Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tfg71

Well after a busy day my wife came into house and asked are we voting to go out on the bikes. I said let's do it. Back of 5pm last night. Same route and distance as yesterday. Was nice and pleasant weather however I swear that I had father Jack with me . Was nice to see the sun going down as we neared home and knew that a roast chicken dinner was for dinner. The weeks to the bike worked out for my wife. All in all it was good ride in nice weather.

Three rides to report;

Friday's return home was a bit of a grind with drizzle and a gusty headwind,not the most enjoyable of commutes;

https://www.strava.com/activities/520341285

Sunday was another roll out with the better half in nicer conditions although we seemed to pick the cloudiest part of the day to go out:rolleyes:,nice 20kph av with the only hiccup being my 520 and HRM mis-communicating;heart rate ranged from the 90's to the 230's:wacko:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/522147547/

Today was a steady zone 1/2 A10 commute with the HRM behaving itself,light traffic too so presume the kids are on holiday:unsure:

https://www.strava.com/activities/522721545

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Nice too have a Monday off, a quick ride down the Thames path, took the apples for the horse.
One more day in work tomorrow and back home to Wales for Easter and my youngest daughters birthday.

Hope the weather holds, me and the old road bike, Mold to Ruthin the best ride in the world. image.jpeg

Old jon

Guru
Variations on a theme again. I saw an Otley diversion on the map that had hidden from me until this morning, so decided to try it. Of course, as with every other ride I do, it has to start with my Holbeck fix, and then the usual ( for Otley ) pedal along the towpath to Viaduct Road, followed by Cardigan Road, North Lane and the climb to Lawnswood Grammar School. Across the Ring Road and then the new bit, turn Right along Church Lane at the next set of lights. Adel church is often called the oldest church in Leeds, ( there is a five millisecond glimpse of it at the beginning of the video ) but in my younger days Adel was not in Leeds, never mind the church . . .

The ride goes on. Church Lane to Arthington Road to Black Hill Lane, which is the descent at the end of the video. Turn left for Otley and sandwich demolition time. Try as I might, I could not bring to mind an alternative route home than my slog up the Leeds Road out of Otley all the way to Headingley, divert through Kirkstall and finish the 31.1 miles along the towpath to Office Lock.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've not been riding a lot lately, training for a half marathon in Bournemouth in a couple of weeks. I did manage to get out the old Dawes Kingpin today (as the roads were dry) for a quick ride to the bank and back, just about 6 miles today. It's been a good few months since I have had that bike out, but I just pumped up the tyres and it was ready to go, I love riding this bike, its so daft and the brooks saddle on it is very comfortable. It's getting warmer but not warm enough for my liking.

IMG_2977.JPG

I'm not sure if you've seen it with the new bag on.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Off around Cockermouth seemed like a good idea. Setmurthy Common is a bit of a climb but a lovely lane. Next came the climb to Wythop Mill. I dropped away missing a track so had to climb back. The track was rough and climbed quite steeply. No MtB wheels or tyres for me. 700x23c and some old fashioned bike handling. No worries but it was slow. By Jenkins Farm I'd regained the tarmac. I looped by High Lorton and then took another climb over the flanks of Whin Fell again on a rough track. Only a shepherd with his flock up here.

I dropped on roughness to Mosser and climbed over to Loweswater to take the little lane back to cross my outward route at Low Lorton and head over to Eaglesfield. Now it was time to loop again by Dean and around to Greysouthen to cross the busy A66 and another loop out to Tallantire before a standard run back. Nice outing today. 4500 feet of climbing in 46 miles with a fair bit of interesting if tough off road.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With the morning to myself, and a weak bit of sun attempting to break through the clouds, I set off for a few miles up to Salcey Forest via The Washlands cycle path and Brackmills as a short cut to Cycle Route 6 on a disused railway track. It's a shame that either end of the track at this point is not opened up fully as it'd access new vistas across the area. One day, maybe!

