Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
And today a light spin in along the Cam cycle path as a recovery ride;

https://www.strava.com/activities/585148232

I like the elevation profile on Strava. It looks epic until you see it was 10 metres!

Old jon

Guru
Another bright morning! Wonderful. Vague idea of a route, so off I go. The usual Holbeck and Hunslet faff, Water Lane’s Everlasting Roadworks have moved to the other side of the road. Cross the river at Crown Point Bridge, continue to Regent Street and wend my way along to the Oakwood Clock and up Boot Hill. Turn left at the top for Shadwell, another left for Slaid Hill, turn right there to ride along Wike Ridge. Through the village of that name, and East Keswick passing the Potts clock. Along the Harewood road to Collingham, turning left and then right along Wattle Syke up to the collection of roads and roundabouts that can, with luck, point you in the direction of Boston Spa.

A busy place this midday. I turned right for Clifford, followed by Bramham and Thorner, and after Sandhills turned left on Skeltons Lane, which leads nicely to my well earned spin down Boot Hill and, no rain as yet, the gentle trek home from Roundhay Road. A not so grand total of 33.4 thoroughly enjoyable miles, but don’t tell my legs!

23052016.jpg

john59

Guru

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It seemed to be a bit of a struggle getting out today but I eventually overcame that and headed out into a fairly brisk wind. That should help later I thought but for now I couldn't get the pace up. My pace suffered too on the climb to Acton Green but I dropped away from there into the Frome valley quite quickly. The ride over to Burley Gate wasn't as tough as usual and I was soon at Withington and heading for Larport.

Now I crossed the Wye at Mordiford and took to the lumpy run to Hoarwithy where I could recross the Wye. It was now a steady if up and down climb all the way to the top of the Marcles and a drop to Much Marcle. I was beginning to flag a bit now and that north wind was rearing its head again. It was just a case of dig in and keep at it. I did but the ups were getting harder. Fortunately the Castlemorton lanes gave me some shelter so I only had a few short sections of full on head wind. All good tho' with another few miles (67) bagged.

Finally reporting on yesterday 's velothon.

I had a start time of 8.11, and our cottage was though about 7 miles away, was about 10 miles by a realistic route. Started badly and got totally lost but arrived a little late but somehow sneaked in St the correct time.

Weather was cool and we were to have showers and a little sun.

Early part of the route was east towards Newport. Level ground and easy riding.
Then north and gradually hills started appearing. Still not too tough .

Then a few miles from Abergavenny we were stopped, there was apparently some problem ahead. We never found out what it was. After over 10 mins we restarted. Of course we were now cycling more congested, and reached the Tumble with too many people around. The climb was not hard but very long, 1200 gt or so. But it was hard picking a way through all the slower cyclists. Still could feel the effects of the effort In my legs.
The descent was wonderful and coming through Blaenavon, the applause and encouragement from onlookers reached a new and warm and enthusiastic level. Then a bit of a slog down eventually reaching Caerphilly, and the climb up Caerphilly Mountain started immediately.

Where most people cycled the Tumble, it seemed most were walking this. The gradient was tougher and legs tireder.

However made it up this too. From here it was mostly downhill into Cardiff and the finish. Still had to get back to our cottage, and I mangled the navigation again. More by luck than judgement got back on, though last part was slow

So did 116.5 miles @ 14.2 mph
Feet climbed were 6876 feet.

Official time for the Velothon was 6hrs 24 mins, could've been less without the delay.

It was unusual to be on closed roads though there were lots of other cyclists to contend with.

Saw a couple of peoplebeing treated by the roadside. Also one guy went off on the fast Tumble descent.

https://www.strava.com/activities/584568267

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Yesterday, I woke up at 04.30 and seriously thought about getting out for the long ride I'd planned the night before. I ended up getting out at 09.00 for a short 25 mile pootle to Felixstowe. :whistle: (Dunwich will have to wait.)

I decided to treat myself to a coffee and a bacon sandwich at The Ferry Café. (The crisps were apparently garnish.)
Please study the picture closely - this is what £6.75 buys you if you go where the tourists go. (I'll be back to my 'locals' site, later in the week.)

