Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I went from Colwyn Bay to Penmawmaur this morning which equals to 21 miles but came back absolutely knackered! I have signed up for the Tour de Mon sportive on August 21st , which is 40 miles long and I am worried. I am nowhere fit enough to cover that distance yet so , as soon as school breaks up , on the 20th, I intend to cycle 5 days out of 7 to build up to it otherwise I have no chance of completing it. Even the jelly babies didn't help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Same route as Thursday just gone, 34 miles.
Breezy out, looked forward to the turnround point at Bulwick...fat chance, never really got the tailwind, hows that work then :cry:
Still, bright and mild for the most part, occasional cloud blocking out the sun but overall quite nice.
Didn't conciously work harder or easier than Thursday but made 15.5 mph average, Thursdays was 14.
Lots of raptors about, odd Red Kite everywhere some peeoooo'ing to each other, some in trees...two Buzzard circling trees between Southwick and Fotheringhay, again, calling out to each other. One tiny tiny thing flitted across the road in front of me...eh, whats that...oh of course, a wren, you dont often see them. Then in the last couple miles homeward, Chesterton, a farmer was cutting grass on a large fiwld where the PYO is, a couple cars stopped and people intently watching...there must have been 6 to 10 Red Kite wheeling around over the field, all less than 30ft high, lovely sight.​

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Almost half nine by the time I got out this morning, but although it was still a bit breezy the weather was a lot more suited to cycling than yesterday.
The wind was forecast to be from the WSW, so I thought a run to Otley might do the trick - I'd be against the wind in parts on the outbound trip, but would have it roughly behind me on the return. Or that was the idea anyway...

After being under-dressed yesterday, I added arm warmers and knee warmers to the bib shorts and short sleeved jersey and think I got it just about right today. :okay:

So, out and onto Coal Road only to find cones and a road closed sign across the road at the junction with Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane! So it was left and out onto Wetherby Road, then a quick scoot down to the Wellington pub and left onto Whin Moor Lane for the alternative route to Shadwell - @Old jon has often mentioned this route but it's the first time I've ridden it. It's much nicer than the way I normally go, so it won't be the last time. Into Shadwell without the faff of climbing all the way up Main Street and on to Slaid Hill lights, where it's a quick right and then left onto Wigton Lane for the run along to Alwoodley Gates, where I hit the traffic lights on green for the first time ever(!) and on up Alwoodley Lane. I could hear cheering ahead, but sadly it wasn't for me but the Eccup 10-mile run which was heading towards me in a coned off section of road before diverting off to run around the reservoir.
On reaching the junction with King Lane, it looked like my plans were about to be well scuppered as the road to the right was closed and coned off. :eek:
Figuring you get further with sugar than salt, I had a cheery chat with one of the marshals and he waved me through - "You'll be alright on a bike lad, I think they're all through just take care if you see any runners". ^_^ So I set off and thoroughly enjoyed riding on car free roads that can normally be a bit of a rat run, all the way past Five Lane Ends and up past Golden Acre Park to the Kings Road turning, where I was waved through again on Arthington Lane past the feed station and carrying on to Black Hill Lane where I got ready to cycle off the edge of the earth.
According to Mr Garmin, I hit 38.3 mph down there :hyper:. A braver soul could probably have added another 10 mph on to that, but it's a bit too narrow and twisty for much faster from me...:rolleyes:
Out onto the A659 and left through Arthington village and on towards Pool-in-Wharfdale. Right at the roundabout and over the bridge past the showground where the Arthington Fair was being held, then left onto the B6161 down past the farm, taking the left over the single track bridge and then the long climb up Farnley Lane, getting passed by a couple of other riders on the way :bicycle:
Eventually reached the top and was rewarded by the quick descent into Newall, making sure to obey the 30mph speed limit :whistle: then stopping for a bit of banana malt loaf over looking the weir:
IMG_20160703_104843749_2.jpg

