Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Due to suffering from the lurgy for what feels like most of the month (last week!) I've struggled to get my imperial century for the month done. Looking at the weather forecast today was looking like the only decent day to get it done, so being inspired by some of @MickeyBlueEyes commutes I decided to take the morning off work and ride 100 miles to work.

I needed to be at my desk by 13:15 so decided if I was to get something to eat and get cleaned up after the ride I would need to set off at 05:30, 06:00 at the latest.

Got up at 04:45 and after getting to bed late due to a scout group meeting last night I was tired before I set off. Cup of tea, couple slices of toast and a bowl of cornflakes later and I was out of the door just after 05:30.

Needed lights for the first hour or so, but once the sun was up it was blue sky all the way. Only problem with clear skies this time of the year is that it is normally frosty, especially once you get out into the sticks. So it was a tad chilly and some of the grass verges very frosty and a saw a fair few drivers de-icing their cars.

At 70 miles I stopped and re-stocked the drinks and ate a Wispa - pure chocolate my favourite long distance snack. Decided at this point to take off the full finger gloves and put on the fingerless ones. Two minutes later I stopped and put the full finger gloves back on, was still cold at 10:00.

By mile 85 I was struggling and stopped for five minutes, even though I've got rid of the lurgy I still have a nasty cough and I think it caught up with me. Anyway another Wispa and a can of coke and I was on my way again.

Ending up going straight by the abode of @13 rider and gave a wave :hello:

At 99 miles I knew I was making good time, so detoured off the route (was planning on 101 miles) to a Tesco local store to grab some grub to eat once I got to work, buggers had chocolate on offer, so just had to buy some more - now in the fridge.

As I got to work I was a couple of tenths short of 105 miles, so I went around the block and finished on 105.33 miles at an average of 15.77mph

When I got into work the banking hadn't been done, so I jumped back on the bike and did another 9 miles for the banking, coupled with a short ride home tonight finished the day on just over 126 miles, a 200km commuting day, a bit knackered now :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/551216743

Bloody hell !! I was feeling a bit chuffed with my first extended commute home of the year but after reading that it's a bit of an anti climax ! Shorts short sleeves and fingerless gloves and wall to wall sunshineeeeeee

My favourite commute home without a doubt.
20.6 miles with 566 ft of climbing in 1 hour 8 mins with an avg speed of 18.2 mph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/551392889

13 rider

Guru
Due to suffering from the lurgy for what feels like most of the month (last week!) I've struggled to get my imperial century for the month done. Looking at the weather forecast today was looking like the only decent day to get it done, so being inspired by some of @MickeyBlueEyes commutes I decided to take the morning off work and ride 100 miles to work.

I needed to be at my desk by 13:15 so decided if I was to get something to eat and get cleaned up after the ride I would need to set off at 05:30, 06:00 at the latest.

Got up at 04:45 and after getting to bed late due to a scout group meeting last night I was tired before I set off. Cup of tea, couple slices of toast and a bowl of cornflakes later and I was out of the door just after 05:30.

Needed lights for the first hour or so, but once the sun was up it was blue sky all the way. Only problem with clear skies this time of the year is that it is normally frosty, especially once you get out into the sticks. So it was a tad chilly and some of the grass verges very frosty and a saw a fair few drivers de-icing their cars.

At 70 miles I stopped and re-stocked the drinks and ate a Wispa - pure chocolate my favourite long distance snack. Decided at this point to take off the full finger gloves and put on the fingerless ones. Two minutes later I stopped and put the full finger gloves back on, was still cold at 10:00.

By mile 85 I was struggling and stopped for five minutes, even though I've got rid of the lurgy I still have a nasty cough and I think it caught up with me. Anyway another Wispa and a can of coke and I was on my way again.

At 99 miles I knew I was making good time, so detoured off the route (was planning on 101 miles) to a Tesco local store to grab some grub to eat once I got to work, buggers had chocolate on offer, so just had to buy some more - now in the fridge.

As I got to work I was a couple of tenths short of 105 miles, so I went around the block and finished on 105.33 miles at an average of 15.77mph

When I got into work the banking hadn't been done, so I jumped back on the bike and did another 9 miles for the banking, coupled with a short ride home tonight finished the day on just over 126 miles, a 200km commuting day, a bit knackered now :becool:

That's some commute makes my 12.7 miles a bit puny . My car was at home but I was at work so thanks for waving but didn't see you .

