Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Fell off on my ride today. Usual commute to work, slowed down to stop at a set of traffic lights, unclipped the left foot, leant to the right:rolleyes: After I stopped laughing a few drivers asked if I was OK, and aside from a grazed knee all is well. Think I've knocked the rear mech hanger as not shifting smoothly now, I've minor fettled it on arrival at work and will see how things go in the morning.

Dark46

Veteran
Went out for a quick 15 mile ride yester with @Frazzle and waned to do certain segments so that I could get some PB s in.

Upset @Frazzle by calling the ride "Looking like a BLIMP " as he loaned me the top. Being overweight and the top being white it didn't help matters. I'm glad I only saw myself in the mirror after the ride!

Enjoyed the ride even though I pushed to hard at the beginning and faded towards the end but a 15.5 MPH average but could have been better

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I've not really had the chance to post much recently, due to life and stuff getting in the way.
Anyways. Last Sunday, my granddaughter and I rode the Classic Oxford (in aid of Breast Cancer) and chose the 12 mile route. It was to be her longest ride to date, having done 9 miles a few months ago.

We arrived on site, having had to divert several miles due to the Milton Interchange being shut for roadworks, but were still on time to commence the pedalling just after 10:00 in lovely sunshine and minimal wind.

View attachment 128259

As we were a mile or so into the ride, the lumpy tarmac/gravel track turned right up a grassy hill and into the countryside.

View attachment 128257

It was quite a challenge for her on a single speed, and we walked a bit of the way when it got too steep for her, but I was pleased that she got a fair way up it before having to stop.

View attachment 128256

This section was a bit daft to include in a 'Family Route' I thought!! Still, at least there was a narrow edge that could be walked.

View attachment 128253

Half way round, there was a sort of organised stop were we got some free squash and a pork and apple sauce roll to keep the energy levels up.

From here, the route used some lanes and a slightly busier road through a village before going off-road again. I'm pleased that she followed my guidance and instructions we'd discussed before the event, as she's not ridden on roads or in traffic before.

View attachment 128262

And after we finished, a well earned ice cream was eaten!!

13 miles ridden (including the ride to and from the car-park) Bless her, next year she says she wants to do the 30 mile route! :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/569455871

:smile:
That's sounds superb! Well done.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up early for a 30 mile solo ride this morning taking in some new roads to me .

Left the boro heading for Little Irchester then up towards Irchester before turning towards Poddington , Wymington,Newton Bromswold, Caldecott,Chelveston ,Raunds,Ringsted,Great Addington,Little Addington,Irthlingborough and back into the boro and across town to home .

A great mix of roads and all nice and quiet only 4 other cyclist out and all within 3 mile of each other towards the end .

Katherine

Guru
I took part in the Evans Hoy 100 yesterday. It was a great event with a choice of routes either 100k or 100m. I did the 100k as I would still be riding today if I'd attempted the 100m!
I also got to meet Sir Chris Hoy and have a brief chat which topped off a great day. He did the 100k ride, set off 1 hour after me, finished before me and was meeting and greeting folk when I got back looking refreshed and relaxed. It just goes to show you how fit professional athletes are.

https://www.strava.com/activities/570285830
We passed a few hundred riders as we were going in the opposite direction through the Ashley and Mobberley area. Everyone looked like they were enjoying the ride.

Stevec047

Über Member
Flipping heck who turned the heating off this morning. My phone app said 12 degrees but it felt like 4 degrees. Stupidly decided against leggings - regretted that after a couple of miles and bright red knees.

Anyway just a smudge under 25miles today decided to do a bit of exploring so my strava map looks like a 2 yr old has scribbled all over it. Headed off towards braintree desperately trying to warm up before doing a lap around the town on the cobbles. All I will say is it was intresting and I have a massive respect for anyone who has ridden the Belgium cobbles.

Headed off towards the fitchway cycle path and stopped at Rayne station for a warning coffee and a home made energy bar (nuts cherries and god knows what else)
20160514_104228.jpg
20160514_104238.jpg
20160514_112705.jpg
before heading back home.

Not a bad ride but not my best.

Dark46

Veteran
Flipping heck who turned the heating off this morning. My phone app said 12 degrees but it felt like 4 degrees. Stupidly decided against leggings - regretted that after a couple of miles and bright red knees.

Anyway just a smudge under 25miles today decided to do a bit of exploring so my strava map looks like a 2 yr old has scribbled all over it. Headed off towards braintree desperately trying to warm up before doing a lap around the town on the cobbles. All I will say is it was intresting and I have a massive respect for anyone who has ridden the Belgium cobbles.

Headed off towards the fitchway cycle path and stopped at Rayne station for a warning coffee and a home made energy bar (nuts cherries and god knows what else) View attachment 128350 View attachment 128351 View attachment 128353 before heading back home.

Not a bad ride but not my best.

Good choice of saddle snap!

Old jon

Guru
A similar breeze to yesterday. Rode my tiptoe through Holbeck, Water Lane is dug up again so under the station rode I to reach Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road and the three rs ( Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road ) to the Oakwood Clock, where I turned left to ride even further uphill past Canal Gardens. Turned right to go to the Ring Road at West Park and then up that long straight climb to Slaid Hill. Frequently see a red Kite or two at the top or along the ridge to Wike, only saw one today. East Keswick next, and up the hill and along to the A 659 which takes you to Collingham. Through Wetherby and turn right to pass the racecourse, continuing along the B1224 until the right turn for Walton, a bit of a zig zag to reach Boston Spa. A bit of traffic confusion by the bridge, turned left and then right for Clifford.

Strange place, it used to have a convent, still has two working pubs and has two rather large churches. The whole village is a two hundred yard T junction.

Anyway, the rest of the ride is predictable for me, on to Bramham, then Thorner and the right turn to the A 58 for my Boot Hill fix and a gentle trail across Leeds to finish 36 miles for the day. Pretty good.

14.05.2016.jpg

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Having done my weekend Test Valley & Wiltshire routes a fair bit lately I thought I'd have a rare Saturday ride around the New Forest, just for a change & before the hordes of tourists & caravans start clogging up the narrow forest roads.

The hardest challenge today was deciding what to wear as there was a chilly breeze blowing & I knew that a fair bit of my ride would be under tree cover so no warmth from the spring sunshine that was forecast. Winter base layer with shorts & jersey was the choice which I think was pretty spot on as I was never too warm & only noticed the cold when my feet were feeling a bit chilled.

The route itself went north & into the wind to Downton for the first 15 miles before turning back south through Godshill to Burley for the next 15 or so miles where lunch was taken on a sunny bench whilst watching the world & a fair few cyclists go by.

The second half took me across to Brockenhurst before heading back north & up & down Bolderwood hill before joining the traffic jam that is Lyndhurst High Street where I took full advantage of being on a bike & bypassed all of the queuing cars by riding down on the outside & squeezing in when needed.

63.4 miles in all & a thoroughly enjoyable ride where I learned that drinking whilst going slowly over a cattle grid is not a good idea if you value your teeth!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/575626788

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

postman

Legendary Member
A similar breeze to yesterday. Rode my tiptoe through Holbeck, Water Lane is dug up again so under the station rode I to reach Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road and the three rs ( Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road ) to the Oakwood Clock, where I turned left to ride even further uphill past Canal Gardens. Turned right to go to the Ring Road at West Park and then up that long straight climb to Slaid Hill. Frequently see a red Kite or two at the top or along the ridge to Wike, only saw one today. East Keswick next, and up the hill and along to the A 659 which takes you to Collingham. Through Wetherby and turn right to pass the racecourse, continuing along the B1224 until the right turn for Walton, a bit of a zig zag to reach Boston Spa. A bit of traffic confusion by the bridge, turned left and then right for Clifford.

Strange place, it used to have a convent, still has two working pubs and has two rather large churches. The whole village is a two hundred yard T junction.

Anyway, the rest of the ride is predictable for me, on to Bramham, then Thorner and the right turn to the A 58 for my Boot Hill fix and a gentle trail across Leeds to finish 36 miles for the day. Pretty good.

View attachment 128377

Well done Sir.Much better than my feeble attempt today.

postman

Legendary Member
Right after yesterday and all the d.i.y. today was going to be a leg stretch.I am going out on Monday,York with a bit of luck.So a nice breakfast and away at 10-30.Nice morning ,wind just a little sharp,so coat on.Usual route to Otley,nothing hard about that.So i get to Eccup Res and then Five Lane Ends as it is named.Not feeling good,so decide a visit to Headingley for a latte.Just got past Lawnswood Crem.When i say to myself,you are supposed to be going to Otley,turn around.So i duly set off for Otley,again.I get nearly to Bramhope,young cyclists many of then women are flying past me.Sod this i turn around and i go for that latte.Fifteen sad and rubbish miles.I have done some d.i.y. since i came back.Monday is going to be a very BIG day.Something is wrong,i feel empty and crap.

Diggs

Veteran
Right after yesterday and all the d.i.y. today was going to be a leg stretch.I am going out on Monday,York with a bit of luck.So a nice breakfast and away at 10-30.Nice morning ,wind just a little sharp,so coat on.Usual route to Otley,nothing hard about that.So i get to Eccup Res and then Five Lane Ends as it is named.Not feeling good,so decide a visit to Headingley for a latte.Just got past Lawnswood Crem.When i say to myself,you are supposed to be going to Otley,turn around.So i duly set off for Otley,again.I get nearly to Bramhope,young cyclists many of then women are flying past me.Sod this i turn around and i go for that latte.Fifteen sad and rubbish miles.I have done some d.i.y. since i came back.Monday is going to be a very BIG day.Something is wrong,i feel empty and crap.
That's still 15 miles,don't be too hard on yourself, sometimes you just don't feel it. File it away and tomorrow's another day

Top Bottom