Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I started getting wet as soon as I left my house. I continued to get wetter the further I cycled. And wetter. At one point during my 18 mile spin out to Falkenham and back, I tried to remember which way osmosis occurs. I think I lost a few ounces in sweat and gained half a stone in rainwater.
Loved it! ^_^

rugby bloke

Veteran
I started getting wet as soon as I left my house. I continued to get wetter the further I cycled. And wetter. At one point during my 18 mile spin out to Falkenham and back, I tried to remember which way osmosis occurs. I think I lost a few ounces in sweat and gained half a stone in rainwater.
Loved it! ^_^
Sounds like proper cycling weather, none of this warm, dry rubbish !!

Old jon

Guru
I think I may be wearing a rut in the tarmac around the ride I did today. Possibly feeling lazy in the route planning department, I did the Holbeck and Hunslet tango, exit via Crown Point Road and then along Regent Street, Roseville Road and the wind hindered climb along Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock. Boot Hill to follow, and turn right after crossing the Ring Road to follow the three lanes into Thorner. Up Church Hill, heading for Bramham where I turned left along West Woods Road to Wetherby.

The weather started wetting while I was eating, so a straightforward return along the A 58 seemed a good idea. I reached home after the fun antics of the drop from the Ring Road after riding 31.2 pleasant miles.

Thanks for the info, @Elybazza61 .

10.05.16.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well todays effort turned out tp be an absolute corker. I had the van booked in to have a towbar fitted in Bristol, and figured while they had it I'd do the Bristol to Bath Railway Path, and maybe have a look at the Two Tunnels Greenway.
The weather forecast was less than ideal, and I set off from Westfalia's workshop at 0845 (after a 2.5hr drive to get there) in light rain. Finding the Bristol to Bath Railway Path was easy, it's very well signposted, and as I discovered, very busy during the rush hour! I've never seen so many bikes, it was like a motorway but pedal powered, absolutely brilliant! The path seemed to be a gentle incline for the first few miles, and given the rather rubbish weather I had my full wet weather gear on and just got my head down and got on with it. After about 10 miles the rain stopped, and the wets went into the pannier. The oath was much quieter away from Bristol, and I paused briefly at the Avon Railway for a snack and pic
10 May 2016 Avon Railway Crane.jpg

Bath arrived quicker than expected, and Cycle Route 244 led me towards the Two Tunnels Greenway. By now it was a quite pleasant 16 degrees, and humid with it. The first tunnel was over in a minute, but the second was much longer. Got freaked out halfway down it, aside from it being very cold and misty, there were some thingies set into the walls playing tunes which threw me until I figured it out!
10 May 2016 Two Tunnels.jpg

After the 2nd tunnel I continued, planning to stop at the Dundas viaduct but somehow managed to miss it..Not to worry, onwards to the Avon Canal path to return me to Bath. I thought this would be a nice route, but to be honest I wished I'd turned round and gone though the tunnels again. The towpath was very wet, muddy, rough and closed in 3 places with poor for cycling diversions (albeit well signposted). Still, back in Bath I started the hunt for food, though not before stopping for this pic. My wife & I sat on the riverbank here eating paties on our 10th wedding anniversary.
10 May 2016 Bath.jpg

Bath was busy, and the rain started again:rain: I chanced upon a Greggs and a very nice young lady was happy to serve me whilst I waited outside with the bike, so with 2 hot sausage rolls stashed in the bag it was time to find somewhere to eat. Unfortunately the towpath was shut (again), so after another rubbish diversion I found myself back on the B2B Railway Path, so paused to eat and have a breather. Those sauage rolls didn't last long:mrpig::mrpig:My trusty steed, just over 2500 miles in the last 15 months with this and a comfy commuter
10 May 2016 B2B Path.jpg

Shortly after this the rain came on in earnest, so back on with the wet weather gear. By the time I got to Warmley it had stopped, and I was really starting to feel the miles (about 36 miles by this point), so stopped at the 'railway' café for coffee and cake. I'd have loved to use the infamous Tardis toilet, but it seemed to be having some repair work done, judging by the man waving his 'sonic' screwdriver at it:smile:. The 2 ladies here were very friendly, good laugh too. Coffee good, coffee cake excellent:mrpig:
10 May 2016 Warmley Cake.jpg

