Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After showering and having something to eat after this mornings ride Mrs Dave said "what are we doing now?"
We ended up going out on our road bikes. She hasn't been on hers in ages and after commuting to work on a hybrid, then in Holland on a fully loaded tandem she realised that her Trek Lexa is very nice indeed.
Down to Boxworth and on past the highland cows through Connington where we saw a fella In a bright pink Planet X and pink overshoes, top bloke!
Over the A14 into Fenstanton, then before you know it, we're in St Ives, I forget that we end up here....
She gave it some welly coming back down the busway. Yesterday we were cycling in Holland....

image.jpeg

Cambridgeshire windmills too! And a space ship.....

She's amazed how much stronger she feels from doing all the tandem riding which is grand!

26 miles this afternoon, mostly sunny.

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/548301758/

Last edited:
Just a short one to Stokes Bay and back today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/548284292

The actual purpose of the ride was to scope out where the St. John's Ambulance place was, I'm doing another First Aid course next weekend.

image.jpeg

Cake in the sun:hungry:.

image.jpeg

Lovely day down there today.

image.jpeg

Memorial to the Canadian troops, who left for Normandy in WWII.:thumbsup:

Then onwards to my mum's place to pick this up.

image.jpeg

So now it's all official:thumbsup:.

A nice day, a nice ride.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Apologies, I'm a day late (again...)

Stuff to do yesterday morning, so it was gone 1 o'clock by the time I'd finally got out on the bike. I'd forgotten to check the forecast before setting off, but the bright sunshine made a nice change. I had a tricky side wind as I rode up Leeds Road to Scholes, but I was quite sheltered on the run up to Barwick by either hedgerows or the lie of the land. And the side wind became a tailwind as I turned down Long Lane to Garforth ^_^ (downhill with the wind at your back - cycling bliss!).
From Garforth it was the A642 up to Aberford, with a quick zip along Bunkers Hill into the wind and then right and under the A1(M) bridge and up the hill to Lotherton Hall. Along Copley Lane to the Coldhill Lane towards Saxton, where I stopped just short of the village at Linda's Bench for a drink and a couple of photos:
IMG_20160416_142102256_2.jpg
IMG_20160416_142114808_2.jpg

Don't be fooled by the blue sky - looking around there were showers lingering about (but more on that later). It was weird looking down at the three power stations of the Aire Valley, but with nothing coming from the cooling towers at Ferrybridge now the coal fired plant has closed (you can just make out the cooling towers of Drax and Eggborough in the pics above).
Back on the bike and up to Towton and the A162, then past the Ulleskelf turning (where a numpty in a Vectra looked straight at me, then pulled out, paused, looked at me again and then drove on the wrong side of the road...) and down the hill, taking the left to Stutton.
Cock Beck was in full flow, unsurprisingly given the rain we've had this week. Over the bridge and up through the village then on towards the Garnet Lane climb as the sky started to darken.
A few spots of rain, then a few more, then it started hailing giving me extra encouragement to get a wriggle on to the slight shelter of the trees.
It only lasted a few minutes but hail stones don't half smart don't they?
Anyway, over the bridge above the A64 and on towards Bramham.
As I turned onto Toulston Lane the weather did that freaky sort of thing that you can only get in Britain. I was cycling along in bright sunshine, with blue sky to my left. However the wind was really blowing across from the right peppering me with more hailstones being blown pretty much horizontally from that side of the road where it was getting darker by the minute. With nowhere to shelter I pressed on, admiring just how much hailstones do sting :headshake:
Arriving at the top of Bramham as the hailing stopped, I turned right to tackle the Windmill in the best direction (downhill), although this was largely into the wind so no new record set today. Along the lane and just as the road narrows going into Clifford another numpty in a Peugeot saw me approaching and decided that he simply couldn't possibly wait one second and drove his car right in the middle of the gap forcing me to all but stop.:dry:
Through Clifford and the quick descent into Bramham, then the Col de Town Hill, although any hope of a quick (wind assisted) time was dashed by yet another numpty in a car on the approach.
Back down and round to to the bridge over the A1(M), then the long run to Thorner via Wothersome Dip, with the wind largely behind me at times (very unusual on this stretch). Through the village and the long climb up to Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road and on to home with a couple of quick loops round the block to ensure I got a metric half in.

