Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
First weekend of the month which meant it was time to knock out the Imperial Century a Month Challenge.

Myself, @martint235 and @crazyjoe101 met in Bromley, picking up the ledge that is @arallsopp on route to Croydon where waiting for us was @Pale Rider , @mark st1 and @RedRider . Soon to be joined by @User .

So that was 8 of us for the ride and it really was a jolly jape. Even the five minutes of rain at Pease Pottage didn't put a dampener on things. Though the clouds did threaten more. They looked very black and very heavy with rain. It did look like they dumped a fair amount of rain ahead of us, as for a while the roads were very wet with a fair few puddles to contend with.

Taking the main roads route meant that it wasn't long until we were at Hassocks and heading for Ditchling Beacon. We had a few Ditchling beacon first timers with us, but all got to the top easy enough.

The gang cresting Ditchling Beacon.

20160703_112232s-jpg.133857.jpg

20160703_112114s-jpg.133859.jpg

20160703_112026s-jpg.133860.jpg

20160703_112019s-jpg.133861.jpg

Atop Ditchling Beacon

20160703_112007s-jpg.133862.jpg

Poppy Fields atop Ditchling Beacon
20160703_112058s-jpg.133863.jpg

A nice run down to Brighton (well up again over the gold course) and we hit Brighton beach near enough dead on noon. Waiting for us was @StuAff and @Racing roadkill who had cycled from Portsmouth and Southampton respectively.

Fish and Chips on Brighton beach with the gang.
20160703_130205s-jpg.133864.jpg

The return for some of us was a gloriously, warm, tailwinded affair, also helped the the youthful legs of @crazyjoe101... oh to be young and fit again.

All in all, a really great day's riding. A great route (well I think so) and great people.
Thanks all for coming guys, much appreciated.

July's Imperial Century Challenge ride done and dusted.
Imperial Century # 18 for the year, # 184 over all.
And a couple of future Eddington numbers to boot.

And the stats.

030716-jpg.133865.jpg

Edit: Oh yes... saw this on the ride home.. say no more..
View attachment 133869
Brilliant stuff. Not much to add to this and @mark st1 reports except...
As one of the Ditchling first timers, thanks to all for leading me over and then the various tows and windbreaks offered or stolen on the way back . Great route and the A23 was a pleasanr surprise. 107 miles in all for me.
Be interested to see the average rolling speed of the return leg if anyone has the data to hand, I imagine it was 50mph or something except for @arallsopp who must have been north of 70. (One of the joys was following Andy and seeing the double takes and wide eyed reactions to the speeding recumbent.)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Moffat to Newcastle over 2 days, along some of the Hadrian's Wall cycle route. Not bad for a first outing on a newly acquired bike since I brought it back from darn sarf.
Strava link.

Crossing over a very quiet M74 near Lockerbie on Sunday morning. Spot the middle lane hog heading north! No panniers for this ride; just the Carradice bag with enough stuff for a night away.

WP_20160703_09_39_22_Pro_zpsrrfv237q.jpg

Fueling up in Lockerbie:

WP_20160703_09_58_53_Pro_zpsxtfmqsrn.jpg

Crossing the River Esk at Longtown:

WP_20160703_11_55_23_Pro_zpskjfnocqz.jpg

Kirklinton, and the first of many confusing NCN signposts. NCN 7 appears to have become NCN 10... Do I turn right, or is NCN 7 straight on? No sign to tell you where NCN 7 goes! I went right.....

WP_20160703_12_39_56_Pro_zps2ljv3jhg.jpg

Another problem with NCN signage is that council cutbacks mean bushes no longer get trimmed. There is a sign in there telling cyclists to turn right, which I was lucky to spot as I passed..

WP_20160703_14_14_33_Pro_zpsskvfzqui.jpg

Rolling hills:

WP_20160703_14_20_36_Pro_zps0jn42hjr.jpg

Is anyone still reading? :laugh: A fancy bench:

WP_20160703_13_51_59_Pro_zpsyn2wkkh6.jpg

One for the "post a pic of your bike against a wall" thread. This wall being Hadrian's.

WP_20160703_14_23_43_Pro_zpsgrk4itwd.jpg

No-one will be surprised to hear that it wasn't dry all day! I used this passing shower as an excuse to visit an exhibition about Hadrian's Wall.

