Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2.7 miles to Bromley. I'll be making the return soon.

I'll post my Strava data up here tonight ^_^
You'll be finished, FINISHED I TELLS YA.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
You'll be finished, FINISHED I TELLS YA.
It nearly bloody did... ride time up from 8:30 (m:ss) to 9:15 (m:ss) caused by a broken down bus at the foot of the daunting Col Du Westmoreland... Who put that bloody thing there?

Have had to stop for sustenance; now I have an awkward decision... the 400 yard direct route home, or 500 yards and a stop for oven chips? Decisions, decisions...

Attachments

• IMG_20150911_164400783.jpg
    IMG_20150911_164400783.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20150911_164825578.jpg
    IMG_20150911_164825578.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 37

BSRU

A Human Being
Managed my 15th 100km+ ride of the year, three times as many as last year^_^.

A total 107km with 1300m of going up, giving an average of 12m per km:sweat:.
The hardest part wast the first 40km, into a strong wind on roads which either go up or go down(mostly up), over 16m per km for the first 40km:sweat::sweat::tired:.
Still a nice 8km fast downhill section after that and then pretty much tailwind all the way home, which was nice:okay:.

C0122(1).jpg
C0122(2).jpg

A little bit of downhill just before the final climb in the first 40km section, it's only a cat 4:tongue:.
C0122(4).jpg

Started recovery with a very large piece of Genoa cake:hungry:, with all that dried fruit it must count to one of my five a day:tongue:.
Also had two 2.5km rides taking the kids to school on their bikes, first time for the youngest:bicycle:.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Got up around 5.30am as Mr Blackbird was giving it some beans and I was full of energy.

Had to go and do some business stuff till 2pm and when I got home I was dismayed to find that my energy had upped sticks and buggered off someplace else.

Heroically forced myself onto bike and tbh it didn't feel good all the way round - had to go out on the beast as tomorrow I am at Goodison to see if we can pick up some points from The Toffees and Sunday I am off hiking in The Fells and Monday business has its claws into me again. Upshot is; Tuesday is my next riding opportunity.

Numbers: 17.55 Miles @ 14.5 mph av' and 974' ascent.

Profile of my 'miserable but at least I got out and did it' ride:

NB: I think the flat bits must be the privacy thingy in action? The house is at 372' - presume it gets credited in the stat's.

110915.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A ride out to watch the Tour of Britain....headwinds, tailwinds, peanut butter sandwiches and a wheelsucker

Forecast was really good so I planned a ride over the Snake Pass to Hathersage, do a bit of a loop to do another climb, find a good spot on the KoM and then back over the Snake Home

Except the weather from the off wasn't good at all. Going up the Snake it was cloudy, poor visibility near the top, a miserable 20moh headwind and it was only 10 degrees. Over by the Ladybower reservoir I started to see other road cyclists and by the time I got to Hathersage there were loads. Did a ride up the Abney climb; about 7.5km but only 3% average. Back to Hathersage and rode up the hill out of the back of the village which was the first "Skoda KoM" in Stage 6 of the Tour of Britain. In truth, it's not a hard climb; about 2.5km @ 6% and I tried to look cool and relaxed cycling past the roadside spectators

Got a good spot close to the top

20150911_124448.jpg

Tucked into my peanut butter sandwiches (I managed a reasonably fast ride last week powered by these. I'm persisting with them to see whether they are the nirvana of cycling nutrition or not)

The first two groups were racing hard up the climb, no chitter chatter, full race faces. Here's Ian Stannard

20150911_124804_7.jpg

And here (I think) is Boasen-Hagen, the race leader
20150911_124805_12.jpg

The Grupetto finally came through 20 minutes later, chatting and obviously enjoying a rather more relaxed day's cycling in the Peak District. Time to head back over the Snake, this time with a nice tailwind the whole way. I got to Bamford and became aware of someone riding close behind me. So I put a bit more effort in....and he speeded up too. No problem, I'll slow down slightly, he'll get the message and come through and take a turn. Not a bit of it. He remained on my back wheel for about 8 miles; all the lower slopes of the Snake. As soon as the gradient increased (and I slowed) he shot past me and that was that. Bit impolite

Faaaaast descent off the Snake to Glossop; managed 53mph which was a bit unnerving as it was only top dressed a month or so ago

55 miles, 4,900ft of climbing. Good day out

Saluki

World class procrastinator
2 rides today.
https://www.strava.com/activities/390030259
Utility ride to the N&N to meet Hubster from dialysis before going off dog walking.
Had a brilliant spin down the road and a PR, I think, along the Watton Road.

Later in the day I did a quick ride to Attlebridge
https://www.strava.com/activities/390030346
What a bloody palaver that was.
The PX CX had a flat back tyre so Hubster changes it but that innertube has a dodgy valve (straight in the bin with it) and then the next tube went down. Then we found another CX fat tube and put that in. While I changed into longs instead of shorts - the temp had dropped in the time all the faffing took - that tube went down so I think that there might still be something in that tyre. Hubster says 'take the Whyte'. So I did. We dropped the seat a couple on inches and I rode off to Attlebridge on the mahoosive Whyte Kings Cross. The bars are really wide, after my nice little 40cm bars on my CX, they are also about 9 feet in front of the saddle. Talking of saddles, that is the most horriblest, uncomfiest thing I have ever sat on. Even worse than that Selle Italia Demonic Pro Gel thing Hubster had once.

