Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just the 'usual 20 mile route' today.

Yep - it was a cold start and one that nearly had me killed. Don' ask, there is absolutely nothing you can do when you are cycling along with a hi-viz top on, a very bright, flashing rear light and a dual colour, hi-viz flag with reflective strips in it... if the driver is not looking at the road he's not looking at the road and yep.... I swerved off the road (saw him coming and heard the fact he wasn't slowing down), he suddenly saw me at the latest possible moment but too late to brake and swerved around me, nearly took out the oncoming car, horn emergency stop for oncoming car, and VWM hits his brakes for a moment then drives off... like I said not much you can do really. That was WVM, blue van man was the vehicle behind him and was pretty shaken actually as was the orange car driver (well that's what colour is looked, I'm sure it is probably called autumnal bronze or something like that but...)

Anyhow, I was in 2 minds as to give up and go home, but it wasn't even 9am and the weather was clear blue skies and looking good so I decided not to let it get the better of me. it hadn't really ruffled any feathers in that as far as I was concerned.. so I decided to continue.

I pretty much has a 20 mile route now worked out and it has almost as much climbing for around here as is possible to get into a sensible 20 mile route without having to repeat roads etc and that is 1,433 feet not bad for here.

Delamere Forest was strangely quiet for some reason, as were quite a few of the roads today. I have no idea as to why but it was nice :biggrin:

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

Delamere Forest where I took a few minutes out for a breather.

Then it was onto the rest of the climbing. I also needed to pick up some eggs, so I was on the look out for one of the side of the road stashes having some. The first 2 were empty, so I decided that the eggs would come for a ride and I would pick them up when I saw them rather than leaving it to as late as possible because I knew that at least 1 of the other places was also showing 'no eggs'....

IMG_3793.JPG

Not as good as ColinJ's view but those hills in the distance are the Pennines. Jodrell Bank is over to the right and almost visible. Hopefully I will be there tomorrow, or Tatton Park or Dunham Massey, we are still deciding!

IMG_3789.JPG

Then given that is the top of the hill at the far end of the Delamere Hills, there is only one way to go... yehhhhhhhhhhh

IMG_3803.JPG

Before long it is looking rather grim in the wing mirror, so sticking to the plan, I head home having had a good morning out in the sunshine, needed the suncream on again despite the cold start and another 20 miles onto the recumbent and whilst my average is not my fastest for this route, I am having issues with my right leg at the moment (my physio says 'it's a mess') so I am quite happy with the average and how I feel at the end of it. Lunch was those eggs btw and I had a really nice ride!
https://www.strava.com/activities/357978784

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Pretty epic ride (for me). My legs now seem to have disengaged from the rest of my body

I've run a couple of Peak District rides this summer. They're a good laugh (if you can manage the hills). I've been eyeing up a third route and was going to do it Saturday. But the forecast was better today. So I'll have to work tomorrow instead

Great route. Takes in Long Hill (which is a long hill), Goyt Valley (one of the prettiest in the Peak District), an exhilarating descent to Longnor, lunch at Flash the highest village in Britain, Wildboarclough that runs the Goyt close for prettiness, a cobbled Mur de Huy and then home. 104km all in, with exactly 2000m of climbing

Some pics

The bird in the picture (it's a crap picture, I know) is a Raven. You tend to see them when you get over 1000ft up. This was following a farmer cutting his hay, presumably after insects. Not a common bird

5ilUfDOpfnwBe7aLU3tVa142KztG4IzKrUh_xusIZEw-768x432.jpg

Here's Long Hill. It's about 5 miles long but averages only about 3.5% so you can have a nice, easy climb if you like. You can see the weather was very kind indeed

pQbRs7oHwwYTY04wXQa1pqCQM33etr6S19KmuS617A0-768x432.jpg

Fast descent over a load of cattle grids. You have to be confident and just make sure you're perpendicular and go for it. No bunny-hopping for me

Saw these guys out doing their thing

EdpdtJDyf1q9oA4s5KbmxNIsiWHDRQswLyKUvvrGFRI-768x432.jpg

Finally got to Flash and a chance to try the café there. It's the highest village in UK so I guess this is the highest café in the UK too? It says it's 1,518ft up

z67WZ4c5pND-fTFtyT4Hu-OLeLJYF7qQ7SJRwfwsVEw-432x768.jpg

I've upset @Aperitif on his thread about classic British foods. So I decided to order some Staffordshire oatcakes (being in Staffordshire) with cheese and onion filling. They were delicious
B9JRmrj3UOlWNadzcIlDWNuwULnl0r3XMe2o3hg36ec-768x432.jpg

£6.50 for the oatcakes and a fresh and delicious cappuccino.

