Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another sunny commute this morning although it was a bit nip and the toes were chilly and made me wish I'd put my nice cosy This Is Cambridge Omloop socks on:cold:.

Still a nice ride in at a nice steady pace;

https://www.strava.com/activities/550988104

Hope to go out on a long 'un tomorrow and hope the weather holds out until then;don't mind it being a bit cold if it's sunny and dry.

That's a long commute, I didn't realise Ely was so far from Cambridge.

Old jon

Guru
Hi @Old jon - I know that hill down to Collingham well. It used to be a fairly regular route but I stopped riding it early in the winter due to the never ending amount of mud and pig poo washed down it (inconsiderate farmer!) and I haven't been out that way since the bridge at Linton was damaged in the Boxing Day floods and closed. I might have to have a pedal out that way when I get chance.

Aye up @NorthernDave , yup, there is still a fair amount of debris on the road surface, not that there is a great deal of surface there anyway ! Gravity, terrible stuff.

The views from the top of the ridge, far side of Wharfedale to the left I think, and quite a distance away on the right a dark shape that could be cloud or the North Yorkshire Moors. Far side of Thirsk anyway, methinks. Will have to look at a map sometime . . .

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another 20 miles today. The original plan was that I was going to got for a MTB ride, but the fragrant Mrs P decided she fancied a shortish ride out for coffee and back before work. So down to Blewbury, along the country lanes to Aston Upthorpe, South Moreton, North Moreton and through the delightful village of Brightwell-cum-Sotwell. A gorgeous day, bright and sunny with a fresh breeze. We stopped off at the Root One garden centre for a coffee and a bacon sarny then headed back again more or less the way we came with short diversion via East & West Hagbourne, where a twit in a Merc pulled out in front of me. The pillock.

A short video for you if you can be bothered

GOPR0960.JPG

Off she goes

GOPR0962.JPG

A lovely clear day

GOPR0963.JPG

GOPR0964.JPG

GOPR0970.JPG

Its nice to see a bit of colour in the gardens now,

GOPR0972.JPG

GOPR0978.JPG

map.jpg

All in all a very nice ride out.

Attachments

• version.txt
    95 bytes · Views: 78
Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Hiya @CarlP , your video seems to be private, You Tube can be odd with videos . . .

A bright day again. I will likely be wearing my legs out at this rate. A repeat of a ride I did last week, that was not exactly what I intended. My usual wander around Holbeck leaving me pointing along Great Wilson Street, through Hunslet and the climb to John O' Gaunts. Through Woodlesford, Rothwell Cycles shut again, and to Garforth via Swillington. Garforth cliff is still very steep, then follow the A 63 past the old Boot and Shoe and turn off for Sherburn. Left along Sir Robert's Road, I had thought about going to Barkston Ash and Saxton, past Lotherton Gates, turn right for Aberford, through to the left for Barwick in Elmet, the video does not really show how steep that hill is, and the tag end of Barwick goes even higher . . .

then drops down to Scholes

so you can climb up through Scholes . . . Mind, I would not do it if I did not like it. A bit of A 64, the three connected lanes and Boot Hill made it up to 34.9 miles of rather enjoyable riding.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Another 20 miles today. The original plan was that I was going to got for a MTB ride, but the fragrant Mrs P decided she fancied a shortish ride out for coffee and back before work. So down to Blewbury, along the country lanes to Aston Upthorpe, South Moreton, North Moreton and through the delightful village of Brightwell-cum-Sotwell. A gorgeous day, bright and sunny with a fresh breeze. We stopped off at the Root One garden centre for a coffee and a bacon sarny then headed back again more or less the way we came with short diversion via East & West Hagbourne, where a twit in a Merc pulled out in front of me. The pillock.

A short video for you if you can be bothered

View attachment 125506

Off she goes

View attachment 125507

A lovely clear day

View attachment 125508

View attachment 125509

View attachment 125510

Its nice to see a bit of colour in the gardens now,

View attachment 125511

View attachment 125513

View attachment 125514

All in all a very nice ride out.

What camera are you using @CarlP ? I presume the stills are taken from the same given the location?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After finishing w*rk @ 0200hrs, I really wasn't feeling the mood for a ride this morning. Instead I opted to build some of the furniture for the campervan and walk the dogs. Post lunch was lovely, so dragged the RT-58 out and headed off on some roads I've not used for a long time. Out through Thorpe, Chertsey Adddlestone and Byfleet. Got to Brooklands and headed up to have a look at Mercedes Benz World, few people playing on the skid pan
20th April 2016 MB Skidpan.jpg

Headed back through Weybridge before crossing over my route outwards at Addlestone, finishing off heading home through Ottershaw, Foxhills and Virginia Water.
22.7 miles of being a mobile billboard for this forum in my Cyclechat jersey.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
What camera are you using @CarlP ? I presume the stills are taken from the same given the location?

