Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
IMG_20160416_150230450.jpg
On Saturday I had a very brief ride on Dartmoor.

I had to go down with an empty car to pick my son and three others up from a Ten Tors practice hike. I went down a bit earlier than requested with the thought of getting a ride along the Granite Trail in.

However, on arrival the Explorer leader told me that the team had made excellent time and were going to be in early. He pointed me in their general direction and off I went on my Defy. My son was very surprised to see me turn up like that.

It was a stunningly beautiful afternoon. So although I drove 200 miles for a 1.8mile ride, it was very enjoyable.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday's ride, as usual..
After a late finish, with ice being scraped off the car, and an 01:30 bedtime, I was up at 07:30 to ride the long way round to No.1 daughters house so she could drive us to Pitsford Res for a reasonably fast walk round.

DSC_3648.JPG

The frost was still in the shady bits on the way over, but in the clearings, it was defrosted and steaming gently in the sunshine. Surprisingly, there were no dog walkers in the woods I cut through. Usually I see the same people out and about and wave a 'hello' at them.

After 7 miles, I was at her house where I had a quick cuppa before we headed off.

DSC_3652.JPG

Once we'd completed the 7 mile circuit, I treated us to an ice cream. By the time we'd finished, it was, as expected, heaving there with walkers, joggers, dogs, bikes and flies! Still, all part of a beautiful sunny Sunday. Still, at least we missed most of the crowds as we were there earlyish.

Once back at hers, the rest of the family had gone out for some fresh air as well, so I had drink before aiming off vaguely homewards but wanted to stretch my legs a bit more. I then rode down towards Billing and the banks of the River Nene and the Washlands to the back side of Billing Aquadrome (heaving as well) to a quieter track home.

IMG_20160417_180520.jpg

Apart from all the cables and pylons spoiling the view, it's a lovely peaceful place to ride.

Back home on a total of 23 miles, with 7 walked and 16 miles ridden just in time to shower, have some lunch and go to w*rk.. Boooo.

The ride(s):
https://www.strava.com/activities/548027363
The walk, part of her London Marathon training for next Sunday:
https://www.strava.com/activities/547878995

:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Winter miles equals summer smil - ... No, wait, fools rush in. Out today on Patsy #1 The Carbon (only about the third time this year I've used her) and thought 'this is brilliant!' - I was riding my #1 bike, I had on shorts and no arm warmers, those winter miles were surely paying off.
No, the sun may have been ahead of me, but I had made the rookie mistake of forgetting such a terrific increase in speed from not using Patsy #2 The CX was not because of using a lighter bike, but that I had quite the tailwind.
9 miles out at Kirton I turned back into a wicked headwind and looming rain clouds.
It was a race I won, but I think I need to take the time to look at the weather forecast more often. :whistle:

U

User33236

My ride yesterday (didn't get time to comment on it last night so please do forgive me that it's not a 'today' ride :laugh:) was the some what misnamed Manchester - Chester - Manchester Sportive which starts form a leisure centre in Poynton and runs out into Cheshire , omitting Chester itself by a number of miles, before returning to the leisure centre. Listed as a 100 mile ride we ended up doing 105. We had one small detour of about a mile due to a misplaced / confusing marker. Overall the course seemed to be a mile or three longer than stated but then it's better long than too short ^_^.

Was my first big ride after breaking my wrist mid January which kept me off the bike entirely for 7 weeks and slow build up after, my longest ride being 30 miles. Overall in was well organised and very enjoyable in the knowledge you have a hotdog and onions waiting for you at the finish.

My fitness was certainly tested with the last 30 or so miles being hard work but overall I'm happy with my time of 6:45 given it's my first real long ride in over 13 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three rides over the week-end;

First was the club Saturday run and as it was making it's way through Ely from Witchford(usual Saturday start) thought I'd join up as they were going through.So ambled down to were I usually join and as I was a bit early thought I'd keep going at an easy pace and they would catch me up rather than hanging about in the cold drizzle.

So,kept going and no sign,got to Littleport and over the roundabout and on to black horse drove;kept going and after a bit saw a group ahead but when I got a bit closer realised it was the easy group(they go via a slightly shorter route)so after a quick nature stop carried on and with still no sign of the mods I sped up to catch the first group where I was told"Oh there's only one group today":rolleyes:,

Rode to the Welney bird place for the stop and carried on back with them before jumping off and taking the short cut back to Ely as had a few things to do at home.

Not the nicest of days but the Sportful no rain kit kept dry and snug.

https://www.strava.com/activities/546826852

Yesterday was two rides;

First a little 20kms with the better half;

https://www.strava.com/activities/547940449

And then a blast on my own;

https://www.strava.com/activities/548155779

A good 260kms for the week although still haven't done a proper long ride yet this month but hopefully will get one in this week.

No ride today,but should be a commute tomorrow and weather permitting a long one on Thursday:bicycle:.