Apparently there was a Civil War re-enactment at the park this afternoon but I didn't have time to hang about to see who would win.
Sustenance sorted, back on the bike and over the bridge into Otley and through the town centre before climbing out of town up to Leeds Road and the long climb up to the Dyneley Arms. Kept it spinning and enjoyed the views over Wharfedale in the glorious sunshine as I climbed - sorry no pics as that would have meant stopping. :rolleyes:
A bit of a faff at the lights as the car driver at the front decided to wave through virtually every vehicle turning right across us, meaning that he was the only one to get through the lights...:dry:
Anyway, once through the lights it's downhill all the way through Bramhope to the Kings Road junction, past the "road ahead closed" signs and up the sharp hill past the quarry. Waved through again by the same cheery marshal and enjoyed car free roads all the way back up to Alwoodley Lane.
From there I retraced my outbound route all the way across the A61, through Slaid Hill and Shadwell and my new favourite lane back out onto Wetherby Road.
I've got to say that the assistance from the breeze on the way back didn't seem anywhere near the hindrance it had been on the way out, but what can you do?
Down Red Hall Lane and seeing I was going to come up short on miles (again!), decided to head out on Skeltons Lane (wind assisted:hyper:) and then turn round and ride back down it the other way (into the wind:bicycle:) to add a couple of miles on.
Back onto Coal Road and local roads down to home, with a final loop of the block to push the mileage on a little more.

32.27 miles (51.93 km) in 2h 20m at an average of 13.8 mph with 1,696ft climbed. A bit slower than usual but I'll put that down to the extra climbing and the head wind on the way out, but all in a good mornings cycling and another entry in the half century challenge.

03072016.png

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
25 mile pootle with our lass this morning. I'd been chatting to a lad at work a while ago and he wanted a new bike but didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I suggested he went to Decathlon and have a look at their bikes. Bumped into him this morning on his shiny new flat bar Triban 520. A lovely bike for £380. Anyway he seems to have caught the :bicycle:bug, he'd done 16 miles when I spoke to him and he was just stopping for some food.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a week of cycling in France it was only right to go for a ride today.
We set off toward Toft, within 2 miles I'd nearly been hit twice by cars! There was a lack of wildflowers too. Merde!
Over the A1198 and toward the fragrance free maggot farm
image.jpeg

Jo commented on how rough the roads feel here, we've definitely been spoiled this last week.
Down we went to Gamlingay past the church
image.jpeg

And stopped at the verge
image.jpeg

A couple of miles up the road we stopped at Waresley garden centre for a pot of tea and half a caramel slice.
Whilst there Mrs Dave posted on faceache about having cycled 200 miles this week, but it doesn't get easier. One of her friends replied that it doesn't get easier, you just get quicker.....
She held my wheel for most of the way home, but down the straight from Caldecote I sped off, I went round the roundabout twice... But she didn't know that until I crept up on her coming into Hardwick.
So once home the average speed was 13.5mph..... She is getting quicker:eek:
25 and a half miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/628823778

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 49

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick spin out to Acton Burnell and back with my brother today. After a lot of recent inactivity he not only wanted to get out for a ride but was determined that he wanted to set a good time.:hyper: Suits me.^_^

After 63 miles yesterday I wasn't sure how the saddle on the Raleigh would feel but to be honest it felt as good as if I'd come to it fresh. Happy with that - I'm slowly breaking it in..

The ride went pretty well. No incidents to report and Doug set a decent pace at the start although he flagged a bit from about 3/4 of the way round and needed two stops during the trip for a breather.