31.51 miles (50.71 km) in 2 hrs 12 min, at an average of 14.2 mph and 1,866 feet climbed, which will do me nicely.
It's another metric half to add to the challenge and on a day when I wasn't sure I'd get out at all, or for how long if I did - so it's all good, despite the "interesting" weather.
Quite a few other cyclists out too, which is always nice to see.
16042016.jpg

Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Solo ride today headed out early decided on winter jersey and fingerless gloves regretted that after a couple of miles as my fingers were bloomin cold ! Manned it out though lol. Went through Taplow Cliveden up to Beaconsfield through to Hazlemere (where I grew up) then off to Hughenden Wycombe Marlow Henley where the river looked bootiful in the sunshine...

image_zps65m1vocp.jpe

image_zpsokkg4dyo.jpe

Henley Bridge...
image_zpsxjvge8rz.jpe

Then pushed on up Henley hill to Velolife cafe at Warren Row for a couple of Lattes and a piece of cracking Lemon drizzle cake. Then headed through towards Twyford White Waltham and home. Very uneventful but have completely fallen in love with my new bike time to get rid of the fugly pedals now and get something a bit more sleek :biggrin:.

Just over 48.5 miles in 2 hours 48 with 1597 ft of climbing and a 17.4 mph avg.

https://www.strava.com/activities/547877373

Cheers
Mark

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Club run with the H & DW
Weather was odd, started really cold with a hard frost
When the sun was out and we were in a more sheltered place it seemed OK
Sun in and it seemed different

We went to Marlow, going via Old Windsor, Eton Dorney, Maidenhead and Cookham
Garden centre where our stop was, was outside Marlow at the top of a fairish hill

Suitably replenished (though not with anything hot as there was apparently a fair wait), we headed through Hurley and Warren Row
Those who hadn't seen it had a peek at the Velolife cafe that we stopped at three or so weeks ago
So nice quiet roads on some of this route
Route continued through White Waltham and onto the familiar Drift Road, through the Park with a diversion and home

Still getting used to the Different pedals and shoes, and cleat position on the left needs a tweak.

54.31 miles @ 15.3 mph, and 1677 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/548107918

We must have cycled on a hell of a lot of the same roads today and stopped at the same place.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Right, now I've posted yesterdays ride, here's todays effort: :okay:

Sunday is fun day, so out on the hybrid for another mainly off road loop to Aberford and back in the glorious sunshine.:sun:
Local Roads down to the bridge over Cock Beck and onto Wood Lane to Scholes. Which was an absolute mud bath, bringing me to a stop almost as soon as I'd crossed the bridge. Diverting round the worst of it, I got back on the lane about a hundred yards up the hill, but it was still almost as bad with streams of water running down the hill. I know we've had a bit of rain this week, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. :eek: Eventually the lack of grip forced me off the bike and I had to push it for a minute or two until firmer ground was found.
Anyhow, past the burnt out car at the end of the lane and onto Scholes Main Street (am I selling this as somewhere to watch the TdY next month? ;) ) and a burst of speed down the hill, shedding mud from the tyres as I went. Round the Coronation Tree and onto the bridleway, Bog Lane. The name seemed very appropriate today as the surface was not only wet and muddy, but had been churned up something terrible by a tractor.
I might be having fun plugging through the mud, but I wouldn't be setting any records today. Past a very forlorn looking dog walker and his rather muddy hound, and up the hill into the woods, for the descent down Barnbow Lane. Another rider was slogging up the hill on his MTB, so I paused to let him through the narrow bit near the top and set off, passing a very hacked off looking woman pushing her MTB up the hill about half way down (was she with the bloke I'd just passed - hopefully he was waiting at the top or he would be in bother! ;)). Progress was slowed as I approached a couple of horse riders from behind and given the narrowness of the route plus the mud, I let them clear the left turn I was going to take before setting off.
Left for a quick run parallel to Cock Beck and then over the golf course on the bridleway (I notice that the golfists have put up signs referring to the "footpath", but it's a bridleway and is shown as such on the definitive map) then past the farm shop and onto tarmac for the run out to Long Lane.
Straight over and onto Parlington Lane / NCN R66. Quick run down the hill, passing a family of 3 MTB'ers heading in the opposite direction, before I had to say a firm "excuse me" to a group of walkers who were spread out across the whole lane (and had steadfastly ignored a polite ring of the bell on approach). Around the closed gate and up the hill, dodging the puddles and craters.
A pleasant run down to the fishing lakes and back onto the traditionally muddier section of the route through Parlington Woods, which didn't disappoint.:whistle:
As I approached the haunted tunnel I realised that I'd only got my "be seen" flashing light on the bike. As I entered the tunnel I remembered i was also wearing sunglasses...:eek: Still, there was just about enough light from the ventilation shafts and the depth of water / mud in the tunnel ensured i wasn't stopping to take my shades off! I think there was about 6 inches of standing water at the far end.

