Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday, a mate and I took the MTB's to Fineshades and Wakerley Woods (at a crossroads on the A43 twixt Corby & Stamford) for a blast round the trails there. We parked on the Fineshades side as the café and safer parking in there then rode across the main road to the Wakerley Wood Scar Tree trail.
The regular bunch of locals have done some really good work there, alongside the Forestry Commission, and the riding is great fun!

DSC_1088.JPG

Some of the berms make for quite rapid descents.

IMG_20150224_131601.JPG

Jacket off time for a short while as it got warmish when the sun came out and the wind subsided. It didn't last for long though!

DSC_0542.JPG

A few surprisingly deep puddles (with submerged roots to fool the unwary!)

DSC_0534.JPG

That'll hold the tackle up nicely... COUGH...

2015-02-24_20-29-12.jpg

The trail on the eastern side of the route is classed as a 'Family Trail', but there are a few Skills Loops to play in every now and then.

A few minutes after we'd got the bikes on the car and headed home, the rain, then sleet and hail pelted down!! Just got finished in time, more by luck than judgement ...

Only 15 miles ridden but it always feels like a lot more due to the style of riding..

https://www.strava.com/activities/259288932#segments

:smile:

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
After having an unusual spot of cramp at the end of yesterdays ride I thought I'd better pop out again today for a quick "fitness test" just to see if there was an underlying injury or whether I was maybe still just a tad dehydrated from the weekends beer excesses. :whistle:

Thankfully it would appear to be the latter as on this almost spring like afternoon I dispensed of the thermal longs for the first time this year & gave the legs an airing around the local lanes of Woodlands, Bartley, Cadnam & Ashurst for a very pleasant 19 miles with not so much as a twinge from the suspect calf so a lesson learned there I think!

https://www.strava.com/activities/259693896

Double ride today although the first was only a quick spin up what goes for a hill around Cambridge;

https://www.strava.com/activities/259574427

And then a commute home(bunked off early) before the commuting mayhem kicked in;starting to feel like I'm getting back into it properly again after the stop-start beginning of the year,starting to punch up the inclines better but still need to do some linger rides before the spring saddle in April so willbe hoping for a benign March.

https://www.strava.com/activities/259793454

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Another quick commute/utility ride to meet Hubster from dialysis today. Usual route except that I rode up a bit of Colney lane that I don't normally go up and then turned around and came back as I wanted to see what was up there. I was running a smidge early and had 3 or 4 minutes in hand. If I went up the next side road I could have done a bit of a circle and back to the main Roundhouse Road. Or at least I think I can, I think that those roads are now built. I shall explore tomorrow while Hubster is at clinic.

5.63 miles in 28:13 so a 12mph moving average. Really really enjoyed it.
I wanted to go further today but the pup had hidden my trainer up and I couldn't find it. I searched for 40 minutes, wasting valuable riding time. I wanted to put the trainers in my plimsole bag so that I could go directly to dog walking and not have to stomp about in my spd shoes, which I don't really want to spend the afternoon in. Hubster found my trainer, up behind the shed. The little sod had taken my trainer up the garden. I looked everywhere but I didn't think he could get behind the shed. Trainers are now on the top of a tall bookshelf. I'll never find them tomorrow as I'll have forgotten where I put them.:girldance:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I looked at the forecast here today and decided to postpone my monthly 100 km ride, but I am running out of days to do it. Tomorrow might be my best opportunity because the wind is supposed to be dropping to bearable levels, and the rain (largely) holding off.
I did do that February metric century today.

I didn't fancy the route that I did in January so I devised a new one consisting of 2 loops, both pretty lumpy. The first was an extended version of my 'Trauma of Trawden' loop. The second loop was my local favourite taking in the Cragg Vale climb. I came up 0.6 km short after the 2 loops so I went round the block a couple of times to make up the distance. 100.2 km/62.3 miles done.