Old jon

Guru
Do weather forecasters ever look out of the window? I looked and better looked around all points of the compass. Could I see any fog? Could I sniff. So off went I in the direction of away, which is a different way of saying 'three sides of Holbeck' I guess. Into Hunslet and quickly out again to cross the river at Crown Point Bridge, and a very brisk ride up to the clock at Oakwood. The weather was being very kind. Boot Hill not quite so sprightly, but still wind assisted, and turn right at the top on Red Hall Lane, Skeltons Lane and Thorner Lane. Through Thorner and take the left branch at the bottom of Church Hill ( Milner Lane ? ) which takes you ( me ) towards East Rigton. There is a slightly too long sharp hill after the last of the houses, at the top of which is another Thorner Lane. Glad I am not a postman. In East Rigton turn right onto Rigton Green which eventually drops into Collingham. I do like this road, just wish there was a bit more of it.

Turn right on the A 58 and pedal away to Wetherby and a sandwich or two at the side of the river. Well fed but inspiration free, I simply rode all the way back to Leeds along the A 58, into what was often a brutal headwind, to clock up 29.9 miles as I reached my front door.

BSRU

A Human Being
Managed to get out for an "easy" 103km this morning, with just 950m of going up:okay:.
Tried a new route today which was nice, although most of the new route was familiar as I have driven them while working at some time in the recent past.

This bridge was a little waterlogged, decided to walk it as I did know if there where any surprises hidden by the muddy water:eek:.
C0003(4).jpg

A little off roading on the road, took very carefully down this lane:eek:.
C0004(2).jpg

Seemed as soon as I crossed into Gloucestershire there was dry stone walls everywhere:bicycle:.
C0001(2).jpg

Recovery started with home made flapjacks and the remaining home made Victoria sponge^_^.

Stevec047

Über Member
My last two rides (Saturday and tonight) have consisted of 7.5 miles and 5 miles on the turbo trainer. After just getting over another chest infection and sinsus problems I nearly went out on Saturday mid morning after checking the bike over only to go back inside to get kitted up for the heavens to open and the temputure to drop.

Safe to say I decided to bring the bike inside just to get some time in the saddle in. Tonight I was just being lazy after a long day at work but knew I would feel better to do a few miles and it has worked.

Fingers crossed that the weather picks up for the weekend but if not I will keep plugging away on the turbo for the rest of the week.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A very quick blast out in the road bike this afternoon to blow the cobwebs off it and to tweak the cleats in my shoes.

Down to Blewbury, Aston Upthorpe where a twunt in a Ford Fiasco passed me on a blind bend then slowed making me brake, then the plank stopped to turn right! It's a good job I was in a good mood other wise we might have had a full and frank exchange of views. Feckin arsewipe.

On to South Moreton then to Wallingford where I thought I'd look in the rather splendid bike shop Rides On Air and had a sniff around and a coffee and banana cake. I had nice chat with the owner about old Raleigh Twenties and Dawes Kingpins.

Then back home via Cholsey along the very busy and lumpy A417.

18.51 chilly dry miles, it was fab being out on the best bike again.

image.jpeg

The fields are turning yellow.

image.jpeg

Coffee and banana cake.

image.jpeg

Baby baa lambs...again.

image.jpeg

Great bike shop this.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

18.5 miles

Edit, just noticed I went out without spare tube and tools. Whoops!

Last edited:
My last two rides (Saturday and tonight) have consisted of 7.5 miles and 5 miles on the turbo trainer. After just getting over another chest infection and sinsus problems I nearly went out on Saturday mid morning after checking the bike over only to go back inside to get kitted up for the heavens to open and the temputure to drop.

Safe to say I decided to bring the bike inside just to get some time in the saddle in. Tonight I was just being lazy after a long day at work but knew I would feel better to do a few miles and it has worked.

Fingers crossed that the weather picks up for the weekend but if not I will keep plugging away on the turbo for the rest of the week.
Don't push yourself if you're not well. It will only take longer to get well.

Osprey

Guru
Yesterdays ride, a beautiful sunny spring late afternoon run down the North Gower estuary and back down the Carmarthenshire coastline to Llanelli before taking the cycle route up Swiss Valley as far as Cynheidre before turning and retracing my steps. The final few miles down the North Gower road into a very low blinding sunset was quite concerning as to how visible I was to the traffic coming from behind. Thankfully no dramas and a very pleasant 34 miles was had.

https://www.strava.com/activities/549532369

Nice commute in this morning and bright enough to wear shades:becool:;nice steady run down the A10 and then in to that Cambridge via the Cam cycle path,stopped as a runner warned me about some loose horses that had been about recently but the only things I had to avoid were the usual rowing coaches.
Got in to the city and had a coffee and cake at the Espresso Library:cuppa: before the usual poodle down Mill Rd to work.

Good 31kms and 600kms up for the month:thumbsup:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/549887003

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Out again on Patsy #1 The Carbon - this time South of The River. A lovely little spin of 15 miles to the outskirts of Holbrook and back (via Ipswich marina). I saw quite few other cyclists and also noted a couple of woods hereabouts where, in about a week's time, the bluebells will be in full bloom. Should be worth a re-visit.

This overlooking the old north part of Tattingstone. (Alton reservoir has cut it off from the main section.)

Out down South 002.JPG

Top Bottom