A fraction over 17 miles at 14.3 mph average. Very respectable for Doug and he seems enthusiastic to do more rides in the next few days which is a big result as far as I'm concerned.:thumbsup:

DSC0003631.jpg

DSC0003632.jpg

This ride wasn't about photography so these are just a couple of snaps from the first stop about 7 miles in.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
A smashing ride with some fellow cycle chatters meeting at Purley and then going to Brighton and back someone will be along to give a detailed route im sure I can't because I don't know it :biggrin:. I know we went past Gatwick and up Ditchling Beacon...
image_zpsw1hmxjzp.jpe

Then we had fish & chips on the beach..
image_zpsufopnvgv.jpe

Then we rode back on some glorious roads. A smashing day with a smashing bunch of gents. Had to add a personal little detour on the end of the ride to get over a ton I was flagging I'm not gonna lie :heat: totally fallen In love with my new bike happy days :thumbsup:

165.4 km's (102.7 miles) with 1445 meters of climbing in a time of 6 hours 47 with a 24.4 kph avg (15.1 mph).

https://www.strava.com/activities/628848271/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB

Cheers
Mark

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First weekend of the month which meant it was time to knock out the Imperial Century a Month Challenge.

Myself, @martint235 and @crazyjoe101 met in Bromley, picking up the ledge that is @arallsopp on route to Croydon where waiting for us was @Pale Rider , @mark st1 and @RedRider . Soon to be joined by @User .

So that was 8 of us for the ride and it really was a jolly jape. Even the five minutes of rain at Pease Pottage didn't put a dampener on things. Though the clouds did threaten more. They looked very black and very heavy with rain. It did look like they dumped a fair amount of rain ahead of us, as for a while the roads were very wet with a fair few puddles to contend with.

Taking the main roads route meant that it wasn't long until we were at Hassocks and heading for Ditchling Beacon. We had a few Ditchling beacon first timers with us, but all got to the top easy enough.

The gang cresting Ditchling Beacon.

20160703_112232s-jpg.133857.jpg

20160703_112114s-jpg.133859.jpg

20160703_112026s-jpg.133860.jpg

20160703_112019s-jpg.133861.jpg

Atop Ditchling Beacon

20160703_112007s-jpg.133862.jpg

Poppy Fields atop Ditchling Beacon
20160703_112058s-jpg.133863.jpg

A nice run down to Brighton (well up again over the gold course) and we hit Brighton beach near enough dead on noon. Waiting for us was @StuAff and @Racing roadkill who had cycled from Portsmouth and Southampton respectively.

Fish and Chips on Brighton beach with the gang.
20160703_130205s-jpg.133864.jpg

The return for some of us was a gloriously, warm, tailwinded affair, also helped the the youthful legs of @crazyjoe101... oh to be young and fit again.

All in all, a really great day's riding. A great route (well I think so) and great people.
Thanks all for coming guys, much appreciated.

July's Imperial Century Challenge ride done and dusted.
Imperial Century # 18 for the year, # 184 over all.
And a couple of future Eddington numbers to boot.

And the stats.

030716-jpg.133865.jpg

Edit: Oh yes... saw this on the ride home.. say no more..
20160703_143832s.jpg

Gareth C

Veteran
A windy day in Weardale, but seeing the riders of the Tour de France dealing with headwinds, and inspired by microadventures not to waste opportunities, I took the road bike out into the dales.

screen-shot-2016-07-03-at-14-11-57.png

The plan was to head out from Stanhope to Rookhope via the “hilly route” that I’d not been on before. The sudden steepness and headwind meant I was questioning the wisdom of the ride, and contemplated turning back. However, as height was gained, the views opened out, and I realised how lucky I was to have this kind of countryside on the doorstep.

wp_20160703_10_06_40_pro.jpg
wp_20160703_10_13_22_pro.jpg
beautiful-weardale.jpg
wp_20160703_10_15_52_pro.jpg

Following the steep descent into Rookhope, it was clear plenty of people were on the coast-to-coast route. I zipped past a bunch of guys near the pub, and there was a big group pushing up the steep off-road climb up onto the moors. I was heading against the flow, climbing (still into the wind), whereas it seemed an endless flow of coast-to-coasters were flying down the hill with the tailwind pushing them on.

wp_20160703_10_46_12_pro.jpg
wp_20160703_10_46_25_pro.jpg

The old mine workings in the valley were looking good now summer is well-and-truly here. The fields are green and all the wild flowers are out.

