Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Up and down and around London, nice powerful tug on The Thames, image.jpeg

Mrs M

Guru
I'm still chasing this climbing challenge, but also had set myself a target of 1000 miles between January 1st and my 40th birthday, and found myself needing to make 23 miles today to hit the target. Sorry no pictures, too cold and despite doing more climbing in a single ride than ever before at 507m, and completing a metric 50, I struggled to get warm. Winter boots and thermal socks couldn't keep my toes warm either.
Not to worry, despite the rubbish weather I've hit my mileage target, and now 75% through the climbing challenge:smile:
Gonna eat me a big bit of birthday cake tonight:mrpig::mrpig:
Belated happy birthday :birthday:

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
Had polished up the bike so looking smart and wearing the new bell (ding dong).
Quite nippy today so set off then returned home shortly after for warmer gloves and a buff :cold:.
Just a local toddle about, felt good :smile:.
Planning first run this year on the road bike tomorrow. Mr M had his slipping gears fixed and a new chain put on his hybrid. Shop had a lovely Orbea fat bike on display :wub: if only :smile:

Old jon

Guru
Another day with that northeast wind. Just makes riding seem odd, as if the back tyre is flat or something. The warmup three sides of Holbeck done, the beck itself has been at about its usual level for a couple of weeks now but there is still some culvert side repair work going on.

Along the side of the bus station, Regent Street with the useless cycle lane, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock and up the hill to the Wellington pub. Turn left for Shadwell and again for Slaid Hill then right along Wike Ridge. The chorus to a song by Phil Langren popped into my mind about now

Living on the edge,
Wind in my face,
One false move,
And I'm stepping into space,
From my head to the soles of my shoes,
I'm living in the Black Mountain Blues.

Wonder why?
Through Wike and on to East Keswick, up Potts Hill to this :--

And along to Collingham, which is where the video ends. Wattle Syke to West Woods Road and Bramham, sandwich shiver and stop, Thorner followed by the three lanes, Boot Hill descent and wend my way home to complete 31.2 interesting miles. Great stuff.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
I woke up with a distinct lack of motivation today, possibly due to the fact that its mid March & colder than it was mid in December so I had to give myself a talking to & dress accordingly if I was to enjoy the planned route, which was a kind of reverse of one I really liked a couple of months ago. (the reverse thing doesn't always turn out to be so enjoyable for some reason)

The first 7 or 8 miles were kind of with the north-easterly breeze so all good but then it was the turn towards the Test Valley & headwind & also my first sighting of the many cyclists en-route today, a mountain biker with more flashing red lights than a brothel! I shared a quick laugh with him about it before heading off up towards Shootash & a little climb up before heading west for a while to through Lockerley to West Dean & then north, uphill to West Tytherley.

The temperature hadn't changed much but I had warmed up & the motivation was back as I passed through the market town of Stockbridge & up a little 7% climb before turning south & downhill towards Little Somborne where lunch was duly taken.

The last leg, a mix of tail & cross breeze, was through Braishfield, along the bumpy A27 to Whiteparish before crossing back into the north of the forest, along a nice stretch of newly laid tarmac which was a bonus & the down towards home.

62.7 very enjoyable miles as it turned out & I can honestly say not one close pass from a car despite some very narrow lanes so happy days.

https://www.strava.com/activities/520979996

001.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I have signed up for a local charity ride in May a 50 mile route with a very hilly start . So today was a pratice at the first four climbs in the first 12 miles . I have climbed them all before but never all on the same ride . So up through Newtown Linford and up the first climb of Sharply hill a steep climb but then it continues to drag up for another half mile Into Woodhouse Eaves via Maplewell Rd left at the bottom up the main St and left onto the climb straight away of Beacon hill .The biggest hill around here along drag with a couple of steep kick ups . Slow grind to the top but a PR on strava ( mind you I don't climb it very often) .A quick descent to the crossroads then left to Priory lane crossroads right here the the first climb of Priory a short steep section quick downhill to the next climb an equally steep climb but longer than the first . Made it to the top and rewarded with a quick descent of Polly Botts lane and back through Newtown and Home . 13 miles done at 14.5 mph ( quite happy with that with all the climbing) and 1118ft of climbing . I least I now I can do the first 12 miles just 38 to go but they are much flatter in comparison .I just worry about competitive me on the day as on the climb of Beacon and Priory lane had me chasing down riders in front .What is about a rider in the distance just traveling slightly slower then you ? It like someone waving cake it front of you