postman

Legendary Member
Otley April 2016 016.JPG
Otley April 2016 017.JPG
Otley April 2016 019.JPG
Otley April 2016 022.JPG
Otley April 2016 023.JPG
Otley April 2016 024.JPG
Today was the day i celebrated Vernon's love of all things pie.It did not turn out as expected.The bike was prepared last week for a ride that never took place.So i wheeled it out of the garage half an hour before i was due to set off.
Right thought i,you have put weight on since you last rode this,so an extra few pounds of pressure are needed.Not a good idea,the valve went west,so off came the whhel,off came the tyre,out came the tube.Replaced with a spare,but this had a patch repair.Pump pump pump,Pssssst the valve was faulty,so that followed the first one into the bin.Right a second repaired tube,with the patch looking a bit loose,in it went,on with the wheel,and hey presto off i went.
Joined my mate and off we went,not been going more than three miles and on a sort of farm track in the back of beyond in Eccup he hit a pot hole down he went with a bang.So now he asks can we go to Otley only.Sure there are two pie shops used by Vernon.A visit to Chevin Cycles for two tubes,then on to Weegmans,and a pie was purchased.Hot pie this one and very nice it was.a second pie cold was bought at Middlemiss and that was ok also.A latte followed and a slow ride home was the next thing,my mate feeling rather sore.I enjoyed the 27 miles,i had plenty of energy through the ride,so much better than last summer.
Next pie Andrews in Wetherby very soon.

Last edited:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Currently on a work trip to the middle of the Black Forest. Customer made the suggestion of a little bike ride after work - I was quick to accept! Sadly no strava, but nevertheless a very lovely ride up and down hills and along forestry tracks. I'm still not completely sold on the whole mountain bike thing, but this was good fun. A wee photo of the village of Sankt Märgen, where we had dinner:
IMG_0570[1].JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Far too nice out to go to the gym for a spot of metcon (it's Matt tonight :eek:)

So I went for a quick loop around the Gransdens. It was bang on 20 miles and done at an average of 17.5 mph, and I was still cold. The sun was out but it was surprisingly chilly, shorts and a short sleeved jersey were ambitious!
No photos as I wasn't keen to stop. I had the little treat of a stiff headwind for the 10 miles home.

I came back with a big smile!

https://www.strava.com/activities/551570693

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time to visit my ageing mother again. Car travel up the M5/M6 is just horrid (I've done two round trips in the very recent past) so I loaded my bike and myself onto the train. I was delivered at Carlisle as advertised and set off with one eye on the Sat Nav and the other on the traffic attempting to merge my position onto the purple line that I'd used when I last visited the Hospital here. I made it and began to recognise the route from before. Indeed I was sufficiently confident that I followed a sign which lead me onto a main road. No purple line here. I retraced to recognise my mistake and continue along the purple line. Things were becoming more and more familiar as I got closer to Cockermouth. At Blennerhasset tho' there was a bit of a shock. The bridge was closed. For once tho' there was provision for pedestrians. So I became a pedestrian and wheeled my bike over.

The hills were a struggle with my well loaded bike. I've packed for a few days' stay and it was tough hauling that load on any up slopes. There was a persistent head wind too so I was glad to crest the long drag to Tallantire as I knew nearly all my work would soon be done. Hunger was advancing so after unpacking I rode off again on some errands for comestibles. Nice day for it for sure but I wished I hadn't packed so much stuff.

Renmurew

Veteran
Today I climbed Cairn O Mount from the south side for the first time.

B010449B-4D5D-4641-A1F5-823DE443873A_zpsktunwdk8.jpg

4067D51D-AFD1-453D-BFC5-C1A3797E6AED_zpsojcwcwde.jpg

02000A4B-C018-4F2B-9276-BE7CB0E8B466_zpssczwfles.jpg

Katherine

Guru
A perfect cycling day yesterday. Loved every minute of the 35 miles.
I was later leaving than intended because I was trying to get the ride with gps app to work which I did. Luckily I didn't have to be home for any particular time as Mr K was working on a late shift.
I did the club route to Dunham Massey that I couldn't get to work on my phone last time. I stopped in the picnic area in the park.

IMG_20160420_163637569.jpg

IMG_20160420_163611422.jpg

Coming back through Partington in the rush hour was a mistake but all fine. Most drivers saw me filtering on the left and moved over for me, which I acknowledged with a friendly wave to them all. Got a hoot in return from the fire engine. After Trafford I decided to go the rest of the way home on the Bridgewater Canal path. I'd heard that the path had finally been tarmaced between Worsley and Astley. Unfortunately it wasn't finished, only a bit of tarmac either side of the marina in Boothstown, so then I went back on the road.

IMG_20160420_183607119_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160420_183907270_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160420_182815178.jpg

IMG_20160420_185256463_HDR.jpg

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.

Good effort this mate. Love having a big mileage day before getting to work!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A few pics from yesterday's ride in the sunshIne. Luckily I'd Chosen a fine day to have off work.

image.jpeg

Nearly ended up in the ditch taking that one. Thought it would look great instead of crap!

Rode up to Kingfisher Bridge nature reserve near Ely.
image.jpeg

It's a great spot and rarely visited, so always quiet. We get the occasional passing osprey in spring and autumn, but none yesterday. They're probably past here by now anyway. Lots of sand martins and a fine pair of marsh harriers though.

image.jpeg

Nice views from the 'hill'. Ely cathedral just visible on the horizon. I'd just cycled through Upware and noticed a farm there called 'Hill Farm'. Who said us flatlanders have no sense of humour?!