It's an old Go Pro, one of the original ones.

Edit: @cosmicbike I should add that you can either take stills or video with the Go Pro, but you probably know that. I rarely use it cos mainly I cant be bothered, but I found the thing at the bottom of a drawer the other day and I thought I'd make the effort.

Last edited:
Went out - it was rather cold when I started so more gear on , by the time I wasback it was quite pleasant.

Went on a most convoluted route round Egham Thorpe Virginia Water, CHobham and Addlestone and back via Chertsey

Did a short test run in the middle (5 minutes hard) and pretty good pace the rest of the time

31.75 miles @ 17.2 mph

1007 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/551142994/

Bryony

Veteran
Off on a Channel-hopping hol at the moment, so called in at Castle Donger, our country residence, on the way. (Actually Leeds Castle in Kent). Got up and out before 07:00 this morning and snuck a quick look at the moat (Though cycling in the grounds is frowned upon,there was nobody else around).
View attachment 125460
Did a nice little 16 miler before breakfast, looping around anti-clockwise from Leeds Castle through the North Downs. Not sure what I expected to see, but Kentish oast houses were on my wish list. Didn't have to wait long:
View attachment 125462
Passed quite a few spectacular bluebell woods on the way:
View attachment 125464
And some nice little villages, like this one (Lenham):
View attachment 125465
Unfortunately, cossing the godawful A20 just after Lenham somewhat spoiled my ride. Car after car, spaced out evenly and doing about 50mph made it an almost impossible task to cross the road by bike. I ended up getting off, pushing it about 20 yards to my right (across the road I was on), sprinting across to a traffic island after about 5 minutes wait, then sprinting across the other half of the A20 and pushing the bike across the road I wanted to be on. All in all had to push across 3 roads to get across one. Nightmare traffic. Soon improved, though, as I got into the North Downs proper and the hedgerows got higher and the grass started to grow in the middle of the roads. Though lovely, some of these lanes are still quite a commuter rat run at 7ish in the morning.
View attachment 125466
Some lovely rolling North Downs countryside, and the rat run traffic started to die down by 8:00.
View attachment 125467 Came back via another nice village, Hollingbourne, before making a big mistake. As I was turning left into a little lane a couple of miles from "home", I paused to let a local bus go by. He gave me a cheery wave and a hoot of the horn by way of thanks .... then almost immediately got stuck in a nose-to-tail traffic jam in both directions that brought all movement to a halt for about 10 minutes while people reversed out of the bus's way. Must have been 30 vehicles held up in each direction down a tiny little lane. Does this happen every day around here?
View attachment 125468 No sooner had I got out of that mess, than I had to cross (and join) the A20 again to get back to Leeds Castle. Fortunately this was easy enough as the A road was ground to a halt too. Half cycled, half scooted my way along the inside of the traffic for about a quarter of a mile, overtaking at least 100 cars in the process.
View attachment 125469 Got back to the castle in time for a quick shower and a hearty breakfast. Have to say I liked the countryside around this part of Kent (to the east of Maidstone), but I thank my lucky stars I do most of my cycling in Gloucestershire. The early morning traffic around here must be morale-sapping for any local cyclists .... Couldn't hack it on a regular basis. Off to the other side of the Channel for a couple of days now ... and I know the roads will be quieter there. Can't wait.
Cheers, Donger.
Thanks for sharing those photos, its bought back some lovely memories!! I used to live in Lenham. I lived in Church Square (by the church obviously!!) My house backed on to the bakery. I used to work in the Dog and Bear Hotel. Its a lovely village and I miss living there. Unfortunately the A20 can be a pain to cross and its even worse if the M20 is closed for operation stack.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With the sun shining in the sky, but the temperature quite low, I was up early so I could get over to a mate's house by 09:30.
I decided on the bare leg and fingerless glove option, so was a bit nippy until I got the blood pumping! My route to the other side of town was mainly on cycle paths that are particularly lumpy on a Road bike :blink:Still, at rush hour it is the safest and easiest way to where I needed to be. On the way, I said a 'hello' to a fellow cyclist, and as we were heading in the same direction, we rode together. A it transpired, he was the chairman of the local CTC club, on his way to join some others for a pedal up to Whilton. His meeting place was about 100 yards from my mates house, so it was good to have a chat on the way.
After a coffee at his, we set off with the intention of a shortish ride as he has been off the bike for a while due to stuff going on.
We headed out via Blisworth, Stoke Bruerne, Ashton and Hartwell before a quick 'round the block' and back to Hartwell as it was a bit too soon for a cake stop at Salcey Forest.

