Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
43 miles today in the company of @ColinJ @Pale Rider @Littgull @Pennine-Paul and Colins mate Bill.

Chilly and hilly were the words today, but after the first flat 8 miles to pick up the other 3 riders, Colin lobbed us in at the deep end with the first of the climbs, the first of a few long dragging climbs, so it was pick a nice gear and winch your way up. Another group was soon overtaking us on this one and it must have looked like a Sportive was in town with how many riders were going up here... loads of people out!

After we had descended across the motorway, Colin turned the heat up further with the steep half of the ride. Four of these little leg-benders had to be cleared before we could get to the cafe, and if we hadn't already been feeling sorry for Paul on his single-speed, we definately were now as he was forced to get off and push a few times.

There was also the only mechanical of the ride when @Pale Rider 's ebike dropped its chain off the front ring, jamming it against the gearbox. We soon had it extracted and it was onwards to the cafe... Via the appropriately-named Steep Lane (it is).

The cafe was absolutely rammed with people, but it was worth the wait for a table as the food was fantastic, I'd definately stop there again :hungry:

And with that there was only the descent of Cragg Vale :hyper:and then to Hebden Bridge and then back to Todmorden.

There are two observations to take from today.

1. ebikes make very tempting drafting targets for roadies.
2. Said ebike could be seen towing two gasping roadies uphill into the wind.
3. As you think you're doing well on a steep one, that "whirr, whirr, whirr" sound from behind you is the sound of inevitability :biggrin:

Fantastic day gents, pleasure to meet you all!

https://www.strava.com/activities/521299136

Thanks to everyone for a grand day out.

And a genuine doff of my cycling cap to the company as well, these guys are strong cyclists.

Take @Pennine-Paul as an example, he rode in from somewhere, did the ride and rode off - on a single speed bike.

As I thought, my ebike did level the playing field just enough for me to keep pace.

I pulled away a tiny bit on one or two of the climbs, even giving a draft to Colin's mate Bill.

He was suitably grateful, proving us ebikers do have their uses in a roadie environment.

In any group, I think it's best to climb at your own pace.

The ebike has speed, cadence and torque sensors which gives me a sweet spot for climbing speed, I couldn't go a lot faster, but equally it's hard to go any slower.

I was hoping for a longer rest at the top of some of the climbs, but the others were barely a minute or so behind.

That long, draggy one which I helped Bill up was bordering on the enjoyable, head down, long, but steady effort.

Some of the others hills were just plain nasty, and I wouldn't mind that so much but no sooner have you got to the top, then you drop off a cliff down the other side.

Fast descending is not my thing, so the others had to wait a short while a few times for me to complete my brake test on the way down.

As @MikeW-71 mentioned, only one minor mechanical when my chain popped off the front ring and jammed around the bottom bracket.

I think it's due to a rare combination of me changing gears while pedalling hard on a climb and going over a bump.

Thanks again to Mike who helped me sort it by shoving the derailleur forward, making it much easier to remount the chain.

The cafe stop at the farm shop seemed a long time in coming, but was good when we got there, hot drinks under £2, although the food was a bit more than most us would normally pay.

Me, Paul and Mike wimped out of the last loop, giving us an easy few miles back to Todmorden.

@ColinJ and @Littgull bashed on for some more gradient punishment.

Me and Mike spent a while shooting the breeze in the car park at Todmorden, during which time we saw Bill trundle past - he left us at the cafe stop to do his own thing.

There was only time to take one pic on the ride - the bikes outside the cafe - but Mike pronounced the pace 'quite good' when we returned to the car park.

I was pleased about that, given my concerns that I might not manage to make it in fit roadie company.

Good job all round.

Calder 1.jpg

A highly enjoyable ride and great to make some new chums. Hats off to @Pale Rider and MikeW-71 for travelling all the way down from Bedale and Carlisle respectively as well as @Pennine - Paul for not only riding over from Stockport but doing the ride on a fixed too! Good to meet @ColinJ's mate Bill as well. As always I enjoyed the banter and was impressed with @Pale Rider's ebike and the technology behind it. There is definitely an art in planning a scenic challenging ride on almost entirely quiet roads and lanes and Colin's encyclopedic knowledge of the area provides a lot of enjoyment for others.

Looking forward to seeing you all on future rides.

I took a photo outside the Craggies cafe stop whilst we were all eagerly waiting to get a spare table inside and enjoy the warmth. Bill had decided to carry on riding at that point and @Pale Rider was indisposed but I'll try to upload it now.

jembullo

image.jpeg
That's my 100km ride for March done now... 63.9 miles. Met up with fellow Cyclechatter and audaxer @jembullo, with whom I did this ride last year. It was time for the 100km "Character Coln" audax again, taking in the very best of the Coln Valley from Andoversford and then on to Fernham, just South of Faringdon in Oxfordshire. It never feels like a big ride to me unless you cross into another county, so this would do niceley.
There was a choice of return routes, and Jem was always going to do the loop back to the start, while I was always going to do the re-trace so that I could take in the upper Coln Valley again. Chatted our way Southwards to Fernham, and don't know where the time went. Good company for the first half and great scenery. Thanks, Jem for the tea and cake. Before you knew it, it was time to shake hands and head back our respective ways. Turns out the straight retrace was way more brutal than the route I took last year. Hills that passed so quickly that I had barely noticed them on the way down (other than enjoying that "weee!" feeling and grinning from ear to ear) now had to be climbed .... one after the other, ending with a couple of mile drag up an old Roman road that simply refused to follow any contours but insisted on just going straight up and over everything in its path. Take it as read that I now ache from head to toe. Jem's car was long gone by the time I got back to the finish.
Some pictures that I took on the way back:
Fairford:
View attachment 122178 River Coln at Fairford:
View attachment 122179
Arlington Row, Bibury:
View attachment 122180
The upper Coln Valley:
View attachment 122181
Another 100km brevet card:
View attachment 122182
I am going to sleep so well tonight! Cheers, Donger.
Such a pleasure to ride south with you today Andy, certainly makes it go quicker when you have good company, the country side just rolled by. Before we knew it we were at the cake stop.
I have to say it was a windy slog back along the loop route but I just got my head down and kept going, quiet roads though and I just fuelled on the go. Caught up with Vicky and Tom at the airfield where the wind was once again fierce. Really missed the company though Mr Donger, I was half expecting to find you tucking into a cheese sarny when I arrived back at the hall. Anyhow, just for you I took a special picture. It would be great to do do some more rides with you this year. See you soon. Jem