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After feeling cold the whole ride yesterday, I wet with a slightly warmer clothing arrangement. Perhaps unsurprisingly got too hot:rolleyes: A short 12 miles with a few humps to get the climbing numbers up. Followed by a ride to the high street with my lad, so 19 miles for me today.
Day off tomorrow, and hoping for some reasonable highlights of the Australian F1.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
I woke up with a distinct lack motivation today, possibly due to the fact that its mid March & colder than it was mid in December so I had to give myself a talking to & dress accordingly if I was to enjoy the planned route, which was a kind of reverse of one I really liked a couple of months ago. (the reverse thing doesn't always turn out to be so enjoyable for some reason)

The first 7 or 8 miles were kind of with the north-easterly breeze so all good but then it was the turn towards the Test Valley & headwind & also my first sighting of the many cyclists en-route today, a mountain biker with more flashing red lights than a brothel! I shared a quick laugh with him about it before heading off up towards Shootash & a little climb up before heading west for a while to through Lockerley to West Dean & then north, uphill to West Tytherley.

The temperature hadn't changed much but I had warmed up & the motivation was back as I passed through the market town of Stockbridge & up a little 7% climb before turning south & downhill towards Little Somborne where lunch was duly taken.

The last leg, a mix of tail & cross breeze, was through Braishfield, along the bumpy A27 to Whiteparish before crossing back into the north of the forest, along a nice stretch of newly laid tarmac which was a bonus & the down towards home.

62.7 very enjoyable miles as it turned out & I can honestly say not one close pass from a car despite some very narrow lanes so happy days.

https://www.strava.com/activities/520979996

View attachment 122138
View attachment 122139
View attachment 122141

That cant be bothered feeling is easy to enjoy and ignore, its great when your out, my problem is the commute, I keep thinking of sunny may days in Wales.

Nice bike.

Diggs

Veteran
There is a law somewhere that if you decide that the summer bike is coming out it will start raining...
Showers, a couple of punctures at the back of the group resulting in a bit of chasing back. All in all quite glad to get a ride of (just) over 30 miles.
Must have been going for it today as I felt shattered afterwards

route.jpg
3 compass.jpg

Summer bike :hyper: is back!!!!!!
summer bike.jpg

Billy Wizz

Über Member
There is a law somewhere that if you decide that the summer bike is coming out it will start raining...
Showers, a couple of punctures at the back of the group resulting in a bit of chasing back. All in all quite glad to get a ride of (just) over 30 miles.
Must have been going for it today as I felt shattered afterwards

View attachment 122168
View attachment 122169

Summer bike :hyper: is back!!!!!!
View attachment 122170

My summer bike is out tomorrow, come rain or shine.
I am sick to death of commuting like a hunchback..

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a short 14 miler here to Wells (Norfolk) and back to do some shopping. Was going to do more, but the cold drizzle put me right off.

image.jpeg

The route to Holkham from the south. Nice and quiet today.

image.jpeg

And looking back the other way. If only all roads were like this!

image.jpeg

Holkham Hall.

It's amazing how wet you can get in drizzle. I was drenched when I got to Wells.

Of course after the ride, the sun came out, not that I was bothered - a subsequent combination of roaring fire, a hot bath a Norwich win and a large beer has cheered me up no end !

