Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
First ever charity event completed today decided to go big with the 50miles and survived thanks to @Lee gg who helped me around.

Feeling great no aches and pains so it's safe to say my body is adapting to bigger distances.

We may have been one of the last over the line but there is always next year to better my time.
20160522_094332.jpg
20160522_115536.jpg
20160522_150607.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having got back on a turbo last Friday (and Saturday) after my crash in late April it was time to test my now-healing ribs and hip on the road.

I persuaded my youngest to take me on a 6-mile test ride, which turned into 17 miles as I wasn't stopping when started. We rode to Pugney's water park near Wakefield for an ice cream.

du6LXe-0T-_nNnBR4FYvzKMbsBPbyeQbXQ66p_Qhhtc-2048x1152.jpg

It was a chance to test the Superstar Components wheelset as well, or at least the rear wheel. The result: a bit skittish on the road so best reserved for speed/track riding.

I'm tired and the ribs still hurt a bit over bumps but it's getting better. Slowly. Bib shorts appear to help the hip bursitis but I've only got 1 pair that's big enough, so I've been on eBay for more.

Last edited:

Stevec047

Über Member
Having got back on a turbo last Friday (and Saturday) after my crash in late April it was time to test my now-healing ribs and hip on the road.

I persuaded my youngest to take me on a 6-mile test ride, which turned into 17 miles as I wasn't stopping when started. We rode to Pugney's water park near Wakefield for an ice cream.

du6LXe-0T-_nNnBR4FYvzKMbsBPbyeQbXQ66p_Qhhtc-2048x1152.jpg

It was a chance to test the Superstar Components wheelset as well, or at least the rear wheel. The result: a bit skittish on the road so best reserved for speed/track riding.

I'm tired and the ribs still hurt a bit over bumps but it's getting better. Slowly. Bib shorts appear to help the hip bursitis but I've only got 1 pair that's big enough, so I've been on eBay for more.
Well done for getting back out on the bike decent milage as well considering your still healing.

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Out with Wakefield Triathlon Club again this morning
Last weeks was a 'level 2' group (good beginners & intermediates, aka 'cake ride')

Today, I went with the 'level 3' group, fairly decent riders
Although I was already suffering a bit on arriving at Pugneys, as I was the only one (out of 10) in bib-tights:rolleyes:
Plus, I was on the 'blue Ribble', so at least 5Ib heavier than any of theirs

We had to keep regrouping though, by slowing down, or heading back to road junctions & hills
Some of the hills, whilst nowhere near Rosedale Chimney, or White Horse Bank, split the group
I wasn't last, on any climb (bar one, when I'd ridden on, to catch a rider, who's missed the turn) despite my stubbornness, in not gearing down too much, the lowest I used was a '19' sprocket (50/34 chainset) whilst most others were probably climbing on 25's & 26 sprockets

I managed to keep pace, or pass some on the hills (it'll be the Gran Fondo next time, I'll be in shorts, & use the full cassette!)
Graham, our leader was proudly wearing his 'Ronde van Calderdale' arm-warmers, so he's definitely used to steep hills
'Ronde' = http://thehelloftheworth.blogspot.co.uk/

Come the end, & splitting of our ways, we'd (according to one Garmin) ridden about 45 miles (circa 15 to go for me to get home), & climbed about 3,800 feet
Not bad for a few West Riding roads!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't mind admitting, I was glad to get home, & take the bib-tights off
icon_rolleyes.gif

NB;
Graham, our leader was proudly wearing his 'Ronde van Calderdale' arm-warmers, so he's definitely used to steep hills ^_^

2. I did suggest to Graham, persuading my buddy Mick (also a WTC member) to ride next time, Grahams phrasing was that Mick was a 'beast' (he's a GB triathlete, in his age-group)
Can't help but agree, when I've ridden with him - even when not racing

3. 'Level 4' is, apparently, a 'gel ride' (seemingly you need them!!)