Through all that and on for a straight forward run to Aberford, where I turned right and headed up the hill to the Almshouses for a drink and an energy bar in the sunshine.
IMG_20160417_101444609_2.jpg
IMG_20160417_102143662.jpg

Back on the bike and retraced my route back through the woods and the tunnel (shades still on :becool:) and out onto the more open section of the route.
Just before the downhill section, I encountered the group of walkers from earlier now heading back the way they'd come and who were (you've guessed) spread out all across the way and had to be asked to "excuse me" again.
Down the hill :hyper:, round the gate and back up to Long lane, where I decided to head on road to Garforth and then take the bridleway back from there.
Onto Nanny Goat Lane where a couple more horseriders were approaching, so I stooped to give them room, which brought about a cheery thanks and a bit of a chat, then up the hill past the stables and onto the bridleway (more mud!).
Down under the M1, then the quick run to Manston Lane passing yet another horse rider who wanted to race me (fortunately the horse was above such things! :laugh:). Onto the tarmac up to Barnbow against the wind, then Pendas Fields and down to Barwick Road, then on to home, with a final lap around the block to push the mileage on.

14.1 miles (22.7 km) in 1 hr 25 mins at an average of 9.9 mph and with just 663 ft climbed. Good fun, if a bit messy (everything I was wearing is in the washer) but what a good way to spend a Sunday morning.:okay:

17042016.jpg

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Prodded by reading @CharlieB's report to get out I did the longest flattish ride you can do from here - via Hyde Heath, the Lee, St Leonards and Cholesbury to Wigginton. Where the churchyard has a rather lovely patch of fritillaries.
0Uw7z_mruvpl5FdI2uyF_zgpMXrhoUF1-QzEvJHVLATdLeAOKhIm_EndgSxye3RfaGcKZtzO_QzN5-nLuVLPIbOclgnTzCvgL-mrL9rdFlqG30lOVME8Jy6ygGPFxPzKSEwogglOJZCl7P7UTHRCbWcfxDy0yseWcuDYwZJy8Fcx7ghd8gKt09krT77Z_9BK6-AdK5hSWe3P2lqBmvTf8tnDNegaCkEgez2CjFlGeAkJ8mjG1M9JzXf1Tgli0UjUB4VvMLJvgh5_qF1su_fr6-uwI4NsVK6YydCenKPeL8WdF2zYD7d2GTdG1htFCjmQbM3YABFZF3Yyzj4_FCU-i2aXK2ke998ixuU33WL8_jp2bHxGm6zo9ZnnaiP_x6vry5typVXdMfpmF8NOOF269dsyslSV9nhH6-CLYQ3xII8tPwFv9jhqjYdQzQzzkavpbywU4cbI0hizBbK90GcjwuIbmtsdEgm8Z97v2Fu4gGAetSaBU0Fn2L7dpK5rgdpP7F4Bpgk7sUE0MeDzx-Z3eGpnBByjq0U2XhgIxgFzaQVoC_52XWKmtA_rkobT4krvd9Kt=w1241-h698-no