In Bollington they have a nasty surprise for the unaware cyclist. It's called Beeston Brow. I didn't take a photo, here's one I've borrowed

VS_Chsh_058c.jpg

I may have looked slightly less relaxed that that guy. 20%, cobbled with a 90 degree turn. I made it without stopping but I got the "bleep of death" from my Garmin; If I go really slow it assumes I've stopped and it bleeps at me

A tough but really great ride. Think I'll run it as a CC ride in the future

https://www.strava.com/activities/358029791

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Today's ride, 67.1 miles from Upton to The Holiday Inn in Straford, London ready for the RLS100 on Sunday.

We rode through some beautiful country side and the arse end of west London suburbs through Ealing, Acton, shepherds Bush, Notting Hill, Paddington, down to Bank, to collect luggage then to our destination.

An interesting slowish ride partly because once you get into West London there's traffic lights every three feet.

Anyway we're here and saved us about £70 in train fares/car parking etc.

image.jpg

The Kennet & Avon canal Reading.

image.jpg

The tools of today
image.jpg

Some wildlife
image.jpg

The dreary A4 Slough ( of despond)

image.jpg

A slight detour along the Grand Union canal.
image.jpg

Funfair at Shepherds Bush

image.jpg

Can't remember where this is, somewhere in the City.

Saw a window cleaner cyclists, buckets on the back of a Brompton, telescopic cleaning pole, and a gardener with all his gear and tools on a trike.

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I have finally got round to upgrading my CAADX and went out on a little test ride this afternoon. It was nice and sunny so I felt like doing a longish ride, but I had arranged to meet just_fixed (the former 'bromptonfb') for an evening road ride, so I couldn't be out too long.

Ride #1: I chose to do a warmup along the Rochdale canal towpath in the sunshine ...

View attachment 98294

... then cross the A646 and climb up Duke Street/Eastwood Lane, and finally dash home on the road.

Now, Duke Street isn't really a street, and Eastwood Lane isn't much of a lane either, but Sat-Nav programmers perhaps can be forgiven for thinking that they are public roads. They are NOT! They are actually steep, rough farm tracks which are effectively a private road, but one which is classified as a public bridleway. Hence me heading up there on a cyclocross bike, and why the locals are not happy for people to drive up there. Especially in large vehicles!

So, you are told that right at the bottom, in no uncertain terms ...

View attachment 98299

(The Long Causeway is the top road to Burnley from Hebden Bridge. It is a scenic alternative to the A646 in good weather, but this is not the right way to get up to it in a motor vehicle.)

And in case you didn't get that ...

View attachment 98298

... ignore your Sat-Nav and follow the A646 to Burnley (the road on the left of the photo).

No, honestly, your Sat-Nav is trying to get you into trouble ...

View attachment 98297

.... but you follow it under the railway bridge and drive up Duke Street anyway.

I'll be blunt - if you ignore these warnings too, then ...

View attachment 98296

YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO DRIVE! :laugh:

Anyway, enough of that! I was enjoying my new low gears. The bridleway gets steeper and steeper as it ascends towards Great Rock. It used to be a test of skill as well as fitness because the surface was very broken up and covered in boulders, potholes, cracks, gravel etc. but it got 'sanitised' a while back. The roughest parts were resurfaced in tarmac or concrete. Now it is really just a test of fitness.

I really appreciated my new 34/36 bottom gear - I don't think I would have got up there on the old 36/30 gear.

I made the mistake of stopping to take a photo for you lot ...

View attachment 98295

... and then struggled to get going again! As usual, the photo does not show just how steep the bridleway is.

When I emerged onto the road below Great Rock, I stopped and slumped over the handlebars, gasping for breath, much to the amusement of a driver who had stopped up there for a quick cigarette break!

Time was getting on so I rushed home for a quick bike change. My 7 mile test ride went well, and I look forward to doing longer ones soon.

Ride #2: Whizzed up the A646 to meet just_fixed near the outskirts of Burnley, then did a loop together back along the Rossendale valley and over the hill from Bacup back to Todmorden where we parted company. 26 miles covered in that ride.

Lol I bet some tools still drive on to the farm track!

Did a couple of short rides today to get my nice fat Cannondale bar tape fitted, and then to drop some stuff off at my mates. On the second ride managed a 9th overall time (out of 249) on a segment, albeit a grit-your-teeth downhill one with speed bumps and parked cars aplenty. Wont be going any higher on that leaderboard!

While I waited for the bar tape to be done, had a cuppa in a very coffee orientated cafe, to the point they had a sign saying you should be thick skinned if you ask for tea! (I had 2). :tongue:

Oh and I almost rode into the back of a learner vehicle today when they decided to do an emergency stop on a green light coming up to a roundabout....my own fault really, too close and my Kool Stops seem a bit under powered vs my previous ones. :blush:

84xfk5Vl.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/357959597
https://www.strava.com/activities/358010675

MikeW-71

Veteran
I have a few to catch up on and not enough internet to do them justice yet, but todays was day 4 of my re-arranged tour. I'll write it all up properly when I get back home.

Today was the longest distance at 34miles, but also the flattest with only a stiff climb up to Osmotherley as the highlight. Sadly there wasn't much of interest to photo, but here is what awaits me tommorrow.