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Went to Snetterton for the first day's motor racing of the season, but having checked the timetable and entry list in advance I put the Boardman in the boot for something to do during the long Lotus Speed session (timed single laps) and lunch break. I had a 15 mile loop programmed into my Garmin, but ended up extending the run to just short of 24 miles using roads I already knew as the riding was more enjoyable than the racing and warmer (6°C not including the northerly wind chill on the spectator banks).

https://www.strava.com/activities/521260501

Useless information: today was the first time I've put fuel in the car since 12th November with only 358 miles driven since then.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
View attachment 122195
....... Anyhow, just for you I took a special picture. It would be great to do do some more rides with you this year. See you soon. Jem

Ah, yes. The Freke Arms. Just thinking about that place gave me an annoying earworm all the way back ... "Ah, freak out!.....le Freak, c'est chic". Just couldn't stop myself. Must plan something for May, Jem. There don't seem to be any new local 100km audaxes that month.
Cheers, Andy.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ah, yes. The Freke Arms. Just thinking about that place gave me an annoying earworm all the way back ... "Ah, freak out!.....le Freak, c'est chic". Just couldn't stop myself. Must plan something for May, Jem. There don't seem to be any local 100km audaxes that month.
Cheers, Andy.
Me, too.

Mrs M

Guru
[QUOTE 4202248, member: 9609"]You would need big tyres on that island, the rocks are pretty abrasive, did you get up the west coast where the volcano is ?[/QUOTE]
We did go up west, in the car :blush:.
Lots of roadies out and many of them were pensioners, very impressed with their climbing skills :bicycle:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
36 and a bit miles round the North Downs this morning, notable for not one, but two punctures (well, actually a flat at the bottom of Star Hill just as I was getting into the right cadence, and a puncture halfway up New Road Hill).

Guess what? Only one spare tube on the ride.

Thankfully, my bacon was saved by a knight in shining armour (on a red Boardman) called Josh, who gave me a spare and refused any payment. If you're reading this, mate, you're a star. Thank you :okay:

Also thanks to the guys who offered to help at Star Hill, always nice to know there's help at hand if needed.

The upside was that I got to use my CO2 inflator for the first time. It did both tyres, in about two seconds each time. I could kiss the man in the LBS for selling me that.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride..

Due to finishing w*rk at stupid o'clock, I wasn't likely be up too early, and as a mate could only be out to play until 11:00 ish, it only gave us a few hours for a, mainly MTB, pedal around the local area. Still, we managed to make the most of the short time we had available.
In the end, he came over to my place, after a circuit of Pitsford Res, at 09:30 for a coffee, we then headed out to Lings Woods and the Woodland behind Overstone for a few of the trails there.

DSC_3509.JPG

As it's not a cultivated place, most of the trees that fall over are just left there as 'obstacles'. All adds to the fun though! (I could have jumped that, but I didn't want to show off :okay:)

After my mate headed home (on time, so his Mrs didn't slap him around too much) I still had a while left before needing to be home, so I rode to Holcot and down the banks of the Res and then through Moulton Village.

Untitled.jpg

A pleasant 25 miles before yet another day at the grindstone.

https://www.strava.com/activities/520905713

:smile:

13 rider

Guru
Arranged to meet mate Andy at 0930 has he only had an hour to spare so after a few weeks of riding alone it would be nice to have some company for a short while . So out at 0900 through Cropston to Rothley to meeting place on Swithland lane .Met up and set off through Swithland into Woodhouse and the Quorn .Into Mountsorrel and to Sileby back to Andy's house .He'd been out for 57 mins not bad timing as he said he wanted to be out for an hour .So after a quick stop I removed my gillet as the sun was coming out I set off again . Up into Seagrave and out under the A46 to Ragdale and down the descent into the village then the climb out of it .Into Hoby then up the Wreake valley to Thrussington and Ratcliffe on the Wreake .As I approach the bridge under the A46 before the climb to humble lane I spot a guy in full Team Sky fit going quite slowly so I hang back a bit then accelerate just before the climb I catch him as he gets out of the saddle trying to turn a big gear .A cheery good morning as I pull alongside then drop him him as I spin my way past and at the top I look back and he nowhere to been seen .I suspect he wasnt on the Sky team :laugh: If you ride in full pro kit it must be like having a target on you. Down the lovely descent of humble lane passed a rider travelling in the other direction in GB kit but I suspect that was a replica kit the way he was being caught by another roadie .Into Cossington and Rothley and Cropston were I got passed by a fellow rider so I upped the pace and hung on for a while battering along at 25 mph . A quick chat as we get to the junction he's goes right and me left .Into to Anstey and as I approach the hill I live on top off I got a roadie just in front and a hybrid a bit further ahead so what to do but chase them down as I past the roadie he grabbed my wheel so now full attack and dropped him and the past the hybrid at before the top . 34 miles done in 2 hrs 6 mins . Loads of riders out today making the most of the sunshine

Last edited:
Top Bottom