On reaching the summit, more coast-to-coasters taking a breather at the big cairn, having just completed the stiff climb out of Allenheads (albeit wind-assisted). I had the steep descent, with the wind blowing me around, making me take more care than usual. At the bottom, I was feeling good, so didn’t need the cafe stop, and turned left to head back over the top to Weardale.

wp_20160703_11_14_56_pro.jpg
wp_20160703_11_25_08_pro.jpg

On the descent to Cowshill, I found a limekiln, a footpath post covered in lichen, and grass seeds with amazing colours.

wp_20160703_11_28_54_pro.jpg
wp_20160703_11_29_05_pro.jpg
wp_20160703_11_29_19_pro.jpg

By now, I was heading back, so was generally going downhill, and had a tailwind. From the hard work earlier in the day, I now felt like a cycling superhero. I did stop off in Chatterbox Cafe in St. John’s Chapel for a quick lunch, before a fast return to Stanhope on the back roads.

wp_20160703_12_24_02_pro.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Holland, Day 7. My last holiday ride, and a lovely bit of evening sunshine turned up just in time after a rainy day in these parts. Another 20.5 miles done, bringing it to a total of 138.6 miles in 7 rides around the Giethoorn area and its wetlands National Park. Unfortunately my camera lens was mucky, so some nice photos had to be discarded. I still quite like this one of a stork on someone's chimney pot in Veendijk:
174 Stork on roof, Veendijk.JPG

I did an anti-clockwise loop this evening through Giethoorn and out to the East, crossing under the A32 motorway and turning North for Steenwijk. It wasn't meant to be a loop at all . I just wondered what was on the other side of the motorway, stopped to take the above picture, and then got chased away by a large and particularly unfriendly Alsatian, forcing me to find another route home. During my escape I got hit on the side of the head by a suicidal swift, which fluttered a bit, crapped itself on my shoulder and flew off, presumably wondering how a human can move that fast:
175 Birdstrike.JPG

Well, my "Flatnav" did me proud again this week. Here are the bits I did in my seven rides (highlighted in pink):
176 A week's worth of rides in Holland.JPG

The next shot was not taken from the bike, but was of something I came across earlier in the day when waiting for a lifting bridge to open.
All I can say is "Dear Santa Claus, I WANT ONE OF THOSE!"
177 I want one of these.JPG

Heading back home tomorrow, so back down to Earth from cycling Nirvana. Oh well. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Best weather here today in what seems like weeks. Rode over to Burwell Fen and then around Wicken- familiar country for me so only a couple of pics today.

image.jpeg

Burwell Lode from the bridge.

image.jpeg

Burwell Fen. A couple of distant marsh harriers were the highlights. The cuckoos, or the adults anyway seem to have headed south already. It's over a week now since I last heard one.

18.5 miles in total at a blistering 9mph average!

rugby bloke

Veteran
Not feeling inspired by my usual long ride I decided to just follow my wheels and tack a few regular routes together. The wind had dropped from yesterday byt was still sharp at times and the temperature was pretty perfect for me. A few notables - I had forgotten quite what a pull it is from Hardwater up to Wilby, I was blowing like an old steam train by the top. Had a bit of a moment turning left in Wilby onto the Mears Ashby road, the road surface at the junction was more grit than tarmac, with predicable results. It was pretty busy around Sywell for the airshow, although I did not see anything of interest in the air. The ride settled down after all this excitement, until I got the bit between my teeth on the decent from Holcot and missed the turning to Mouton College, requiring am unplanned loop of the Moutlon one way system. Passing over the canal bridge at Stoke Bruerne there was much Morris Dancing and beer drinking type activity, it would have been lovely to stop but there were still some miles to cover. By the end 68 miles cycled.

A very random route - looks like a drunk getting of the night bus !

upload_2016-7-4_9-3-19.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/628699672

Top Bottom