That's when I take a roundabout 30 mile route to Englands highest pub, the Lion Inn. I start by turning left at the end of this road...... uphill. I am in the North Yorkshire Moors after all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 43

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I decided that tonight on the way home from work I would pop to Sainsburys and get some stuff. Direct route from work is 6 miles, but that takes me straight through the city centre and I didn't fancy playing with the rush hour traffic. So I decided to go through Watermead Park and the scenic route.

21 miles later I am walking into Sainsburys :laugh: - another 3 on top of that to get home, best ride of the week.

Beautiful weather and picked the right route as I saw hardly any traffic.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Friday commute and it's a nice day out there for once. I deliberately set out to do a very relaxed pace today to try and keep the legs fresh in case I'm able to do a big ride over the weekend. Nothing really to report other than there was :sun: (slightly chilly first thing though).

Doug (my brother) was going to ride out and join me for the return trip but had tyre trouble after only a couple of miles and not being the most mechanically minded, opted to head home.

So it was business as usual for me riding back alone, still at a relaxed pace. I decided on a whim to go over Lyth Hill rather than mixing it with the traffic on the A49 and unexpectedly met @gavgav coming the other way when I reached the top. We had a brief chat before heading onwards. Finally I put in an extra loop round the village just for variety.

22.6 miles for the day at a leisurely 12.8 mph average.

I looked at Dougs bike this evening and the issue was that he'd not checked the tyre pressures before setting out and noticing that the rear was soft had managed to let a lot of air out while trying to pump it up.:rolleyes: He'd also bent the thread on the valve core (presta valves) which snapped off when I made the mistake of trying to straighten it.
facepalm.gif
All is well now - a new tube is fitted and he's had some practice with the pump.:okay:

A few snapshots from the day:

DSC0002587.jpg

Nice conditions on the old canal path at Sundorne

DSC0002589.jpg
Upton Magna

DSC0002590.jpg
Upton Magna

DSC0002592.jpg
Harvesting going on at Little Lyth

DSC0002593.jpg
The view to the Wrekin from the same spot.

gavgav

Guru
Hold the front pages, "calm weather returns to Shropshire"!! Well for 3/4 of my ride it did and it was so ruddy nice! It's that long since I rode without a strong wind that I'd forgotten how nice it actually feels to ride in a 5 mph breeze rather than 15 to 20mph wind!!

I began by heading through Bayston Hill and then climbed Lyth Hill, where I met @Rickshaw Phil on his way back from work. Had a chat to Phil for 5 minutes before heading up the lumpy track and then descending to Exfords Green.

I turned off and headed up Long Lane, which as usual carried far more traffic than a lane like that should do, before climbing up to Oaks.

The legs felt really good and so I decided to head to Pulverbatch, where I had to negotiate a combine harvester decoupling a dangerous looking implement with lots of prongs and cutters, before it then got stuck meeting a bus coming the other way.

Luckily it turned off before the fast descent to the junction I wanted, which took me up to Wilderley. The views up there take some beating, and I then took the back lane down to Stapleton. This road has lots of memories for me, as when growing up it was the lane I was allowed to ride up alone on my bike for the 1st time and I haven't been down it for years. It has been nicely resurfaced with smooth Tarmac as well and so I cruised at a nice speed. The downside of smooth Tarmac is that when meeting a Range Rover on a blind bend, one is likely to skid a bit :eek:. He swerved and so did I, avoiding each other luckily!!

I called at Dads for 15 minutes, where he informed me he has today bought an Audi TT Roadster!! We've not long passed the 12 month anniversary of losing Mum and so it's great to see him enjoying himself again.

I then continued to Longnor, Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Pitchford where the wind decided, just in case I'd forgotten what it felt like, to get up to 13mph again and make the last stretch hard going.

I must admit I really needed an enjoyable ride like this, as with the recent weather I had lost my cycling mojo and couldn't be bothered to even ride for the last 10 days.

28.0 miles with 1400 ft of climbing at 11.8mph avg

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Lol I bet some tools still drive on to the farm track!

Did a couple of short rides today to get my nice fat Cannondale bar tape fitted, and then to drop some stuff off at my mates. On the second ride managed a 9th overall time (out of 249) on a segment, albeit a grit-your-teeth downhill one with speed bumps and parked cars aplenty. Wont be going any higher on that leaderboard!

While I waited for the bar tape to be done, had a cuppa in a very coffee orientated cafe, to the point they had a sign saying you should be thick skinned if you ask for tea! (I had 2). :tongue:

Oh and I almost rode into the back of a learner vehicle today when they decided to do an emergency stop on a green light coming up to a roundabout....my own fault really, too close and my Kool Stops seem a bit under powered vs my previous ones. :blush:

84xfk5Vl.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/357959597
https://www.strava.com/activities/358010675
Synapse bar tape? The thick, spongey stuff? I stuck some on mine a few weeks back. Lush.

Top Bottom