Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nice day out there. I decided to do the Trumpet loop as it had been a while. So off I went and things went well. My head was somewhere else tho' so I just kept pedalling away. I must have been on automatic pilot as I found my way unerringly. So unerringly that I missed the detour to avoid the closed bridge at Tillers Green. That was partly as I had been told it would be open by April. I should have known that would be optimistic. So I rounded by Dymock and Ryton remembering to check out the wild daffodil field. It was in full flow as were several other places. There was a Buzzard attempting to put some distance between me and it as I rode through the Castlemorton lanes. Lovely close view. Lovely 52 mile ride today. Hope I can catch up with my head soon.

Old jon

Guru
^^^ Pretty good day out there indeed. Full of enthusiasm, I set off for Askwith, via Otley. As I rode towards Water Lane I was still working out route details, not that there are too many alternatives. Viaduct Road and all the straightforward route to Lawnswood School, across the Ring Road and turn left onto Otley Old Road. This route is probably the longest climb I do. about eight miles from the end of Viaduct Road to the top of the Chevin above Otley. Very roughly 1200 feet of climbing, which feels a lot to these legs I use. Worth it for the insane descent into Otley itself . . .

Cross the river, climb Billams Hill and turn left for Weston. As I gasped and panted up that steep little hill on the approach to Weston, a bloke overtook me, reached the top and slowed down to wait for his missus, who, said he, ' did not like that hill. ' Nor do I mate, nor do I. He also told me that they had seen me riding through Headingley this morning, got the bikes and themselves into their van and driven out to about a mile or so short of where we were talking . . .

Off they went, I followed slowly and reached Askwith.

Where I refuelled the tired body and decided to do the average return journey via Otley and the A 660, turn right on North Lane to find the canal at Kirkstall and total 33.7 miles for the day by the time I reached home.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A nice day for a bike ride and a different route for me today, via, Chilton, West Isley, Farnborough where I tried to capture a photo of red kites on road kill but they were not having it, on to Wantage, where I stopped for a corned beef sandwich and a cuppa and then on to Grove, Steventon, Rowstock and home. No car drivers pee'd me of today though it was bit hairy riding along the short stretch of A34, the weather was cool and mainly sunny.

1-GOPR0936.JPG

Using the GoPro camera today mounted on the bars.

2-GOPR0937.JPG

Its a bit scary along the A34 only did about half a mile but jeez no one gives a shoot in the lorries.

3-GOPR0941.JPG

Nice flint church in West Isley

4-GOPR0945.JPG

I stood here for about 10 minutes waiting for a Red Kit to land, but it didn't but it was so peaceful, no noise at all.

5-GOPR0949.JPG

Circling waiting for me to sod off so it can have it's prey.

6-GOPR0954.JPG

I got scalped by this geezer at the top of the hill in Farnborough, actually he made me jump it was quiet up there I was just pootling along enjoying the peace.

map.jpg

25.25 miles, a really nice three hours out and about.

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Decided to try for a ride today, despite knowing there might be mud. The new bike has got muddy so a bit more wouldn't matter - little did I know!

This is probably one of the nicer wrought iron bridges on the stretch I ride down. However, on the way back I ride over it, and the hump is a lot higher than it looks.

1.jpg

They've been trimming trees along the railway line and here. It looks as if that telecoms line, it's a cable with an integral support wire, could do with some attention tho' as it seems to be supporting part of the tree on the right and is under considerable tension.

2.JPG

I had a chat with a guy who was quite surprised to see I was riding a Claud Butler, he hadn't realised they were still made. He'd done a lot of road cycling in the 1960s with a London cycling club (Metropolitan?)

I spotted the swan on nest, I'm not sure if that office chair is a part of the nest. Sorry about the fringing, the camera isn't great when used on the longer lens setting but I really can't complain for 99p.

3.JPG

There are now some peaceful parts - the children having gone back to school.

4.JPG

Just beyond Dudswell they were repairing a lock gate, the planks to the left of the temporary bridge have been dropped into slots in the lock side to provide a dry(ish) environment for the work. The vertical post is presumably to give extra support.

5.JPG

I intended to have a try at reaching Bulbourne but the mud in Tring cutting was so thick and I was rather tired so I did a bit of exploring and found a restricted byway running parallel to the canal and railway. The railway is just visible and the canal just beyond it.

6.JPG

A view back along the byway. The rape is coming into flower.

7.JPG

18.2 miles max 17 avg 6.6 mph. Year to date, 110.8 miles, Target 400 miles. Warm and almost summer like in the sheltered spots, chill wind in more exposed areas.

upload_2016-4-19_17-47-44.png

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Commuting miles for me the last couple of days. I've been using the Raleigh, partly because it's nice and dry out at the moment and partly because I'm still trying to find the right setup for the new saddle and the commute does seem to show up any shortcomings with it.