WP_20160703_15_28_45_Pro_zpstjonpokg.jpg

A stretch of some of the remains of Hadrian's Wall.

WP_20160703_15_31_43_Pro_zpsx1mcsngz.jpg

An overnight stop at the excellent Wydon Farm B&B in Haltwhistle (and a lamb bhuna at The Fort Indian restaurant), then it was on to day 2. I was under the illusion that day 2 was somehow going to be flatter than day 1. Wrong! Plenty of climbing to get up here:

WP_20160704_10_29_16_Pro_zps2getwji8.jpg

A common sense railway crossing near Hexham, how refreshing! Just open the gate and walk across, but stop, look, and listen for trains.

WP_20160704_11_19_08_Pro_zpsvclxylxc.jpg

Newcastle; and the finish line. 123 miles in 2 days. I like this new bike!

WP_20160704_14_43_37_Pro_zpsqammfr4z.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
28091487855_977f11efb6_z.jpg 27988954982_696fba6587_b.jpg 27811177570_4bdd9bfd23_z.jpg
13+ miles this day. I rode across country to Towanda for July Fourth, then followed the trail back to Normal. I met several cyclists along the gravel roads to Towanda, returning from having ridden to Downs for the pancake and sausage breakfast at the fire station, then riding to Towanda for the parade, followed by the ride home to Bloomington and Normal. I did not go that far this year, as Mrs. GA cannot spare me that long, but I did get to Towanda and back, and ride back along the new Route 66 Trail. I met a fellow along the trail who had his chain go off the sprockets on his board-track racer, it looked like an honest-to goodness old one that had a newer Chinese engine on it. I also visited Dead Mans' Curve, and the "Borrow Pit". I then took Mrs. GA to buy new software, and took her to lunch(barbeque).
71F
23C
Winds NE6
Relative humidity 84%
Barometer 29.89
Overcast

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been riding daily, but nothing really noteworth since it's all been commuting. I did have a brief 14 mile pedal this morning before coming in for night shift, lovely sunny day and I'd have liked to have stayed out a lot longer, but need to sleep before work. Couple of night shifts to go, then looking to get the metric half in on Thursday or Friday.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I rode the TdF route south from Villedieu les Poêles through Brécey, between the roads being closed and the caravan coming through. To tumultuous applause, and was accompanied up one hill by a running guy dressed as a jester. Then peeled off the route and tootled through some lovely Norman villages.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual.
After reasonable finish at w*rk, I was up with the lark at 08:15 (they're quite late larks around here....)
I had no real plan in mind, or which bike to take, but had a few bits to do on the way round, and the full suss needed airing, so that was the bike of choice.
I just managed to squeeze a book I had to drop off in Duston into my backpack to a friend, intending to poke it through his letterbox. For better or worse, he was not at work, so, after a cuppa and a chat, he gave me a swap for my (thin) book for a his (fat) book!
Oh, well.. Dump the water bottle and ride back with the book, I suppose.. :tongue:
From Duston, I rode through Harleston Firs towards Kings Heath. Most of the trails in the Firs were totally overgrown, and unrideable, but as I was only passing though, I managed to not get ripped apart or nettled too much

DSC_0563.jpg

Not so many nettles in this bit :okay:

From the Firs, I cut across the bridleway to Kings Heath to another friends house for yet another chat and, this time, a coffee. As he's Brazilian, I'd expect nothing less :laugh:.
He was babysitting though, so couldn't get out for a ride, sadly. Once finished there, I had enough time to visit Pitsford Reservoir via Merry Tom Crossing and ride half a circuit before heading home ready to do my own babysitting duties with No1 grandson.

IMG_20160704_213834.jpg

Untitled.png

A most pleasant 30 mile circuit of the town before walking 4 miles to the library, pushing a buggy containing my grandson. Once he was returned safely home, I had some dinner then set of for another 6 mile ride at 18:00 to watch No1 granddaughter do her thing at the Brownies & Rainbows sports day. (where she came 3rd, then two 1st's in her running races. ^_^)

https://www.strava.com/activities/629661056

:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Great route and the A23 was a pleasanr surprise.