Suitably refreshed, the last 7 miles seemed a little easier. I brief stop as I had to get a pic of this fella, and it was too wet on the way out.
10 May 2016 B2B Metal Man.jpg

Arriving back at Westfalia with 43 miles done, I was quite pleased, my biggest distance this year. The van wasn't ready, so rather than sit about I thought I'd add a couple more miles, which turned into why not try for 50 miles? SO after doing a bit of the B2B path again, I finished the day on 50.8 miles, my biggest ride ever:hyper::hyper:.
2 hour drive home, and I'm shattered now. Thing I'll drive to work tomorrow:laugh:

RedRider

Pulling through
I ride my bike at work as I visit clients living across Lambeth and Southwark, it's one of the great things about my job. Work is particularly busy at the mo' with a few people going through some tough times which can get a bit stressy for me too so I value the time travelling from one appointment to the next.
Today I was riding through Burgess park in the pissing rain and as I reached Old Kent Road happened upon a family of Dutch tourists pootling along on (do we still have to call them) Boris Bikes.
The dad commented on my bike, resplendent as it is in the colours of the Dutch national flag, and asked if I could direct them towards Greenwich.
Well it was easier to show than tell and there was still half an hour before my next visit so I ride with them to the old Surrey Docks Canal route, a little more pleasant than okr and point them on from there.
It's amazing how much you can find out about people even on a short bicycle ride. This Eindhoven family were well into professional cycling, had been to watch the tour of Flanders and we chatted about Tom Dumoulin's stint in pink at the giro.
They were surprised to see me helmetless (as of course they were too) and I put their mind at ease that no, it's perfectly legal.
It was great to meet this smiling family, totally unfazed by the rain and I bet they had a great day out in Greenwich.
For me it was a bright moment in an otherwise full-on day.

gavgav

Guru
Well todays effort turned out tp be an absolute corker. I had the van booked in to have a towbar fitted in Bristol, and figured while they had it I'd do the Bristol to Bath Railway Path, and maybe have a look at the Two Tunnels Greenway.
The weather forecast was less than ideal, and I set off from Westfalia's workshop at 0845 (after a 2.5hr drive to get there) in light rain. Finding the Bristol to Bath Railway Path was easy, it's very well signposted, and as I discovered, very busy during the rush hour! I've never seen so many bikes, it was like a motorway but pedal powered, absolutely brilliant! The path seemed to be a gentle incline for the first few miles, and given the rather rubbish weather I had my full wet weather gear on and just got my head down and got on with it. After about 10 miles the rain stopped, and the wets went into the pannier. The oath was much quieter away from Bristol, and I paused briefly at the Avon Railway for a snack and pic
View attachment 127997
Bath arrived quicker than expected, and Cycle Route 244 led me towards the Two Tunnels Greenway. By now it was a quite pleasant 16 degrees, and humid with it. The first tunnel was over in a minute, but the second was much longer. Got freaked out halfway down it, aside from it being very cold and misty, there were some thingies set into the walls playing tunes which threw me until I figured it out!
View attachment 127999
After the 2nd tunnel I continued, planning to stop at the Dundas viaduct but somehow managed to miss it..Not to worry, onwards to the Avon Canal path to return me to Bath. I thought this would be a nice route, but to be honest I wished I'd turned round and gone though the tunnels again. The towpath was very wet, muddy, rough and closed in 3 places with poor for cycling diversions (albeit well signposted). Still, back in Bath I started the hunt for food, though not before stopping for this pic. My wife & I sat on the riverbank here eating paties on our 10th wedding anniversary.
View attachment 128001
Bath was busy, and the rain started again:rain: I chanced upon a Greggs and a very nice young lady was happy to serve me whilst I waited outside with the bike, so with 2 hot sausage rolls stashed in the bag it was time to find somewhere to eat. Unfortunately the towpath was shut (again), so after another rubbish diversion I found myself back on the B2B Railway Path, so paused to eat and have a breather. Those sauage rolls didn't last long:mrpig::mrpig:My trusty steed, just over 2500 miles in the last 15 months with this and a comfy commuter
View attachment 128002
Shortly after this the rain came on in earnest, so back on with the wet weather gear. By the time I got to Warmley it had stopped, and I was really starting to feel the miles (about 36 miles by this point), so stopped at the 'railway' café for coffee and cake. I'd have loved to use the infamous Tardis toilet, but it seemed to be having some repair work done, judging by the man waving his 'sonic' screwdriver at it:smile:. The 2 ladies here were very friendly, good laugh too. Coffee good, coffee cake excellent:mrpig:
View attachment 128003
Suitably refreshed, the last 7 miles seemed a little easier. I brief stop as I had to get a pic of this fella, and it was too wet on the way out.
View attachment 128004
Arriving back at Westfalia with 43 miles done, I was quite pleased, my biggest distance this year. The van wasn't ready, so rather than sit about I thought I'd add a couple more miles, which turned into why not try for 50 miles? SO after doing a bit of the B2B path again, I finished the day on 50.8 miles, my biggest ride ever:hyper::hyper:.
2 hour drive home, and I'm shattered now. Thing I'll drive to work tomorrow:laugh:
Brilliant, well done!!

