Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Yesterday, the first day of my now-aborted tour :sad:

After taking 8 hours to cover 20 miles, I now know what the planners consider to be good bridleways.

They aren't. The first 10 miles were absolutely fine, rideable BW's and everything was happy despite the constant drizzle. Then I arrived at Hardknott Pass where the route hits another bridleway after the first cattle grid. I slipped and nearly broke my leg crossing the stream, then had to climb up the large slippery boulders at the start (dragging 20kg of bike up with me). Then it was walking the bike up 20%+ slopes, where I had hopes of being able to ride again.

No, I had to drag the bike through bogs, more unrideable stuff, and finally got to a river crossing. It was a load of boulders dotted across a fast, deep river with a metal cable to hang on to. Getting the bike across that was not going to happen, so I had to fight my way up the river side for about a mile to get to a small bridge that at least got me back to some road.

Now I just had to get over Walna Scar Road. More pushing and climbing up 20%+, it took ages to get to the top, where at least it's downhill all the way to Coniston. A bit more walking and climbing down, but made Coniston just before the chippy closed, and called for rescue.

There will be more of that kind of country to cross and I have seriously underestimated it. If I'm going to do an off-road C2C again, it will not be by this route, it needs a lot of changes to make it rideable for mortals. Having to walk 10 miles out of 20 is not my idea of a cycling holiday.

I'm now planning some road routes to link up the other hotels, so at least that money isn't wasted.

https://www.strava.com/activities/355745093
Those routes sound challenging for a walker, never mind a cyclist! Hope things improve.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
4.3 miles today, to University. I was thinking I was going to have to scrub today's commute, as it was in the 90'sF with high humidity, but a huge thunderstorm replete with several small gust funnels and torrents of rain and huge winds ripped through mid-afternoon, cooling things to the mid-70's F.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
OH got fed up with me moping around the house, "it's not 4 yet, go for a ride". So I did.

It was quite busy along the canal, naturally enough, on a warm day so the cycling was quite slow. As I approached Berkhamstead I spotted this heron, I've never seen one in this position before. As I got out the camera and prepared to gently approach I realised there was a runner approaching from the other direction.

1.JPG

But I managed to get a shot in flight. Fair dos, he did apologise.

2.JPG

This is the annoyance on this stretch, not quite sure why it's there, hopefully the narrowboat will pull it down when it leaves.

3.JPG

Plenty of wildlife in Berko, these geese were blocking the path tho'.

4.JPG

And this family were feeding the moorhens, the chicks had to compete with the adults, one of whom made off with a sizeable crust.

5.JPG

Further along the rural nature competes with the railway, and those intercity trains make a lot of noise!

6.JPG

Along this stretch there are a steps up to the locks, not sure how they managed to get the horses up them.

7.JPG

And the Cowroast marina doesn't just accommodate boats. There's a BMW dealer not far away.

8.JPG

This is the entrance to the marina, the bridge is a bit nasty to cycle over, I chose to walk it and even then nearly came a cropper on the return journey.

8a.JPG

After Cowroast the path gets rather unpleasantly narrow for a bit but then drops down into a cutting past Aldbury and becomes a much more pleasant ride

9.JPG

Continued below - this was the 10 photo limit.

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Part 2

Indeed it was comfortable riding for a bit, at least as far as the surface was concerned, with only a few boats moored.

This is the 10 mile from home point, the point at which I decided to turn for home, having achieved my objective, from November, to make it to Tring. OK, Tring is a mile away, but this is as near as the canal gets. The view is of the bit I've yet to do, I had to use the granny gear to get the bike up onto the bridge.

10.JPG

The bike looks as tired as I felt, and I had to get home yet.

11.JPG

Did someone say light, shadow and bike? This was a welcome break as some walkers passed the lock.

12.JPG

And back into Berkhamstead, where the swans and cygnets cooperated for once.

13.JPG

The ride back, while being a lot quieter, was not without incident. As I approached the last stretch I saw a group of runners approaching, as they got closer I saw what I thought was 4 or 5 was actually 9 or ten, and only the leading group. A veritable peloton! There seemed two main groups, the men in front and the women behind, with a lady who was clearly a beginner trailing at the rear. My last stretch I staggered up from the canal to the traffic lights on the road, cycled off and changing up on the front from the gears I was using on the canal. Strange that, I wasn't going very fast. The chain had overshifted, first time in ages, and pedalling was proving pointless! Thankyou SNSSO, the derailler does help to put the chain back on!

