Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very much wanted to join the clubrun yesterday, mostly due to weather haven't been out all year. Unfortunately thwarted once again, having encountered ice on my way to work on Fri morning the forecast for Sat was for more of the same. Not prepared to take the risk so had to give the clubrun a miss yet again. Went out for a couple of hours by myself in the afternoon, 5 degrees and an icy wind but lovely sunshine. Roads very wet, I made the right call.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Norland Road climb from Sowerby Bridge police station (MUCH steeper than it looks here!)
View attachment 80355

This should be a hint ...
View attachment 80356
PS I forgot to mention something ... You know me - I like hills, so if I criticise the hilliness of a route then you should know that there is something wrong!

It turned out that this b*st*rd climb is part of NCN 68, The Pennine Cycleway. I have mentioned many times before the steep, cobbled climb of The Buttress out of Hebden Bridge, which is also on NCN 68. What were the planners thinking! These are too hard for most cyclists to climb, and would be very dangerous to descend, especially in wet conditions, or when autumn leaves are on the ground. The cycleways are supposed to encourage cycling, not kill cyclists!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
66 miles & 1220m climb today here in TRNC . Our route took us from Bafra>Buyukkonuk>Essentepe>Tirmen>Malidag>Gecitkale>Iskele. Riding with Stefan & Anna. Less windy than the last few rides, cloudy but really nice. I need to get fit , these guys are FAST lol! No pics as no stops. Nice ride with lots of coastal and mountain scenery.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
25 miles with our lass this morning. Weather was cold and dry when we set off, by the end it was very very cold and raining, last 10 miles were not pleasant. For users of the cycling photo challenge thread, we saw a Grey Heron and a Little Egret, it was to bloody cold to find my phone and take a photo though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/258378427

BrynCP

Über Member
Really been lacking motivation recently and being out the country for 4 days didn't help.

However, things are looking up!

Did 32 miles yesterday, just out around the country lanes and little villages near Hull.

Then today managed 42 miles, pretty windy on the way out but thankfully with it behind me coming back, along with rain that was two hours early according to the forecast! Did my route over Humber Bridge into North Lincolnshire, a bit of a drag after the bridge and the wind made it feel worse.

D

Deleted member 1258

Willoughby the destination, 52 miles the journey. Got up this morning expecting rain drops on the window and instead was greeted by frost and ice, a quick look on the computer revealed the rain wasn't due until dinner time so I got my gear on got the bike out and headed off, what I discovered when I got out was a stiff breeze which slowed me down and made me work. My route took me out through Baginton, Wappenbury, Eathorpe, Marton, Birdinbury, Leamington Hastings and Hill, I turned onto the A426 and had a senior moment, I got half way to Dunchurch then thought I should have turned right towards Grandborough fields back there, I decided to keep going through Dunchurch and onto the A45 and on to to Willoughby. The original plan was to turn onto the A45 at Willoughby then turn though Braunston and go onto Wilton Locks, in the end I decided to stop at Willoughby and leave Wilton Locks till a better day, it had been a slow hard slog out and rain was due. On the way back I rode across Grandborough Fields, nice to see the Badger Mural in Grandborough is still fresh,
Wall Badger 2.jpeg

Picture taken a few years ago

to Hill then onto Marton, riding out of Marton I turned down Barn Lane and retraced my route earlier, when I got to the Leamington road I turned right though BubbenHall and on through Ryton and Woolston to ride into Coventry past the speedway. The rain started in Bubbenhall but was light at first, I got to the top of Sewall Highway before it got heavy and by that stage I was close to home so kept going. Not a very enjoyable morning on the bike but a sense of satisfaction on finishing it, I was disappointed at not making Wilton Locks but with the way the morning had panned out it was a sensible decision to stop at Willoughby.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Had the most ridiculous and embarrassing "off" yesterday. Stuck the bike on the car and parked in a little lane just up from Remenham Church, crossed the river at Hambleden Lock and spent a pleasant couple of hours pedalling round assorted Chiltern villages.

Came back through Henley and I was within 200 yards of where I'd parked when I heard a car coming up behind. Stupidly (and unnecessarily) I moved a bit further to the left to give him plenty of room to pass, and just after he'd done so I hit a patch of mud/gravel and my front wheel skidded sideways, depositing me on the road.

Bike OK, Damage: one pair of torn tracksters, grazed knee, injured pride. As the saying goes, I learned something from that.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It's raining outside. It was nice when I went out and I knew it was going to rain later. I should have kept a better eye on the time but I was all warm and comfy at @StickBouncer's house. Nice coffee.

Only a quick ride today. I was bored stiff but didn't fancy a circular for some reason, so I headed down to SB's for a cuppa. Down our road, down the hill and onto the Marriotts and then off at the other end and round past PMT Guitar shop and to SBs. Had a coffee then noticed that it was raining so headed home the same route, only backwards.
For the first time in an absolute age, I got off and walked about 20 yards up Marlpit Lane before pulling myself together and getting back on my bike. The wind coming at me and the rain coming at me made it harder and a lot more horrible than usual.

6.28 miles in a collective 32:10 so averaged 11.8mph ish over the 2 rides. Nice to get out anyway.

Top Bottom