DSC_3691.JPG

Darn near swallowed his fingers there!!!
After a quite long stop, we headed back towards town and went our separate ways at Wooton. He finished on 21 miles but I still had the time and inclination to carry on for a longer ride so added a bit of a loupe around @biggs682 usual roads, (though much later in the day than his usual early rides!)

Blue skies.jpg

With skies like this, it'd be such a shame to waste it! Having said that, there was a cheeky headwind, blowing from the east, on my way back. Not strong, or very cold, but enough to have to push the pedals a tad harder..

Untitled.png

Back home on 46 miles at 15.6 mph average, which is fast for me!, in beautiful Spring weather in time to pick my granddaughter up from school, make a pizza with her before dropping her at Brownies.

https://www.strava.com/activities/551228315

:smile:

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Due to suffering from the lurgy for what feels like most of the month (last week!) I've struggled to get my imperial century for the month done. Looking at the weather forecast today was looking like the only decent day to get it done, so being inspired by some of @MickeyBlueEyes commutes I decided to take the morning off work and ride 100 miles to work.

I needed to be at my desk by 13:15 so decided if I was to get something to eat and get cleaned up after the ride I would need to set off at 05:30, 06:00 at the latest.

Got up at 04:45 and after getting to bed late due to a scout group meeting last night I was tired before I set off. Cup of tea, couple slices of toast and a bowl of cornflakes later and I was out of the door just after 05:30.

Needed lights for the first hour or so, but once the sun was up it was blue sky all the way. Only problem with clear skies this time of the year is that it is normally frosty, especially once you get out into the sticks. So it was a tad chilly and some of the grass verges very frosty and a saw a fair few drivers de-icing their cars.

At 70 miles I stopped and re-stocked the drinks and ate a Wispa - pure chocolate my favourite long distance snack. Decided at this point to take off the full finger gloves and put on the fingerless ones. Two minutes later I stopped and put the full finger gloves back on, was still cold at 10:00.

By mile 85 I was struggling and stopped for five minutes, even though I've got rid of the lurgy I still have a nasty cough and I think it caught up with me. Anyway another Wispa and a can of coke and I was on my way again.

Ending up going straight by the abode of @13 rider and gave a wave :hello:

At 99 miles I knew I was making good time, so detoured off the route (was planning on 101 miles) to a Tesco local store to grab some grub to eat once I got to work, buggers had chocolate on offer, so just had to buy some more - now in the fridge.

As I got to work I was a couple of tenths short of 105 miles, so I went around the block and finished on 105.33 miles at an average of 15.77mph

When I got into work the banking hadn't been done, so I jumped back on the bike and did another 9 miles for the banking, coupled with a short ride home tonight finished the day on just over 126 miles, a 200km commuting day, a bit knackered now :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/551216743

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Due to suffering from the lurgy for what feels like most of the month (last week!) I've struggled to get my imperial century for the month done. Looking at the weather forecast today was looking like the only decent day to get it done, so being inspired by some of @MickeyBlueEyes commutes I decided to take the morning off work and ride 100 miles to work.

I needed to be at my desk by 13:15 so decided if I was to get something to eat and get cleaned up after the ride I would need to set off at 05:30, 06:00 at the latest.

Got up at 04:45 and after getting to bed late due to a scout group meeting last night I was tired before I set off. Cup of tea, couple slices of toast and a bowl of cornflakes later and I was out of the door just after 05:30.

Needed lights for the first hour or so, but once the sun was up it was blue sky all the way. Only problem with clear skies this time of the year is that it is normally frosty, especially once you get out into the sticks. So it was a tad chilly and some of the grass verges very frosty and a saw a fair few drivers de-icing their cars.

At 70 miles I stopped and re-stocked the drinks and ate a Wispa - pure chocolate my favourite long distance snack. Decided at this point to take off the full finger gloves and put on the fingerless ones. Two minutes later I stopped and put the full finger gloves back on, was still cold at 10:00.

By mile 85 I was struggling and stopped for five minutes, even though I've got rid of the lurgy I still have a nasty cough and I think it caught up with me. Anyway another Wispa and a can of coke and I was on my way again.

Ending up going straight by the abode of @13 rider and gave a wave :hello:

At 99 miles I knew I was making good time, so detoured off the route (was planning on 101 miles) to a Tesco local store to grab some grub to eat once I got to work, buggers had chocolate on offer, so just had to buy some more - now in the fridge.

As I got to work I was a couple of tenths short of 105 miles, so I went around the block and finished on 105.33 miles at an average of 15.77mph

When I got into work the banking hadn't been done, so I jumped back on the bike and did another 9 miles for the banking, coupled with a short ride home tonight finished the day on just over 126 miles, a 200km commuting day, a bit knackered now :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/551216743
:notworthy:

Top Bottom