Sandwich 001.JPG

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
A bit of good and bad day yesterday.
My second ever ride of 70 miles but it took all day with too many stops. I made it to Jodrell Bank despite the ridewithgps route cues not working on my phone. So I had to keep stopping to check the route and still made lots of wrong turnings. Because I stopped so many times my legs never really got going. I had been looking forward to cycling there for the first time and I was so determined to get there, but in hind sight I should have turned round at Tatton Park and done a ride where I knew where I was going. Normally I don't mind when I can't keep up with the faster group as we meet up at the cafe stop but unsurprisingly,they'd left by the time I got there. I tried to send them a message from Tatton Park where I'd stopped to try and reset the route but no signal for me and when I got to Jodrell Bank I discovered that you have to turn your phone off anyway. Rather than have the same problem on the return, I set Google Maps on voice to direct me home but it was one of those weird all round the houses routes that had me struggling to know what it meant in a few places. However I did enjoy the country lanes as always and the beginning and end of the ride went well.

Anyway, I took a few pictures..

Some deer in Tatton Park

IMG_20160522_121317276.jpg

Saiing at Tatton Park

IMG_20160522_120912479.jpg

First glimpse of the famous telescope

IMG_20160522_131057023.jpg

In the cafe at Jodrell Bank, watching the rain.

IMG_20160522_133314134_HDR.jpg

The bike shed was flooded when I came out but the rain had stopped.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday, I woke up at 04.30 and seriously thought about getting out for the long ride I'd planned the night before. I ended up getting out at 09.00 for a short 25 mile pootle to Felixstowe. :whistle: (Dunwich will have to wait.)

I decided to treat myself to a coffee and a bacon sandwich at The Ferry Café. (The crisps were apparently garnish.)
Please study the picture closely - this is what £6.75 buys you if you go where the tourists go. (I'll be back to my 'locals' site, later in the week.)

View attachment 129501
For £6.75, I would at least expect a little umbrella in the coffee, and plastic sword skewering the bacon sarnie!

Gorgeous morning although a bit chilly and a good ride in to work;was that bit earlier so A10 was relatively quiet and the Cam cycle path too,just a couple of rowing coaches and some runners/joggers.

Turned on to the path at Waterbeach and as I approached the river saw the mist over the water lit up by the sun so had to stop for a quick pic;

IMG_20160524_063752617.jpg

Pity I had to go to work but needs must I suppose.

Good grief!!
There used to be a café (closed about 2 years ago), up in Otley, where it was always said that £5 would buy you an uneatable amount of food, & then be able to ride up the hills, be it east, north, or south
NB; it closed because owners were retiring, & (allegedly) offered a good sum of money for the site, not due to charging insufficient to cover costs

No date on the photo-file, but this was their price-board; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/photo-of-the-day-cyclist-friendly-cafés.200246/#post-4270876

Old jon

Guru
This sunshine just keeps happening, and I keep taking advantage of it. Otley seemed a good idea, high enough in the Wharfe valley for it to be visibly a valley, so hills and scenery come for free, if sweat costs nowt. So its hi ho Holbeck and Office Lock for the towpath to Viaduct Road, Cardigan Road and the journey through Headingley to cross the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Straight on, through Bramhope and turn right at the Dyneley Arms and that wonderful swoop down Pool Bank, then along the valley bottom road to Otley. I must have been feeling fit or daft or something, I decided to go on to Weston, in fact almost into Askwith, where I saw a good looking spot to eat and drink, so that is what I did.

The only way is back, or on to Denton Bridge to cross the river and ride the main road back to Otley. Little to be seen except traffic, I would rather be up the valley side a bit, so straight back to Otley.

Up the Leeds Road out of there, turn right just past the puritan chapel in Bramhope for the up and downery to the top of Cookridge, from where it is downhill most of the way back through Headingley, Kirkstall and back on the towpath to return to Office Lock and that little bit of Hunslet to cut through to get me home after 34.3 sunny and breezy miles. Smile time.

24052016.jpg

Spartak