On home through Wicken which included the obligatory cake stop at the VC there. Then another visit to the new hide.

image.jpeg

Some new information boards have gone up and very nice they are too. I love a hide you can wheel your bike into. The mark of a civilised place. Top marks National Trust. Even if their cake is a bit pricey.

image.jpeg

Finally the cycle track through Burwell Fen. Lovely.
23 miles in total over about 5 hours. I've always felt that speed is rather over rated anyway!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wasn't planning a ride today as I had been out four times this week. I was meeting some friends for lunch in Camberley and I decided I would put the Dawes Kingpin shopper on the roof rack drive to the big shopping centre on the outskirts then cycle in, thereby saving myself a few quid in parking fees. I last minute change of plan I decided to park a little further out in Owlsmore near Sandhurst thus saving myself the stress of potential time limit free parking, so I parked down Evenlode Way which coincidentally is the road where I bought my first house in 1982.

A quick visit to the old abode, which was a lot smaller than I remember, and a cycle into Camberley town centre to meet my chums at Bills Restaurant for a couple of hours then more or less took the same route back stopping at the Rackstraw Inn (its changed a lot in 1982) then back to Evenlode Way. I had another look at the house and noticed a closed to traffic lane that I had forgotten about, which at the time I knew was there but had not investigated back then, a short ride down I discovered a lovely park; when I lived there I had no idea it existed.

Anyway about 5.96 down memory lane on the silly old bike that is fun to ride but I wouldn't want to go very far on it.

1-IMG_3172.JPG

My first house, the one in the middle no sat dishes when I lived there, the windows have been replaced and that bush wasn't there either.

2-IMG_3174.JPG

Down Park Street

3-IMG_3175.JPG

Outside the Rackstraw, It used be a nice local pub with a huge garden out the back, now its a Travel Lodge.

4-IMG_3179.JPG

The woods round the back of the house.

map.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What a difference a day makes. Deserted roads today on the other side of the pond. Compare and contrast to the Maidstone area of Kent the other day. Got up and out before 07:00 (local time) again today and asked Mrs Donger to "get me a croissant, I'll be back for breakfast". Reminded myself of the old Michael Caine quote, "Remember, in this country they drive on the wrong side of the road" and set off from our sea front hotel in Wimereux along deserted streets and out onto the deserted D940 Boulogne to Calais coast road towards Cap Blanc Nez. (Did Cap Gris Nez last year, and was disappointed to miss out on the brilliant S bends near Escalles due to shortage of time, so was determined to put that right). Wouldn't have mattered which side of the road I was riding on, as they were all empty anyway.
66 Wimereux.JPG

Headed off generally northwards, but sometimes to the East .... straight into a stiff breeze all the way. Through dunes and out on the exposed coast road, which was quite up and down. Quite tough conditions, but loved it. Unfortunately most of the things I wanted to photo were straight into the rising sun, or else obscured by a low haze. You couldn't see the White Cliffs of Dover today, which was a shame.
68.JPG

I would recommend this coast road to anybody. Not a pothole in sight, no drain covers at all ... just a well cambered surface and a drainage ditch at the side. All meant you could do whatever speed you wanted down all the hills without a care in the world. Quite often you could see the road over a mile ahead, and not a vehicle to be seen. For the 15 mile outward leg, as well as half the way back, vehicles came along in one direction or the other at least 5 minutes apart! Had the road to myself.
69.JPG

Nice sea views to be had, most of the way:
70.JPG
Thoroughly enjoyed the scenic S bends above Escalles to Cap Blanc Nez, where I stopped for a moment, then turned around and headed back "home" via the same route. I had thought about returning via an inland route, but it was a shame to miss the descent into Escalles and the views along the coast in the opposite direction.
Cap Blanc Nez:
71 Cap Blanc Nez.JPG

My favourite bit, dropping back down the beautiful S bends into Escalles:
72 Above Escalles.JPG

On the way back past Audinghen, I called in at the Blockhaus Todt, part of Hitler's Atlantic Wall. Interesting to see the massive German railway gun "Leopold" alongside:
73 Blockhaus Todt, Audinghen.JPG

Got back to the hotel in Wimereux 3 hours after setting off. 30.5 leisurely miles in all, with plenty of stops for sightseeing. Reckon you could easily do a day trip by ferry to Calais and comfortably have time to ride to Boulogne and back with plenty of stops for cafe snacks and photos.(Must only be a tad over 40 miles there and back, as I could see Calais docks from Cap Blanc Nez, and you can see the harbour arm of Boulogne from Wimereux. Here is a map for anyone interested in trying it (Calais just off the top, Boulogne just off the bottom):
75 Map.JPG

Can't wait for one last little ride tomorrow. Planning to ride inland to Pittefaux and Wierre-Effroy in rolling, dairy country. For now, sat enjoying the sunshine on the balcony of this sea front hotel (the room just under the top arch):
74 Hotel l'Atlantic, Wimereux.JPG

Just love cycling somewhere different. Can't get enough of it.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom