Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
A good 106km yesterday morning with just over 1000m of going up.
Quite a flattish ride apart from the first 9km which had 190m of going up:sweat:, 21m per km(110 ft per mile) and a straight forward cat 4 after 96km.
Not very warm and a strong breeze, average 20mph apparently.
Even had a short but heavy shower, just before a technical descent, not very good at going down hills and even worse when it's wet:eek:.
Always try to use a route where I have a tailwind on the way back home. Managed the last 6km in just under 10 minutes with not that much effort^_^.

Lots of standing water and mud at the start due to overnight rain:sad:.
C0003(1).jpg

It was very dark just before the rain, the picture doesn't capture how dark it was. Needed the lights from the lorry to see the road surface:eek:.
C0006(1).jpg

Just as I'm about to go down a "scary for me" descent the rain pours down:eek:.
C0006(2).jpg

Lots of lovely new tarmac on many of the country tracks I used on the way back^_^.
C0003(1).jpg

Started off the recovery with some lovely fruit scones and a large mug of hot tea:smile:.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yesterday the fragrant MrsP and I upgraded the group set on her road bike( she did most of it, I mainly got in the way) so today was test ride day, so of to Wallingford via, Blewbury and Cholsey, stopped off at the Rides on Air LBS where they kindly tightened the crank with torque wrench and then we had a very nice coffee and lemon drizzle cake in their cafe, before setting off back home. Miraculously all the new components work as they should , neither of us fitted new bike parts before. 17.64 round trip, on cool, dry blustery day.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Holland, Day 6. No ride yesterday, as we drove off around the other side of the Ijsselmeer for the day, so I got out good and early this morning (Saturday) to make up for lost time. Another 31.7 pan flat miles on the clock. As usual, I started the day by reminding myself: "Remember, in this country they drive on the wrong side of the road" ... only to find once again that it didn't matter a damn which side of the road I rode on as I had the roads to myself. Headed off for a big clockwise loop taking in Zwartsluis, Vollenhove and Blokzijl as well as a detour to take in a local windmill and heading back across the marshes so that I could call in at the stork nests again and return via the little ferry I found the other day. I've already posted pictures of most of these places, so I'll show a little restraint this time.
Here's a gratuitous windmill shot instead:
166 Monnickenmolen windmill, Vollenhove.JPG

Did a proper tour of Blokzijl this time, as it is my favourite little place around here. Watched boats coming through the locks from the little harbour into the river/canal system for a few minutes (but not before doing a nasty wobble right by the dock edge with potentially comic results).
169.JPG

170.JPG

Stopped off at a nice little cafe called the Eetcafe Sluiszicht by the lifting bridge in the middle of town and sat in the sunshine for a few minutes consuming coffee and apple pie while watching the boats go by.
171 From the Sluiszicht Cafe.JPG

Then back through the marshes, following my trusty widescreen "Flatnav" back to the little ferry at Jonen. This time there were a couple of other cyclists to share my ferry. Another 1 Euro 10 cents to travel three times the length of the ferry! (But worth it for the unique experience and to avoid a 15 mile detour).
172 Flatnav.JPG

By the time I get my last ride in tomorrow evening, I'll have pretty much covered the whole area around Giethoorn. Once again, in case anyone missed it in my earlier post, I thoroughly recommend the place as a centre for a safe family cycling holiday. We have been staying at the Waterresort Bodelaeke, which is a bit like the lodges at the Cotswold Water Park, and it is an ideal base for seeing Giethoorn and for exploring the marshes or messing about on the water. Still no hills that would register on a spirit level, though. I'll have to put that right as soon as I get home.
Cheers, Donger.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles this day, with a stop at the warehouse with hundreds of bicycles, just to see what was going on. (What was going on was that the owner of said warehouse had no idea it was so full of junk. He had called in recyclers to assess the situation. ) I then resumed my ride after ascertaining there were no pannier racks to be had. Saw but one other cyclist, a regular rider in these parts. Sad, because the weather was sooooooooo nice.
66F
19C
Relative humidity 70%
Winds E7
Barometer 30.13
Overcast, with sprinkles at times.
Good speed for the commuter bike.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up and out early again due to waking up after a bad dream and could not get back to sleep.

