Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been away for a while. My riding has become rather mundane for the time being, I'm limited to 30 minutes or so a day at the moment on medical advice. I have had a couple of nice rides though, having spent a week in the New Forest. Both family rides starting at Sandy Balls Campsite, Godshill. The first took us across the forest to Fritham where we had a fab pub lunch, 12 miles at 5mph, and the other a 7 mile loop through Abbotswell, similar pace. Loved it.
On route to Fritham.jpg

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Clear sunny skys here too as I set off towards my favourite location of Wiltshire for the first time in over a month & with a plan to explore a few more new roads.

The journey across the forest to get there was glorious in the sun with just a gentle cooling breeze, however my mood was somewhat saddened when I passed a grazing cow with something stuck in its mouth! Concerned, I turned round to investigate & found it had a plastic fizzy drinks bottle, discarded by some pea-brained halfwit who couldn't be arsed to take it home , wedged between its teeth, so with a coaxing said bottle was released & the cow & I continued on our way.

Heading through Alderholt, Martin & up the Howgare Road climb it was then onto the new roads that I had planned through the pretty villages of Mead End & Bowerchalke & included a half mile 11% climb, just what I needed on a hot day!

Lunch was duly taken at the top whilst admiring the views & watching the farmers busy harvesting before heading back along the country lanes through Fifield Bavant, Broad Chalke, Rockbourne & Fordingbridge for a very pleasant, although somewhat warm 73 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/364135086

002.JPG

A glorious New Forest in the sun today...........

& plenty of Wiltshire countryside.
004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Yesterday's ride was an out and back on the Forth and Clyde canal track. After four hours on the Defy on Thursday I decided to have a little comfort and take the Roam hybrid out and hammer right over the rough surfaces. Went from Falkirk to Kilsyth and back with a short break sitting on a fence eating Kendal mint cake. A nice tailwind on the return meant I got a few Strava PB's. Lots of cyclists out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/363336035
Sorry no photos :sad:

Edit. Went for a 5k run later to justify more cake:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/363557126

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up early(ish) and out for a spin on the Boardman Road Comp. I wanted to get 20+ miles in for the first time since my knee problems started, so today was about that rather than out and out speed.

Up Coal Road and out along Skeltons Lane. Treated to a very wide pass from a Harrogate & District bus,although not so enamored with an unnecessarily close pass from a Citroen Berlingo...
Then down onto the drops for the rapid descent into Thorner - what a lumpy, bumpy section of road this is though.:hyper: Fortunately my fillings survived, so through the village and up the hill towards Bramham Park, where they were busy setting up for the Leeds Festival. A new top speed (35.6mph) set down into the dip at Wothersome, combined with a much slower ascent up the other side - although I did overtake someone! ;)
Then the downhill run into Bramham, where I stopped to refuel and take a pic.
IMG_20150808_090739025~2.jpg

Back across the A1(M) bridge and started heading up towards Boston Spa. I decided to carry the bike up onto the footbridge over the A1(M) for Clifford to get onto NCN R66 as the section between there and Boston Spa is part farm track and I wasn't on the bike for that today.
A suitably speedy return to Bramham down the smoothly tarmac'd cycle route, continuing down into the village and then the climb up Town Hill past the Swan pub. I've always found this climb a challenge but it seemed easier today, so maybe I am doing something right? :laugh:
Then looped round the top of the village and back onto the road parallel to the meandering NCN R66 and the cruise down to Bramham cross roads (apparently it's an 'interchange' now) and then the largely downhill run into Aberford, where I got a pleasing turn of speed up and overtook someone else (two people in one day? Unheard of! :laugh: )
The a right after crossing Cock Beck towards Barwick in Elmet. Passed a mixed peleton heading the other way, all very friendly and cheery, then along the undulations of Cattle Lane and the quick descent down to the bridge and the uphill run into Barwick.
Through the village and on to Scholes, where I met that blooming headwind again.It seems that there is a permanent wind against you on this run - one day there will be an easterly making my life a bit easier...:heat:
Down Leeds Rd and checking the odometer, i wasn't sure if I was quite going to reach 20 miles, so turned off down Pendas Way and put in an extra loop up Manston Lane and then through Pendas Fields to make sure before heading up to home.

21.99 miles (bike computer says 22.1 miles but Map My Ride has a difference of opinion) in 1hr 29m at an average of 14.7mph, with 811ft climbed on an absolutely glorious sunny summers day. taking it steady seems to have paid off as the knees are OK so far. :okay:

Gutted though that MMR hasn't synced properly and although this ride is listed within workouts, it isn't showing on the front page and none of the 'courses' on route have registered so I've no idea if I've improved on any of them. :angry:

PS - still not cleaned the hybrid - well, i'm probably going out on it tomorrow, so it will only need doing again...:whistle:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@cosmicbike sandy balls? Really?

I fancied a bit of a change this week and I've not seen Mrs Dave much of late as she's been working all over Europe for the past few weeks so she came with me in the car with our bikes to the nicely named village of Little Snoring in Norfolk.
We parked by the beautiful old church and set off for Great Snoring. The roads were filled with pheasant pancakes, some were a bit smelly!
The countryside was really nice, and harvesting was in full swing.
We made our way to the Walsingham villages, every house and cottage a vision of flint and roses.
On through quiet and silky smooth lanes until we reached New Holkham, a quick shimmy through the gates and we were of down his Graces drive
image.jpg

Traffic free loveliness , I had to go some to catch up to her after this pic, and eventually I did
image.jpg

Then we came into the park, people were having a nice time in the sun, biking, dog walking, picnics, it was great.
image.jpg

We stopped at the hall for tea, 17 miles down.
Out and about today we saw 2 marsh harriers 1 kestrel, 1 Sparrowhawk, 12 buzzards and 3 red kites. The kites were just over our heads hanging about with a pair of buzzards, no fighting, no shouting!
We made our way past Wells and onto more deserted silky roads. By now we were on higher ground and could see the ranks of wind turbines miles out at sea.

On we went back to the car. Today wasn't about speed, it was all about being out having a good day with your best mate ever. Once back at the car my Garmin turned to 30 miles exactly!

http://www.strava.com/activities/364165198/segments/8689044920

Mrs Dave, she's really capable at this....

image.jpg

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Spartak