Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday's ride. I was too exhausted after yesterday to do anything and was falling asleep in my chair at 8pm! Mind you I think you will all understand why when you get to the end.

I've been struggling to get out these last few days. Not through bad weather or anything like that, simply lack of motivation and feeling down both physically and mentally. I needed an excuse to get out, so when I saw that my OH had left his house keys in the door despite the fact that I am usually/always home when he gets home I decided to take them to him. Mind you as it turned out he very nearly needed them!

So looking at the rain radar and looking at my husband's house keys it was obvious as to which way I was going to cycle. There was a very clear NNW-SSE split in the weather and we were right on the edge of it sometimes getting the torrential rain (squalls) and sometimes getting the sunshine - sadly we seemed to be getting more of the former.

I set out with good intentions. I had more or less planned a ride that would take me to 50km. That would stretch my legs and take most of the day, but it was a distance I was pretty certain I should be able to manage. My good intentions lasted reasonably well. At least until the first squall came through leaving me soaked and yes, I confess, sheltering under a railway bridge! :cold: Glad I put that woolly jumper on now.

IMG_3745.JPG

Coming down a hill I was nearly taken out by a 4x4 which kindly waited until I was alongside it to pull away from the side of the road! I made my feelings rather too well known about the matter. Luckily I had been sitting on both brakes anticipating such a possibility so was prepared for it. I had also had to take into account a very wet road surface on a long steep and very fast descent where you can hit 50-60mph quite easily on a dry day. The 4x4 driver made a quick exit after realising I was exceptionally pe'ed off which him.

Having a late start and then cowardly sheltering from torrential rain I was now late for my unarranged rendezvous. Time to change my plans whilst cycling up the A49. Alone I get given loads and loads of room and my OH works just off the A49 so it made sense to stay on it, normally I don't. The M56 roundabout presented no problems luckily and I was soon dropping into Stockton Heath. Here one lady driver nearly managed to cause 3 road accidents in the space of 10 seconds, one would have involved me... As I rode through Stockton Heath the driver of a red car stayed behind me for the entire time despite having various opportunities to overtake me and never showed any signs of frustration - this is bliss because it stops pedestrians from walking out across the road in front of you, and also stops the lights from changing because there is something there to detect!

My OH wasn't at work, he had taken the car to be cleaned so for once I actually got to use a bus/taxi/cycle lane :dance: This is a novelty for me living rurally, I usually get nothing.
My OH treated me to lunch from an Esso garage - luckily I had my own and was only subjected to a Gregg's special black coffee I believe they call it! :eek:

Looking north it was blue skies, looking south it was anything but, however I really did have to turn around and head homewards but it was not calling my name very loudly today and I had plans other than the A49 for getting home...

IMG_3750.JPG

Finding a cut through that we had been told about, I had a spot of sunshine, so took the opportunity for a photo, thinking that I may not get any others.
The cut through is indeed exactly that, but it is not one I will be taking again. Kind of a 'done it, don't need to do it again'....

IMG_3758.JPG

Getting less than impressed with the cut through. Later it turned to that freshly washed sand after torrential rain... :surrender:
Luckily I was just able to get the trike through the barriers at the end of the lane. Definitely not one to do again.

IMG_3760.JPG

I always like this patch of road and today it was really quiet. The sun is still out and it is getting warmer but my woolly top is still on! It is still surprisingly :cold:.

IMG_3766.JPG

I had spotted another route through Ardley Hall and decided to try it. Looks OK so far.

IMG_3767.JPG

Not looking so good now.

IMG_3768.JPG

Err - they want me to go where? Those posts and it was exceptionally muddy. I turned around and headed back the way I had come, back over those cobble and out via the route I know.

IMG_3769.JPG

Yep - the grass is still greener on the other side...

Continued...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My last ride in to work in cph for a while, and perhaps, for good. But all the traffic lights were green, and the skies blue for the first time this week, and, most important of all, it wasn't blowing a hooley.

Continued from yesterday....

After a stop at the side of the road for something to eat, I continued onwards and homewards. Actually I didn't want to go home the weather was turning out much better and it was starting to warm up, but it was also blowing a gale and it was that inevitable headwind.