You're not the first to say that about the A23

This was from @robjh on a previous ride back from the coast "When I first heard the idea of riding from Crawley to Croydon on the A23 and mixing it with 60mph motor traffic I thought it sounded slightly crazy, but soon realised it was a stroke of genius "

Be interested to see the average rolling speed of the return leg if anyone has the data to hand,

On the way down my Garmin said 16.1mph avg. I got home with the Garmin showing 16.5mph, which ain't half bad considering from Brighton it's a long drag up and over the Devils Dyke, then a drag to Handcross, and another drag up the A23 to Merstham.

Old jon

Guru
Out again into the wilds ( Eh? ) of Yorkshire, my map does not reach anywhere else, and I doubt my legs would anyway. A rather familiar route today, covering 31.1 miles in roughly the same weather as yesterday.

A wander around Holbeck to start with, then through a bit of Hunslet and across the river at Crown Point Bridge, followed by that long trek to the clock at Oakwood. Past the locked gates at Roundhay Park and another hill soon appears. To the top, ride along a little to the Boot pub and turn left to head to Shadwell and Slaid Hill. Turn right to ride along Wike Ridge, through Wike itself ( do NOT blink ) and on to East Keswick. Pott’s Hill is becoming easier to climb, or maybe I am fooling myself. The run through Collingham was as pleasant as ever, the place is almost big enough to be a town these days, but it is rarely as busy as Wetherby, a couple of miles away. Anyway, at Collingham, head towards Wetherby then turn right on Wattle Syke, up to the roundabout and turn right along West Woods Road to Bramham, do not ride through the village, turn right to go to Thorner. The road always seems a harder ride than it looks, no change today.

Through the village, up Sandhills, along Skeltons and Red Hall lanes back to the A 58 and the remaining seven and a bit miles home. Most enjoyable ride.

Must take bike drawing lessons . . .

05072016.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got up this morning at 4:30 with the intention of doing the July 100 miler, but it was very windy and quite dark, plenty of rain clouds in the sky. So sat down to watch the news and fell asleep, woke up at 6:00 when our lass got up for work.

Made a brew and decided to get some scouts stuff done that I had been putting off but needed to get done before next Tuesday. Slapped Goodfellas on whilst doing it. By the time I was done it was still windy but the cloud had disappeared so I decided to go out for a few hours.

I thought the wind was a southerly/westerly so I headed that way, wasn't until I'd done about 10 miles and looked at my average speed that I realised I was heading with the wind :whistle: I soon realised how windy it was when I headed back North.

63 miles done in total, very hard work but a reasonable pace maintained for the ride, another day off tomorrow and with the forecast to be less windy I might go and do the 100 miler tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/630856729

mark st1

Plastic Manc
You're not the first to say that about the A23

This was from @robjh on a previous ride back from the coast "When I first heard the idea of riding from Crawley to Croydon on the A23 and mixing it with 60mph motor traffic I thought it sounded slightly crazy, but soon realised it was a stroke of genius "

On the way down my Garmin said 16.1mph avg. I got home with the Garmin showing 16.5mph, which ain't half bad considering from Brighton it's a long drag up and over the Devils Dyke, then a drag to Handcross, and another drag up the A23 to Merstham.

I was dreading the route back but was pleasantly surprised that first Devils Dyke decent was a bit tasty I enjoyed that. I for one never felt uneasy on the A23 quite enjoyed the pace of it. Also loved that bit going through the tunnel at Gatwick shame there were no planes to gawp at. Certainly a more sedate run than the BHF one :boxing:.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Seeing as though its Tuesday & being a creature of habit it was a midweek sortie into the New Forest today & continuing along the same vain, the sun was sort of out so I took one of the routes I only seem to do on sunny days & set out into the westerly breeze for Minstead en-route to the tree lined Ornamental Drive.
001.JPG

Next up it was down to Brockenhurst where I got stuck at the train crossing for what seemed like an age before heading back to the east & Beaulieu where I spotted this little lot on the waters edge.......
005.JPG

As I was about the leave the youngsters decided to go for a swim & showing no fear of humans headed towards me.....
009.JPG

Closely followed by mum or dad who gave a little hiss just to warn me off......
011.JPG

34.1 pleasant miles in total & just about a perfect temperature for riding.

https://www.strava.com/activities/630852872

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Three Hills Challenge today.

