Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Just seeing if the concussion I gave myself on Monday has worn off.

View attachment 110572

View attachment 110573

https://www.strava.com/activities/435996649

About 90 percent better I reckon.:bicycle:

Ouch !! That sort of gift you can manage without. GWS.

Nothing dramatic for me today, another verse of the Otley ricochet in E flat minor. Twenty eight miles of sun and wind followed by wind and rain, you know the song. I think the cleat on my right hand shoe could be positioned better, and my body warmth maintenance could certainly be improved upon, but I had sense enough to turn around when I saw those enormous black clouds the wind was blowing towards me on Weston Lane this morning. The rain they carried did not drop on me until I had reached the Dyneley Arms, and it was the fringe of the cloud rather than the centre. Relief.

Tomorrow somewhere warm please.

Little ride with Val as it was a nice dry bright day,still a bit breezy though and Val struggled a bit as she hasn't been out for a bit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/436019470

Nice sun shimmering on the river at Littleport;

IMG_20151120_130937915_HDR.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A sneaky POETS day ride here this afternoon.

Just a 13 mile circuit around the fen in the late afternoon sun

image.jpeg

Headlake Drove with the new bridge just visible on the horizon. It's a good year in the UK for short eared owl migration - they're here in big numbers now and they come to my patch hereabouts each winter too. I managed to spot a couple as well as a barn owl in the distance from the bridge.

image.jpeg

It's a tranquil spot out on the fen and you can often hear nothing apart from the birds and the wind. This afternoon the silence was only broken by Biggles seemingly attempting to write something in the sky.

image.jpeg

Stopped off at Tubney Fen to watch the starlings come in to roost- always an amazing sight.
Getting chilly in the dark on the way home, gloves on for the first time this Autumn.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
New territory for me today - although @Old jon might think I'm stalking him, having read about his ride above...;)

With another days holiday to use before the year end, I set off just before 8am, with half an idea to head to Otley - heading west instead of the usual north / east.
Up Coal Road and across Wetherby Rd and through Shadwell, then out along Wigton Lane to King Lane, brushing the edge of Golden Acre Park. A little bit hilly this route, I thought, not knowing what was to come.
Then down into Bramhope and a run up the A660 to the Dyneley Arms. Through the lights (on green!) and got myself set up for the long downhill run into Otley when the bloody chain came off again!!!!! Popped back on and on my way for a rapid, if breezy descent. Over the roundabout (not literally) and into Otley.
Past Chevin Cycles (they were still closed, which will have pleased Mrs ND) and through the town centre. Over the River Wharf, still looking very full, but fortunately now back within its banks) and right onto Farnley Lane.
Huge thanks here to the sausage head in an Insignia who despite being in stop start queuing traffic deliberately pulled forward to stop me turning right. :dry:
Stopped in the park by the bowling green overlooking the weir for sustenance, a drink and a photo:
IMG_20151120_01-13-15.jpg

Refreshed, back in the saddle and over the bridge back into Otley, taking a left through the old cattle market and threading through the back streets and onto the A659 towards Pool-in-Wharfedale. Through there and on towards Arthington, with an idea to take a right up Creskeld Lane to climb back up to Bramhope.
However, I missed my turn and after a little way saw a right turn for Black Hill Lane which seemed to be heading in the right direction, even if it did look a bit steep (stop laughing if you know this route...).
The first bit was OK, steadily uphill but the hill in front of me was getting taller at an alarming rate.
I can only compare it to standing at the bottom of the Matterhorn and looking up...
Anyway, here I was and on I pushed. Up it went, steeper and steeper, as slower and slower I went.
On the granny ring approaching what turned out to be the first false summit, where the road curved slightly, then got even steeper. I think I hit 2.3mph at one point before I stalled and had to get off and push for a couple of hundred yards. Even walking was hard work...:heat:
Eventually it went from near vertical to a point where I could remount the bike and get riding again.
Anyway, back on the move and with my speed approaching double figures I finally crested the hill, for a gentle descent past Golden Acre park and then retraced my route as far as Wigton Lane where the heavens well and truly opened.
After hoping for the best for a mile or so I gave up and pulled into a covered walkway in front of the shops at Shadwell to put my waterproof jacket on.
Back on the road again, through Shadwell and back across the A58, then up Coal Road.
Headed out up Skelton Lane, then a quick squirt along the A64, taking the right through Scholes and down Leeds Road (obligatory headwind) and up to home for a very pleasing 32.72 miles in 2hr 15m at an average of 14.5mph and 1564ft climbed. My second metric half century this week and one that was well worth doing.