IMG_3772.JPG

There was so much detail in these clouds that simply wasn't picked up by the camera and as you can see at the top of the frame, some of them were still water bearing!

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

I continued onwards through Greater Budworth. I don't normally stop to take a photo of this pretty little village. Mind you I don't normally stop here at all, I have no doubt I can't afford to when the local pub (just out of sight) is usually full of Jags, Mercs, BMWs, Bentley's, Porches, etc... Even the free range eggs for sale have a 25% mark up on their price here!

IMG_3783v1.JPG

Back across the River Weaver. Coming there was a weather divide here. One side of the bridge was wet, the other dry and the only sign of rain were tyre tracks across the bridge. It is amazing how often I have seen that here!

Now, I had a choice. I could head off up the steep climb and onto quieter roads or head home.... the weather was good, I was tired and slowing down, but it was to be the climb. No strava anything for me on this climb. It is a bottom gear grind for everyone and well known amongst the clubs for sorting out those that can climb from those that can't, Acton Bridge Hill.... And yes it was to be...

I headed up it and off at the top onto really quiet roads. Now dry. Then I was to have a series of extensions... I had wanted 50km, I had it. Getting home would be just under 60km I could not allow that, so another extension and then a phone call... my OH saying he was on his way home and was I there... err No. He was rather surprised.

I had to head home. Home would get me to 63.5km which is 39.4miles. I can't leave it at that can I?

https://www.strava.com/activities/356672782 I'm not sure how it got to 64.8km but it did.... so +40 miles I I managed it with a respectable (for me nowadays) average as well. :biggrin:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
What a lovely looking bike.
Thank You! It's a 1972 or 1973 Sports. Acquired yesterday for a not so princely sum(I sold the Fuji Touring) and came in original condition from a fellow I usually know for having done some really nice work on BSO type bicycles. The saddle will need a bit of proofhide, but otherwise in fairly decent shape. This was pulled from a barn, but had pretty good treatment. A little rust and paint chips here and there, but all speeds work, and all systems are reliable.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Did my training route again today. 8 mins quicker than Tuesday at 3:58 for 65.6 miles. That's the first time under 4 hours since early 2013 but still a way off my PB of 3:44. I think I could have gone quicker today but made a school boy error of sticking to a rigid eating regime rather than when I felt it was needed.

750 miles for July which isn't bad

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Ran a half marathon distance yesterday so decided today was a bike day. Got the full Lycra on and out on the Defy 3. Headed out on the route 76 farm roads behind Skinflats then past Letham and into Larbert and Stenhousemuir. I cut through Camelon cemetery and headed home on the newly surfaced paths along the river Carron with a quick look at the big horse's heids. Looks like I drew a Strava camel :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/357271229

IMG_20150730_124227064.jpg
IMG_20150730_140513651_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150730_124216269_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150730_141549095.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@Gravity Aided , Just seen your photos of your Raleigh Sport on your PB page, nice photos. Have you checked out the date stamp on your rear hub of that bike?

A short ride to the shops and bank today, 6.34 mile round trip, along the railway embankments again, but a slight detour back through East Hagbourne, Coscote and West Hagbourne..

1-IMG_2078.JPG

A nice gentle ride on the Kingpin, it only comes out to play when the road are dry.

2-IMG_2079.JPG

The old railway route.
3-IMG_2080.JPG

Nice timber framed house in Coscote
4-IMG_2081.JPG

The railway embankment in the distance.

5-IMG_2084.JPG

There are several of those old Victorian bridges along the path built so the farmers could have access to the land. They must have cost a fortune.
6-IMG_2086.JPG

Typical of the views around here, aren't I lucky.
7-IMG_2088.JPG

Spot the butterflies

didcot12.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Home from work early and realised July monthly milage was only 181 . my target is 2400 for the year so 200 a month so cycling ocd kicked in . Out with the bike 19 miles to round total up ^_^. Head out through Newtown Linford out to Markfield , Thornton ,Bagworth ,Desford ,Newtown Unthank ,Ratby and back to Newtown Linford and Home. Lovely ride even if its still windy :banghead:in nice evening sunshine. 19.2 miles done at 16.4 mph on the defy .Ocd cured for now​

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
So my tour is well and truly over. @hopless500 left today after being collected by Mr Hop. 3 great weeks of touring Holland and Belgium and 1 week of chillin on the coast.

