Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had one break last year, I could not get it out of the shifter. So this year changed it before any trouble arose
That may be the way forward with this one. It was a bit of a pig to get out, not helped by the fact I'd left my home-made special tool at home :rolleyes: but a bit of perseverance and improvisation worked.

Mrs M

Guru
View attachment 118831
image.jpeg
View attachment 118831 Lovely day up here today :smile:.
Went a bit further and managed to get up a hill I walked up last week.
Didn't take many pics as just enjoying the ride so much.
Took a snap of the golf course on way home, looking for Mr M. See coffee stop in the park and home.

Dark46

Veteran
On Monday night @Frazzle went out fir a 15 mile ride and it was dawned freezing! But at least it was better than sitting in the house watching Corrie with tge Mrs. The ride went well apart from the wind on the way back on the A38, it was -1.2° and the rain felt hail stones.

Wednesday nights ride with the Eastgate guys (yet again with @Frazzle) was good with the chilled group, we had a new rider who a abit of a nightmare. First as we were leaving his chain came off, then 3/4 of the way round his front light died. Then about 1/2 a mile from the end he git a puncture. Best to get these things out of the way lol.

For me the ride went well with a few PB's on Strava, even though I didn't think I was really trying.

The ride was from Gloucester to Stonehouse and back to Gloucester on the A38. For me it ended up being just over 30 miles.

Went out last night for a 15 mile ride with @Frazzle, he was on his Hooligan.
At least the weather was not too cold and it wasn't raining.

So It now brings this week's total for 60.2 miles, my aim for this year us 50 miles a week so with Sundays KCC ride to come things are going well.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Early spin out to Homebase for a roll of gaffer tape. Took the Brompton and got wet. Garmin 500 refusing to sync with Connect, annoying. Morning spent working on van in preparation for roof and window install next month.
Hopefully it's nicer weather tomorrow as plan is for a ride out with new cycling buddy.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A chilly ride out on the tandem through a drizzly, gloomy south Cambs. After a mile Mrs Dave needed to stop to shed a layer... I was freezing!
Down into Comberton and past the butchers shop, we looked in, they looked out- "A tandem...!" They both mouthed in unison.
A mile on and the chain threw itself off. This may have been me being too aggressive with the shifter, as it needs a fair twist for the little ring. After putting the chain on we crested the hump backed bridge in a massive gear, Jo standing up and pedalling.
On through Harston, Haslingfield and then Barton. We were always going to have a teas top but I wasn't sure where. Then I remembered that @robjh had posted about stopping at the achingly hip Espresso Library in Cambridge.
Oh my, it was beardy. There were nerds glued to devices and laptops, trendy dudes, beanies and torn jeans galore. We looked out of place in our Lycra in what is nominally supposed to be a cycling cafe
image.jpeg

The food was a little pricey, but very good.

It was somewhere here that the garmin decided to turn off.
On the way home I had the fun of negotiating the narrow bridge over the motorway, threading the needle at a very slow speed, good fun!

About 22 miles by my reckoning. A meal out, and quality time spent, romance eh?

13 rider

Guru
Got up this morning legs felt like lead after 3 days of commuting for the first time and 60 + miles on the clock .So a steady morning of odd jobs and bike cleaning .After fueling with a bacon sandwich its time for a ride . Up through Newtown Linford to Ulverscoft lane and decided to copy part of @tallliman ride from last Sunday . So first climb of the day up Polly Botts lane right at the crossroads down Priory lane then the second climb up Priory lane down to the next crossroads up to beacon crossroads right and up Beacon hill the easy way then the quick descent .Braking for the left onto breakback lane was interesting slowing from 35mph . Past beacon hill car park and on to Deans lane for the next proper climb .Slow steady climb to the top then back to beacon crossroads . Quick steady descent down pass the golf course to the crossroads and right for the last climb of the day .Warren hill up to old John a nasty climb with no run up had to stop at the crossroads for a car so a standing start .So climb spinning away to the top then the nice fast descent down Sharply hill back into Newtown Linford and Home .15 miles done in just over the hour and 1356 ft of climbing .Back home for coffee and cake

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cold wind blowing and a bit damp too today but there were 5 in the Green ready for a quickie including Mrs 26 and me. Ledbury seemed like a good idea. Just enough to stretch the legs and get some fresh (very fresh!!) air. Mrs 26 lead us a slightly different route to Hook Bank to avoid the flood diverted traffic. From there it was a fairly standard run around the southern end of the Hills. For a change I rode through the ford at Clencher's Mill. Everyone else used the foot bridge.

DeLilah's was empty when we showed up so we had excellent service and great refreshments as always. Mrs 26 suffers in the cold so she headed off for a return by train while the rest of us took to the climb of the Wyche where we split into two groups for the final mile or so of homeward heading. Crikey it was cold dropping away from the heights of the Hills. Straight down into that cold easterly. No worries tho' as we'd all had a lovely little outing.

Old jon

Guru
No ride since last Sunday, had a few days in London for a change. Saw and bought a quartz plectrum while we were there, something new to learn how to use. Anyroadup, today's ride. It was proper cold, not very windy and I wanted something not too hilly, so south I went, after my usual three sides of a square around Holbeck. Through Hunslet and up to John O' Gaunt's the pedals seemed to be turning with less effort than usual, or I was fooling myself, a much more likely state of things. As I often do, through Woodlesford and Swillington, around the west and north sides of Garforth to Lotherton Hall, that is about halfway around the 28.3 miles I ended up riding and my hands had not yet warmed up, so I turned left for Aberford just as the weather turned wet . . . and wetter. I wimped out and sheltered under the A 1 flyover and ate some grub, glad I am that I stopped, there were five or six minutes when the rain lowered visibility to a few yards. On to Barwick, and by the time I crossed the railway bridge at Scholes feeling was returning to my hands. A short stretch of A 64, Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes, the whizzzz down Boot Hill, Oakwood clock and home. A nice ride out, but roll on warmer weather.

Diggs

Veteran
Plans plans plan eh? Thursday night, I switched tyres to prep for bit of gravel/cross type training with my friend today. Friday night got a last minute invite to a gig so didn't get to bed until 1:00.
Surprised myself and woke up at 7:00, mate called off with manflu so joined the LBS ride. A wet and cold ride is better than no ride.:okay:
It wasn't actually as bad as it looked but was glad to get home, make a coffee and thankfully Mrs D had the immersion heater on.

wet road.jpg

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
I intended to do my February 50K yesterday, and even got the best bike out as it was really dry! Poor thing hasn't been out for months, and it was great to ride it again. My body, however was not playing ball. No energy, poor breathing, huge headache. Aborted it and slunk home for 11 miles.

I was crushed by that, and when you're fighting depression anyway, it REALLY crushes you :sad:

Today was fine weather, a bit windier with a light shower forecast about 2pm-ish. Grabbed the shouty orange bike and set off. The plan was to ride to Dalston down the cycleway and get a bag of chips there, then see how I felt.

The chips were yummy :hungry:

I felt good, so off I set on the rest of the loop that I figured would be about 31 miles, and pretty soon hit the headwind leg. On a hybrid, it provides a good bit of resistance :laugh: Got back to Carlisle, then went round the bypass on it's (very good) cyclepath, cut back through town and out through Rickerby Park. I had just finished the A69 cyclepath when I hit the "light shower".

I think the BBC needs to work on it's definition of a light shower. :angry::rain:

Memories of Islay came back to me as I slogged into the headwind past the golf course. My Aldi winter gloves are fairly warm, but not waterproof as I was finding out and my fingers were starting to get chilled. Thankfully when I reached Warwick Bridge the rain stopped and I now had a tailwind most of the way home :wahhey:I dropped into my parents for a quick snack and a coffee as my legs were, unsurprisingly, starting to feel it. Then an easy 6.5 miles back home to make 32 miles exactly.

midlife

Guru
I intended to do my February 50K yesterday, and even got the best bike out as it was really dry! Poor thing hasn't been out for months, and it was great to ride it again. My body, however was not playing ball. No energy, poor breathing, huge headache. Aborted it and slunk home for 11 miles.

I was crushed by that, and when you're fighting depression anyway, it REALLY crushes you :sad:

Today was fine weather, a bit windier with a light shower forecast about 2pm-ish. Grabbed the shouty orange bike and set off. The plan was to ride to Dalston down the cycleway and get a bag of chips there, then see how I felt.

The chips were yummy :hungry:

I felt good, so off I set on the rest of the loop that I figured would be about 31 miles, and pretty soon hit the headwind leg. On a hybrid, it provides a good bit of resistance :laugh: Got back to Carlisle, then went round the bypass on it's (very good) cyclepath, cut back through town and out through Rickerby Park. I had just finished the A69 cyclepath when I hit the "light shower".

I think the BBC needs to work on it's definition of a light shower. :angry::rain:

Memories of Islay came back to me as I slogged into the headwind past the golf course. My Aldi winter gloves are fairly warm, but not waterproof as I was finding out and my fingers were starting to get chilled. Thankfully when I reached Warwick Bridge the rain stopped and I now had a tailwind most of the way home :wahhey:I dropped into my parents for a quick snack and a coffee as my legs were, unsurprisingly, starting to feel it. Then an easy 6.5 miles back home to make 32 miles exactly.

Well done :smile:. Note to self to try the new chippy in Dalston :smile:

Shaun

Top Bottom