DSC_3516.JPG

Once into Salcey Forest, I rode round the 5 mile trail before popping into the cafe for a snack.

DSC_3519.JPG

As I didn't take a drink with me, and didn't fancy a coffee, I had a lemonade lolly instead, and kept the theme going with lemon drizzle cake to match my lemon coloured jacket.. They did have some parsnip and apple soup on sale, which I thought was a bit different!

It was a bit busy there today, with dog walkers and lots of kids doing 'activities' in the woodlands. Nice to see the little cherubs out in the fresh air, but it makes riding a bit of a pain. I doubt I'll bother going there during the Easter holidays unless I take the grandkids out for the day.
Once out of the woods, I headed back home via the Horton to Brafield road. I don't usually use this piece of tarmac as it's a bit of a rat run, but as it was fairly quiet today, it wasn't too bad. I'm glad I did though as I called into the Northampton International Raceway and had a chat with one of the chaps painting the barriers there and managed a ride around the circuit :smile:
(That adds another one to my tally of: Silverstone, Donington and Santa Pod)
There's Rods and Banger racing on over Easter, so I'll maybe get the chance to go.
When I left the racetrack, I headed homewards past Billing Aquadrome and up the hill in Great Billing.

Back in time for a quick shower and wipe the bike down before having to looking after No 1 grandson for a few hours to give Mrs Pete a break from our grandparent duties.

Just over 30 miles on the full sus in decent weather and dry(ish) trails.

https://www.strava.com/activities/522891674

:smile:

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A nice early morning ride for me today only a short 11 miles to keep the total moving.

Chilly and a bit frosty around the edges but the sun was coming up.

Just a bit further down the road from the first picture sat a buzzard but every time I got within picture distance he swooped down low to avoid his picture being taken .

Never mind it helped wake the mind and body up .

WP_20160322_001.jpg
WP_20160322_002.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Abominable software. Nasty expressions flying around. I will probably find my simple mistake tomorrow, but for today, no video.

So, an unadorned version. Thirty one miles of West Yorkshire's finest tarmac, starting from my very own front door. A wander around Holbeck, as ever, eventually crossing Crown Point Bridge, along to the three R s ( Regent, Roseville and Roundhay ), Oakwood Clock and Boot Hill, then Red Hall Lane, Skeltons Lane and Thorner Lane.

After passing the church at Thorner I did not bear right to ascend Church Hill but went straight on intending to ride through East Rigton and on to Collingham, but was tempted by the one in five drop from East Rigton to the A 58 at Bardsey, so did that instead and turned right to take the main road to Wetherby. One of the locals had the decency to let me finish my sandwich before insisting on telling me everything about my bike . . .

What was intended to be a straightforward return journey on the A 58 was enlivened by a fellow cyclist with a flat tyre. I am not up to speed on the varieties of present day bikes, but enormous knobbly tyres, four brake levers on flat bars, disc brakes and I think suspension at each end. I would need a map to use one of those. Anyway, his rubber solution ( ! ) was solid, and the patch I handed over was the first he had seen. 'Are you sure it will work like that?' he said. So I hung about until he had pressure in the tube then said goodbye and pedalled away to my front door.

BSRU

A Human Being
Managed my first 100km ride of the year yesterday, had no choice as the weather was so good:sun:.
104km with 900m of going up, so fairly easy terrain, just rolling with a short climb after 92km.
It was a little cold in the morning +2 but by the time I'd dropped the kids off at school it was +9 and rising.
So um'd and r'd about whether to risk the summer gear, finally decided on a long sleeve with a base layer which proved perfect.
My Garmin was playing silly buggers by not giving me any turn instructions but I cycled a course I've done a few times before so was able to navigate without it.

A nice view of the valley.
C0020(1).jpg

A cool cat, saw me and just moved slightly out of the way.
C0021(1).jpg

Post ride recovery started with some sultana and cherry scones:biggrin:.

Top Bottom