After a week of doing very little and my guests gone it was time to grab the housework by its nether regions. I managed half the whole task before i could not ignore the warm sunshine and the thought of a ride along the beach.

Straight out the back gate onto the cycle path
20150730_140322.jpg

The traffic was backed up alongside the path as the farm vehicles went to and fro the field racing to get the harvest in. Several times i had to wipe my glasses clean and i had several bits of unspecified crops in my hair at the end.

I took to the lanes through Finglesham,Ham
20150730_141934.jpg
and Worth and into Sandwich. Tea and a pear and hazelnut crumble muffin was consumed before i took the Quay road into Bay and onwards to home.
20150730_151132.jpg

A short but sweet ride. Weather forecast looks good for the weekend so hopefully i can get some of my favourite early morning rides in before back to work on Monday.

After my longest ride of the year on the Legend of Gelert on Sunday (83miles) when I knew I had more in the tank as I rolled into the finish at Rhos-on-Sea Golf Club, and after a week of continuous emails and work tasks when I'm only supposed to work 1 day a week, I felt the need to get away from the computer. A stab at an imperial century was calling - my first since major spinal surgery in 2010 left me paralysed for a while, and 5 months off work.

So, looking at Thursday's f/c from Monday onwards, I'd contemplated a trip through @Rickshaw Phil territory, hoping I could get in and out un-noticed.

I'd also tweaked my Defy since Sunday, fitting a new XT Shadow rear mech and a left-over 11-34 cassette to give me more options on the hills. At 61 and 100kg (all muscle, honest! :whistle:), I need to look after the only pair of knees I have. Wiggle etc don't seem to sell new knees..... A quick 7 miles last night proved that all worked OK, so no excuse not to try for the century. After putting to bed all the work-issues and emails on Wednesday, I knew the century had to be on - if nothing else to work the knots out of my back muscles and forget about work.

After my usual pre big--ride muesli, yoghurt and honey breakfast, I hit the road at 0730, heading west (and into the wind) for Overton, Gobowen (where I spent 6 weeks flat on my back in the orthopaedic hospital's spinal injuries unit) and on south through the Shropshire lanes through Ryton and into Phil country and Shrewsbury. Much cooler than I expected from the BBC f/cast and didn't stop on NCR81 by the Severn for refueling, but headed on east now through Upton Magna and on to Wellington (for my first visit). Apologies if you live there, but next time I'll find an alternative route. Stopped for a very good soup and sandwich in Newport before heading back into the brisk NW wind to take the lumpy cycle route up through Market Drayton and Audlem, before launching out across the Cheshire Plain round the back of Wrenbury and home. 104 miles, 8hrs 07 moving, av 12.8. Would have been nice not to have dropped below 13mph average, but the brisk headwind and the hills between Newport and Audlem took their toll. Didn't help that once at Market Drayton I felt "home" (stupidly, with 27 miles to go) and forgot to keep eating. Realised the mistake 15 miles from home and guzzled my third flapjack, a handful of wine gums and finished the last of my SIS drink bottle. That did the trick and some 'go' returned.

The revised gearing proved to be just what the knee doctor would have ordered had I kept on trying to grind up the local hills, can easily sit and spin up anything I've seen today, and would expect to see locally. Some Shropshire audaxes beckon now I think.

Now, as that was only 23-odd miles short of a 200k, maybe I need to look to do that before putting the Defy to bed for the winter once our rural roads get clogged with cowsh!t and mud as the dark nights approach and the 'bent comes out to play again.

Shall not be late to bed tonight, and as the wife has bought new sheets, duvet cover and duvet for our new bed, that's a very enticing prospect!