More importantly, todays ride takes me past 1,000 miles in total on the road bike which I'm really pleased with.

Checking the ascent, it looks like 400ft+ climbed in around a mile, which is definitely a new personal best for me. MapMyRide has it listed as "Black Bull Hill" and amazingly, my effort is currently ranked 21st out of 128! I can only assume that 107 people stopped for a picnic half way up...:laugh:

20112015.jpg

PS - The chain stayed on for the rest of the ride, including the hill of doom, so I'll just put it down to one of those things.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
New territory for me today - although @Old jon might think I'm stalking him, having read about his ride above...;)

With another days holiday to use before the year end, I set off just before 8am, with half an idea to head to Otley - heading west instead of the usual north / east.
Up Coal Road and across Wetherby Rd and through Shadwell, then out along Wighton Lane to King Lane, brushing the edge of Golden Acre Park. A little bit hilly this route, I thought, not knowing what was to come.
Then down into Bramhope and a run up the A660 to the Dyneley Arms. Through the lights (on green!) and got myself set up for the long downhill run into Otley when the bloody chain came off again!!!!! Popped back on and on my way for a rapid, if breezy descent. Over the roundabout (not literally) and into Otley.
Past Chevin Cycles (they were still closed, which will have pleased Mrs ND) and through the town centre. Over the River Wharf, still looking very full, but fortunately now back within its banks) and right onto Farnley Lane.
Huge thanks here to the sausage head in an Insignia who despite being in stop start queuing traffic deliberately pulled forward to stop me turning right. :dry:
Stopped in the park by the bowling green overlooking the weir for sustenance, a drink and a photo:
View attachment 110614
Refreshed, back in the saddle and over the bridge back into Otley, taking a left through the old cattle market and threading through the back streets and onto the A659 towards Pool-in-Wharfedale. Through there and on towards Arthington, with an idea to take a right up Creskeld Lane to climb back up to Bramhope.
However, I missed my turn and after a little way saw a right turn for Black Hill Lane which seemed to be heading in the right direction, even if it did look a bit steep (stop laughing if you know this route...).
The first bit was OK, steadily uphill but the hill in front of me was getting taller at an alarming rate.
I can only compare it to standing at the bottom of the Matterhorn and looking up...
Anyway, here I was and on I pushed. Up it went, steeper and steeper, as slower and slower I went.
On the granny ring approaching what turned out to be the first false summit, where the road curved slightly, then got even steeper. I think I hit 2.3mph at one point before I stalled and had to get off and push for a couple of hundred yards. Even walking was hard work...:heat:
Eventually it went from near vertical to a point where I could remount the bike and get riding again.
Anyway, back on the move and with my speed approaching double figures I finally crested the hill, for a gentle descent past Golden Acre park and then retraced my route as far as Wigton Lane where the heavens well and truly opened.
After hoping for the best for a mile or so I gave up and pulled into a covered walkway in front of the shops at Shadwell to put my waterproof jacket on.
Back on the road again, through Shadwell and back across the A58, then up Coal Road.
Headed out up Skelton Lane, then a quick squirt along the A64, taking the right through Scholes and down Leeds Road (obligatory headwind) and up to home for a very pleasing 32.72 miles in 2hr 15m at an average of 14.5mph and 1564ft climbed. My second metric half century this week and one that was well worth doing.

