Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another run today, 2 PB's

Fastest up the hill in the 1st mile, the fastest 3 mile run.

Running4.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual.

I was up at 05:30, which is very very early (for me) to meet up with a mate for a ride around Pitsford Reservoir and some of the other local bridleways and lanes.
With a bit of drizzle blowing in the wind, I arrived a bit early at our rendezvous point of the Dam Wall, so I thought I'd do a quick circuit of 9 miles and be back in time at 08:00. As I stopped to take a few pics I was about 5 minutes late, but, hey.. What the heck :tongue:

DSC_1744.JPG

After meeting up, we rode another circuit of the Res and then up Merry Tom Lane to the old A50 where we were hoping to find a bridleway to extend the off -road ride for a mile or so. Unfortunately, we couldn't spot one nearby (the A50 is not a pleasant road to ride as it's quite fast and narrow: a proper 'old style' A road!)
As I had to think of getting home, we aimed back to his house for a coffee before I did my last 10 or 12 miles along the Washlands and Lings Woods to home in time for lunch.

40 miles on the Marin, and back in time to go to w*rk.. Booooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/355038655

:smile:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yesterday, the first day of my now-aborted tour :sad:

After taking 8 hours to cover 20 miles, I now know what the planners consider to be good bridleways.

They aren't. The first 10 miles were absolutely fine, rideable BW's and everything was happy despite the constant drizzle. Then I arrived at Hardknott Pass where the route hits another bridleway after the first cattle grid. I slipped and nearly broke my leg crossing the stream, then had to climb up the large slippery boulders at the start (dragging 20kg of bike up with me). Then it was walking the bike up 20%+ slopes, where I had hopes of being able to ride again.

No, I had to drag the bike through bogs, more unrideable stuff, and finally got to a river crossing. It was a load of boulders dotted across a fast, deep river with a metal cable to hang on to. Getting the bike across that was not going to happen, so I had to fight my way up the river side for about a mile to get to a small bridge that at least got me back to some road.

Now I just had to get over Walna Scar Road. More pushing and climbing up 20%+, it took ages to get to the top, where at least it's downhill all the way to Coniston. A bit more walking and climbing down, but made Coniston just before the chippy closed, and called for rescue.

There will be more of that kind of country to cross and I have seriously underestimated it. If I'm going to do an off-road C2C again, it will not be by this route, it needs a lot of changes to make it rideable for mortals. Having to walk 10 miles out of 20 is not my idea of a cycling holiday.

I'm now planning some road routes to link up the other hotels, so at least that money isn't wasted.

https://www.strava.com/activities/355745093

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

After taking 8 hours to cover 20 miles, I now know what the planners consider to be good bridleways.

They aren't. The first 10 miles were absolutely fine, rideable BW's and everything was happy despite the constant drizzle. Then I arrived at Hardknott Pass where the route hits another bridleway after the first cattle grid. I slipped and nearly broke my leg crossing the stream, then had to climb up the large slippery boulders at the start (dragging 20kg of bike up with me). Then it was walking the bike up 20%+ slopes, where I had hopes of being able to ride again.

No, I had to drag the bike through bogs, more unrideable stuff, and finally got to a river crossing. It was a load of boulders dotted across a fast, deep river with a metal cable to hang on to. Getting the bike across that was not going to happen, so I had to fight my way up the river side for about a mile to get to a small bridge that at least got me back to some road.

Now I just had to get over Walna Scar Road. More pushing and climbing up 20%+, it took ages to get to the top, where at least it's downhill all the way to Coniston. A bit more walking and climbing down, but made Coniston just before the chippy closed, and called for rescue.

There will be more of that kind of country to cross and I have seriously underestimated it. If I'm going to do an off-road C2C again, it will not be by this route, it needs a lot of changes to make it rideable for mortals. Having to walk 10 miles out of 20 is not my idea of a cycling holiday.

I'm now planning some road routes to link up the other hotels, so at least that money isn't wasted.

What a shame :sad:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes

Aint that the buggers. Sorry to hear about it. :sad:

Fubar

Guru

Sorry to hear that Mike, hope you still get some riding in.

that's the spirit. hope to hear some better news and photos later in the day/week.:okay:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well I set off at 8am to do my usual 65 mile training run. However I got bogged down in traffic on the South Circular and in Bromley so by the time I made it to Biggin Hill I didn't think I'd have a comparable time for the whole run so decided to potter a bit. My usual refreshment stop:
2015-07-28 09.09.50.jpg

There's a new cycle cafe opened just off to the left of this picture but it looked a bit ponsy. I even stopped at Hever for a change:
2015-07-28 09.40.33.jpg

Then lo and behold I found a castle:
2015-07-28 09.56.00.jpg

If anyone knows someone who has lost a castle or who is having difficulty finding one, please let me know.

All in all a great day to be out in the Weald and in the end I did pull back my time to a respectable 4 hrs 6 mins for 65.6 miles.

And further good news for North Kent peeps, they are going to resurface Polhill in August.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Haven't done any hills for a few weeks and felt I needed to get a quick loop in with some lumps prior to RideLondon. Felt slow and lumpy and fat, and made me a little concerned about Sunday, not helped with some occasionally blustery winds, especially right in the face after the first switchback on Box Hill.

Surprisingly got good times up those hills, even though my legs weren't giving me much hope, my 3rd best up Box Hill, and a PB up How Lane, which is a short and not massively difficult hill, but I hate it, as do my legs. Was quite happy with the results, but I do need to eat better this week.

Also saw some preparation for our alien overlords arrival, or RideLondon on Sunday, at Box Hill (or it's always been there and I'm blind, equally possible).

MCy4blYl.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/355918752

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

A like for telling us about it but :sad: for having to abandon the planned route.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got wet on the way in to work today.:rain: It was dry when I got the bike out, started to drizzle lightly as I put the panniers on, then the heavens opened once I was a mile from home. The rain cape has earned its keep this morning but obviously doesn't cover my feet so I had to put up with damp shoes all day. :thumbsdown:

Not many cyclists about for some reason :scratch: but I did spot a hare which was nice.

Windy on the way back (now that's never happened before :whistle:) so I was very slow and that combined with a very inconsiderate pass less than quarter of a mile from home (by a uniformed nurse no less ) left me a little frustrated by the end of the ride. Finding that a packet with a couple of CycleChat T-shirts had arrived has cheered me up again though.^_^

Another 21.3 miles added to the tally. 12.8 mph average for what it's worth.

gavgav

Guru
Got wet on the way in to work today.:rain: It was dry when I got the bike out, started to drizzle lightly as I put the panniers on, then the heavens opened once I was a mile from home. The rain cape has earned its keep this morning but obviously doesn't cover my feet so I had to put up with damp shoes all day. :thumbsdown:

Not many cyclists about for some reason :scratch: but I did spot a hare which was nice.

Windy on the way back (now that's never happened before :whistle:) so I was very slow and that combined with a very inconsiderate pass less than quarter of a mile from home (by a uniformed nurse no less ) left me a little frustrated by the end of the ride. Finding that a packet with a couple of CycleChat T-shirts had arrived has cheered me up again though.^_^

Another 21.3 miles added to the tally. 12.8 mph average for what it's worth.
Fair play for venturing out in that, It's horrid out there and judging by the forecast likely to be 30mph winds for the foreseeable future. I think my bike may be going into hibernation for a while!

Cricket nets tonight took place in 10c temperatures according to my pretty accurate car thermometer. :cold:

Top Bottom