Night night!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After my longest ride of the year on the Legend of Gelert on Sunday (83miles) when I knew I had more in the tank as I rolled into the finish at Rhos-on-Sea Golf Club, and after a week of continuous emails and work tasks when I'm only supposed to work 1 day a week, I felt the need to get away from the computer. A stab at an imperial century was calling - my first since major spinal surgery in 2010 left me paralysed for a while, and 5 months off work.

So, looking at Thursday's f/c from Monday onwards, I'd contemplated a trip through @Rickshaw Phil territory, hoping I could get in and out un-noticed.

I'd also tweaked my Defy since Sunday, fitting a new XT Shadow rear mech and a left-over 11-34 cassette to give me more options on the hills. At 61 and 100kg (all muscle, honest! :whistle:), I need to look after the only pair of knees I have. Wiggle etc don't seem to sell new knees..... A quick 7 miles last night proved that all worked OK, so no excuse not to try for the century. After putting to bed all the work-issues and emails on Wednesday, I knew the century had to be on - if nothing else to work the knots out of my back muscles and forget about work.

After my usual pre big--ride muesli, yoghurt and honey breakfast, I hit the road at 0730, heading west (and into the wind) for Overton, Gobowen (where I spent 6 weeks flat on my back in the orthopaedic hospital's spinal injuries unit) and on south through the Shropshire lanes through Ryton and into Phil country and Shrewsbury. Much cooler than I expected from the BBC f/cast and didn't stop on NCR81 by the Severn for refueling, but headed on east now through Upton Magna and on to Wellington (for my first visit). Apologies if you live there, but next time I'll find an alternative route. Stopped for a very good soup and sandwich in Newport before heading back into the brisk NW wind to take the lumpy cycle route up through Market Drayton and Audlem, before launching out across the Cheshire Plain round the back of Wrenbury and home. 104 miles, 8hrs 07 moving, av 12.8. Would have been nice not to have dropped below 13mph average, but the brisk headwind and the hills between Newport and Audlem took their toll. Didn't help that once at Market Drayton I felt "home" (stupidly, with 27 miles to go) and forgot to keep eating. Realised the mistake 15 miles from home and guzzled my third flapjack, a handful of wine gums and finished the last of my SIS drink bottle. That did the trick and some 'go' returned.

The revised gearing proved to be just what the knee doctor would have ordered had I kept on trying to grind up the local hills, can easily sit and spin up anything I've seen today, and would expect to see locally. Some Shropshire audaxes beckon now I think.

Now, as that was only 23-odd miles short of a 200k, maybe I need to look to do that before putting the Defy to bed for the winter once our rural roads get clogged with cowsh!t and mud as the dark nights approach and the 'bent comes out to play again.

Shall not be late to bed tonight, and as the wife has bought new sheets, duvet cover and duvet for our new bed, that's a very enticing prospect!

Night night!
You called? :hello: Well done on the century.:okay:

I also rode alongside the Severn and out through Upton Magna today on an extended commute:

DSC0002583.jpg

Preparations for the Flower Show continue.

DSC0002584.jpg

Shrewsbury School

DSC0002585.jpg

A sign the summer is moving on - the lime trees are dropping their seed pods everywhere.

Last edited:
Well done @andytheflyer I am just beginning to plan my first imperial century so found your ride inspiring . planning on attemtting it this month I will keep you all posted

Thx. Eating and drinking is your friend - as others with more big rides than me will confirm. After about 2 hours your muscles run dry - so you need to begin eating and drinking much earlier - and keep it up until you are near the end. Home made flapjack, wine gums/jelly babies and the SIS made-up drinks work for me. Took me a while to find a routine that works for me so make sure you have enough miles to find out what works for you.

Now I really am off to bed!

You called? :hello:

I also rode alongside the Severn and out through Upton Magna today on an extended commute:

View attachment 98252
A sign the summer is moving on - the lime trees are dropping their seed pods everywhere.

:hello:

It was way too cold to sit on the benches by the river to re-fuel in short sleeve shirt and shorts (even at 1100) - so I stopped by the church in Uffington instead and read the gravestones (a hobby of mine!)

Top Bottom