I've been neglecting the road bike of late, the Fragrant Mrs P has me training for a marathon happening in September, so the bike riding has taken a back seat again but seeing as I'm doing the RLS100 at the end of this month I thought I'd better get some miles in on the bike and see if I can do the ThreeBastidHills that I have not ridden since the 20th July last year. Frankly I was dreading it, I had ran three fast-ish miles this morning, so after a rest and bit of lunch I got all mamil'd up and set off towards Streatley Hill, which you may know is featured in the book "100 Mother Effing Hills To Ride Before You Die" any way I got up it dragging my lungs behind me and once up I took the long and mainly down hill towards Aldworth and Tidmarsh along quiet Oxfordshire/Berkshire country lanes then my second hill was Sulham hill, which I have been up many times, although not long it takes some getting up then a nice gentle down hill for a few miles to the edge of Tilehurst, a suburb of Reading then into Pangbourne, where I stopped for a Mocca and a Lemon Tart at the new(ish) Costa, whilst there I was feeling pretty Jacobs'd so I decided I wouldn't do the the third hill because quite frankly I couldn't be arsed.

After a break and spilling some of the hot Mocca down my crotch, I drank a cup of ManTheFeckUp and tackled the third big lump, Whitchurch Hill which is long and relentless and when you get up to the top there is about a two miles of false flat up to Crays Pond. Once there there is an even longer down hill to Goring which is brilliant and from Goring along the sweeping undulating road to to the edge of Wallingford which took me to about 30 miles.

By then I was having trouble with my cleats so I stopped for some adjusting and set off again, but the cleats were creaking, I had made them worse. I rode past The Parish Church of Saint Mary, Cholsey where Agatha Christie is buried and at the top of the hill I stopped to take the photos below. At 5pm a busy time on the roads there was little traffic and I paused for a minute or two to listen to the peace and quiet. Setting off again stopping two more times to adjust cleats I ended up riding 40.35 miles. A thoroughly lovely afternoons riding in the most beautiful countryside.

1-IMG_3573.JPG

Whats left of Didcot Power Station in the distance. Should've been gone by now but they still haven't recovered the bodies of the poor souls that lost their lives in February.

2-IMG_3574.JPG

Towards East Ilsey, very peaceful up here.

3-IMG_3575.JPG

Wallingfordish way.
4-IMG_3576.JPG

Those two lumps with the trees on left of centre is Whittenham Clumps.
THC2016.jpg

Edited for tryping ellors.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was dreading the route back but was pleasantly surprised that first Devils Dyke decent was a bit tasty I enjoyed that. I for one never felt uneasy on the A23 quite enjoyed the pace of it. Also loved that bit going through the tunnel at Gatwick shame there were no planes to gawp at. Certainly a more sedate run than the BHF one :boxing:.

I love the descents of the Devils Dyke. Though I am too much of a wuss to really let go. Best I have ever reached is 49.5mph.
The A23 is great on a Sunday, surprisingly unbusy most of the day. Would like to try it any other day though.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I love the descents of the Devils Dyke. Though I am too much of a wuss to really let go. Best I have ever reached is 49.5mph.
The A23 is great on a Sunday, surprisingly unbusy most of the day. Would like to try it any other day though.

https://www.relive.cc/view/628848271

It says on that link I got a touch over 44 mph on which I think was that first decent. Felt a lot quicker tbh. More aero position next time :biggrin:

image.jpeg
Staying up in Cumbria, headed up to Ambleside area with Mrs S and doggie.

I set forth intending to do at least Wrynose Pass and possibly Hardknott, though for various reasons we were much later starting than hoped

Set off up Wrynose , coped with all the lower slopes including the 25% section, and managed a fair way up the 30% but needed to stop. It's a right b@gger trying to get started again. 2 or 3 times managed to get going by walking little way to a favourable point.

It was quite windy and chilly up on the moors at the top.
I decided to leave Hardknott for another day

Even the ride back was much hillier than I am used to.

So although short it was hilly well over the 100 ft/ mile

still glad to have knocked off one of the toughest hills, not to worried about stopping.

Think I need to raise my ftp some more!

35.8 miles @ 12.0 mph
4104 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/631117559

Last edited:
Top Bottom