Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Day off today and the sunshine was out so I'd decide I was going out on the bike.

I wanted to do a little more than my usual 20 miles or so and I planned a bit of an extra loop on Strava before setting off and synching to my Garmin.

It was a bit chilly when setting off (especially out of the sun) but I braved it with my shorts on and no leg warmers for the first time this year!

As always, the first couple of miles are up hill and always involve my legs grumbling and my lungs not being far behind! Once up on th stops past the quarry, I settled into my pace and then headed on Whitley Road past all of the windmills, up the steep but short road to the Royds viewing platform before double back on myself on the other side of the windmills and then down past Ingbirchworth and Scout Dike reservoirs.

The road up to Hoylandswaine roundabout has been resurfaced now and is soooo much nicer to ride on- before it was like cobbles but not as comfy!
At the roundabout I would normally come back on myself or head right into Penistone. This time I turned left over the brow of the hill then a lovely decent on the country roads down into Cawthorne. I got my bearings wrong for a moment and started to head into the village centre before remembering that I needed to have turned left!!

Past the garden centre and country park, the road heads up to Cannon Hall Farm and I've never ridden this before and the 14% and 17% were a bit tough!

Coming through High Hoyland another friendly cyclist past me and we exchanged comments about the hill we'd just come up. I then headed down past Cawthorn Park and into Darton before stopping for 10 mins mohave a drink and a snack bar. It was getting quite warm so I removed my hat from under my helmet as well as my gilet but was still glad of the long sleeved top I had on!

IMG_2728.JPG

Down to the motorway before heading up past Bretton Park and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park then on into Flockton which is always a little tricky as it is a very busy road but narrow. Lots of considerate drivers today, all getting a thumbs up or a wave of thanks from me as they held back until safe to pass.

A left turn took me off the main road and back onto the country roads past Emley mast and a long way around to head home.

IMG_2731 copy.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg

36 miles and 2,943ft of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/552294954
Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 15.48.51.png

postman

Legendary Member
I went out again today,had lunch in Otley,called to Weegmans another hot pie,then on to my fave cafe for two lattes and a bacon sarnie.Somewhere in Otley is one of my hearing aids,i lost it out of my jersey.I was faster today being on my own.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Finish work at 3.30, home at just gone 4. All the way home I'm planning...home, bike out, chuck some gear on, out and do maybe a quick 15 mile sprint round town...I havnt got long.

I drive up my road, past the local junior school and there stands my grandaughter, Hollie, 10.
Hiya Grandad...you finished work ?
I have, and I'm going for a bike ride :rolleyes:
:smile:...can i come ?
:smile:..you certainly can :okay:
wicked :bravo:...ill just go tell mum.

So plan was changed, just like that. Home, hybrid not roadbike out, no change of clothes needed, round their house...and off
8.6 miles at 8.4 mph,, over old brickpits, into countryside and back, we never stopped yapping all the way.
Best 8.6 miles i ever did i should think.

Half way back she suddenly said...thanks grandad.....What for ? I asked...for taking me with you, she said.:highfive:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Bit tired this morning but I had an appointment in Maryport which the bus timetable would not fit well. So I took to the lanesy route by Papcastle and Broughton Moor. I found the care home where my mother is currently installed at the first attempt.

Much later for my way back I decided to try an unknown route. I found the ride along the coast to be very pleasant until the bike path took me away and onto the "wrong" side of the road. I guessed where I should turn inland and got that wrong. I did a few unnecessary miles as a result but found my way eventually. That drag up to Tallantire doesn't get any easier that's for sure.

Quite a successful visit today and I've now sorted another lansey route for future use.

gavgav

Guru
Started my new managerial job on Tuesday and it's been nothing short of manic. The archetypal problem of being promoted in your own department is that all your previous job comes with you until you can recruit your replacement. :cry: This meant I was in serious need of a chill out this evening and so got out for the warmest ride of the year so far, with just a t-shirt needed on the upper body :hyper:. It's bound to change, as I'm off on holiday with @Rickshaw Phil soon and I have previous form with :cold::rain:

One of my regular evening routes, up over Lyth Hill, setting my 2 fastest Strava times up the hill and then down to Exfords Green and to dads for a 10 minute chat.

Continued on to Ryton and Longnor, before turning North/East for what is a nice flat fast section when the wind is behind you......it wasn't, it was in my face for most of the next 12 miles and a real slog at times through Acton Burnell and Pitchford.

I was aware of a car sitting patiently behind me on a section that is fairly wide for a B road, and it came past me once the straighter section arrived, with loads of room. It was a lady with the "P" plates on, for a new driver and she could certainly teach a lot of more "experienced" drivers a thing or 2 about how to pass a cyclist. :okay: Very impressive.