Yesterday's ride was a good fast one on the way in with the brisk tailwind and I thought all was well, but as usually happens the return trip against wind and gradient found me struggling to get comfortable so I knew more tweaks were wanted. An adjustment and test ride later I felt happier with it so the bike went away for the evening.

This morning it became clear that what felt okay on a short test was better but still didn't quite work on a longer ride. It wasn't all bad as the bike felt quite lively even loaded up and I had a nice quick ride in.

It was very slow at work today which gave an opportunity to have a think and a further play around with the settings. It's just one trip but I think I may be on the right track as suddenly the saddle gives the feeling that it's cradling my behind rather than feeling like I'm perched on top of it. The ride back was quite pleasant as a result and fairly quick too with an average for the round trip of 14.9mph. I think this might be the quickest commute I've done and could have been quicker still if I hadn't taken the scenic route over Lyth Hill in the morning.:hyper:

No pics as I was too busy :bicycle:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
After Sundays thigh buster around Longleat it was back to normality today as I chose one of my flattest routes to south of the New Forest to give the old legs a bit of a rest & take in some roads that weren't breaking up or covered in mud.

There were a few other cyclists out including one young lady who put me to shame by riding in a vest top whilst I was in a winter base layer & a long sleeve jersey as whilst it was dry I didn't think it was that warm!

Anyway, it was a very pleasant 34 mile trip through the forest & around the farmland of St Leonards & Norleywood with the normal selection of wildlife on & around the roads, just to keep you on your toes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/550178170

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Well last night ride had me going round in circles it was a taster session at Derby Velodrome
IMG_20160418_163649.jpg

Setting off first time on a fixed wheel :eek:
Really enjoyed it bit hairy when you first get on the banking but managed two laps on the fence at top and then dropped down sprinter style picking up speed last 15 mins after a fairly structured safety session was free time with overtaking 12 of us on track and it was fun ^_^ still smiling when I think about it .Had one moment when the front wheel skidded on the banking :eek: made me twitch a bit !! Already booked session 2 in May where you do a bit of chain ganging .
Survived riding a fixie which was interesting
I got some good vids but me during dumb can't seem to upload will try again later

Attachments

• IMG_20160418_163649.jpg
    IMG_20160418_163649.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just got back in from another ride. Just popped out to Sainsbury's for some milk and guess what? Carr's Water Biscuits are back in stock! Yay!

5.75 miles in the early evening sunshine.

13 rider

Guru
Back from work and a glorious evening time for a quick spin . Just as I'm setting off a fellow roadie past me as I was setting strava so for the next 2 miles through Newtown Linford I was slowly closing him down As we approached Sharply hill Loughborough Students cycle club decsended look a bunch of mad students ! .As I hit the bottom of the climb I was 19 yards behind the roadie Id been chasing and there was 2 other riders a quarter of the way up The rider I had been follow accelerate up the climb and I just hung on he crested the hill first quickly followed by the other 2 riders then me ,last again but a strava PR so up the slow drag the rider in front dragged us all up we me sheltering at the back :rolleyes:. At Old John the other 3 went left and carried straight on . Down Warren hill and into Swithland on to the reservoir and into Cropston and Rothley . Where I was pasted by the Loughborough Students again they seemed to have done the reserve loop to me . Back home 10.7 miles lovely rider in glorious conditions loads of people had the same idea

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just for the novelty factor, today's ride posted today!

Once again, after a stupid o'clock finish, I was in bed by 02:15 with the alarm set for 07:15 <yawn> ready for a mate to call in at 08:00 for a coffee and a pedal around for a few miles. He'd already done 20 or so by the time he arrived, and as I had all my kit sorted the day before, we were on or way within 10 minutes.
As he had to be back home by 10:00 ish, I made a change to the route I'd planned in my head and instead aimed around the top of the town and through Moulton Village exactly in time for all the traffic and buses dropping the school and college kids off for their edjucashion. Bloomin' place was chaos! Never mind, with a few judicious diversions via the alleyways, we were through there a lot quicker than the motorized transport!

IMG_20160419_123618.jpg

With another shortcut via the ford in Spectacle Lane, we rode towards, and through, Pitsford village and across the dam wall at the reservoir.
We were hoping to have time for a circuit but, as my mate had to be home by 10:00, we cut that bit of the loupe out and headed down Merry Tom Lane and back to his place.

IMG_20160419_123738.jpg

As you would expect from Brazilian hospitality, a coffee small and strong enough to knock spots off the socks :eek:
Just what was needed to keep me awake!

Untitled.png

After a loupe around the south of the town, I was back home with just enough time to not have a snooze before No 1 grandson turned up to be baby-sat for the afternoon. :sad: Not that I mind, but really needed that 40 winks...