Loop 1 (63 km): Hebden Bridge, Keighley Rd climb, Cock Hill, Oxenhope, Penistone Hill (Haworth side), Stanbury, Oldfield, Scar Top, Laneshaw Bridge, Trawden, Clarion House, Coldwell, Haggate, Worsthorne, Mereclough, Long Causeway, Blackshaw Head, Jack Bridge, Colden, Slack, Draper Lane/Lee Wood Road descent, Heptonstall Road, Hebden Bridge.

Loop 2 (37 km): Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale climb, Blackstone Edge, A58 descent, Blue Ball Road, Coal Gate Road, Hubberton Green, Steep Lane, High Stones Hill, Descent through Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd, Greenway, Hebden Bridge PLUS a couple of times 'round the block' to round off the 100 km.

I know you all love to see my route profiles, so I have combined those of the 2 loops ... :whistle::

Trawden Long Causeway Cragg Vale 100 km route profile.gif

It was quite a tough ride, made harder by stronger than expected winds. Still, the sun made an appearance several times which kept temperatures comfortable, and I only felt a few isolated spots of rain all day.

Ah yes - my ride photos ... Here are all zero of them - my damn phone memory card gave up again today! This is happening too often so I need to get to the bottom of what is causing it.

I'm particularly peeved because I spotted a great photo opportunity. I was climbing a steep little lane and saw two sheep levitating above a 6 foot high wall at the top of the lane, and staring down at me! Summary of my reaction: WTF!!!!! :wacko: I thought that my blood sugar must have been getting low ...

It turns out that the field behind the wall is actually level with the top of the wall, but looking up the hill I couldn't see the grass that the sheep were standing on!

I am feeling a bit battered tonight. My lower back, neck and arms found the climbing hard work. Funnily enough, my legs, heart and lungs didn't feel too bad on the ride - backache stopped me riding hard enough to really make them suffer.

I think I deserve some chocolate tonight! Yikes - the shop shuts in 15 minutes - I'm outa here ... :hello:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Tonight's ride was not good, i organized an evening ride with a few friends, all was going well for the first 10 miles, then whilst going up a hill a stupid women opened her door without checking her mirrors, took two of our group out, unbelievable, i was riding a few meters back and managed to stop, But Jamie and Dom had no chance, Jamie hit the door and Dom straight into the back of him, They are both OK a bit shook up but no real damage, can't say the same for the bikes, we managed to get Doms bike back on the road but Jamie's was a total loss, The women was very apologetic, the husband offered to take Jamie and the bike home, was descent of him, So then we abandoned the ride and retired to the pub, It could have been a lot worse. we all live to ride another day.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Tonight's ride was not good, i organized an evening ride with a few friends, all was going well for the first 10 miles, then whilst going up a hill a stupid women opened her door without checking her mirrors, took two of our group out, unbelievable, i was riding a few meters back and managed to stop, But Jamie and Dom had no chance, Jamie hit the door and Dom straight into the back of him, They are both OK a bit shook up but no real damage, can't say the same for the bikes, we managed to get Doms bike back on the road but Jamie's was a total loss, The women was very apologetic, the husband offered to take Jamie and the bike home, was descent of him, So then we abandoned the ride and retired to the pub, It could have been a lot worse. we all live to ride another day.
A like for living to ride another day, but :sad: for what could have been a very nasty incident. I hope any aches & pains heal quickly and their insurance doesn't faff about reimbursing for the broken bikes.

13 rider

Guru
I did do that February metric century today.

I didn't fancy the route that I did in January so I devised a new one consisting of 2 loops, both pretty lumpy. The first was an extended version of my 'Trauma of Trawden' loop. The second loop was my local favourite taking in the Cragg Vale climb. I came up 0.6 km short after the 2 loops so I went round the block a couple of times to make up the distance. 100.2 km/62.3 miles done.

