Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/358717097

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now for the fun bit:bicycle::hyper:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A tale of two rides today.

Firstly, yesterdays ride, which was a post work repeat of the previous evenings local circuit:
Home at an almost sensible time tonight, so out for a cheeky ride before tea.
Just time for a circuit round local roads, then a quick full speed run down Manston Lane into the countryside, before looping back round and up to home.
10.56 miles, 41 mins at an average speed of 15.4mph.
As I haven't been out on the bike since Sunday (combination of work and rubbish weather), I pushed a bit harder than usual and managed two PBs as well - not bad for a Thursday. :okay:

Which was slightly quicker (39 mins) and slightly faster (average speed 15.9mph) - which is good, but it felt like hard work. I put it down to a headwind for much of the return leg and only having an energy gel, rather than actual food.

This morning i was up for an early ride and for whatever reason it just didn't seem to appeal. I decided to abandon my plan to head for Wetherby on the road bike and instead have a ride round some old favourites on the hybrid, predominantly off road.

It's a route I've done before and it's always put a smile on my face, but it did seem like a slog at times today:
Wood Lane to Scholes, down Main St to the Coronation tree then off road down Bog Lane / Barnbow Lane to Manston Lane where I picked Nanny Goat Lane which is the bridleway to Garforth.
Left at the end onto Barwick Road, up as far as Parlington Lane (NCR66) and back off road up to Aberford, where after a criminally close pass from a muppet in a white Fiesta with a cheapo "cherished" plate (he'd have been better off spending the money on a visit to Specsavers), I stopped for a drink and 10 mins rest . Had an energy bar too, to see if that would perk me up...
Then a reverse of the route back to Barwick Rd, then across the golf course on the bridleway where I passed a couple on MTBs heading the opposite way, into the headwind on Manston Lane and Pendas Fields and home.
It's also worth commenting that there were a LOT of flies out today...xx(

IMG_20150801_092439058.jpg

14.73 miles in 1hr 15m at an average of 11.7 mph with 589ft climbed - on the face of it, comparable with what I'd normally expect on the hybrid but my legs really felt it today, especially my thighs which just felt empty. Maybe I'd been pushing it too hard on the road bike previously but I suppose one ropey day in 6 months isn't too shabby. Oddly I set a PB on one section, but it certainly didn't feel fast.

I'm now off to revitalise my knackered old body with beer, bangers and burgers. I may be some time...:cheers:

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
The last big ride today. 30 miles to get to the Lion Inn, which is a loooong climb when you choose the least-steep route. The stiff headwind and rain didn't help matters either, but I am still reasonably dry.

Followed the cycle route along this track, which was actually rideable on 23mm slicks. A bit bumpy, and you needed to take it easy, but rideable! There were only a couple of very loose bits that were walked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 46

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With last weeks manflu mysteriously morphing into a sore swollen knee today was my first proper ride this week so I decided to give the knee a rest & take a flat route down to the seaside for a change.

The planned route took me to the southern side of the New Forest, past Beaulieu & through Brockenhurst before taking in some roads I hadn't ridden before down to Barton-on-Sea where lunch was taken looking out across the Solent.

Continuing with the theme of places beginning with the letter B, the return journey saw the pesky south westerly turn into a tailwind & I headed back into the forest, through Bransgore, Burley & Bolderwood for home & a very pleasant 63 miles & at the moment no complaints from said knee!

https://www.strava.com/activities/358658930

009.JPG

Looking across the Solent to the Isle of Wight with The Needles to the right.

013.JPG

Nice new tarmac on the road from Bransgore to Burley in the beautiful New Forest.

014.JPG

Burleys war memorial, note the number of cycles lined up on the left.

015.JPG

Taking a break at Bolderwood.