More importantly, todays ride takes me past 1,000 miles in total on the road bike which I'm really pleased with.

Checking the ascent, it looks like 400ft+ climbed in around a mile, which is definitely a new personal best for me. MapMyRide has it listed as "Black Bull Hill" and amazingly, my effort is currently ranked 21st out of 128! I can only assume that 107 people stopped for a picnic half way up...:laugh:

View attachment 110622
PS - The chain stayed on for the rest of the ride, including the hill of doom, so I'll just put it down to one of those things.

I know that hill rather well, it was known as Black Bull Hill when I was introduced to it. I think I was twelve. Last month I rode down it in a downpour ( sound familiar? ) for the first time in fifty some years. Maybe I will try the ascent again next year. I do agree, the area is well worth riding, when the weather allows a better view.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Rode into town to meet up with my sister for some Xmas shopping, so that's the parents sorted out at least :biggrin:

After that, I headed off down the cycleway to Dalston for a lunchtime snack. Lovely day, cold, but the sun was beaming and I was just out to enjoy the ride, so it was jeans and the old boneshaker, just to try and clear my head after the struggles of the last few weeks.

https://www.strava.com/activities/436539255

The start of the riverside path with the old boneshaker on the left.
23148824976_4098867d80_c.jpg

This is a lovely touch I think :smile:
22546443174_650b35935a_c.jpg

Dalston. A nice chicken, bacon & mozzarella roll went down just lovely.
22547934023_9a542d654f_c.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Two rides today first a mile each way trip to the shops to get fetch some milk for my mum .Slow progress up the hills to mums with 6 litres of milk in the ruck sack . waiting for Santa to deliver a rack and panniers to convert the hybrid into proper utility bike . I think Ive been good this year :angel:
Second ride was a Saturday leg turner this time on the defy . A trip out to Thornton reservoir via Newtown Linford and Markfield and return via Desford , Ratby , Groby and Newtown Linford 16.1 miles done at 15.6 mph . Wind was bitterly cold today :cold: a few other brave cyclists out today

Katherine

Guru
I'm out with a group tomorrow but it was so lovely outside and I didn't get up in time to out early for Christmas shopping, so I snuck in a cheeky ride on the loopline with my camera.

Loopline 1.jpg
Loopline 5.jpg

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/436894206/segments/10503899429

Dear God, it was cold out there tonight. H2H, a similar route to my last ride, on Thursday, but without dropping somethign off in Old Felixstowe and without getting lost. I was a bit impressed with myself.
The BBC said that it was about 3 degrees so I thought that I'd let a bit of air out of the CX tyres for a little more grip so had 65psi in there instead of my usual road riding 80psi. Just in case, like. Getting to the Sausage shop was fine (forgot to look at the time but probably quite slow) and then headed to Kirton and then up Innocence Lane. I'm told the scenary is nice but I've never seen it. I must try riding along there in the daylight.
As soon as I turned, I could see fireworks over towards Martlesham way in the distance. Very pretty they were too. The only time I couldn't see them is when I got to Brightwell and went down the hill. Going back up the other side, I kept my eyes on the pretty bang sticks and it helped getting up the hill.
Just as I got to the road crossing, the final firework went up, with a big bang - I could hear the noise for about 2 miles or so - and it looked like a giant Chrysanthimumn in the sky and it seemed to hang in the sky for a while, a good 10 seconds or so.

From there across the road, along the cycle path by the A12, through Adstral park (without getting lost) and up the cycle path to Martlesham Village and then into Ipswich along the A1214. I could see the sparkly path so slowed down a touch. There seemed to be a lot of trucks on the road tonight so I stayed on the paths.
14.87 miles in an hour and a quarter so averaging about 11.9mph. My feet were frozzen by the time I met Hubster at the hospital. Good timing on that too. I'd just turned my lights off and he turned up. The car said it was -1. That wouldn't suprise me.

I have had soup, toast and a big mug of hot choc. I'll let you know when I've defrosted.

Top Bottom