Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz71

Über Member
At the start of the year i said on here i wanted to be able to do a 30 mile ride and lose 3 stone.Anyway i managed the 30 mile ride(with a pub stop for a couple of refreshing ciders)so im quite chuffed at the moment.I didnt realise how good Richmond park was for cycling as i never go there,but i absolutley loved it....especially the downhill parts!Hope everyone else had good rides today.

13 rider

Guru
After a bad week at work got up this morning in a bad mood with no mojo .pottered about all morning doing on jobs decided I needed to ride as I am fishing all day tomorrow . So out with the bike used my fall back route out to St Bernard's Abbey the ride I normally do when no plans . Anstey ,Cropston round the back of Bradgate Park and out to Beacon Crossroads left then right onto Charley Rd up through Oaks in Charnwood and up to the Abbey . Then down the lovely fast descent of swanimote Rd to Belton then today's targeted strava segment . Part of ncn 6 from Belton to Shepshed which is a single track virtually traffic free Rd but well used by pedestrians and dog walkers so you have to be lucky to get a unobstructed run today was that day and managed a PR and fastest time this year and 13th ever . Annoyingly Im pretty sure I did in quicker last week when strava wasn't working .Will try again when wind is a bit more favourable . Back onto Charley Rd and right at the end up to Whitcroft lane then Priory lane round the back of Markfield and out to Thornton down past the reservoir and back up again heading back to Markfield turn right to Ratby ,Groby ,Newtown Linford and Home , 36.2 miles done at 16.5 mph with 2090ft of climbing .went for shorts and short sleeved and wax a bit chilly for the first couple of miles mood has improved slightly

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
5 out today. Steve came as far as The Farmers Arms as he had to get back early. So 4 of us headed over the Marsh to get the wind assistance down the Hams. We took to Woolridge but Wales was hidden in the haze. The Trioscape cafe did us its usual lovely refreshments.

We began on the Brand Green way back but then I got inventive. Around by Ketford was an unusual direction for us and then at Bromsberrow Heath we took to Redmarley going the opposite way to normal. The call was then for "over the common" so we went the long way around almost to Pendock to double back for Cobb's Cross and the climb to Hollybush. Dropping down over the common I then lead for Drugger's End, again unusual. Now Sara parted at Hook Bank while Jules turned for home at Clevelode.

It was nice to get out for a ride with the gang as my mojo had gone missing this week. It was very nice to be able to invent an unusual route back too. Metric century meant nearly an extra 20 miles over the standard Trioscape run. Variety is the spice isn't it?

So glad BBC forecast was wrong for the better that is. Wall to wall sunshine round East Lothian.

IMG_20160514_103055_PerfectlyClear_zpszplflr1z.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After catching a case of cantbearseditus last weekend I kicked myself out of bed this morning at 4:45 to get the May imperial done. Weather forecast was dry but a cold northerly wind and a drop in temperature from recent days.

Anyway a couple of slices of toast, a bowl of cornflakes and a mug of tea later and I was out of the door just before 6:00.

The plan was to do the 65 mile commute route I did on Thursday, then do my normal 25 mile commute route home and tag on 10 miles somewhere along the way.

Doing this I didn't have to follow the Satmap and with doing my commuting route I knew my speed would drop as I hit the cycle paths and parks near the city centre so I wasn't bothered about setting a good pace. Anyway as I get about 15 miles into the ride I get Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light stuck in my head and it stays with me for hours! At this point I remembered by route would take me by a 10 mile TT course so there was my extra 10 miles.

Got to circa 20 miles and decided I didn't fancy doing the 25 miles commute route, so threw a few loops of Saddington/Smeeton Westery/Kibworth. For those that don't know the area Saddinton is on a hill, I went into Saddington the easy way which gave me a 11% descent out of it, 37mph without trying :becool:

By the time I had got to the TT part of the route I'd added 18 miles onto the route, so didn't need to go around it.

Anyway enough waffle, Saw loads of cyclists out and everyone said hello :laugh: Even saw a couple of what I would call proper roadies with a young lass, she was keeping with them and chatting non stop.