Still, 26 miles ridden, in lovely Spring sunshine, plus a 4 mile walk afterwards, pushing the grandson in his buggy, to feed the ducks to give him some fresh air.

https://www.strava.com/activities/550048305

:smile:

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Through Thorner and take the left branch at the bottom of Church Hill ( Milner Lane ? ) which takes you ( me ) towards East Rigton. There is a slightly too long sharp hill after the last of the houses, at the top of which is another Thorner Lane. Glad I am not a postman. In East Rigton turn right onto Rigton Green which eventually drops into Collingham. I do like this road, just wish there was a bit more of it.

Hi @Old jon - I know that hill down to Collingham well. It used to be a fairly regular route but I stopped riding it early in the winter due to the never ending amount of mud and pig poo washed down it (inconsiderate farmer!) and I haven't been out that way since the bridge at Linton was damaged in the Boxing Day floods and closed. I might have to have a pedal out that way when I get chance.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Off on a Channel-hopping hol at the moment, so called in at Castle Donger, our country residence, on the way. (Actually Leeds Castle in Kent). Got up and out before 07:00 this morning and snuck a quick look at the moat (Though cycling in the grounds is frowned upon,there was nobody else around).
58 Leeds Castle.JPG

Did a nice little 16 miler before breakfast, looping around anti-clockwise from Leeds Castle through the North Downs. Not sure what I expected to see, but Kentish oast houses were on my wish list. Didn't have to wait long:
59 Oast House.JPG

Passed quite a few spectacular bluebell woods on the way:
60 Bluebell woods.JPG

And some nice little villages, like this one (Lenham):
61 Lenham.JPG

Unfortunately, cossing the godawful A20 just after Lenham somewhat spoiled my ride. Car after car, spaced out evenly and doing about 50mph made it an almost impossible task to cross the road by bike. I ended up getting off, pushing it about 20 yards to my right (across the road I was on), sprinting across to a traffic island after about 5 minutes wait, then sprinting across the other half of the A20 and pushing the bike across the road I wanted to be on. All in all had to push across 3 roads to get across one. Nightmare traffic. Soon improved, though, as I got into the North Downs proper and the hedgerows got higher and the grass started to grow in the middle of the roads. Though lovely, some of these lanes are still quite a commuter rat run at 7ish in the morning.
62.JPG

Some lovely rolling North Downs countryside, and the rat run traffic started to die down by 8:00.
63 North Downs countryside.JPG
Came back via another nice village, Hollingbourne, before making a big mistake. As I was turning left into a little lane a couple of miles from "home", I paused to let a local bus go by. He gave me a cheery wave and a hoot of the horn by way of thanks .... then almost immediately got stuck in a nose-to-tail traffic jam in both directions that brought all movement to a halt for about 10 minutes while people reversed out of the bus's way. Must have been 30 vehicles held up in each direction down a tiny little lane. Does this happen every day around here?
64 Hollingbourne.JPG
No sooner had I got out of that mess, than I had to cross (and join) the A20 again to get back to Leeds Castle. Fortunately this was easy enough as the A road was ground to a halt too. Half cycled, half scooted my way along the inside of the traffic for about a quarter of a mile, overtaking at least 100 cars in the process.
65 Leeds Castle.JPG
Got back to the castle in time for a quick shower and a hearty breakfast. Have to say I liked the countryside around this part of Kent (to the east of Maidstone), but I thank my lucky stars I do most of my cycling in Gloucestershire. The early morning traffic around here must be morale-sapping for any local cyclists .... Couldn't hack it on a regular basis. Off to the other side of the Channel for a couple of days now ... and I know the roads will be quieter there. Can't wait.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
So far this month my only non commuting miles have been getting around the spectator areas at Silverstone at the weekend and an extended shopping trip yesterday and I'm back to work tomorrow for 10 consecutive days meaning that today was the last chance for a decent ride out this month.

Thankfully the day turned out to be bright, dry and almost warm (if you could ignore the northerly breeze) so I headed out with a vague idea of a route to the west of Ipswich which lasted all of a mile when I turned right instead of going straight on and ended up to the east of Ipswich going to Woodbridge, Hollesley, Tunstall, Wickham Market, then back across to Otley, Coddenham, Ipswich and home for a total of 63 miles/100K. There were no end of cyclists out and about considering that it's a working day for most people, but given the good conditions at last, why not.

At some point on the home leg I picked up a very slow puncture (so slow that I made it without needing to add air or change the tube) which was only noticeable for the last 10 miles or so where the ride was very soft and hard work . I've pulled out a very small thorn which may have just scraped the tube, but that will be dealt with when I have time as I can use a different bike for work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/550482560

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Commuting miles in the morning on the 50's Roadster which was very pleasurable indeed , then car back to work in the afternoon with the Lee Cooper inside ready to go and meet up with a mate for an after work 20 miler .

He was using his newly acquired restored 70's Galaxy seeing as the sun was out a quick pop across the A6 and headed out towards the Deans and back with just over 21 miles covered must have seen close on 30+ other bikes out so very busy but all going in other direction , a really nice leisure ride with good company

Top Bottom