Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Three rides this week.

Tuesday: We put the bikes in boxes we scrounged for Halfords, drove to Heathrow and flew to Charles De Gaul Airport, Paris, unpacked the bikes, leaving the boxes by some bins and eventually after a bit of faffing found our way out of the airport to and on our way to Beauvais, via Survilliers, At Orrey La Ville we saw a couple of AG2R La Mondiale cyclists out for a training ride I guess. They actually waved at us! Then onto Lamorlaye, Gouviex where we got a bit lost and Chateau Rouge where we stopped for chocolat chaud, the weather was a bit pants, grey and drizzly, the last ten miles of the journey we got soaked, we arrived at the hotel wet through, dripping water all over the foyer, but we got some paper towels dried off the bike, showered and settled in for the night. 43.72 Miles

PAris 1.jpg

Negotiating Charly Dougal Airport

1-IMG_3283.JPG

Unpacking the bikes

2-IMG_3284.JPG

Can anyone spot the schoolboy error I made here?
3-IMG_3287.JPG

Weather not looking very good.

4-IMG_3292.JPG

We are good to go.
5-IMG_3294.JPG

It's about to precipitate down,

6-IMG_3296.JPG

Maccy D french style

7-IMG_3299.JPG

A call of nature stop.

PAris 2.jpg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Wednesday: After an excellent breakfast we set off again towards Dieppe, we had perfect weather, dry, not too sunny, no wind, fantastic roads, stunning scenery. Riding in France is so much better than in England, a totally different experience. The routes was sweeping hills, not at all taxing and lovely long downhills, through pretty towns and villages. Along the way we met 6 retired gents from the New Forest area who have been doing a 400 mile tour of France every year for the last 17 years, one of them owns three bike shops in the New Forest, nice chaps we had a gossip and a coffee and we went on our way, we needed to be at Dieppe by 5 pm for the ferry. At Neufchatel-en-Bray we stayed on the D1 which runs alongside Avenue Vert we contemplated riding a long this famous path but stuck to the roads in the end.

Once at Dieppe we boarded the ferry after an hours wait, which was bit tedious, but not as feckin’ tedious as having to pay £2 for a tea in cardboard cup meant for espresso coffee. After the four hour trip across the sea we arrived in Newhaven and a short ride to the hotel for a good night’s kip. 65.8 Miles.
1-IMG_3304.JPG

An old livestock market I think.

2-IMG_3307.JPG

3-IMG_3309.JPG

Not long after this photo the weather cheered up a bit.
4-IMG_3317.JPG

War Memorial
5-IMG_3318.JPG

Now that's an actual French château.

6-IMG_3319.JPG

We had a lovely typically French lunch here.

7-IMG_3322.JPG

Avenue Verte on the left, busy with kids running and cycing.

8-IMG_3323.JPG

Stunning.

PAris 3.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thursday, we left Newhaven and rode to Heathrow Airport to collect the car, via West Grinstead, Billingshurst, Shalford where we stopped in a yummy mummy café for coffee and cake, Guildford, where my bike bag snapped off its mount so I had buy a ruck sack to finish the last 25 miles of the ride. Through familiar territory now, of Woking, New Haw, Addlestone, Chertsey, riding past my old school.

Then along the Thames to Staines, where on the Thame path near Penton Hook we met a man walking his dogs, and on his shoulder he was carrying a Parakeet, we stopped and chatted for a while and the man put the bird on my hand, his name was Monty and was 34 years old, the Parakeet, not the man. It made my day. We finally arrived at Terminal 5 after 77.39 miles.

1-IMG_3326.JPG

Wrong ng Way

2-IMG_3328.JPG

Wheeeeee!

3-IMG_3329.JPG

I needed that.

PAris 5.jpg

Cycling into Terminal 5 isn't that easy.

PAris 4.jpg

Last edited:
Well second ride of tapering off- actually slightly more mileage, and climbing (hardly tapering off!)
but actually one less ascent.
I seemed fated to have problems, on the third and fourth ascents of Tite Hill, there was tree lopping, which delayed me the second time.
So down and up Crimp Hill for the 5th and final ascent.