No planned route just take it as it comes headed for Wilby up and over Hardwater along to Grendon , Easton Maudit ,Bozest then Harrold ,Carlton with a break at Felmersham.

WP_20160703_003.jpg
WP_20160703_004.jpg

Then I headed homeward through Odell and discovered it had a castle

WP_20160703_005.jpg
WP_20160703_006.jpg

Then re be traced my route to the end of the Bozeat straight and carried on to Hinwick ,Irchester and Little Irchester before coming home via the town centre.

All in 32 miles 10 short of my intended total due to various reasons but either way a nice ride.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've just got back from a 10 mile run whilst on the the run I saw a lot of bicyclists on The Ridgeway on road bikes which I thought was odd because its unpaved track, apparently its
The Lapierre White Roads Classic, it looks like a lot of fun. I wish I'd known about it before, I would have liked to have done it. I saw one bloke come a cropper over the bars but he was OK.

Last edited:
U

User19783

I've just got back from a 10 mile rune whilst on the the run I saw a lot of bicyclists on The Ridgeway on road bikes which I thought was odd because its unpaved track, apparently its
The Lapierre White Roads Classic, it looks like a lot of fun. I wish I'd known about it before, I would have liked to have done it. I saw one bloke come a cropper over the bars but he was OK.

Shift Working is a right pain in the a***e,
I would of liked to ridden that too,
The drop down from the Ridgeway to Streatley is very fast , with a jump half way down, great on a mtb but on a road bike :ohmy:
:B)

Firestorm

Veteran
Cracked the next milestone, 50.7 miles !
Usual route through Barling , Rochford and Canewdon , into a bit of a breeze when heading west. Decided to got to Battlesbridge and have a quick glug from my bottle and stuff an individual malt loaf down my throat.
Even had time to take a piccy, no wall , but I am sure a fence will suffice.
Returned the same way with a detour to Wallesea over the mud flats and a few loops round Barling to add a couple of miles.
Struggled over the last few miles, mainly as the extra loops had east to west lengths in them and the breeze seemed to be picking up across the flatlands.
Overall 3.40 ave 13.8 usual 650 feet of Essex bumps
FB_IMG_1467547051906.jpg

13 rider

Guru
As I am away on holiday the last 2 weeks of July and a busy schedule for the other 2 weekends I am struggling to fit in all my challenge rides 100km,50km and 50mile so today the target as get the 100km in the 50 mile next week and possiblely do the 50km in Cornwall . Arranged to meet mate Andy at 0900 for an hours ride but up early so out at 0745 .Up through Newtown Linford up Sharply hill and out to Beacon crossroads and out up Charley Rd .Went left then down Forest road to Loughborough into Quorn and still had plenty of time so over the river to Barrow and back to Mountsorrel .Andy not there yet so a quick loop round the block and meets up with Andy quick chat about where and how far .He's just coming back from injury so a short flattish route .So back to Quorn ,Woodhouse and Swithland and out to Cropston reservoir through Cropston to Rothley and back to Mountsorrel and then rode back to Sileby where Andy turned for home leaving me to complete the miles. Headed up the Wreake valley Through Ratcliffe on the Wreake where I caught a couple with numbers on their backs I seen sportive signs . Rode a few miles with them chatting they were doing reservoir cogs 112 mile route which would the be the ladies furthest ride wished them luck as they stopped at the feed station and I continued passing a few other sportive riders before I turned the opposite way and headed across the A607 onto the rolling lanes around Gaddesby .Back across the A607 into Rearsby and retrace my route back up the Wreake valley to Cossington and headed to Rothley I was passed a speed by 3 riders with team Botterill shirts and sportive numbers on the were properly flying . At the lights at Rothley chatted with some other Sportive riders who I knew were 20 miles from the finish and was surprised they got this far until they told me they were on the 50 mile route . Slight extended route home to get 100km in through Rothley into Cropston and Anstey .64.2 miles done and July's 100km in the bag at 16.2 mph

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Out through Weston and Clothall, and down into Baldock. One of the local motorbike clubs was obviously having a run - a lot of old British bikes and old two strokes. And the MG place had what looked like my old kit car in the window. It was actually an MG TD, a snip at £28000.
On to Letchworth for breakfast at Gregg's, then ho e via William and the Wymondleys. About 20 miles or so. I really must start getting out earlier on a Sunday.

Top Bottom