20miles max 16, avg 6.8 mph. Year to date, 227.9miles

Today is a rest day, except it's not with the grandchildren here.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
For reasons that will quickly become obvious, this is about yesterday's ride.

Now that my teacher friend Dan has been set loose, we went on a pub cycle-crawl of Suffolk. We completed about 40 miles in just under twelve hours ....

Ipswich-Charsfield-Framlingham-Melton-Woodbridge-Ipswich

This out near Culpho:

Ride with Dan 001.JPG

This low rainbow near Framlingham:

Ride with Dan 003.JPG

And the menace that blew down upon us.

Ride with Dan 005.JPG

We ended up at The Angel Inn in Woodbridge (home of Europe's largest selection of gins). I forget which brand this one was - but I had several ... :thumbsup:

Ride with Dan 006.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Back from holidays and after two days at work I had a day off cycling buddy also off work so a ride was called for .So out with the defy which felt weird after two weeks on my hybrid in Cornwall . Set off from Anstey to meeting point on Swithland lane Rothley out through Cropston then I played strava segment chasing . Segment millionaire row was attacked and I was rewarded with 10th of all time ^_^. I know it's a silly game but I enjoy it .Met up with mate and settled into a gentler pace .Off through Swithland and turned back to towards the rear off Bradgate Park . Went through the park which was still quiet so really nice ride in beautiful scenery .At Newtown Linford we turned right and headed to Ulverscoft turned left onto Ulverscoft lane at the T junction we turned right up the climb of Priory lane up and over then left at the crossroads to beacon crossroads .Right up Beacon hill the easy way then down the fast descent into Woodhouse Eaves , After a near fall on a descent in Cornwall last week I didn't really push it but still hit 39.7 mph . Into Quorn and over the river into Barrow upon Soar then onto Sileby were mate turned for home .I headed off to chase some more miles to do another metric half century .Im doing the half century yearly challenge and I now find I can't do 20 miles rides it has to be 32 miles its all @ColinJ fault for suggesting the challenge.So out the back of Sileby heading for Ratcliffe on wreake turned down humble lane into Cossington the Rothley and Cropston .At the T junction I checked the milage done left turn short way would love me short so right and back to Bradgate Park . The park was now quite busy so a slow ride enjoying the park at Newtown Linford this time it was left to home .32.2 miles done at14 mph . Set of this morning in shorts and short sleeves and it was cold its suppose to be summer .sun finally came out half way round. Got home and washed both bikes the hybrid was in desperate need of TLC after two weeks in Cornwall being abused off road . Both bikes now cleaned and oiled ^_^

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Went over to Sigma Sports to pick up my 3.5mm Cannondale bar tape I'd ordered to replace the rubbish tape Pearsons had put on my bike when they serviced it, and tried to blag them to fit it for me, but as they were booked up with jobs the best I got was a promise they would do it tomorrow.

So with a 50/50 defeat/success under my belt, I rode back home, only to get utterly soaked through by a little shower that timed it to perfection.

LBX0KJTl.jpg

Mh3if7Tl.jpg

Saw the barriers up for RideLondon 2015 in Richmond Park.....getting excited now! :wahhey::bicycle:

63ufZKZl.jpg

Hoping the current weather reports are correct and Sunday will be a nice clear warm(ish) day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/356727037

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Having had a crap day, black dog nipping at my heels, I have not felt like doing anything. Not walking, gymming or riding.
This evening, half 9ish, I said to Hubster. 'lets go for a little ride'. So we did.

I couldn't face going far but thought that I would try at least.
We rode off down Bluebell, headed to the city via the Newmarket Road right into the top of St Stephens then went left along Chapelfield Road, past the old city walls and then left and along Earlham Road to the 5 ways roundabout (unbeknown to me I got a PB on a strava segment that I didn't know was there) and then home again.
7.5 miles in 34 minutes or so and it was quite nice. I'll try and do a proper ride tomorrow as I am not at guitar academy tomorrow. I've put my foot down with a firm hand for once. He will have to do without me for the afternoon.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I rode about 1 mile this day, checking out a (now my) 1973 coffee colored Raleigh Sports, which I bought from a restorer I know in a trailer park over by town. A very enjoyable ride. I will soon make many more rides on this fine steed. Craigslist post picture here, better ones to follow. Large frame, great condition, what's not to love? Original Brooks saddle included.
00Z0Z_3Nc1IMe3JUR_300x300.jpg

Top Bottom