Loop 1 (63 km): Hebden Bridge, Keighley Rd climb, Cock Hill, Oxenhope, Penistone Hill (Haworth side), Stanbury, Oldfield, Scar Top, Laneshaw Bridge, Trawden, Clarion House, Coldwell, Haggate, Worsthorne, Mereclough, Long Causeway, Blackshaw Head, Jack Bridge, Colden, Slack, Draper Lane/Lee Wood Road descent, Heptonstall Road, Hebden Bridge.

Loop 2 (37 km): Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale climb, Blackstone Edge, A58 descent, Blue Ball Road, Coal Gate Road, Hubberton Green, Steep Lane, High Stones Hill, Descent through Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd, Greenway, Hebden Bridge PLUS a couple of times 'round the block' to round off the 100 km.

I know you all love to see my route profiles, so I have combined those of the 2 loops ... :whistle::

View attachment 80755

It was quite a tough ride, made harder by stronger than expected winds. Still, the sun made an appearance several times which kept temperatures comfortable, and I only felt a few isolated spots of rain all day.

Ah yes - my ride photos ... Here are all zero of them - my damn phone memory card gave up again today! This is happening too often so I need to get to the bottom of what is causing it.

I'm particularly peeved because I spotted a great photo opportunity. I was climbing a steep little lane and saw two sheep levitating above a 6 foot high wall at the top of the lane, and staring down at me! Summary of my reaction: WTF!!!!! :wacko: I thought that my blood sugar must have been getting low ...

It turns out that the field behind the wall is actually level with the top of the wall, but looking up the hill I couldn't see the grass that the sheep were standing on!

I am feeling a bit battered tonight. My lower back, neck and arms found the climbing hard work. Funnily enough, my legs, heart and lungs didn't feel too bad on the ride - backache stopped me riding hard enough to really make them suffer.

I think I deserve some chocolate tonight! Yikes - the shop shuts in 15 minutes - I'm outa here ... :hello:

I think you picked the right day for the ride much better than the day before .Well done getting the century in despite leaving it late

ColinJ

I think you picked the right day for the ride much better than the day before .Well done getting the century in despite leaving it late
Yes, and it is very wet and windy here today. It is supposed to dry up later but I am not sure I fancy cycling in that much wind. If I do ride, I will take the relatively sheltered valley roads to Littleborough and let the wind help me up the A58 to Blackstone Edge.

I feel like resting, but I am currently 190 miles down on my mileage target. I need to average 11.58 miles a day to claw it back over the year, but I would rather get ahead so I have a buffer to cover illness and bad weather.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Not long back from a night ride. The wind was a little less strong than earlier in the day (relatively speaking), and it was a crisp and cloudless night, lovely.

Of course without clouds, the temperature was plummeting, so a brisk ride to Armathwaite and back with a climb of Station Hill kept me warm. Another 19 miles in the bank. I do need to start extending distance again soon though.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
36 mile 360m climb ride, one of the easy rides here going via the fishing village of Bogaz, up to Mehmetcik>Yedikonuk>Buyukkonuk>Turnalar>Kilitkaya>Iskele. Beautiful spring day , th eisland is covered in yellow flowers and is really green all over. Perfect cycling conditions on great roads as always.
[url=http://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/58DU] [/URL]

Last edited:

ColinJ

Your a lucky guy bianchi..

ive just done a 16m over to mums and back with tea and cookies at half way..as you do.

beautiful day here but not like that above poster from Greece...im sounding jelouse lol
Ooh, you would be in trouble there ...

One of my friends once annoyed a Greek Cypriot by calling him 'Greek' and calling a Turkish Cypriot 'Greek' would be even worse! :laugh:

Oldbloke

Guru
First dry day this week so decided to shake off a dose of SAD with a ride.

Only planned a 50 kms but after stopping at my favourite boulangerie after 40, was fueled up for another 37.
A chilling headwind coming back, good to see the sunshine again though.

Haven't quite made my target 400 for the month but will treat Sunday as 29th Feb and hopefully clock up the difference:biggrin:

Top Bottom