The ride was OK, my lights worked beautifully and lit up the tree tunnels. New batteries all around. I didn't take the USB one. It's been charged and it's currently lighting up my desk, while I find out how long a charge lasts. I got 4 PBs on that ride. God knows how as that rattling bike was not a joy to ride, in any way, shape or form. Oh, it needs a gear service as it only has big ring, no little ring. That last climb was hard work, so pleased I came up Oval Road and not Marlpit Hill.

19 miles for the day. One fun ride, the other was interesting. I am not sure that I'm ever going to walk right again after that saddle though. My back and shoulders ache like anything and we only have a shower room. Right now, I'd give money for a hot bath.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Went out just after 2pm to ride the 6 miles or so to the local branch of Toolstation to pick up an angled radiator valve incorporating a drain point, which I'd convinced Mrs Poacher was necessary to stop the central heating system from losing pressure. This was actually true, as the firm who fitted our boiler had ignored the fitted but inconveniently positioned drain cock and disconnected the kitchen radiator valve in order to drain the system, and caused a leak in the process. Their skills in other areas left something to be desired as well. But I digress, just as I did on the way home. Despite an excruciating wait in the unanticipated queue, I finally got the part and set off again. Detoured (>slightly!) to the Forest recreation ground in good time for the finish of today's stage of the Tour of Britain. Fantastic finish! My mistake was to hang around for the peleton to finish their prolonged pootle. Returned back home looking rather sheepish at nearly ten to five, to be greeted by "I didn't expect you back this early!".
What worries me is that she seemed sincere!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
More like "your rides this week" this time. It's been commuting miles as usual during the week and here is a brief summary:
Monday - no ride as my legs weren't up to it after the weekend.

Tuesday - Very foggy in the morning. The lights were definitely wanted. On the last stretch to work I encountered a large cycle outing which confirmed my opinion that high-vis is not a substitute for lights in foggy conditions.

Wednesday - A nicer day even though it was still a bit misty in the morning, Being dry weather I used the Raleigh which is always a nice change. There was a brisk easterly wind in the evening which favoured the short route home along the main road and for once everyone was being polite and giving me lots of space. Like that!:thumbsup:

Thursday - A nice day again but I used the knockabout bike and took it on the longer route through The Quarry. This would usually be a good ride but the council has decided in their wisdom to block off and dig up one of the main cycle routes to two large local schools during the first week of term.:wacko: It therefore took a bit longer than usual to negotiate this section and riding against the easterly meant I took about 10 minutes longer getting to work than expected.
By evening I felt like I'd got no energy (possibly an after effect of the big ride at the weekend) so the ride home wasn't that quick even with the wind behind me. I managed 13mph for the round trip but I think that figure flatters me today.:heat: There were loads of other riders about this evening - far more than I generally see at this time on a weekday. Something to do with the Tour of Britain being on perhaps?

Today - I used the Raleigh again and had stonking ride in even against the wind.:hyper: Even better, with the wind behind me again I was able to match the morning pace (14.7 mph average) on the mostly uphill return trip and was the one doing all the overtaking this evening.^_^ Work has been pretty dull for me just lately but at least I'm better off than the guys I passed on the commutes this week who were standing at traffic islands, dressed as Spiderman and advertising a local pizza takeaway.

218 miles done over the last seven days. Not too shabby.

I don't generally bother with photos on the commute but grabbed a few on Thursday:
DSC0002774.jpg

The circus is in town. My sister went to a perfomance last night and would like to know what, apart from the name and a few flags, is so American about it?

DSC0002776.jpg

Starting to look autumnal down by the River Severn.

DSC0002778.jpg

Another view from Victoria Avenue with Kingsland Bridge in the background.

Last edited:
A ride out to watch the finish in Nottingham of The Tour of Britain. Points of interest, the Grantham canal which according to the plaque on a lock, was restored in 2000 was absolutely choked up with vegetation, quite sad. Lovely strong tailwind all the way there. Nottingham was not fun to cycle through, no provision at all for cyclists on the roads I travelled. The park where the race finished was strangely devoid of cyclists for a stage finish.
A helpful marshall held my bike while I took a pic of the finishing straight, he really tried to keep out of shot
6ABFC4F8-E465-4419-8771-A2E43DA8EDA6_zps6boxsodh.jpg

In case you were wondering how team Sky get their washing done
5A2DCB14-24DE-4C49-87BC-31BE5ECA0A77_zpsyla7zfby.jpg

Better include the obligatory shot of some of the race.
Coming down the finishing straight
455E9ED4-8823-46A1-8666-B72B04441A2F_zpsl7hb9yni.jpg

Lovely weather, pity about the headwind going back. Saw a grand total of 2 other cyclists on my return journey, exceedingly odd.

Mike_P

Guru
A ride out to watch the finish in Nottingham of The Tour of Britain.. Nottingham was not fun to cycle through, no provision at all for cyclists on the roads I travelled.

Might have been best if you had looked at http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/cycling

That easterly was nasty, did manage 2 PRs westbound yesterday and my slowest ever time eastbound. Seemed to be devoid of cyclists up here as well yesterday.

Top Bottom