Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
Well I managed to ride out 3rd day running. This time it was the novice level club run out to Iron Acton and a coffee stop at the garden centre.It was dry but cold on the ride out and while we were in the garden centre it began to rain. Fortunately the garden centre had allowed us to take the bikes inside and they were safe by the till, lovely and dry. The ride home was very wet and even colder. Pretty shattered now.

Ride is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/258492422

Hugs
Archeress x

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I might have dropped off the radar a bit on this site but for those who may remember I have owned 50s Higgins trike for 30 odd years, and for the majority of that it has been off the road due to my inactivity cycling wise and the loss of certain components along the way. Well on Thursday the final part was remade and fitted. After two shakedown rides of 15 and 30 miles Thursday and Friday I rode the Tom Simpson memorial ride today. 55 miles at 16.5 mph not the fastest by a long chalk but it was great to be back on the beast again and for a worthwhile reason too. To say that my fitness has tailed off this year is a bit of an understatement and my hamstrings are killing me, lugging 16 kilo of lightweight racing trike around is not as easy as it used to be. Plenty of comments came my (the trikes) way mostly complementary and a couple maybe a bit sarcastic, but this happens all the time that I remember. Can't wait now to finish work tomorrow and inflict more pain and suffering to myself. I will bore you with photo's over the next weeks. cheers Gaz

I was helping to lead an intro ride today. A nice short ride at an easy pace. Going out we had a lovely tail wind and the sun was shining, but when we came out the cafe, the rain and snow had started. I have never been so cold as I was cycling the 15 miles back to the velodrome, with a 25mph head wind. To top it all one guy got a puncture a mile from the finish. I waited with him while he fixed it and sent everyone else back to the velodrome and the nice warm cafe! He put his spare tube in but the valve was too short, I gave him mine and waited another 5 mins before calling my better half and telling her to pick me up from the velodrome, I was not going to cycle the extra 11 miles to get home!

Osprey

Guru
Yesterdays ride and my February metric century ride. A 7.30 start, 1 degree C and a fair north westerly 20mph+ wind made the first leg down the north Gower estuary a fair effort but estuary views across the Llanelli coastline rewarding.
DSC_0053.JPG

Turning a sharp left at Llanrhidian benefitted with a tail wind across the undulating Cilibion common. A hard right across Fairwood common before turning through high hedged farm lanes through central Gower onto Parkmill and a welcome bikewash.
DSC_0056.JPG
Onwards to the village of Bishopston before dropping down through the narrow coast lane into the bay of Caswell with the extra high tides threatening the coffee shop.
DSC_0068.JPG
A long hard climb out of the bay through into the village of Caswell before eventually dropping down into the Mumbles. An enjoyable stretch along the Swansea Bay coastal path with the high tide lapping alongside.
DSC_0073.JPG

Onwards along the 8 mile section of the Clyne Valley path before emerging into the village of Gowerton before cutting across the the marsh road onto the Llanelli coastal path. The next 12 miles through Loughour, Llanelli, Pwll and finally BurryPort into the face of the relentless headwind. Retracing my steps back to Gowerton before making my way back up the North Gower side of the estuary. An enjoyable 63.5 miles, and 2400 ft of climbing but a felt a lot more with the wind effect.

Luckily my knee has recovered from my little black ice commute on Tuesday. Today was the day to do this months imperial 100.

I knew I'd be getting a headwind for some of this ride, but I wanted to clock the milage to Ely riverside as I'd like to do a there and back with Mrs Dave in the warmer weather and to see which way I'd like to do this longer ride with my brothers in spring...

So off I set at 8ish along quiet roads to Cottenham with the wind on my back, sun out but chilly. Up twenty pence hill to Wilburton and then a left through those right angled roads that take you to Witchford. It was along here that I inadvertently flushed a barn owl out of some rough grass, I watched him fly over toward a farm, then I lost sight of it. My next right angled bend took me in his direction and this time I flushed him out of the hedge, he must have cursed me!
On entering Witchford I overtook a little old man on his bike, Ely CC were coming the other way, I waved as I assumed one of them would be @Elybazza61.

On into Ely to meet a friend for a cup of tea at the Cutter, but I went a way so I could see the cathedral, because it's so beguiling!

View attachment 80412

Ely riverside....

View attachment 80413

So after a pot of earl grey with Rebecca it was on to the delightfully named Prickwillow, it's like the Wild West! There are some ramshackle places along there ( this is the point where Bazza says he lives in one, and I've offended him!)

Isleham, kennford, Kennet, Dalham, Cowlinge..... All these out of the way Suffolk villages have some beautiful houses, each one seems prettier or more impressive than the last. I'd love to know what people do to afford them as there doesn't seem to be much employment there!

An so I made my way to Saffron Walden and stopped in the market for a Danish pastry! I had to stop and take a pic of Audley End...
View attachment 80414

The next 6-7 miles were grim. It had been blowy in my face since going round the back of Newmarket but I now had a gradual trudge up into a head wind to Great Chishill, the highest point in Cambs, and where current pop sensation Sam Smith hails from. I stopped for jelly babies and a photo or 2...
The view to the left... Herts View attachment 80415

To the right.... Sunny Cambs! View attachment 80416

I'd saved the "biggest" climb (this is Cambs, stop laughing!) Barrington Hill, no ALP du Barrington for the last 10 miles, but it was fine.
Into Haslingfield and a man mountain appeared on my right shoulder, he slotted in in front of me... "Sit on my wheel, I'll take you back to cambridge...."

"Why, do I look that knackered?"

" well I caught you quite quick, how far you been?"

I looked down 94.94, I informed him "K or miles?" So I told him it was miles "hmmmm, no wonder, this wind is a bugger for you". It was nice to have had the company, I never asked his name, if I did he may have just said "Camouflage" (now that was a great song!)

I left my hero in Barton and turned for home, a few spots of rain on my lenses. I'd been so lucky with the weather.

101.75 miles:smile:

I live in Ely not any of them fenland villages but you did go through Cowlinge,my ancestral home .
And I was in the Edcc (moderate pace)group on the Saturday ride.
Speaking of which it was a little bit more than moderate at times and I suffered a bit at the end on the 'climb' back in to Haddenham.

https://www.strava.com/activities/257908479

Oh and kudos Dave for the 100 up.

Last edited:

thetribe

Über Member
Another trip with Bev, The Hesitant Cyclist, today, she's still in pain when sitting so a shorter cake stop was chosen as she didn't want to miss our Sunday jaunt. A nice and steady 5.3 miles for her but I turned off before home and added one of my loops to take me to 15. Had an auto-pause error with the Garmin today and exited the Cafe with a 3mph average :eek: Managed to get it back to double figures even though I didn't push it.

IMG_9934.JPG
Bev heading towards Caffe Bertorelli along Newbiggin Prom.

IMG_9936.JPG
In the distance is "Couple", apparently one of "The Six Worst Works of British Public Art"

IMG_9942.JPG
Snapped while uploading photos to Instagram!!

IMG_9941.JPG
Breakfast! Bev had Lumpy Bumpy Cake, apparently cos the name reminded her of herself in cycling gear :laugh:

https://www.strava.com/activities/258313565

Spartak