Park on Barnbow Lane and I decided to cycle over to Temple Newsam staying on NCN R66. The signage on this section leaves a lot to be desired and at one point sends you down a short length of shared path that ends in a six inch drop off a kerb, then directs you straight on when you have a choice of left or right...:wacko:
Quick stop at Temple Newsam for a drink and a photo:
IMG_20150802_131813969_HDR.jpg

Then reversed my route up to Barrowby Lane, down the hill (where Map My Ride has again robbed me of a big chunk of speed - bike computer showed max speed of 32mph, MMR states a top speed of 22.8 mph), across the railway line, down Pendas Way and up to home.

13.65 miles in 1hr 9mins at an average of 11.8 mph and 546ft climbed. And 3 PBs set!
All is good in the world again.:biggrin:

So good in fact that I washed and lubricated the bike before lunch.

martint235

Dog on a bike
120 miles around Surrey and North Kent with @ianrauk and @zigzag. A great route but a sore shoulder meant I wasn't at my best or most sociable. I also broke another saddle :sad:

I'm sure one of the guys will be along with a better ride report soon. It really is a great route though.

13 rider

Guru
Mappleborough Green the destination 56 miles the journey. Numpty count 1, me, there was a Dave tarmac interface on the way out this morning, prat fall no serious damage, I've got a skinned elbow and a bruised hip and my nice new Eastway has a scraped brake lever, bottom of the climb to the Hockley Heath road I went to shift to the inner ring and it shifted straight through and off the inside leaving me with no drive, I couldn't get a foot down quick enough and I gracefully toppled on my side. Up until then it had been a good ride, my usual route out of Coventry through malfunction junction and through Tile Hill to Balsal Common, and on past the Honely Boot to Hatton, the other side of Hatton I turned left for Lowsenford, the other side of Lowenford I turned down Pig Trot Lane then the left and right to turn down Gentlemans lane then left thorough Ullenhall to pick up the main road into Mappleborough Green. On the way back I followed my wheel tracks back to the top of Pig Trot Lane turned right then left towards Hockly Heath, half way down the lane I turned right then left and right across the main road onto Wharf Lane then right and left across the main road and headed past Packwood House and Badersly Clinton and into Balsal Common then across the City Home. Strange morning cool enough for longs and a long sleeve jersey, it seemed still but there was a little bit of a breeze to make it hard work, by the time I left the Cafe it had warmed up and the breeze had got stronger, the long sleeve jersey went in the saddle bag for the ride home. It would have been a good ride if the fall hadn't spoilt it.
Dam those new fangled gear things bet that never happened with your fixie . I used to get the same issue .I put on a dog fang chain catcher .Problem solved

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, posted today due to a house full of Grandchildren.Well, only two, but it seems like so many more! :laugh:

A solo ride as all the usual mates were at w*rk. I was hoping for a fairly early start, but I couldn't get my lazy ass out of bed so it turned into just before 10 ish.... Never mind, I had a lovely ride around the local area towards Salcey Forest. On the way there, a horse riding lass asked if I was a farmer... Errr... no, but I had to ask why! "Because there's a sheep tangled up in some wire fencing just up the road", said she.

IMG_20150801_124016.jpg

Sure enough, there was. I couldn't do anything about it, so turned back to a nearby and knocked up the farmers wife to get it sorted. By the time I got back, an old boy had turned up and told me it was the second time in a week that it's got stuck and he'd called the owner. (that's the little blip on Strava at about 10.5 miles)

I was onwards and upwards to Salcey after this diversion, but didn't stop for refreshments as it would be heaving on a weekend.

IMG_20150801_185528.jpg

The CX.. My favourite bike at the moment. :okay:

DSC_1758.JPG

From Salcey Forest, I headed homewards by alongside some fields of barley. Most of the rape has now been harvested, and some of the wheat. Busy time for farmers at the moment, once they've finished chasing sheep around!

The final few miles was along a byway near a traveller camp.

DSC_1772.JPG

The usual mess of dumped rubbish even though the council tip is half a mile away..:dry:

Anyway, back home on a pleasant 30 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/358578748

:smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The final few miles was along a byway near a traveller camp.

View attachment 98610

The usual mess of dumped rubbish even though the council tip is half a mile away..:dry:
You should see the fly tipping round here from the house-dwelling "respectable" residents. And the littering. I've not done my usual litter picking on the road to the village for a while and it was depressing to see how much its built up since I last did it. For the sake of my blood pressure, I won't mention my fellow dog-walkers and their aversion to picking up their dogs' poo.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You should see the fly tipping round here from the house-dwelling "respectable" residents. And the littering. I've not done my usual litter picking on the road to the village for a while and it was depressing to see how much its built up since I last did it. For the sake of my blood pressure, I won't mention my fellow dog-walkers and their aversion to picking up their dogs' poo.
Indeed.. same problem all over, sadly. I hate rubbish (and dog poo) and the people who think it's beneath them to take it home or dispose of it properly.

D

Deleted member 1258

Dam those new fangled gear things bet that never happened with your fixie . I used to get the same issue .I put on a dog fang chain catcher .Problem solved

I'm going to check the gear adjustment later on, and if it happens again I'll have to fit a chain catcher, the bikes brand new so I was taken a bit by surprise, mind you I have changed the chain rings, 46/38 so maybe I'm a smidge out with the setup. With my fixed I'm very particular with chain adjustment, loosing the chain at high revs doesn't bear thinking about, the only time I broke a chain on a fixed I was lucky, my speed had barely made double figures.

Wafer

Veteran
Doh, now remembered I forgot to take pics on my ride today. Went to lbs near where I work to talk to a chap about a new bike, not sure what the current bike thought of that but as I grabbed it and headed out a lady in the shop complimented it!
Then went home via mum's house to fix her printer which meant a nice 28miles in totals, probably my longest ride EVER with about twice as much climbing as usual even if it was split up. Weather improved to making me glad I'd just got some cycling glasses with interchangeable lenses.

Knackered but chuffed especially as I'd been fiddling with the brakes and they felt a lot better :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
100 miles for me today with @400bhp , comprising of a ride over from Cheshire to Sheffield via Castleton, Hope and Hathersage. Lunch at the cafe at Endcliffe Park in Sheffield, where apparently I took a photo of @dan_bo s mate "Wavey Davey Gravey" !:eek: Excellent lunch consisting of a cheesburger, chips, a salad and an ice cold coke. No guilt on a long ride. :blush:
media?size=l.jpg

Then back via the 5 mile climb out of Sheffield to Stoney Ridge then a fast descent into Hathersage, cutting across to the Snake, stopping for a quick drink at the Snake Pass Inn. :cheers: Then down through Glossop and Marple. Arrived back in Wilmslow and decided that it would be rude not to stick an extra 14 miles on the ride to complete the imperial 100 so grabbed a bannana and a fresh drink and went for a quick loop locally to finish the job.
A cracking ride with near perfect weather. :sun:Average 18 mph plus so not too slow for a hilly 100. :smile: and back in time for the London road race. Can't be bad. :biggrin:

Top Bottom