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
That's my 100km ride for March done now... 63.9 miles. Met up with fellow Cyclechatter and audaxer @jembullo, with whom I did this ride last year. It was time for the 100km "Character Coln" audax again, taking in the very best of the Coln Valley from Andoversford and then on to Fernham, just South of Faringdon in Oxfordshire. It never feels like a big ride to me unless you cross into another county, so this would do niceley.
There was a choice of return routes, and Jem was always going to do the loop back to the start, while I was always going to do the re-trace so that I could take in the upper Coln Valley again. Chatted our way Southwards to Fernham, and don't know where the time went. Good company for the first half and great scenery. Thanks, Jem for the tea and cake. Before you knew it, it was time to shake hands and head back our respective ways. Turns out the straight retrace was way more brutal than the route I took last year. Hills that passed so quickly that I had barely noticed them on the way down (other than enjoying that "weee!" feeling and grinning from ear to ear) now had to be climbed .... one after the other, ending with a couple of mile drag up an old Roman road that simply refused to follow any contours but insisted on just going straight up and over everything in its path. Take it as read that I now ache from head to toe. Jem's car was long gone by the time I got back to the finish.
Some pictures that I took on the way back:
Fairford:
37 Fairford.JPG
River Coln at Fairford:
38 River Coln at Fairford.JPG

Arlington Row, Bibury:
39 Bibury.JPG

The upper Coln Valley:
40.JPG

Another 100km brevet card:
41 Brevet Card.JPG

I am going to sleep so well tonight! Cheers, Donger.

SteveF

A little ride to that there London, 56km recreational with my BiL... https://www.strava.com/activities/521291691

Out along the estuary so the usual photos of the river:
WP_20160319_11_28_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20160319_11_34_04_Pro.jpg

Along the greenway to Olympic Park and Victoria park, then on to Spitafields and a visit to Swift Cycles for a chat about N+1 (this is going to cost me !!!).. pootled to Look Mum No Hands but it was rammed and we couldn't get a table so carried on to Smithfields and the Old Red Cow for lunch (a very nice Shepherds pie) and a pint, erm, choices, choices:

WP_20160319_15_52_59_Pro.jpg

Not exactly cheap though...The Pacer Session IPA was very nice thank you very much....

Short amble to Wapping and The Prospect of Whitby and finally a pint in the Grapes (and to have a gander at Gandalf's staff) before hopping on the train back:
IMG-20160319-WA0002.jpg

All in all a very enjoyable day even if I may have consumed more calories that I burnt!!

MikeW-71

Veteran
43 miles today in the company of @ColinJ @Pale Rider @Littgull @Pennine-Paul and Colins mate Bill.

Chilly and hilly were the words today, but after the first flat 8 miles to pick up the other 3 riders, Colin lobbed us in at the deep end with the first of the climbs, the first of a few long dragging climbs, so it was pick a nice gear and winch your way up. Another group was soon overtaking us on this one and it must have looked like a Sportive was in town with how many riders were going up here... loads of people out!

After we had descended across the motorway, Colin turned the heat up further with the steep half of the ride. Four of these little leg-benders had to be cleared before we could get to the cafe, and if we hadn't already been feeling sorry for Paul on his single-speed, we definately were now as he was forced to get off and push a few times.

There was also the only mechanical of the ride when @Pale Rider 's ebike dropped its chain off the front ring, jamming it against the gearbox. We soon had it extracted and it was onwards to the cafe... Via the appropriately-named Steep Lane (it is).

The cafe was absolutely rammed with people, but it was worth the wait for a table as the food was fantastic, I'd definately stop there again :hungry:

And with that there was only the descent of Cragg Vale :hyper:and then to Hebden Bridge and then back to Todmorden.

There are two observations to take from today.

1. ebikes make very tempting drafting targets for roadies.
2. Said ebike could be seen towing two gasping roadies uphill into the wind.
3. As you think you're doing well on a steep one, that "whirr, whirr, whirr" sound from behind you is the sound of inevitability :biggrin:

That's three observations... oh well ;)

Fantastic day gents, pleasure to meet you all!

https://www.strava.com/activities/521299136

Last edited:
Top Bottom