Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

discominer

Punishment pass, followed by being manhandled off the road and bike. Range Rover twat.

BSRU

A Human Being
A short 50km with 450m of going up, nice and quick but not the route I intended due to thick fog:ohmy:.
Clear at the bottom of the climb but at the top less than 100 metres visibility.
C0002(1).jpg

Some home made cake to replenish glycogen stores:smile:.

Mattonsea

Über Member
With last weeks manflu mysteriously morphing into a sore swollen knee today was my first proper ride this week so I decided to give the knee a rest & take a flat route down to the seaside for a change.

The planned route took me to the southern side of the New Forest, past Beaulieu & through Brockenhurst before taking in some roads I hadn't ridden before down to Barton-on-Sea where lunch was taken looking out across the Solent.

Continuing with the theme of places beginning with the letter B, the return journey saw the pesky south westerly turn into a tailwind & I headed back into the forest, through Bransgore, Burley & Bolderwood for home & a very pleasant 63 miles & at the moment no complaints from said knee!

https://www.strava.com/activities/358658930

View attachment 98513
Looking across the Solent to the Isle of Wight with The Needles to the right.

View attachment 98515
Nice new tarmac on the road from Bransgore to Burley in the beautiful New Forest.

View attachment 98516
Burleys war memorial, note the number of cycles lined up on the left.

View attachment 98517
Taking a break at Bolderwood.

View attachment 98518
And todays wildlife pic.
You must of passed our gaff , kettle was on :cuppa:

Booyaa

Veteran
Cycled through the town I grew up in today, glad I left. Lots of buckfast emeralds all over route 76 and wasters with carrier bags hanging around in the park. Passed the Falkirk stadium on the way home, Tom Jones is performing tonight. Forgot my Strava recording device. Nice evening all the same.
Standard for Falkirk? Grew up there and glad I got out.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Standard for Falkirk? Grew up there and glad I got out.
Like every town, it has it's areas. I live outside the town and love it.
I left when I was 21 and lived in Norfolk, Manchester and London. I returned 'home' in 1999 due to a divorce and not being able to live on my own with 4 kids, in London.

ScotiaLass

Guru
14.3 miles before breakfast.
The older lad decided he wanted to go out early (and before the predicted rain arrived) so we organised to wake at 6.30am and be out by 7am.
We did the usual loop with a detour around the Falkirk Wheel due to not being sure if the swing bridge would be open before 8am.
We kept up a fair pace and stopped once, at Lock 16, so I could eat my banana :smile:

20150802_074045.png

A banana stop at Lock 16

Then it was on and upwards to the Union canal and a nice run home.
The cygnets were waiting for us at the other end of the Falkirk Tunnel but I had nothing for them today.
They made me feel guilty!

20150802_081149.png

5 of the 7 babies that made me feel guilty!

It was a nice run and good to get out before the hoards of visitors arrive!
I washed the MTB when I got back as it was filthy from Fridays trails and todays puddles :smile:
Then I showered and had breakfast.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
23 miles all done by 7.15 am it has to be one of the best things out riding early

Renmurew

Veteran
I was out by 8 am this morning and clocked my longest cycle of just over 40 miles in 3hrs 7 mins which pushed my average speed to 13 mph over the distance, which is also my highest average speed....so well chuffed. Lovely morning but clouded over about half way. No rain, for once, and a very welcome coffee and bacon roll on my return home :bicycle:

Wendy

D

Deleted member 1258

Mappleborough Green the destination 56 miles the journey. Numpty count 1, me, there was a Dave tarmac interface on the way out this morning, prat fall no serious damage, I've got a skinned elbow and a bruised hip and my nice new Eastway has a scraped brake lever, bottom of the climb to the Hockley Heath road I went to shift to the inner ring and it shifted straight through and off the inside leaving me with no drive, I couldn't get a foot down quick enough and I gracefully toppled on my side. Up until then it had been a good ride, my usual route out of Coventry through malfunction junction and through Tile Hill to Balsal Common, and on past the Honely Boot to Hatton, the other side of Hatton I turned left for Lowsenford, the other side of Lowenford I turned down Pig Trot Lane then the left and right to turn down Gentlemans lane then left thorough Ullenhall to pick up the main road into Mappleborough Green. On the way back I followed my wheel tracks back to the top of Pig Trot Lane turned right then left towards Hockly Heath, half way down the lane I turned right then left and right across the main road onto Wharf Lane then right and left across the main road and headed past Packwood House and Badersly Clinton and into Balsal Common then across the City Home. Strange morning cool enough for longs and a long sleeve jersey, it seemed still but there was a little bit of a breeze to make it hard work, by the time I left the Cafe it had warmed up and the breeze had got stronger, the long sleeve jersey went in the saddle bag for the ride home. It would have been a good ride if the fall hadn't spoilt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveF

Wasn't going to go out today as I did a decent distance yesterday (well for me anyway!). However, it was so nice and I had a bit of time on my hands so I decided to go out. Am rather pleased with myself as there is a hill around here that I have been avoiding for a while (probably more pimple than hill for some of you guys), chose to do it today and for the first time ever I got to the top without stopping.... bit blinking knackered at the top :sweat: but a nice decent to recover..

Langdon Hill.png

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I took Eric out for a blat today. I love him so much and have just passed the 600 mile mark on him since buying him just before Christmas last year. That's quite good mileage for my 'winter off roader'. It being Sunday 'cake' day today we cleared off up the Marriott's Way and got a good 5 miles or so before my back tyre went all flat. There was a 'mile marker' thing in view so we walked to it, used it as a seat and got on with repairing and changing. Hubster got the tyre off pdq and handed me the old 'tube in exchange for the new one. He got on with de thorning the tyre and checking for more, putting the new tube in, while I fixed the old one, checked it and then squashed all the air out ready for folding up neatly to go back in my little saddlebag. 5 minutes, done and dusted.
On we went to Whitwell playing the 'foreign tourist' game. For the first few miles we were Spanish and greeted everyone with 'Hola buenos dias' and 'gracias' for people who moved. Our Spanish is not good enough for 'passing on the right/left' so we resorted to being French for a few yards and then reverted to Spanish.
After a while we were German, switching to French for passing people and then had a quick flirtation with Czech but have forgotten far to much so we became Italians with lots of 'Ciao's all over the place.
At Whitwell, Hubster said that he didn't want to ride the loop so we rode into Reepham for him to find a cashpoint, I grabbed the repair kit from him and headed off to Reepham Station and that side of the loop and rode the loop anti-clockwise, which is a first for me. I have never ever ridden it that way before and it was interesting as I noticed so much more as it was less familiar.
I stopped at the 16 mile marker.
Here is Eric looking at the fields, having a breather while I took photos.
Eric%20enjoying%20the%20view%20598x800.jpg
The markers are all old bits of railway track and whatnot made into sculpture, there are pictures on most of them
16%20mile%20marker%20598x800.jpg
This is where we were about to carry on along, heading back to Whitwell.
16%20miles%20on%20the%20loop%20598x800.jpg
The terrain on the loop is a bit mixed, mostly narrow. I did take a pic of a badger sett but it didn't come out very well. I couldn't get high enough for a good view. There are gravelly bits, muddy beyond belief bits, sandy bits and quite quick hard and level bits. I got round 7th according to Strava. 7th of what it doesn't say but I'm thinking Women over 50 probably.

At Whitwell there was a steam fair going on, with traction engines, trains and all sorts but we were allowed up on the platform to use the cafe and loos. There were a lot of cyclists there, we found a bit of space on the 'waiting room' bench and chatted to other cyclists, while drinking coffee and stuffing carrot cake.
We met a lovely family, with 4 kids. They used to have a Dutch Cargo bike with seats in the carrier bit for the small kids but they are all a bit bigger now so have their own bikes. The lady did have a double tag-a-long for her twins at one point. She said that was quite hard work.

The 11 mile ride home was uneventful. We stopped at a bridge over the stream and played Poo Sticks, as you do. Here is Eric enjoying the view.
Eric%20at%20the%20slow%20poo%20sticks%20bridge%20598x800.jpg
Eric and I chose the best and fastest stick.

Home via Costessey and finishing up with 30.19 miles on the Garmin, in 2:41:00 riding time.
I have Strava now so I can put that link up. https://www.strava.com/activities/359510796
Please, someone friend me. I'm a bit lonely.

Top Bottom