Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out early, based on a weather forecast that said it would stay dry until 11ish and promised that rare combination of a head wind going out and a tailwind coming back - turned out to be lies again....:headshake:
By heck it was cold.
Out through Scholes, then Barwick and on towards Aberford. At the summit of Cattle Lane I disturbed a Red Kite picking over the remains of a rabbit in the middle of the road. They are big birds, aren't they?
Out of Aberford towards Lotherton and the heavens opened with a stinker of a hail shower - so bad that I retraced my steps back under the A1(M) bridge and sheltered there for a good 10 minutes - like @Old jon did later by the sounds of it!
Despite considering turning for home, as the hail stopped I pushed on, past Lotherton Hall and on to Saxton. From there to Barkston Ash, then Church Fenton and the country lane around the airfield to Ryther, encountering more cold rain on the way.
At Ryther I turned towards Ulleskelf and for a brief mile or three had the luxury of the wind at my back. On to the A162 and then down the hill and into Tadcaster, before turning left again and up the hill, before another left onto Garnett Lane. Just as I started the sharp climb there was a loud clang followed by a sudden slow down.
Checked and found a spoke had broken and the wheel was just enough out of true to be catching the brake blocks. Secured the spoke as best I could in the cold and wound the rear brakes right off. That would have to do until I got home.
Pressed on gingerly to Bramham and then the most direct route home via Thorner.
It was a bit of a grind as the promised tailwind had vanished, but I eventually made my way to Coal Road and on to home.
13022016.jpg

34.52 miles / 55.55 km in 2hrs 34m at an average of 13.4 mph with 1194 ft climbed. Even layered up I was blooming cold, with an average temperature during the ride of -0.3°C.
But I've got another entry in the Half Century a Month challenge, even if it's going to cost me in bike repairs...:dry:

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
Then I remembered that @robjh had posted about stopping at the achingly hip Espresso Library in Cambridge.
Oh my, it was beardy. There were nerds glued to devices and laptops, trendy dudes, beanies and torn jeans galore. We looked out of place in our Lycra in what is nominally supposed to be a cycling cafe
View attachment 118844
I'm sure you lent it that touch of maturity it was missing :whistle:

The food was a little pricey, but very good.
A little pricey? You obviously didn't look at the beer menu then!:eek:

A chilly ride out on the tandem through a drizzly, gloomy south Cambs. After a mile Mrs Dave needed to stop to shed a layer... I was freezing!
Down into Comberton and past the butchers shop, we looked in, they looked out- "A tandem...!" They both mouthed in unison.
A mile on and the chain threw itself off. This may have been me being too aggressive with the shifter, as it needs a fair twist for the little ring. After putting the chain on we crested the hump backed bridge in a massive gear, Jo standing up and pedalling.
On through Harston, Haslingfield and then Barton. We were always going to have a teas top but I wasn't sure where. Then I remembered that @robjh had posted about stopping at the achingly hip Espresso Library in Cambridge.
Oh my, it was beardy. There were nerds glued to devices and laptops, trendy dudes, beanies and torn jeans galore. We looked out of place in our Lycra in what is nominally supposed to be a cycling cafe
View attachment 118844

The food was a little pricey, but very good.

It was somewhere here that the garmin decided to turn off.
On the way home I had the fun of negotiating the narrow bridge over the motorway, threading the needle at a very slow speed, good fun!

About 22 miles by my reckoning. A meal out, and quality time spent, romance eh?

Might have to have a nose in there;by the look of that photo it reminds me of the Watershed in Brizzle.

As for todays ride it was a club run of two halves really.First was the weather with was ok going out;light winds and dry but part two ended up being wet with a stronger wind which had moved more Northerly.

Second was the fact that clumsy fingers here ended the ride on the Garmin at the coffee stop:banghead:,i blame using a 500 all week and then the 510 today:whistle::rolleyes:.Still just had to upload it in two parts.

Oh also there was a few malfunctions with the HRM not working at first and the speed dropping out;all ok by the end though so dunno what that was about;HRM might need a new battery but the others have new ones in:unsure:.

Anyway good run although felt a bit weary at the end so obviously not at full fitness yet after the flu.

https://www.strava.com/activities/492553966

https://www.strava.com/activities/492554016

Might be out tomorrow with the better half,depends on the weather and how she's feeling;otherwise it'll be looking about trying to make a desicion on new wheels:rolleyes:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Headed out for a Sky Ride with a guy. Slightly hesitant to do so as it was labelled "easy going" but thought I would learn some new routes through town.

When we met I accidentally paused the garmin and cancelled the course I had on, missed a couple of miles as it powered down!

Went for a slow pooch through Heaton Park, the guy had a fag break after 5 miles (!) and on we went to the city centre.

Qw1PHGFl.jpg

After, I headed out to do a short lap to bring the miles up, and in Outwood Park passed a Robin Hood dressed fellow with bow and arrows. A short while later came across a bunch of guys literally in the middle of nowhere dressed as skeletons with swords. They were quite excited to have a photo taken and on I went to complete the ride, passing by a small film crew as I went. (I have since heard Richard Herring is doing a St Skeletor Day to counter Valentines day so would be surprised if it's not connected!)

brhqW2Rl.jpg

Bhvm7Hdl.jpg

No further strangely dressed fellows were encountered.

hm3et3jl.jpg

nJwYlmdl.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/492700984

I intended to do my February 50K yesterday, and even got the best bike out as it was really dry! Poor thing hasn't been out for months, and it was great to ride it again. My body, however was not playing ball. No energy, poor breathing, huge headache. Aborted it and slunk home for 11 miles.

I felt good, so off I set on the rest of the loop that I figured would be about 31 miles, and pretty soon hit the headwind leg. On a hybrid, it provides a good bit of resistance :laugh: Got back to Carlisle, then went round the bypass on it's (very good) cyclepath, cut back through town and out through Rickerby Park. I had just finished the A69 cyclepath when I hit the "light shower".

I think the BBC needs to work on it's definition of a light shower. :angry::rain:

Memories of Islay came back to me as I slogged into the headwind past the golf course. My Aldi winter gloves are fairly warm, but not waterproof as I was finding out and my fingers were starting to get chilled. Thankfully when I reached Warwick Bridge the rain stopped and I now had a tailwind most of the way home :wahhey:I dropped into my parents for a quick snack and a coffee as my legs were, unsurprisingly, starting to feel it. Then an easy 6.5 miles back home to make 32 miles exactly.
Well you are doing more than me I wanted out these last few days but the flagpole sheared off in the winds two weeks ago and I want another one up before the referendum (flying the EU flag has the same effect on the UKIP people as hanging garlic does on vampires) So I have to remove 18inches of concrete to put a bigger pole in, have managed 8 inches before my shoulder give in and my legs cramped. Packed in just before that light shower.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on my road bike this morning and within half a mile I'd turned left instead of right.....! Down to Dry Drayton and on to Madingley village. On my way through to Coton the Uni ladies cyclists were rolling by the other way.
On to Grantchester and past Jeffery Archers place, you never see him, they must keep him under lock & key.
The only place I didn't see other cyclists today was along Shelford Road, the TdF route.
I saw some lovely buzzards as I came into Whittlesford, it's a village I've never cycled through. It was then onto Duxford, @robjh 's manor I seem to remember. A fine choice of pubs to be had...
Down to Ickleton, then I headed back the way I came, pity really, but I didn't have the legs today, and I'd be facing a headwind most of the way home (second amateur mistake of the day!)
In Haslingfield o could have gone over Barrington Hill, but I opted for the easier return.
Approaching Comberton I had 3 choices-
A- carry on to Toft for a 2mile uphill drag into a headwind
B- Long Road, a bit of a drag in the wind, a big down and a sheltered up
C- Sit on the verge and sulk.

Plan B it was, and I'm glad I did, as I saw 2 Thorn tandems and a lovely red frog eyed Sprite coming the other way.

My fitness is returning, this may be my longest ride this year.... 35 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/493227584

Last edited:
Out again for Club run with HDW
We we outward via Lyne CHobham and Pribright and Normandy to our top at the Canal side cafe at Mytchett

Back via Ash Vale, Bisley outskirts of Windlesham and Chertsey

Though not mega winds, there was a fair amound of wind
Roads were dirty from recent rains.

I could feel the tiredness in my legs from Friday's effort too

44.59 miles @ 16.0 mph
1391 feet climbed

Only (?) one puncture this week.

https://www.strava.com/activities/493310480

123 miles for the week - above average

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
A Valentine's Day ride with my love (The Bike ^_^!).

Beautiful sunny but frosty morning in Shrewsbury, with full winter gear needed today to keep me somewhere near warm against a bitterley cold Northerly wind, that was deceptively strong.

Headed out into the estate and had only been going for about 1/4 of a mile when I had my only close pass of the day......from another cyclist, who overtook me closely at the same time a car was overtaking a parked car on the other side of the road. Said rider had a Mid Shropshire Wheelers club jersey on and should definitely have known better :cursing:.

Followed the cycle paths to Uffington and then joined the roads to Upton Magna, where second annoyance of the ride occurred. 1 car pulled out of the new housing estate on the left, a bit close for my liking, but with me going slowly into the wind it was ok....then an audiot followed him out, looked left and not right and went to pull out in front of me. I braked hard and just about avoided the stupid bat, who saw me at the last minute and stopped half across the road with a smile and waved me past. There wasn't a smile back from me :cursing:.

The next 10 miles were very hard into the wind, through Withington, Isombridge and Longden on Tern, before I turned towards Rodington and some brief respite from it. Another annoyance in Rodington, where a group of about 10 walkers with dogs were blocking the road, so I rang my bell in time for them to turn round, see me, and proceed to just carry on as they were blocking the road. I weaved past a couple and thankfully the walk leader shouted at the others to move out of the way. 1 person with some sense at least.

Battled on through Roden, Poynton and to Bings Heath where the wind was behind me and it was much easier going, other than negotiating 2 dog walkers with leads extended fully across the road and ignoring my bell :stop:(really was the day for idiots today)

Climbed up Ebury Hill, pausing to take a photo of the North Shropshire plains
image.jpeg

Then continued the climb up Haughmond, back to Upton Magna, along to Berwick Wharf and Atcham, which was extremely busy with traffic using the rat run, but all well behaved.

Took Chilton Lane, despite the road closed signs still being out, due to the River Severn being in flood this week again. There was still a flood, but it was shallow enough to coast through and keep the feet dry. Crossed the A458 and climbed to Betton Abbots and then through the estate home.

Hard ride, but the 50k for February is completed.

32.8 miles at 11.2mph avg

NB - @Rickshaw Phil i moved the cycle computer sensor to the lower magnet, but still only registered for about a 1/4 of the ride. I think it's a connection issue on the computer itself.

Simontm

Veteran
Second ride out. This time Kingston, Richmond, along the river on the water surrounded path thanks to the flood plains to Kew.
Back round through Twickenham, Hampton, Bushy Park to Hampton Court then home.
20 miles and 13 mph average. Knee only slightly hurting this time. Getting there ^_^

Edit: here's the flood plain by Deer Park as the barrier was up
image.jpeg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Off this morning target was a metric half century . Out to mates house at Sileby via Cropston ,Rothley and Cossington . Andy didn't have much time to spare he's busy diying so a quick hour route planned. Out of Sileby towards Seagrave and up pawdy lane to the Ragdale turn dropped down into Ragdale and then the climb out of it . Then a fun mile chain ganging on a nice steady descent keeping above 30mph ! . Into Hoby then Thrussington and Ratcliffe on the wreake. Then the climb upto humble lane then another nice descent into Cossington then back to Sileby where Andy headed home . Check of distance done and route decided to get the 50 kms in . Through Mountsorrel then into Swithland over the reservoir back to Cropston and Home .32.4 miles done in chilly conditions but still loads of riders out today .In home quick coffee and down sisters to watch the football ( which I don't want to talk about .go foxes) now home feet up reading cyclechat almost a perfect day spoilt by football result

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
November 1st, 2015. 104 days ago. On that day the November temperature record was broken (22.4C in Wales). The actor Fred Thompson died (he was in Die Hard II and some other stuff). And that day was the last time I went on a just-for-fun Sunday bike ride. One hundred and four days ago!!

Until today... :wahhey::wahhey::wahhey::wahhey:

I wasn't even sure if my legs had more than 20-odd miles in them. I've kept commuting (weather permitting) so I was optimistic my base fitness hadn't dropped through the floor, but you never know.

Anyway, it was all good. Out to Holmfirth and back with a useful tailwind on the outward journey. 44 and a bit miles at 16mph with 1,460 ft of climbing. Got home just before a hail storm. Phew.

https://www.strava.com/activities/493332918

I sincerely hope it isn't 104 days until the next one. :okay:

Stevec047

Über Member
So after not getting home until 3.30am this morning as littlest boy decided getting ready for bed last night he would try out for the GB Olympic gymnast team and fall straight onto the back of his head so a trip to A&E was in order.

Needless to say I wasn't really feeling the idea of jumping on the bike but having looked out the window and saw beautiful sunshine I decided to jump on the bike.

A nice simple 9.2 miles starting off from Sible Hedingham up towards Halstead no goals in mind just to put some more miles on the bike and feel better.

So heading out of Sible Heading basically you have no choice but to climb a hill or as some of you more hardy cyclists may say a very slight incline. Needless to say the lack of sleep and nutrition meant this was hard work but I persisted with my chosen route knowing there were still a fair few hills to contend with. After a short break just before entering Halstead sat on a bench watching the world go by I jumped back on and headed for the downhill stretch of Halstead highs tree which was great fun as hardly any traffic. I stopped of at the petrol station to refuel with my caffeine drink (I know it's not good but it helps and the last thing I can think of drinking is a hot cup of coffee mid ride) and a flapjack.

Bearing in mind I am fully kitted up and walking in sounding like a tap dancer due to the clipless pedals and cleats now fitted to the base of my shoes the assistant asked what pump number. Looking at her in a very confused lack of sleep way the sarcastic side got the better of me and I just held up said caffeine drink and flapjack and stated this is the only fuel I need much to the delight of the lady and guy just behind me in the cue.

Refuelled with super unleaded I hit the climb up toward Gosfield and the long sweeping downhill section which I hit a staggering 37mph - it's amazing what a new track pump and the correct pressures 110psi can do if not a little sketchy in places.

The final slog was the long ride from Gosfield to headingham which seems to be a bit of an issue for me as I just can't increase my overall speed down here but practice makes perfect as they say. One last steep descent into Hedingham and then the slow grind back to home.

Wasn't really feeling it today but feel great I got out and put another 9 miles under the belt. That's over 100 miles since October when I first started riding.

No pics today hands were too cold and didn't want to look at the phone and see the strava app running - but increase my average speed up to 9.7 from the 8.3 I have been running at since October so pleased with that.

Check out my 9.2 mi Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/493345986

Top Bottom