Then I retraced my steps. There's a patch of something I don't recognise and don't think I've seen before in the verges on the way. A lovely little white bell-like flower which gives a subtle white glow alongside the bluebells just emerging.
5zMSexvqyzcyOVzHzn-UZv2jLazKqQP6C28VplWVBl-j44Q_WTP4tbho66dDcPB7dlQU7Y-KFwSRNgB6Y5_MVlga07VSLxabBvTVre8E9GmvMmHdZpQm0mce0CIur4zy3NVMxDaluQNs1nD9z6ZnmTpn85rJsEzkzUJodhJAHQXPZOmQF--mFQca1AkNOCJuF052JLFbM5gF8ivJAX6BsBzeff6ZFYRZmFgpg1Nci3y4wxw05M9XC5vnpKktsjafaBaj-G_Eaa0zHV4lto9UDvPoP0h2CxGloJQ_fHEOdpN3QzdgGmgkSty_ZQaPSHcia0DqKCOpaQ_cZ4TDEOBPATjMtYHHIhfWie1xHahR9ZwNpsESxnpcOBDCZG9DADAMdm9kIZjpAtGvLJ5nj4DTpUn1TCXPYAdh8vDejNaqpf5gMHPQGTwpK6ggbkO5guzx1t46VuNt-m4bpaZyHe9HwkEygTP5sTAE9nge9LxMMCrQQZM4h9i3SGP1ruMDajwWLzT4knd0RMPSUlXWM9yJX9f_fFsuRIzrTjmQsPIunMBi_sJMsO0FNQPKqhMknYFR5B6U=w1241-h698-no

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a short one in the sunshine today with my brother. I'd hoped to get him to do something around 30 miles but he was feeling a little under the weather so we aimed for 20 instead.

The planned route was to be on familiar ground to Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Uffington and into The Quarry in the centre of Shrewsbury before heading home.

We started off by climbing over Lyth Hill, which was very busy with people parking up to walk, then dropping down the other side. Doug seemed a little distracted today so sailed straight past the junction where I'd planned to turn off. This wasn't a problem though as we continued up the climb to Cantlop instead and turned left dropping down to Cantlop Bridge (recently named as one of the top ten places to play Pooh Sticks by a national newspaper :laugh:) followed by the next right through Berrington and Cross Houses.

At Atcham we took the scenic route through Attingham Park (packed with visitors today) and onwards to Upton Magna, catching up with another couple of cyclists on the way. Lots of people obviously had the same idea today as there were plenty of other riders about which is always good to see.:okay:

Having taken the old canal path from Uffington we headed along the riverside into The Quarry which, like elsewhere was packed with visitors. A dog show in the park helped with this and was where we caught up with my parents and sister who had taken Rubens (the spaniel) to see how he got on (no rosettes for him this time :sad:)

We didn't stay long as Doug didn't want his leg muscles to stiffen up so it was back on the road heading for home.

A pleasant 22 miles at around 11.5 mph average.

DSC0003343.jpg

Doug at Attingham Park

Last edited:
Like a lot of CCers it is often a juggling act to fit in a 3 hour + ride at the weekend as Mrs Littgull has things planned for both of us at some point in the day and that doesn't include cycling. Family commitments mean a long day ride is only possible every few weeks and with visits to and from my youngest son, daughter in law and 2 year old grandson there often seems not enough days in the week to do everything desired. But today I managed to slot in a wonderful 48 mile ride. I had planned to have a bit of a lie in and set off about 10 am but our elderly dog woke up much earlier than normal due to the call of nature so I was actually up and outside at 7 am. It was very cold and frosty. a thick white frost though even at that early time the sun had risen and I could see the hard frost beginning to thaw. I was up and out on the road by 8 am after a fortifying bowl of hot porridge and a couple of rounds of peanut butter on toast all washed down with a mug of tea.

I had enjoyed planning my route last night and this was it - (Home) Littleborough, Rochdale, Bury, Walshaw, Affetside, Turton, Edgworth, (then a 21 mile elevated loop around the West Pennine Moors along a very quiet scenic route via Crowthorne, Belthorne, Darwen, Blacksnape, Edgworth (again), Hawkshaw, Ramsbottom, Edenfield, over the Scout Moor road to Norden, Rochdale and finally home in Littleborough. Stats were 47.8 miles, ride time 3 hours 31 mins, total ascent 3,624 ft.
An immensely enjoyable ride. The 10 mile Littleborough to Bury route is normally very traffic choked on a weekday (as I ride it twice a week to work) but at a weekend and early am a different proposition and actually quite scenically pleasant once through Rochdale on to the Rochdale/Bury Old Road. There were very few car drivers about at that early time. In fact there were more cyclists than drivers.
I will have a chat with my friend @ColinJ when we next meet as I think the moorland loop I did this morning has good potential to include within a future forum ride.
Now, I will attempt to load some pictures of my ride. The snow was still very much in evidence on the high moors. Don't hold your breath though as the last time I tried this I failed miserably to upload them.