Little single speed run in the murk this morning;haven't been out on it for ages so made a nice change.

It still needs some sorting at some stage;needs a longer stem and narrower bars(should really go for a classic quill set up I suppose),plus it needs better pedals.

https://www.strava.com/activities/572309166

Weigh parked on New Square:becool:;

weighjg.jpg

Oh and taking a too big a gulp of water and almost choking don't half make the heart rate jump!:laugh:

On the tapering off period of my self made training plan
This is a two week period of reducing volume
I am doing hill reps as the key area

So went to Egham and up Priest Hill, however roadworks near the top so , remaing 5 hill reps were on Tite Hill

I remember when I first started cycling again - say around Mid 2013, before Iwas on Strava
First attempt at Tite Hill had to stop halfway
This was on the hybrid, a heavy bike though a triple

Now I don't bat an eyelid at 6 repeats of the same hill (one a different way up)

Did not feel over stressed by this and feeling good and strong ready for Velothon (22nd May)

http://www.strava.com/activities/572435099

20.54 miles @ 14.7 mph - slow but hilly
1145 feet climbed so for me a hilly ride 50 ft/mile

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A 20 mile loop around Little and Great Gransden in the gloom this evening, with the occasional spit and spot of rain.

I didn't see many other people out until I came near Bourn airfield. There were a few people around on TT bikes. The start was in Hardwick, I tried not to look otherwise I might start hankering after a carbon rocket....

It was one of those rides where it was a struggle all the way round, but m sure it did me good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/572808554

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I ride my bike at work as I visit clients living across Lambeth and Southwark, it's one of the great things about my job. Work is particularly busy at the mo' with a few people going through some tough times which can get a bit stressy for me too so I value the time travelling from one appointment to the next.
Today I was riding through Burgess park in the pissing rain and as I reached Old Kent Road happened upon a family of Dutch tourists pootling along on (do we still have to call them) Boris Bikes.
The dad commented on my bike, resplendent as it is in the colours of the Dutch national flag, and asked if I could direct them towards Greenwich.
Well it was easier to show than tell and there was still half an hour before my next visit so I ride with them to the old Surrey Docks Canal route, a little more pleasant than okr and point them on from there.
It's amazing how much you can find out about people even on a short bicycle ride. This Eindhoven family were well into professional cycling, had been to watch the tour of Flanders and we chatted about Tom Dumoulin's stint in pink at the giro.
They were surprised to see me helmetless (as of course they were too) and I put their mind at ease that no, it's perfectly legal.
It was great to meet this smiling family, totally unfazed by the rain and I bet they had a great day out in Greenwich.
For me it was a bright moment in an otherwise full-on day.

Nice story. I am curious to know what you do that allows you to cycle to appointments. Are you willing / allowed to say?

Top Bottom