Arrived home having done 21.3 miles at 11.9mph avg. I also passed the 4000th mile since I've been recording rides on Strava, which began in August 2013.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
What a difference a day makes. Deserted roads today on the other side of the pond. Compare and contrast to the Maidstone area of Kent the other day.

Great pics Donger and I agree there's some great country around there. I must go back with a bike next time. Mrs G and I stayed at that very hotel a few years back and loved it. I never knew you could see the UK so clearly from France on a good day.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Great pics Donger and I agree there's some great country around there. I must go back with a bike next time. Mrs G and I stayed at that very hotel a few years back and loved it. I never knew you could see the UK so clearly from France on a good day.
Yes. Might have been a bit hazy today, but got these shots last year when riding to Cap Gris Nez:
94 Cap Gris-Nez.jpg

97 White cliffs of Dover.jpg
By the way, if you ever stay at the Atlantic again, you must try the "La Speranza" restaurant a couple of doors down. Our favourite restaurant anywhere. Donger.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Finish work at 3.30, home at just gone 4. All the way home I'm planning...home, bike out, chuck some gear on, out and do maybe a quick 15 mile sprint round town...I havnt got long.

I drive up my road, past the local junior school and there stands my grandaughter, Hollie, 10.
Hiya Grandad...you finished work ?
I have, and I'm going for a bike ride :rolleyes:
:smile:...can i come ?
:smile:..you certainly can :okay:
wicked :bravo:...ill just go tell mum.

So plan was changed, just like that. Home, hybrid not roadbike out, no change of clothes needed, round their house...and off
8.6 miles at 8.4 mph,, over old brickpits, into countryside and back, we never stopped yapping all the way.
Best 8.6 miles i ever did i should think.

Half way back she suddenly said...thanks grandad.....What for ? I asked...for taking me with you, she said.:highfive:
Fantastic

Reactions: gbb

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
For once I actually had a plan for my ride today, involving a nice ride out through Weybridge, Walton and on to Hampton Court before a pootle round Bushey Park and home. Even had the wind direction sorted for a tailwind home. Really should know better....
10 minutes before I go out, SWMBO rings, daughter has left PE kit at home and needs at school. Righty ho then, I'll go the other way instead.
Ended up in my usual stomping ground of WGP, complete with the odd rain shower. Bizarre this weather, I was back in longs today. Brief stop for a pic when I realised you could see the horse from this side, not noticed it before.
22 April 2016 Horse & Castle.jpg

Got the castle in too.
Nice enough 21 miles, but missing the :sun:already. Of minor significance, todays ride saw the Planet X RT-58 hit just over 1000 miles. Quite enjoying my spur of the moment buy which I blame entirely on this forum.^_^

Went out for a ride, did some intervals in the Chertsey area, or at lesat tried, seem to hit roadworks so often these days

Double back across Chobham Common and through Sunningdale, Sunninghill, and up to the Drift Road circuit where I did one lap.
Just got to the top of Hawthorn Hill when I had a puncture.
There seemed to be a really heavy leak near the valve but could not locate exactly. Convinced there was no glass etc in the tyre, fitted the innter tube and eventually contuniued. Had been asked by a friendly local if I was OK and did I need any tools?

Back through the park, going through the deer park.

Fuund the conditions not pleasant.
Not exactly a strong wind but a rather chilly east wind, and it never quite rained but there were lots of semi-showers.

Was going to text Mrs S to let her know when realised I'd left the mobile at home, and also had not money beyond the lossed change - about £3 or £4
Fortunately was ok

40.81 miles @ 17.5 mph
1430 feet climbed

So pleased to be keeping up this speed

https://www.strava.com/activities/553279459

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Cor ! Proper riding weather. Well that is all the excuse I need to cycle off. I suppose I was feeling silly or something, 'cos I turned left at the Oakwood Clock to climb even further up the hill to Canal Gardens, past that to turn right and cross the Ring Road for that really stiff climb up to Slaid Hill. All the effort is rewarded with the ride along Wike Ridge, through Wike

and along to East Keswick. I took a turn off the Collingham road to look at the bridge in Linton, one of the piers sank a bit in the floods, the parapets and roadway have done the same of course, so Linton is now blessed with a reverse hump backed bridge. Hmmm.
Anyway, back on track, the Wetherby roundabout and then to Bramham, Thorner, the lanes to the A 58 and my favourite descent even with no bus to race then home with 31.3 miles on the clock. OK, not a clock, a little battery powered black box. Some habits of speech are hard to shake.

Top Bottom