Attachments

• Affetside.jpg
    Affetside.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 50
  • April Snow on Those Hills.jpg
    April Snow on Those Hills.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Road to Belthorn.jpg
    Road to Belthorn.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 44
  • near Edgworth.jpg
    near Edgworth.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 66

Hyslop

Veteran
Interesting one today.After a bit of a false start,returning(after about 400 yards!)to replace my 3/4s with leg warmers,I set off into what increasingly felt like a gale,such that at one point I was making all of 12mph.Never mind I thought,could be raining,lets go and play.Well half way round,on the Solway,I stopped for a breatherand popped into the little bothy at Boustead Hill.There on the bench was an iPhone.Assuming this had been left by someone walking the wall,I looked left and right for a likely owner.Not a soul in sight.......what to do now?I found a phone number in it and rang.....no the lady didn't its owner but two of her clients(tour operator)were walking to Bowness that day and she gave me the name of the guesthouse.Oh well,4 miles against the wind then!At this point,a Police dog van hove to beside me and after a short conversation(Cumbria Police no longer accept Lost Property,and I knew this-the onus is on the finder to locate the owner)that kind Bobby offered to take the phone to the guesthouse in the hope that he would find the owner there.Well done that man,I say proof positive that there are good people all around us-and.......he saved me 4 more miles against the wind!! Good man indeed.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I have something of a cautionary tale from today's ride. All year I've been wanting to go over 1000 feet as it's been longer than I care to remember since I'd done so. I picked out a road on the ridge to the west of Herefordshire's Golden Valley, close to what Ordnance Survey calls Urishay Common. The best way up was fairly obvious, but when I tried to put what looked like the natural descent to the north into both BikeHike and RideWithGPS, they persistently tried to send me a different way. Predictably perhaps, on the steepest part of the descent the road was in an advanced stage of disintegration and I had to walk - not quite the reward you're looking for after a big climb. So next time it looks as though the online route planners might be trying to tell me something, I will listen. The ride is here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/548440338

After a cold start the weather today was perfect. All day the views were spectacular. On the wildlife front, two close passes from sparrowhawks were the highlights.

I was keen to do a century to take me to 249, and I can now enjoy planning number 250. It still seems a bit unreal; just a few months ago I was certain these days were past and I fully expected to take the number 236 to the grave.

Like many on this forum I've been suffering for a long time with foot pain - right foot in my case. Because the pain doesn't hang around long after stopping I'd tended to forget about it between rides. Having read around I tried moving the (Look) cleats back about a centimetre, and although I think I have to accept that there is some long term damage, the change certainly seemed to make the condition more manageable. There was much more freedom to flex the toes whilst pedalling, whereas before there wasn't much I could do to help between stops.

All in all a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable day.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
25890902893_571b471558_z.jpg Native Violet also_edited-1 by Mid-Life Cyclist, on Flickr
Usual 7 miles ride today, just some more testing of the Trek 600, and taking pictures of the Native Violet, State Flower of Illinois. Beautiful day, although about 10 degrees above normal this time of year, if I reckon properly and memory serves.
82F
Winds SW12G17
Relative humidity 25%(!!!!!)
Barometer 30.30
Clear
But weather will worsen as "The Omega Effect" moves east. It's already cloudier than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow. I don't think we'll see rain until Wednesday.

Rode the GHS Memorial Ride from Dewsbury-Pocklington; 100 miles in under 8 hours to get a certificate.

Well, I was supposed to be riding it with my club but tagged onto a couple of local fast clubs with a few others. The result is that I saw them at the mid-point (they arrived as I was leaving after lunch) and they're still out there ... somewhere.
Good speeds there. I could do that for a 50 but not 100

Top Bottom