019.JPG

And todays wildlife pic.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2

I used to drop anchor at the head of that island and spend the day fishing . Never caught anything but I grew up there so it was a nice place to be :smile:
I had an eventful ride today . Heading for box hill I found a market with a pretty girl selling cakes so I decided to sample her chocolate cake :headshake:
Then there where lambs on the A 25 so I stopped a local to ask if it was normal . It wasn't so I called the non emergency police .
Then a driver had his fuel cap hanging out so after letting him know I put that back in for him .
Got home to find someone had stolen the eggs I sell in my front garden .
Mapped out a nice hilly route I have been wanting to do for a while . Lots of downhills to recover for the climbs , its a nice little route for anyone local .
http://www.strava.com/activities/358736044

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Got Hubster out late afternoon for a ride.
We went off down towards Hellesdon and then headed through Drayton and onwards across country to St Faiths. Normal sort of route for us but then we decided to see what was down this road to the left. Dead end as it turned out but we found a narrow road and followed it, until it came out at Spixworth. We didn't fancy going back yet so we went off to the left and then took a right and another left and ended up about here:
Donkey%202%20800x800.jpg

We thought of asking for directions but had no carrots or apples tucked into our lycra and Mr Donkey seemed to know less about where we were than we did, so we had a cuddle with him and then left him to his grazing.

After a bit of lefting and righting, I realised where we were and said 'lets go to the river' and off we went to Horstead Mill
Horstead%20Mill%20598x800.jpg
Where I stopped to look at the view
Horstead%20Mill%20view%20598x800.jpg
and Hubster pushed off as he didn't hear me yelling 'oy stop, we are stopping here'. He came back after a few minutes when he realised that I was nowhere in sight and that he didn't know where he was. Horstead Mill as it happens, is just next to Coltishall so he wouldn't have been lost for long.
We followed the path thing rather than the road, as it was a nice evening, not too many people around and it seemed the thing to do
Horstead%20Mill%20Path%20598x800.jpg
Not really road bike terrain but what the heck. We did have to get off once or twice at particularly narrow and rooty areas but the path brought us out near Coltishall Island.
From there we headed for Aylsham - or that's what the sign says but we were heading to Hainford, then Felthorpe and then Taverham, where we got on the Marriotts Way and rode home.

26.58 Miles in a couple of hours or so. Lovely afternoon, early evening, no coffee, no cake and I am now hungry.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Cycled through the town I grew up in today, glad I left. Lots of buckfast emeralds all over route 76 and wasters with carrier bags hanging around in the park. Passed the Falkirk stadium on the way home, Tom Jones is performing tonight. Forgot my Strava recording device. Nice evening all the same.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Cycled through the town I grew up in today, glad I left. Lots of buckfast emeralds all over route 76 and wasters with carrier bags hanging around in the park. Passed the Falkirk stadium on the way home, Tom Jones is performing tonight. Forgot my Strava recording device. Nice evening all the same.

This sounds like the opening lines to a gritty cycling novel. Carry on, I'm enjoying it!

Buckfast, made by Monks, drunk by skunks.

I used to drop anchor at the head of that island and spend the day fishing . Never caught anything but I grew up there so it was a nice place to be :smile:
I had an eventful ride today . Heading for box hill I found a market with a pretty girl selling cakes so I decided to sample her chocolate cake :headshake:
Then there where lambs on the A 25 so I stopped a local to ask if it was normal . It wasn't so I called the non emergency police .
Then a driver had his fuel cap hanging out so after letting him know I put that back in for him .
Got home to find someone had stolen the eggs I sell in my front garden .
Mapped out a nice hilly route I have been wanting to do for a while . Lots of downhills to recover for the climbs , its a nice little route for anyone local .
http://www.strava.com/activities/358736044
I rarely go in that way, but I fancied a pint in the Roebuck, so I did, and (ironically) there was a Roebuck (big old antlers and everything) in the park as well.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.6 miles this day, riding the Raleigh Sports in the country. I had replaced the saddle with some other leather saddle which has not springs, but that aspect still was not too bad. Still warm, 85F and winds from SW at 14 and a slowly falling glass. Relative Humidity is 46% with a few high clouds. Many people out riding, including 2 recumbents and about 4 racing bicycles. I had, earlier in the day, given both the Schwinn Impact and Raleigh what we call red dirt treatment, a clay used to bring up the gloss and color in paint, followed by a polish to remove more oxidation, a washing, and a coat of wax. These bicycles now feel more aerodynamic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom