Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Poped back to Wakerley this afternoon..
nice day for a mtb session..i decided to see how dry its got off piste..some was ok but i managed to find the usual woodland bog fest..i like washing and cleaning so ploughed through..
Brambles were painfully long and nasty..as my legs got shredded...
good ride tho and a few about..

View attachment 122258 View attachment 122259 View attachment 122260
The muddier you get, the more fun you had :smile:

Mrs M

Guru
My ride today was my first in 67 days. At a mere 12.4km it won't break any records but it was over 50 times further than my last ride on January 13th when I came a cropper on black ice resulting in a distal-radius fracture.

Today was simply a straight out and back to see how my wrist held up. Thankfully it felt fine during the ride but I didn't want to push it as I reckoned it would likely come back and bite me later. I'm relieved to say that's not been the case so can being to look at planning further rides now and get my London 2 Paris training back on plan :smile:
Well done :smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A short, hilly ride around Wembury and the local area late this afternoon.
Up and down, then down and up.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think that the next time I come down I'll just stick to riding around here, quiet roads, hilly and splendid views.

https://www.strava.com/activities/522314678

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 31

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A hilly ride with my brother today. Doug is aiming to get back up to fitness ready for a Lakes trip later in the Spring and asked me if I fancied a ride up to Oaks and Pulverbatch for some hill training, which of course I did.;)

This used to be a regular route for me but I've not done it much lately so looked forward to it. We headed over over Lyth HIll to start, then dropped to Exfords Green before the steady climb up to Oaks where we had a drink stop and greeted a passing roadie.

The back way to Pulverbatch was next where there are two short but sharp climbs which take a bit of effort if you're fit never mind trying to work up to it. Low gearing helps and Doug managed both of these without needing to stop.:okay:

At Pulverbatch the lane by the White Horse was full of Land Rovers as a group gathered before tackling a bit of green laning. They all seemed friendly and we got a lot of waves and nods as we passed through the group. Turning right just here we were behind a chap with his son who I would guess was on his first outing on his new road bike so was very cautious. We overtook carefully and headed for Wilderley. This section skirts the edge of the Long Mynd and has some great views but is quite undulating so Doug was having to work a bit.

Eventually we got to the Dorrington-Picklescott road and turned left onto the long, fast downhill Stretch to Dorrington. At the bottom of the descent we encountered a fun-run (for Sport Relief) and had to negotiate the runners for a short section just before the village.

Near Great Ryton we stopped for Doug to check on a text message and a passing rider stopped to check if we were okay. Nice of him.^_^

We were going to head back the most direct way but passing through Condover Doug changed his mind and decided that a hilly ride needed a fitting end so we turned left and headed for Lyth Hill again. We had a brief stop after crossing the A49 and before tackling this last climb when the same roadie who had passed at Oaks overtook us again.:laugh: I wonder where he'd been in the meantime.

A little under 20 miles this trip at 10.2mph average. Doug's Strava says we did around 1280 feet of climbing during the trip.

Edit to add: This was also the first test of the new brakes on the knockabout bike. Very nice:okay:. More responsive and positive-feeling than the cheapo originals. I may need to be a bit careful 'til I get used to them.

DSC0003266.jpg

Doug taking a breather up at Oaks.

DSC0003268.jpg

Cresting the second of the nasty little climbs on the way to Pulverbatch.

Last edited:

Osprey

Guru
An 8am start, 3 degrees C, and a 12mph north easterly wind made for a cold start. The headwind from the off meant it was difficult to warm up and the old legs were labouring. A few early morning cyclists were out and everyone was the same all hidden under their buffs. I chose a flat linear route off the North Gower, Through Clyne Valley before emerging onto Swansea Bay. Continued along the promenade which was busy with joggers, through the Maritime quarter and out along Fabian Way to Crymlyn. A slight detour on the return leg along the Tennant Canal back to Swansea which proved to be a bit rough and slow going even for the Croix de Fer. The return leg from Swansea all the way home was with a tail wind and made for a really enjoyable end to the ride. Only 32 flat miles but sometimes that's enough...
upload_2016-3-20_19-5-41.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/522334578

IMG_20160205_112051.jpg
1421930593586.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
I must check my popping out @Mrs M ..i popped...i keep typing poped, its Palm Sunday so OK i spose

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely blue skies and hardly any wind tempted Mrs 26 and me out into the lanes. Nice quiet lanes of north west Cumbria. We climbed away from Cockermouth for Bridekirk. The wind turbines were still. Bullgill came and went as we crossed the main road at Crosby Villa. Next we reached the coast road where Sunday trippers were out in force. Allonby had queues waiting patiently for ice cream at Twentyman's.

We looped away from this busy stretch in quiet lanes for West Newton and a southerly side of a loop to bring us out at Bankmill where the cafe was busy with Sunday trippers. All good tho' as our order turned up fairly promptly. This cafe has a magnificent Tawny Owl in a cage and a pair of Cockatiels in another cage. I'm not keen on caged birds but they seemed happy enough.

We took a northerly loop away inland. Not many villages on our route although Aldoth was named if tiny. We returned to West Newton again as this is a pinch point due to the landscape and drainage constraints. This time tho' we went straight to Aspatria to cross the main road. Then we looped slightly differently than usual by Threapland for the standard run back by Gilcrux. Today was a good day to climb Tallentire Hill. The wind turbines were rotating now but gently. Mrs 26's climbing legs had had enough but up here is peaceful and pleasant. The drop to Bridekirk has a really rough surface but nothing that a bike handler couldn't deal with. Then back to base for some eats and drinks. Lovely ride out today for sure with a nice round number of 40 of those smiles.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Todays ride(s) were threefold!

Initially, I rode over to No.1 daughters house to say hello and have a chat before heading off to the library and buy some bird food etc from Wilko's, then back home.. 5 miles.
Then, an hour later, ride back to No 1 daughters house to pick the grandkids up to give her a bit of space for a few hours as her fella was away to watch the rugby at the Ricoh in Coventry. I walked back home, pushing the youngest boychild on his trike, whilst Faith rode her bike ahead of us with a bit of 'on road' training on the quieter stretches of tarmac. After an hour or so, she rode back home, with me still pushing the trike, where I picked my bike up again and did a quick 6 or 7 mile loupe around the area to stretch my legs a bit.

Back home for several beers, and some home made wine, as I'm not w*rking/driving tomorrow! :dance:

:smile:

Club ride with the H & DW
Went to Arborfield, headed through the park and spent snd the minor roads - quite pleasant

The temp tho not warm was a degree or two up on Friday and less wind.
Not done this particular ride with them before though most areas were at least vaguely familiar

Refuelled at garden centre in Arborfield and similar pleasnt return until PSSSsssss....
The fairy had visited and after a series of punctures the consensus was the tyre is past its best
Also some problems shifting. Will clean the hain and adjust the cables.

Right at the tail end was held up at levels crossings twice with two trainis each and the trains were 7 - 8 mintes apart
This was ridiculoout gates could have been opened in between.

Anyway the ride was good
52.7 miles @ 15.3 mph

1588 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/522022742

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What a lovely morning for a ride - just a pity I didn't get out until mid afternoon as the morning was spent cleaning and lubing, swapping the brake pads and fitting a new computer to the Boardman.

By the time I'd finished it was dull and overcast so I took the Kona out for a loop taking in Old Felixstowe at one end and the Port viewing area at the other with a stop in the middle at the Sunday market (20 full sized packs of just out of date crisps, 5 KitKat Chunkies and a bowl of a dozen clementines for the princely sum of £4) with the return leg including an off road section I'd not used for a long time.

After that there was still time to take the Boardman out for a quick calibration ride to check the accuracy of the new computer on the Boardman against a Garmin and it turned out to read only 0.06 miles more then the Garmin over 13.5 miles.

Top Bottom