All in I did my longest single ride of the year so far a tad over 107 miles. Stopped and took one photo for the cycling challenge, Got rumbled by the bloke in the house next door, told him what I was doing and we chatted for a few minutes

WP_20160514_10_03_10_Pro.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/575611538#kudos

Old jon

Guru
Right after yesterday and all the d.i.y. today was going to be a leg stretch.I am going out on Monday,York with a bit of luck.So a nice breakfast and away at 10-30.Nice morning ,wind just a little sharp,so coat on.Usual route to Otley,nothing hard about that.So i get to Eccup Res and then Five Lane Ends as it is named.Not feeling good,so decide a visit to Headingley for a latte.Just got past Lawnswood Crem.When i say to myself,you are supposed to be going to Otley,turn around.So i duly set off for Otley,again.I get nearly to Bramhope,young cyclists many of then women are flying past me.Sod this i turn around and i go for that latte.Fifteen sad and rubbish miles.I have done some d.i.y. since i came back.Monday is going to be a very BIG day.Something is wrong,i feel empty and crap.

All miles count, don't they?

89 miles in total today. I was on a ride, when I got an email from the bosses up in Manchester, about some sky kit FPKW who wanted some people to ride with. I felt sorry for him, so I obliged.

https://www.strava.com/activities/575960852

First I went to Winchester for coffee and cake.

image.jpeg

It was lovely:hungry:

Then I went up some hills.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then I got the email, so I headed to Southampton Uni

image.jpeg

For a ride with this unknown Sky kit knobber.
image.jpeg

To be fair, he was quite good, reckon he could turn pro some day.

A nice ( but knackering ) day.

:thumbsup::bicycle:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a productive bus mans holiday this afternoon
image.jpeg

I went out approaching 5pm with the boy. I had a base layer and leg warmers on as the wind was a bit fresh, I think I got it just right today.
We rode down to the Cambourne roundabout, then on through the quiet lane I came through the other way last Saturday that leads to Elsworth. The road in this direction is as rough as rough. We passed the shrine to the motorcyclist
image.jpeg

Seems an odd way to remember someone to me. Each to their own.

Up over the hill toward Hilton. Last time here I could only get 29 mph due to the wind, today it was 35.
Approaching Graveley the wind was just about in my favour so I gave it a bit of effort, trying to see if I could beat my strava best efforts, I did too! Big kid.

Then it was past the wind farm before crossing the A428
image.jpeg

Down through Croxton, but then instead of a left we went right to Abbotsley. How very daring! We then took a turn for Waresley, a nice quiet lane in the sun.
image.jpeg

I wasn't quite sure where this lane would bring us into the village, and the short, sharp hill took me by surprise! The boy skinned me!
image.jpeg

From Waresley it was back through the Gransdens for a change, then Bourn, but we took the Caldecote road today as it would give us more protection from the north wind.
An enjoyable ride, even though my grumpy arsed son never said more than 3 words to me! Having said that, he did do 1 of the almost 36 miles on the front!

https://www.strava.com/activities/575974008

Dave 123

Legendary Member
89 miles in total today. I was on a ride, when I got an email from the bosses up in Manchester, about some sky kit FPKW who wanted some people to ride with. I felt sorry for him, so I obliged.

https://www.strava.com/activities/575960852

First I went to Winchester for coffee and cake.

View attachment 128412

It was lovely:hungry:

Then I went up some hills.

View attachment 128413

View attachment 128414

Then I got the email, so I headed to Southampton Uni

View attachment 128416

For a ride with this unknown Sky kit knobber.
View attachment 128417

To be fair, he was quite good, reckon he could turn pro some day.

A nice ( but knackering ) day.

:thumbsup::bicycle:

I saw this earlier on faceache, I wondered if you'd go. Did you let him speak to you? I really nice thing for him to do.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was 38 miles in the very agreeable company of @EasyPeez, @Julia9054, and her partner.

None of us had met before, but as usual for meets via the forum, we got on a treat.

@EasyPeez is disgustingly fit, and the other two aren't far behind, but once again my ebike levelled the field just enough for me to keep up.

We set off from Easingwold in North Yorkshire, heading for Castle Howard, which proved to be an excellent coffee stop.

High end stately home courtyard surroundings and very tasty food.

Suitably refreshed, we went north for a few miles before turning west at Oswaldkirk towards Ampleforth and Byland Abbey.

Another recommendable coffee stop, a sheltered and spacious courtyard garden at the rear, and plenty of space to park the bikes.

From there we headed towards Coxwold and south back to Easingwold.

Apparently we averaged 12.7mph, which I reckon is good going given the very lumpy terrain - it never lets up and one or two of the climbs are steep.

But it's the hills that make the glorious views and scenery - I can't think of a better way of taking it all in than on a bicycle.

Thanks again to @EasyPeez for the company and route planning, and thanks to Mr and Mrs Julia for turning out and adding to my enjoyment of the ride.

I saw this earlier on faceache, I wondered if you'd go. Did you let him speak to you? I really nice thing for him to do.
He was quality. He chatted to everyone who wanted to talk to him, did hundreds of 'selfies' signed all sorts, a lot of pro athletes can be peanuts. He isn't one of them. I could have done without his '25mph average without breaking into a sweat' pace ( which nearly made me puke). But what a top guy:notworthy:.

Surlydave

Über Member
A great day for a ride to check the route for a club ride that I am leading later in the summer.
Sunny but with a stiffish northerly breeze that made the legs out to lunch a bit hard going.
The first leg going through Kersey, (with ford) see attached photo,11's at a cafe in Lavenham,
(very picturesque). Then on to Stansfield, assisted by a quick blast down Hartest hill,
supposedly the steepest hill in Suffolk!!. After lunch and with the breeze now helping it was onto
Monks Eleigh for tea and more cake!!
Hopefully the ride later on will be as successful.

https://www.strava.com/activities/575731730

Osprey

Guru
A 7.30 start and boy was it cold. The good news it was a weekend without any wind. What a difference. Took the Van Nic and chose one of my favourite loops on the Gower. 32 miles in total with a variety of scenery offering lanes along the side of salt marshes, country farm lanes, climbs over Cefn Bryn which is the central spine of the Gower offering 360 deg views including the North Devon coastline, over sheep grazing commons and descents and climbs in and out of the bays. That's about it really, just a really enjoyable leisurely ride.

upload_2016-5-14_20-40-24.png

IMG_20160514_084442.jpg

Broad Pool with Cefn Bryn in the background.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was due out late morning, so it was an early start to get a ride in today.
Bit cooler today wasn't it? Might have to get the arm warmers out again at this rate...

Anyhow, Scholes, Barwick, Garforth and the climb back to Aberford. Set off the Slow Down sign :whistle:, then climbed back up to Lotherton Hall. From there to Saxton, passing a young lady walking 4 horses up the road, then on to Barkston Ash, Church Fenton, and Ryther before turning for home via Ulleskelf, Stutton, Bramham and Thorner setting a new PB up Van Zyl Hill! :okay:

36.12 miles (58.13km) in 2h 36m at an average of 14.3mph, with 1,594ft climbed. All good there then.

Sorry, no pics again :rolleyes:

Then off for an afternoon in the pub. ;)

toffee

Guru
Mrs T and I decided to do a longer ride today. Still in training for another of our tours this year so we were both loaded up with full rear panniers.

First off, who switched the heating off this morning. It was sunny with some very cold spots on the whole ride, at one point my feet were going numb. Quite windy as well with it also seeming to to be a headwind round the complete loop.

54 miles today at a moving average of 12.6 mph. Not bad for us, must be all the work in the gym paying off.

Stopped off at a new cafe which has just opened in Westbury in Northants. Lovely cakes and a nice cup of tea although the bike racks were a bit rubbish.

http://www.westburyvillage.org/#!village-shop/c1bpa

_20160514_220015-320x193.JPG

Derek

Top Bottom