The first time up Tite, I gave it a bit of a go and did a PR on the two main segements for the full hill
(One doesn't show as PR on Strava as someone has flagged it as hazadous for some reason!)
The Tite Hill full segment at 4 min 4 seconds was 17 seconds better than before
The segment "Tite Hill non stop" at 3 min 56 seconds was 13 seconds better than before

Next week seems to need quite easy until the Velothon
Just wondering if I should do club run on sunday - they are normally not too hard.
It is however longer than usual to Wallingford

Anyway today's was 24.85 miles @ 15.4 mph
1371 feet climbed

In the part of the ride after the hill reps I went through the park, past Smith's Lawn.
The tail wind made that very fast , rreaching 26.5 mph
Coming down Breakheart Hill towards Blacknet just after there was a team of horse rides with Welsh Flag emblem uniforms
This must be part of the Windsor Horse Show which is on at the present time

https://www.strava.com/activities/574566234/

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've not really had the chance to post much recently, due to life and stuff getting in the way.
Anyways. Last Sunday, my granddaughter and I rode the Classic Oxford (in aid of Breast Cancer) and chose the 12 mile route. It was to be her longest ride to date, having done 9 miles a few months ago.

We arrived on site, having had to divert several miles due to the Milton Interchange being shut for roadworks, but were still on time to commence the pedalling just after 10:00 in lovely sunshine and minimal wind.

The start-sml.JPG

As we were a mile or so into the ride, the lumpy tarmac/gravel track turned right up a grassy hill and into the countryside.

Grassy hill-sml.JPG

It was quite a challenge for her on a single speed, and we walked a bit of the way when it got too steep for her, but I was pleased that she got a fair way up it before having to stop.

Ewwww-sml.JPG

This section was a bit daft to include in a 'Family Route' I thought!! Still, at least there was a narrow edge that could be walked.

Half way - Boars Head-sml.JPG

Half way round, there was a sort of organised stop were we got some free squash and a pork and apple sauce roll to keep the energy levels up.

From here, the route used some lanes and a slightly busier road through a village before going off-road again. I'm pleased that she followed my guidance and instructions we'd discussed before the event, as she's not ridden on roads or in traffic before.

The end.jpg

And after we finished, a well earned ice cream was eaten!!

13 miles ridden (including the ride to and from the car-park) Bless her, next year she says she wants to do the 30 mile route! :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/569455871

:smile:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Only breezy this morning, roughly from the same direction as yesterday, but by ‘eck its cooler. Holbeck and the Great Wilson Street entrance to Hunslet followed by the climb to John O’ Gaunt’s ( the building with the bow windows about forty seconds in to the video used to be the pub of that name )

As I wandered gently through Woodlesford and Swillington, odd thoughts happened about where to go next, so around the top of Garforth for a change, then all the way around the roundabout at junction 47 to point the bike towards Peckfield Bar along the A 656. Halfway along I turned left for Micklefield, and left again onto the Great North Road. The sign is still there, ( and I am old enough to remember the reality. )
Anyway, turn left, it is surprisingly uphill, and continue to the B 1217, where I turned right onto a stretch of road I have used a few times, to Lotherton Gates. Left for Aberford and right when I reached the old A 1 again, now christened Main Street. Left along Cattle Lane to go to Barwick in Elmet, through Scholes to the A 64, left to Thorner Lane, and that orrible right turn onto it, left for Skelton’s and Red Hall Lanes and wheeeeeeeeeee down Boot Hill. Thirty and a half rather wonderful miles and my feet were freezing when I reached home.

13.05.2016.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've not really had the chance to post much recently, due to life and stuff getting in the way.
Anyways. Last Sunday, my granddaughter and I rode the Classic Oxford (in aid of Breast Cancer) and chose the 12 mile route. It was to be her longest ride to date, having done 9 miles a few months ago.

We arrived on site, having had to divert several miles due to the Milton Interchange being shut for roadworks, but were still on time to commence the pedalling just after 10:00 in lovely sunshine and minimal wind.

View attachment 128259

As we were a mile or so into the ride, the lumpy tarmac/gravel track turned right up a grassy hill and into the countryside.

View attachment 128257

It was quite a challenge for her on a single speed, and we walked a bit of the way when it got too steep for her, but I was pleased that she got a fair way up it before having to stop.

View attachment 128256

This section was a bit daft to include in a 'Family Route' I thought!! Still, at least there was a narrow edge that could be walked.

View attachment 128253

Half way round, there was a sort of organised stop were we got some free squash and a pork and apple sauce roll to keep the energy levels up.

From here, the route used some lanes and a slightly busier road through a village before going off-road again. I'm pleased that she followed my guidance and instructions we'd discussed before the event, as she's not ridden on roads or in traffic before.

View attachment 128262

13 miles ridden (including the ride to and from the car-park) Bless her, next year she says she wants to do the 30 mile route! :becool:

Well done her! That ride is just up the road from me, I live in Upton. I was going to do it but I had to w*rk.

Perhaps you'd be interested in this http://www.uptonogood.org.uk/day/

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well second ride of tapering off- actually slightly more mileage, and climbing (hardly rapering off!)
but actually one less ascent.
I seemed tated to have problems, on the third and fourth ascents of Tite Hill, there was tree lopping, which delayed me the second time.
So donw and up Crimp Hill for the 5th and final ascent.

The first time up Tite, I gave it a bit of a go and did a PR on the twi main segements for the full hill
(One doesn't show as PR on Strava as someone has flagged it as hazadous for some reason!)
The Tite Hill full segment at 4 min 4 seconds was 17 seconds better than before
The segment "Tite Hill non stop" at 3 min 56 seconds was 13 seconds better than before

Next week seems to neeed quite easy until the Velothon
Just wondering if I should do club run on sunday - they are normally not too hard.
It is however longer than usual to Wallingford

Anyway today's was 24.85 miles @ 15.4 mph
1371 feet climbed

In the part of the ride after the hill reps I went through the park, past Smith's Lawn.
The tail wind made that very fast , rreaching 26.5 mph
Coming down Breakheart Hill towards Blacknet just after there was a team of horse rides with Welsh Flag emblem uniforms
This must be part of the Windsor Horse Show which is on at the present time

https://www.strava.com/activities/574566234/

It looks like I rode past your front door yesterday, or very near it.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

View attachment 128259

View attachment 128257

View attachment 128256

View attachment 128253

View attachment 128262

Woo hoo go girlie.

Excellent post and a new recruit for CC.

PeteXXX

Well done her! That ride is just up the road from me, I live in Upton. I was going to do it but I had to w*rk.

Perhaps you'd be interested in this http://www.uptonogood.org.uk/day/
Cheers, she loved it!
That ride sounds good but I might be on the L2B that weekend but I'll certainly bear it in mind :okay:

Woo hoo go girlie.

Excellent post and a new recruit for CC.
Thanks. It was a fun day out for us, with Mum Dad and her pesky little brother meeting us for the start and finish.

PeteXXX

Usual mid week loop - Cogenhoe, Brayfield, Brackmills, Hardingstone, Preston Deaney, Quinton, Salcey Forest, Horton, Denton, Brayfield and home. As the evenings pull out and the legs improve I'm going to have to extend it. I think at least an extra 5 miles needs to be tacked on, plus a couple more hills to test the legs at the end.
From Cogenhoe, you could add Whiston and Grendon to that loupe. That'd give you the extra mileage and hills you crave.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride this- a quick trip to Newmarket to the opticians, taking the scenic / direct route straight across the race-course

image.jpeg

Someone has thoughtfully removed a nasty stile here and put in a much easier gate since I last came this way. Much easier. This spot is the county boundary- on the right, Cambs, left, Suffolk.

image.jpeg

Newmarket Heath.

image.jpeg

And a bit further along on a sandy track. It's quite bumpy because of all the horses, but not too bad. I noticed to my left, a new grass runway for light aircraft. I wondered if they'd have a go at me for riding past but Biggles and his chums didn't seem bothered.

Alovely sunny 14 miler in total.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
And today's ride, a trip to the Smoke. First the 10 miles to Cambridge station, then rode south from Kings Cross.

I've long wanted to have a ride on one of the new cycle superhighways so I headed south to the river and then west along the Embankment.

image.jpeg

I hadn't been sure where I was from Kings Cross, so just kept heading south til I got to the big wet bit, and I found the right road eventually

image.jpeg

It is absolutely brilliant!

image.jpeg

After Big Ben I noticed Parliament Sqaure is now much easier to negotiate by bike.

image.jpeg

The obligatory pic of Brenda's house. I then headed up through Hyde park.

image.jpeg

It reminded me of the Walks this bit, in Kings Lynn, but obviously the Kings Lynn version is much finer and grander as I'm sure @mjray would agree !

A nice 8 miler through the city- I'd forgotten how much fun cycling in London can be.

Last edited:
https://www.strava.com/activities/574859486

Just over 100 Km's today ( I managed to forget to start Strava until ten miles in:angry:)

Up to Fareham, then down to Gunwharf quays to pick up a BMC Jersey and Bib shorts for 70 quid:okay:.

Then up Portsdown hill. To the Fort Nelson Cafe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then off towards Wickham, where I stopped for a bit in a nice pub.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then I screwed up, and somehow ended up going back up Portsdown hill:rolleyes:.

Then Wickham, then to my mums place, then I screwed up again, and accidentally ended up caning it round a corner, to be confronted by this.

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14490...on_destroys_Fireworks_Factory_in_Southampton/

Because I somehow managed to join the road after the roadblock :whistle:.

I got a bit of a bollicking.:laugh:.

All in all a nice day though:thumbsup:

Top Bottom