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A curious day today. Very little traffic and hardly any cyclists - why? The forecast had been showing light winds, reasonable temperatures and scattered showers for a few days, and that's exactly what we got. The results of my efforts are shown here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/584477433

There was one particular road I've been intending to check out for some time, and it forms the cross-piece at the farthest extent of today's loop. It's always good to see familiar terrain from and alternative viewpoint, when everything can look so different. There is still plenty of oilseed rape around but I had none of the issues of last weekend and felt comfortable right to the end. At one point I passed a field where the muckspreader had been in action very recently, and it had a noticeably cleansing effect on my airways!

I now have a bike to clean!

Surlydave

Über Member
A great day for a ride up to Darsham and back with Suffolk Ctc after the strong breeze on
Saturday. We left Ipswich and headed northwards to one of our regular 11s stop at Snape
Maltings. Our merry band continued through the RSPB reserve at Minsmere to Darsham.
The only thing of note on our journey was passing the convoy of trucks taking all the
equipment to the reserve in preparation for BBC Springwatch. Lunch was excellent,
probably the biggest ploughmans I have seen. A quick tea stop at Hasketon followed.
In all just over 63 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/584509398

toffee

Guru
Out on our road bikes today. Total of 39.7 miles at 14.5 mph. Speed seems to be going up with each ride. Seemed quite warm before we set out so I decided to take my base layer off. Half a miles down the road that seemed a poor choice as a cool wind wipped through my top.

Quite a pleasant ride, called into the community shop at Twyford for a tea a a slice of cake.

_20160522_194858.JPG

We had a few cyclists bust a gut to overtake a few times. Most notably the couple of roadies who over took us then immediately hit the brakes to turn right.:ohmy:

Legs felt the increase speed today but not helped by the 5 mile walk this afternoon. Fitbit has a lot to answer for.^_^

Derek

PS Next weekends ride is a camping trip. Just hope it doesn't rain.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today's ride was on the tandem and early on was Mrs Daves first ascent over Chapel Hill from Haslingfield to Barrington, she did really well.
From there we went through Shepreth and Fowlmere before crossing the A505.
Our aim was Great Chishill, the highest point in Cambridgeshire, it's a long arduous drag. Toward the top are good views, augmented by the beautiful green manure crop of Phacelia
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

At the village we stopped at the church, it's becoming an obsession!
image.jpeg

From here it's a great ride to Wendens Ambo, down hill, winding through quiet countryside.
Next came Audley End
image.jpeg

We stopped in Saffron Walden at Bicicletta and had a nice bacon roll and a chat with a couple on solo bikes that hanker after a tandem, it's a cool thing to do..
image.jpeg

A steady climb up to Ashdon and just beyond the village somebody said 'I'm getting tired'. I decided to ease off a touch, but I played deaf. Make nothing of it!

Once beyond Linton we took a quiet lane to Balsham, we had another big drag to climb up. Once there we sat in a field corner for some flapjack and a rest.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

From Balsham to Cambridge there are a couple of long hills, but also some good slopes for a bit of speed.
We stopped in town for an ice cream, as did everyone else...
image.jpeg

The bike is a Dutch WorkCycle ^^^
Just Madingley hill to scale and then home.
56.9 miles with 1,800' of climbing. Jo's longest and hilliest ride to date!

https://www.strava.com/activities/584502360

Yesterday was the Boudicca sportive with the three guys I'll be with on the club team at Ride London.

On what had threatened to be a lousy day ended up so nice I got sunburnt again,nicand easy start but things were getting harder than they should have been;was having to do a lot of effort on what should have been a releatively steady pace for me.
Started to get hot so layers were removed and realised something was affoot when free-wheeling on a downhill section everyone was flying past me like my brakes were rubbing.

So got to the first stop and guess what?yep brakes were rubbing:rolleyes::banghead:

Suitably adjusted the rest of the ride was somewhat easier:laugh:

Cracking route and a nice steady pace was kept as we got used to riding as a foursome meant I could appreciate the scenery and the many churches we went past.

Not the paciest 100 but enjoyable one and good training for the London ride were I think we'll be fine.

https://www.strava.com/activities/584642937

And all of us at the end with our finishers mugs,with a bloke photobombing on the right!(that's me third from left)

WzoUjnVHkPN4caqeiz6y_g9zxEQPQUVZ3NHF5mc9Wyw-2048x1536.jpg

Top Bottom